2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:17 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:The Oracle of Fort Worth would like you all to know that Gates is destined to be our coach, that ATL is wrong (and has always been wrong) and that TRE you are a *checks notes* ORCAPIG.

Does he have a stupid nickname for Grant yet?

No “Porky”, he hasn’t

is he calling our real head coach "pearly" gates or somesuch?

more importantly, how does the great takeover happen where eddy gets replaced by pearly, the real decision for head coach that was formalized and finalized weeks ago? is it some wwe type storyline where, during the first practice session for the 21/22 season (i refuse to call 8 nerds standing around "midnight madness"), the team is announced and do their weave warm up drill or whatever and then the arena goes dark and the announcer starts with "and nowwwwwwwww, your new head coach..." and then BAM the theme music changes and "electrifying" starts blaring from the pa and pearly walks out with a ripped shirt and clear signs of a scuffle - pulls out a mic he just happens to have in his pocket and says "FINALLY the GATES have closed on boston" and then the screens show eddy in the locker room with the evidence of a scuffle that resulted in him being the clear loser.

in reaction to all of all this, the 8 attendees hold their 20 sided dice for a moment, and then turn back to their d&d game (already in progress)

i hope accn+ covers this event so i can watch it on tape delay at some undetermined time in the future
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:27 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I think that Earl Grant will be a very successful head coach at Boston College University and I wish him well.

The last time you did this, Addazio and BC beat USC 37-31.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Shoreagle on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:38 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:I think that Earl Grant will be a very successful head coach at Boston College University and I wish him well.

Yes, but the USC coach was drunk on the sidelines.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:19 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:The Oracle of Fort Worth would like you all to know that Gates is destined to be our coach, that ATL is wrong (and has always been wrong) and that TRE you are a *checks notes* ORCAPIG.

No “Porky”, he hasn’t

"The General" seems too obvious. But if he starts beating some southern schools it might work.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:24 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

No “Porky”, he hasn’t

"The General" seems too obvious. But if he starts beating some southern schools it might work.

a good nickname for him would also be "gates" because that would be super confusing... kinda like actually choosing eddy to be the coach
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:37 am

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Hopefully, now that chickenman has put the hex on them, every ACC coach will be drunk coaching against BC at Conte Forum.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

Hopefully, now that chickenman has put the hex on them, every ACC coach will be drunk coaching against BC at Conte Forum.

with huang involved, the only thing they would be drunk on is cock
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:08 pm

The more I think about it, the more this feels like hiring Skinner. The program was once again in shambles. Obie had torched the place after failing to sneak Elton Tyler and Dwayne Pina past Mahoney in admissions. Allenspach decommitted for Clemson and Michael Bradley for Villanova. Scoonie (who was already going to be academically ineligible) left for OSU with JOB. On his way out of town, Obie liberally threw shades of racism as a reason for his departure. Leo Papile led the locals charge of committing to never again send a player to the school.

BC went on a search at a time it was viewed as an unwinnable program. Local legend, Mike Jarvis, toiling away at George Washington wouldn't even consider the job. So, we hired a boring coach from URI who, over the course of NINE years made the NCAAs only twice (compiling a 1-2 record) and had a losing conference record in the Atlantic 10. The press conference was as boring and uninspiring as you would expect.

I find it funny that the board is full (by that I mean 6 unique IPs) of folks who claimed not to care about this joke of a program... suddenly, passionately up in arms with disapproval. Seems that Grant's hire engendered energy (negative as it may be) more than anything JC accomplished. I haven't a clue about this guy. Neither does anyone. So, the fact that he is an unknown is a plus in my mind as all the knowns were hot garbage.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:18 pm

good point, mo'j.

at the end of the day, it just doesn't matter
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:39 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

with huang involved, the only thing they would be drunk on is cock

...and jenkem. Don't forget about the jenkem.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The more I think about it, the more this feels like hiring Skinner. The program was once again in shambles. Obie had torched the place after failing to sneak Elton Tyler and Dwayne Pina past Mahoney in admissions. Allenspach decommitted for Clemson and Michael Bradley for Villanova. Scoonie (who was already going to be academically ineligible) left for OSU with JOB. On his way out of town, Obie liberally threw shades of racism as a reason for his departure. Leo Papile led the locals charge of committing to never again send a player to the school.

BC went on a search at a time it was viewed as an unwinnable program. Local legend, Mike Jarvis, toiling away at George Washington wouldn't even consider the job. So, we hired a boring coach from URI who, over the course of NINE years made the NCAAs only twice (compiling a 1-2 record) and had a losing conference record in the Atlantic 10. The press conference was as boring and uninspiring as you would expect.

I find it funny that the board is full (by that I mean 6 unique IPs) of folks who claimed not to care about this joke of a program... suddenly, passionately up in arms with disapproval. Seems that Grant's hire engendered energy (negative as it may be) more than anything JC accomplished. I haven't a clue about this guy. Neither does anyone. So, the fact that he is an unknown is a plus in my mind as all the knowns were hot garbage.

The unwinnable program that had literally just won the 1997 Big East title? That unwinnable program? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The more I think about it, the more this feels like hiring Skinner. The program was once again in shambles. Obie had torched the place after failing to sneak Elton Tyler and Dwayne Pina past Mahoney in admissions. Allenspach decommitted for Clemson and Michael Bradley for Villanova. Scoonie (who was already going to be academically ineligible) left for OSU with JOB. On his way out of town, Obie liberally threw shades of racism as a reason for his departure. Leo Papile led the locals charge of committing to never again send a player to the school.

Skinner coached in a much better conference. The A-10 of the late 80s and early 90s had peak Temple, St. Joe's as a national power, Xavier, Dayton, West Virginia and Calipari UMASS. URI had sucked ass from the moment they got in the conference. Tom Penders had two decent seasons with an upperclassmen laden team, made one NCAA Tournament, and ran as fast as he could for Texas--a job that was absolute shit back in the days of the SWC--leaving the cupboard bare. Skinner picked up the pieces and got them to two NCAAs and made the program attractive enough that the former coach of UCLA jumped at the chance to coach in Kingston. Skinner was objectively better than Coach Electric Avenue in every discernible way.

BC had a chance to either swing for the fences or roll the dice with an alum who could have been bolstered with an experienced supporting staff and a commitment to improve facilities. One was a major stretch, but the other should have been a gimme. The fact that Meathead failed on both counts is enough to provoke my ire because it demonstrates a level of incompetency and a lack of imagination that should never be tolerated.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:11 pm

I don't see many people being up in arms. The reaction is mostly, meh that's not going to get me to attend or donate, hope he does well.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:21 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

No “Porky”, he hasn’t

I could be getting the conversations mixed up, but the overriding belief is that Grant is just a placeholder for two years until he is removed because of dementia and Gates is installed as Head Coach for Life.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:38 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

No “Porky”, he hasn’t

I could be getting the conversations mixed up, but the overriding belief is that Grant is just a placeholder for two years until he is removed because of dementia and Gates is installed as Head Coach for Life.

Well, if that happens I hope you will be making Tik Tok videos and sending them to Kraft from your .mil email address expressing your ire that Kraft wants to hold senile basketball coaches to the same standards as normal basketball coaches.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:04 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Skinner coached in a much better conference. The A-10 of the late 80s and early 90s had peak Temple, St. Joe's as a national power, Xavier, Dayton, West Virginia and Calipari UMASS. URI had sucked ass from the moment they got in the conference. Tom Penders had two decent seasons with an upperclassmen laden team, made one NCAA Tournament, and ran as fast as he could for Texas--a job that was absolute shit back in the days of the SWC--leaving the cupboard bare. Skinner picked up the pieces and got them to two NCAAs and made the program attractive enough that the former coach of UCLA jumped at the chance to coach in Kingston. Skinner was objectively better than Coach Electric Avenue in every discernible way.

This revisionist history is as fictionalized as yesterday's pronunciations that College of Charleston is the Duke of CAA: "getting talent to CoC vis a vis the rest of the CAA should not be difficult" "One NCAA appearance is seven seasons is ridiculous for the advantages the school enjoys." "College of Charleston is a relatively "easy" program to have success with." "He had a strong basketball support system, and he still underachieved there," College of Charleston was the BC of the CAA. When Grant brought them there in 2018, it was only the school's 5th ever invite and their first trip since 1999. The school has only won a single tourney game... ever. Cleveland State is John Wooden UCLA in comparison

You don't like the hire. Just say it. You don't have to remake history to justify your uneducated feelings. However, I won't let you pretend that you or anyone else thought Skinner was anything more than a trainwreck of a hire. That underwhelmingness carried through his time at the Heights. As logi repeatedly said, Skinner was "nothing special" because "literally anyone can get BC to the Second Round of the NCAAs." I'm not excited about the choice and can't fathom why he was selected. That said, as a semi-fan, I don't care enough to fabricate fictionalized basketball universes to make it appear that a thoroughly boring choice was the worst possible selection in the history of sports on planet Earth.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:07 pm

Thank goodness Brad Stevens publicly scoffed off suggestions he might take the hometown Indiana job so that he can stay in Wellesley and coach BC when he gets fired.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Thank goodness Brad Stevens publicly scoffed off suggestions he might take the hometown Indiana job so that he can stay in Wellesley and coach BC when he gets fired.

Why does Brad Stevens have to leave Wellesley when he is guaranteed to retire as a Celtic?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Thank goodness Brad Stevens publicly scoffed off suggestions he might take the hometown Indiana job so that he can stay in Wellesley and coach BC when he gets fired.

Why does Brad Stevens have to leave Wellesley when he is guaranteed to retire as a Celtic?

DoubleDownJS
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:39 pm

There’s some revisionist history going on here.

CofC was good when they were in the SoCon. They were terrible in the CAA before Grant showed up. He’s also put more players into the NBA at CoC than our last two coaches combined
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:58 pm

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:08 pm

Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:31 pm

Zero. Chance.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:42 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

No “Porky”, he hasn’t

Valentines Day!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Skinner coached in a much better conference. The A-10 of the late 80s and early 90s had peak Temple, St. Joe's as a national power, Xavier, Dayton, West Virginia and Calipari UMASS. URI had sucked ass from the moment they got in the conference. Tom Penders had two decent seasons with an upperclassmen laden team, made one NCAA Tournament, and ran as fast as he could for Texas--a job that was absolute shit back in the days of the SWC--leaving the cupboard bare. Skinner picked up the pieces and got them to two NCAAs and made the program attractive enough that the former coach of UCLA jumped at the chance to coach in Kingston. Skinner was objectively better than Coach Electric Avenue in every discernible way.

This revisionist history is as fictionalized as yesterday's pronunciations that College of Charleston is the Duke of CAA: "getting talent to CoC vis a vis the rest of the CAA should not be difficult" "One NCAA appearance is seven seasons is ridiculous for the advantages the school enjoys." "College of Charleston is a relatively "easy" program to have success with." "He had a strong basketball support system, and he still underachieved there," College of Charleston was the BC of the CAA. When Grant brought them there in 2018, it was only the school's 5th ever invite and their first trip since 1999. The school has only won a single tourney game... ever. Cleveland State is John Wooden UCLA in comparison

You don't like the hire. Just say it. You don't have to remake history to justify your uneducated feelings. However, I won't let you pretend that you or anyone else thought Skinner was anything more than a trainwreck of a hire. That underwhelmingness carried through his time at the Heights. As logi repeatedly said, Skinner was "nothing special" because "literally anyone can get BC to the Second Round of the NCAAs." I'm not excited about the choice and can't fathom why he was selected. That said, as a semi-fan, I don't care enough to fabricate fictionalized basketball universes to make it appear that a thoroughly boring choice was the worst possible selection in the history of sports on planet Earth.

As usual, you didn’t address a single factual point. Peak HomoJS.

Skinner was a much more visible hire than Electric Avenue. It is simply a fact. Skinner wasn’t a big get either, but his track record at URI was certainly better than Electric Avenue’s was at CoC. I voiced no objections to the Skinner hire because I figured Obie had nuked the program for at least five years and knew no high profile candidate would take the job. And by nuking it he stated that the school was racist to its core. He also sued the school and did everything he could to ruin the place. That goes way, way, way beyond simply fielding a shitty basketball team for a decade.

Finally, you are correct, I don’t like the hire. It is objectively bad because it did nothing to stoke enthusiasm or put the Athletic Department in a position to raise money to build better infrastructure around the program. The wonder to me is how you could defend it in anyway outside of your near automatic reversion to c**nty contrarianism, which frankly, you do in only a marginally better manner than elvii, who is your board doppelgänger. I’ll also note that I never called it the worst hire in basketball history, merely a meathead hire by a meathead athletic director who managed to fail in every aspect of what the hire was supposed to accomplish outside of putting a black guy in the head coach’s seat.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:54 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:There’s some revisionist history going on here.

CofC was good when they were in the SoCon. They were terrible in the CAA before Grant showed up. He’s also put more players into the NBA at CoC than our last two coaches combined

And yet he managed only one NCAA appearance in seven years. Thanks for making my point for me without meaning to do so.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:26 pm

Misfit Lion King's blog today is downright depressing. "I was only hoping to get back to .500 so this seems like a good hire. Oh, by the way, BC likes to fuck with its fan base and hire the unknown guy after they see all the good options that are guessed."
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:38 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I'm not excited about the choice and can't fathom why he was selected. That said, as a semi-fan, I don't care enough to fabricate fictionalized basketball universes to make it appear that a thoroughly boring choice was the worst possible selection in the history of sports on planet Earth.

The wonder to me is how you could defend it in anyway outside of your near automatic reversion to c**nty contrarianism, which frankly, you do in only a marginally better manner than elvii, who is your board doppelgänger.

Reading comp.

I haven't cared about BC basketball in a decade. I was bound to continue to not care about BC BB for many years regardless of who was hired. The job became irrelevant because Coach Flip hired Don and Bates hired JC and Jarmond gave JC an extension. That's where the blame laid. BC had a world of options when they hired Don, still had good options when they hired JC... they had no option now. People like to say "what about... ???" Well, they weren't interested for the same reason none of us watch games on TV. Apathy.

I think folks should come to grips with the possibility that Grant is the best under 50 coach BC could hire. It is a reflection on the program. A program whose fans couldn't think of a single coach that could make the team relevant. The same fans who could only come up with the possibility of Michigan's THIRD assistant to become a first time head coach. The same fans who thought Skinner made deep tourney runs at URI and think CoC was the Gonzaga of the East. BC fans deserve exactly what BC basketball has been providing.

I haven't a clue how Grant will do. I am certain that EVERYONE on this board is equally clueless. Good luck to the guy. I hope he is able to put a watchable product on the court in Year 3.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:52 pm

You put a lot of stock in this "no one knows how he will do" trope. Yeah, no shit. If I did, I would make a lot of money. The point has nothing to do with whether this is a terrible hire or it's the next Al Skinner, or how bored you are or right you are, or how self masturbatory you are in the 81 potential candidates you lined up not including the guy picked so you tell everybody else they are too negative, don't know anything, and this could be good or bad, successful or unsuccessful, you really don't care about the program, and you will have predicted one or the other, Brad Stevens.

The only thing that matters is this is fucking boring. And BC doesn't care. So neither do we for 5 more years. The rest is just you trying to figure out what to say since there's no way to spin this guy as a successful prediction on your part.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:37 pm

I think it’s more fun to sip bourbon and ponder whether I was more depressed on March 17, 2001 when we lost to a team full of douchebags from USC, or March 19, 2005 when skinner and BC blew an 11-0 lead and lost to UWM, or maybe March 24, 2006?

In the end isn’t BC just doing us a favor by removing any chance at bad March memories?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum