2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:45 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:... he is far more Eagle Outsider than he is Eagle Action.

so you are saying he doesn't play with a set of clubs he bought used
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:47 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Maybe, but I can tell you that for an "old man" he absolutely crushes a golf ball. Absolute bombs. And from a personality standpoint, he is far more Eagle Outsider than he is Eagle Action.

You're saying he only buys new golf clubs?
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:48 pm

God dammit. Two minutes late.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:33 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:... he is far more Eagle Outsider than he is Eagle Action.

so you are saying he likes handling long shafts
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

so you are saying he likes handling long shafts

no
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:43 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:Stop with the Willard option. Besides his 1-4 record in the NCAA tournament his teams fold down the stretch in the regular season.

I am with 2001Eagle. At Seton Hall, 5 consecutive NCAA appearances is fantastic. Who cares that they only won one game. They got their 5 times. In a row. Five appearances playing in the Big East no less! That is an incredibly hard conference to win 21+ games (a season) and get an at-large.

They are not going to get Willard but if they did, wow! That is home run no matter how much (or little) they have to pay Willard. I don't know if he'll get get BC to the National Championship, but it is a vast upgrade.

A professor at BC once told our class better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Wow I had no idea that Mark Twain taught at BC. I also didn’t know you were that old

EDIT: Upon further research, this is a Maurice Switzer quote falsely attributed to Mark Twain, as many sayings are. So fuck whatever I said and have a great rest of your day

EDIT Jr: I am also aware of my post’s irony in relation to the quote. But you guys didn’t have doubts
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:56 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:Stop with the Willard option. Besides his 1-4 record in the NCAA tournament his teams fold down the stretch in the regular season.

I am with 2001Eagle. At Seton Hall, 5 consecutive NCAA appearances is fantastic. Who cares that they only won one game. They got their 5 times. In a row. Five appearances playing in the Big East no less! That is an incredibly hard conference to win 21+ games (a season) and get an at-large.

They are not going to get Willard but if they did, wow! That is home run no matter how much (or little) they have to pay Willard. I don't know if he'll get get BC to the National Championship, but it is a vast upgrade.

A professor at BC once told our class better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Wow I had no idea that Mark Twain taught at BC. I also didn’t know you were that old

EDIT: Upon further research, this is a Maurice Switzer quote falsely attributed to Mark Twain, as many sayings are. So fuck whatever I said and have a great rest of your day

EDIT Jr: I am also aware of my post’s irony in relation to the quote. But you guys didn’t have doubts

Doubt? I haven't really thought that deeply about it. I think it was just Shoreagle trying to be a wise ass with just rhetoric because it appears he lacks both facts or math.

Look, root for whoever you want to coach this team. I don't care. I just want them to win and go for #1.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:08 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Doubt? I haven't really thought that deeply about it. I think it was just Shoreagle trying to be a wise ass with just rhetoric because it appears he lacks both facts or math.

Look, root for whoever you want to coach this team. I don't care. I just want them to win and go for #1.

You said wow, Willard would be a home run hire and even threw in The words Final Four. I’m saying that Willard will be lucky not to get run out of shit school Seton Hall after this year. He’s always been the TOB of college basketball. I want better for my alma mater.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:17 pm

Willard Schottenheimer stinks.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

You said wow, Willard would be a home run hire and even threw in The words Final Four. I’m saying that Willard will be lucky not to get run out of shit school Seton Hall after this year. He’s always been the TOB of college basketball. I want better for my alma mater.

Yeah after more than a dozen years of this college hoop horseshit at BC, the majority of the people of this site might actually be THRILLED with the TOB of college basketball. Go 21-9 every year, get an "at-large" on selection Sunday, and get clobbered by a #3 or #4 in their bracket, yeah, I'll take that for the next 5 years. Then at least we have.... HOPE! Redd was wrong Shoreagle, hope is not a dangerous thing. Andy is right, its the best of things.

Right now, we got nothing, no hope for anything.

And when the fuck did I ever say The words Final Four? I think you may have me mixed up with someone else?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:43 pm

You guys have the Leahy-hoo variant of Stockholm Syndrome. You want mediocre only because you've had absolute shit for so long. And making the tourney at Seton Hall doesn't translate to automatically doing the same at BC.

Shoot for big upside. You miss, okay. Try again. I think Eisley could be a home run. But there are other options I'm sure. Willard is not one of them.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Willard Schottenheimer stinks.

I’m going to make the case that Al Skinner was very similar. Consistent success, 20+ win teams. Post season pants shitting. Funny that we yearn for those days but turn our nose at something similar.

Al Skinner was also helped massively by his staff

I’m really playing devil’s advocate here. Willard is not my #1. But picking your brain as to why he repulses you at least clarifies the extreme opinion - most would find his consistent success is hard to argue with
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:16 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Yeah after more than a dozen years of this college hoop horseshit at BC, the majority of the people of this site might actually be THRILLED with the TOB of college basketball. Go 21-9 every year, get an "at-large" on selection Sunday, and get clobbered by a #3 or #4 in their bracket, yeah, I'll take that for the next 5 years. Then at least we have.... HOPE! Redd was wrong Shoreagle, hope is not a dangerous thing. Andy is right, its the best of things.

Right now, we got nothing, no hope for anything.

And when the fuck did I ever say The words Final Four? I think you may have me mixed up with someone else?

Last time I looked you have to make the Final Four to win a national championship. Look, you went to Northeastern, I went to BC. I want my school to aim higher than an occasional 21-9 and a first round exit from the NCAA’s. I had that with Al Skinner
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:36 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I’m going to make the case that Al Skinner was very similar. Consistent success, 20+ win teams. Post season pants shitting. Funny that we yearn for those days but turn our nose at something similar.

Al Skinner was also helped massively by his staff

I’m really playing devil’s advocate here. Willard is not my #1. But picking your brain as to why he repulses you at least clarifies the extreme opinion - most would find his consistent success is hard to argue with

Al did it in a better conference. That said, it was still mediocre. All part of Leahy--hoo variant.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:17 pm

Willard would be a turbo boost upgrade. Anyone saying otherwise is dumb or gaslighting.

He’s likely not interested in coming here regardless.

Blog boy says Gates is out. Blog boy says Eisley is out.

So unless there’s a secret Jay Wright candidacy in the offing, it appears we’re looking at Coen, Schmidt or Becker.

I’d rank those three: Schmidt, Becker, Coen in order of preference.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:30 pm

A wet shit would be an upgrade. Weak sauce thinking an upgrade is the best BC can do.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:41 pm

This thread is the funniest thing I've read in months and the best part is knowing that Krafty Pat is going to prolong this for a long time yet.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:A wet shit would be an upgrade. Weak sauce thinking an upgrade is the best BC can do.

So who do you think BC should get?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:06 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:A wet shit would be an upgrade. Weak sauce thinking an upgrade is the best BC can do.

So who do you think BC should get?

I've said on a number of occasions that if the likes of Porter Moser, Willard Schottenheimer and Cleveland Steamer and Please Don't Take Bill Coen, and awful awful choices like JTIII, Paul Hewitt and Tommy Amaker are the full slate, just hire the young, African American alumnus with NBA experience playing and coaching. It's not that I think Eisley is a home run, its that I know most of those other guys are not.

And blog boy's not exactly the finger on the pulse of BC athletics these days, but if his hot take is true, it is remarkably stupid on the part of BC
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There is zero reason not to hire Eisley over the rest of these names. And a few years running a program at what is essentially a different level should not move the needle. What Eisley can tell recruits about what BC was and what the path to the NBA is, is far more valuable.

Yup. If Gates is the hire it’s because BC is small time and cheap. There’s still a chance that BC gets lucky and he succeeds but it’s still not the right move if you’re really committed to giving this program the resources to succeed.

Woah... hold on... I love the guy, but... How is Eisley NOT small time and cheap? He is the third paid assistant on Michigan's staff. BC offering $600k doubles his salary. Eisley is easily the cheapest option of all candidates. Gates gets paid more and would cost a buy-out.

Gates could be great or be terrible. He is a lottery ticket and literally NO ONE on here knows anything about him. Zero. People on here really don't know anything about Eisley either. They probably haven't even listened to his interviews on YouTube. In my mind, the only difference between Eisley and Gates is that Eisley knows BC and would stay if the lottery ticket hit.

An Eisley hire might be cheap, that would depend on what they ultimately pay him of course, but I would characterize it as small time. He’s a guy with a 12 year NBA career, 7-8 years coaching in the NBA and a few years recruiting and coaching at a big time college program. Completely different profile than Gates.

This. I am not saying Eisley is a sure thing, but he's the most interesting candidate discussed here by far.

Ironically, you are challenging me on something we agreed on a while ago before you jumped on the Willard bandwagon.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:28 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Willard would be a turbo boost upgrade. Anyone saying otherwise is dumb or gaslighting.

He’s likely not interested in coming here regardless.

Blog boy says Gates is out. Blog boy says Eisley is out.

So unless there’s a secret Jay Wright candidacy in the offing, it appears we’re looking at Coen, Schmidt or Becker.

I’d rank those three: Schmidt, Becker, Coen in order of preference.

The ranking is Schmidt, then no.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There is zero reason not to hire Eisley over the rest of these names. And a few years running a program at what is essentially a different level should not move the needle. What Eisley can tell recruits about what BC was and what the path to the NBA is, is far more valuable.

Yup. If Gates is the hire it’s because BC is small time and cheap. There’s still a chance that BC gets lucky and he succeeds but it’s still not the right move if you’re really committed to giving this program the resources to succeed.

Woah... hold on... I love the guy, but... How is Eisley NOT small time and cheap? He is the third paid assistant on Michigan's staff. BC offering $600k doubles his salary. Eisley is easily the cheapest option of all candidates. Gates gets paid more and would cost a buy-out.

Gates could be great or be terrible. He is a lottery ticket and literally NO ONE on here knows anything about him. Zero. People on here really don't know anything about Eisley either. They probably haven't even listened to his interviews on YouTube. In my mind, the only difference between Eisley and Gates is that Eisley knows BC and would stay if the lottery ticket hit.

An Eisley hire might be cheap, that would depend on what they ultimately pay him of course, but I would characterize it as small time. He’s a guy with a 12 year NBA career, 7-8 years coaching in the NBA and a few years recruiting and coaching at a big time college program. Completely different profile than Gates.

This. I am not saying Eisley is a sure thing, but he's the most interesting candidate discussed here by far.

Ironically, you are challenging me on something we agreed on a while ago before you jumped on the Willard bandwagon.

I started the Willard bandwagon from the beginning.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17929&start=0#p542656

That said, my one or two sources that have any insight at all say that Kraft is hunting bigger fish right now. Seems to me unlikely it will pan out, but at least good to hear.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:50 pm

admit it - you're proud of this one

and tm that cleveland steamer stuff. i was proud of that one too
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:58 pm

It is a solid nickname.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:11 pm

Marty's corpse is a go to for dudes that run the table in the irrelevant season and finish 14-2 with a first round exit to the Broncos.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Marty's corpse is a go to for dudes that run the table in the irrelevant season and finish 14-2 with a first round exit to the Broncos.

As someone who lives in the NY/NJ metro area I am giving you a "this" on Willard Schottenheimer.

Each year there is a ton of local hype on hall ball which ends in a whimper. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:58 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

I started the Willard bandwagon from the beginning.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17929&start=0#p542656

That said, my one or two sources that have any insight at all say that Kraft is hunting bigger fish right now. Seems to me unlikely it will pan out, but at least good to hear.

He's waiting around for a search firm to come up with a list of email addresses to whom he can send his "BC wants to hire YOU!" form letter.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:02 am

Funishment becoming HJS is good schtick
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:31 am

Looks like Greg McDermott is immensely more gettable now than when the process started.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:37 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Looks like Greg McDermott is immensely more gettable now than when the process started.

Is he as available as Brad Stevens?
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum