2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:35 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}: If NBA playing career was a thing, Georgetown and Vandy and Wake and Pacific and Portland would have been crushing it with Patrick Ewing, Jerry Stackhouse, Danny Manning, Damon Staoudamire and Terry Porter as their respective head coaches.

Just playing in the NBA is not the point, no one thinks Dennis Rodman should get the Indiana job. But when you also coached in the league for a long time, served as an assistant at a major program (led by a young African American ex-NBA alum with 6 years of NBA assistant coaching experience that had the squad at #2 in the country prior to yesterday), the NBA experience is another arrow in the recruiting quiver.

Eisley is not a small time hire. You might be able to get him for relatively cheap though, now. If UM continues the way they have this season, Eisley is going to blow up sooner or later.

I’d prefer an established guy like Willard, but Eisley nor Gates are small time hires. I’d rather take a chance with them than the JTIII, Paul Hewitt, Brian Gregory crew.

Both Eisley and Gates will get interviews for HC jobs this year outside of BC

Willard is famous for being the son of the Holy Cross coach that gave #1 seeds a tough half. His career record at Seton Hall is okay I guess. Think about that last sentence.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}: If NBA playing career was a thing, Georgetown and Vandy and Wake and Pacific and Portland would have been crushing it with Patrick Ewing, Jerry Stackhouse, Danny Manning, Damon Staoudamire and Terry Porter as their respective head coaches.

Just playing in the NBA is not the point, no one thinks Dennis Rodman should get the Indiana job. But when you also coached in the league for a long time, served as an assistant at a major program (led by a young African American ex-NBA alum with 6 years of NBA assistant coaching experience that had the squad at #2 in the country prior to yesterday), the NBA experience is another arrow in the recruiting quiver.

Eisley is not a small time hire. You might be able to get him for relatively cheap though, now. If UM continues the way they have this season, Eisley is going to blow up sooner or later.

I’d prefer an established guy like Willard, but Eisley nor Gates are small time hires. I’d rather take a chance with them than the JTIII, Paul Hewitt, Brian Gregory crew.

Willard is famous for being the son of the Holy Cross coach that gave #1 seeds a tough half. His career record at Seton Hall is okay I guess. Think about that last sentence.

Seton Hall was pretty horrible before he showed up. Would’ve made 5 straight NCAAs if it hadn’t been cancelled. That’s way better than okay.

This is going to be a 4-5 year rebuild at BC so people will need to have some patience with whoever they hire.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:13 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Seton Hall was pretty horrible before he showed up. Would’ve made 5 straight NCAAs if it hadn’t been cancelled. That’s way better than okay.

This is going to be a 4-5 year rebuild at BC so people will need to have some patience with whoever they hire.

Willard is the most mediocre of options with zero upside. I'd rather have his dad, about 80 choices after Eisley
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Willard is the most mediocre of options with zero upside. I'd rather have his dad, about 80 choices after Eisley

Sorry how is 5 consecutive NCAAs bad? It’s not like Seton Hall was a powerhouse before him
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Sorry how is 5 consecutive NCAAs bad? It’s not like Seton Hall was a powerhouse before him

Just stop. He's the JC Penney of coaches. Hard pass and take about 20% off there Captain Shoots.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:32 pm

This is the best of the Willard brothers
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:52 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:shit athletics are also a factor to parents thinking of sending their kids to the heights. i, for one, aimed my kids in other directions because the athletics suck on top of the growth in price tag out pacing the progression in academics. i am nowhere near as rah-rah about bc as an institution as i was 10 or 15 years ago and that all holds true because of sucky athletics. seeing the 3 other schools that my kids have matriculated to (well, 2 of the 3 - 1 is still a small school that falls all over itself in simple day-to-day student life management), i feel very solid in my decision and my kids are much happier on their respective campus than they would have been punching nerds on the heights

all these discussions of revitalizing the basketball program, much like the discussions about the football program, could be applied to the school administration as well. the place has gotten stale and i have to believe i'm not the only parent/alumnus that see it

tre did you even encourage your kids to apply to BC? Just curious. My daughter is a high school junior and is taking the SATs today and we'll be going through the college application process in the next few months. My concern is not athletics. It is which school she could attend that will give her a better shot (later) at medical school. I am having a hard time justifying the extra expense which would deplete everything in her 529 for a private education when a state university might well give her the same opportunities upon graduation, depending on her transcripts.

You've spent years on this site talking about how an undergrad degree from one school vs another is life changing and the past few years obsessed with the college bribe scandal, and now you finally realize that perhaps a state school is a better option? Good luck to your daughter. Hopefully her career goals come true...and she shows you how way off you've been on this topic.

Get married. And breed. And save for their education the way tre and I did. Then your snide comments might have value. Right now :angrychicken you've got nothing.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:14 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:shit athletics are also a factor to parents thinking of sending their kids to the heights. i, for one, aimed my kids in other directions because the athletics suck on top of the growth in price tag out pacing the progression in academics. i am nowhere near as rah-rah about bc as an institution as i was 10 or 15 years ago and that all holds true because of sucky athletics. seeing the 3 other schools that my kids have matriculated to (well, 2 of the 3 - 1 is still a small school that falls all over itself in simple day-to-day student life management), i feel very solid in my decision and my kids are much happier on their respective campus than they would have been punching nerds on the heights

all these discussions of revitalizing the basketball program, much like the discussions about the football program, could be applied to the school administration as well. the place has gotten stale and i have to believe i'm not the only parent/alumnus that see it

tre did you even encourage your kids to apply to BC? Just curious. My daughter is a high school junior and is taking the SATs today and we'll be going through the college application process in the next few months. My concern is not athletics. It is which school she could attend that will give her a better shot (later) at medical school. I am having a hard time justifying the extra expense which would deplete everything in her 529 for a private education when a state university might well give her the same opportunities upon graduation, depending on her transcripts.

You've spent years on this site talking about how an undergrad degree from one school vs another is life changing and the past few years obsessed with the college bribe scandal, and now you finally realize that perhaps a state school is a better option? Good luck to your daughter. Hopefully her career goals come true...and she shows you how way off you've been on this topic.

Get married. And breed. And save for their education the way tre and I did. Then your snide comments might have value. Right now :angrychicken you've got nothing.

If only BC had an Internet quoting class, I might be able to read your post
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eaglesfan06 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:15 am

I guess I'm one of the outliers. I for one would really like Gates if he were the pick.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:34 am

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:I guess I'm one of the outliers. I for one would really like Gates if he were the pick.

Are you related as well?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:I guess I'm one of the outliers. I for one would really like Gates if he were the pick.

Are you related as well?

maybe he’s already got a costume for the “gates of hell” faction that will make themselves known immediately
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:48 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Are you related as well?

maybe he’s already got a costume for the “gates of hell” faction that will make themselves known immediately

We spell that Thermopylae here.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

If only BC had an Internet quoting class, I might be able to read your post

BC doesn’t have such a class because it isn’t a University because of its lack of an engineering school and lack of an Internet quoting degree. With that said, one of my many cousins from the Greater Yonkers, Poughkeepsie and Buffalo areas attended Albany and informs me that they have a very strong College of Internet Quoting, so you have no excuse for lacking that particular skill set.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:57 am

they also clearly don’t teach it in blog school
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:41 am

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Image

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Just stop. He's the JC Penney of coaches. Hard pass and take about 20% off there Captain Shoots.

The hall had been to the tournament 3 times in 16 years before Willard took over.

Agree he ain’t flashy, but I think he’s the type of competent coach BC needs to get back to some level of respectability. Sign me up for 5 consecutive tournaments.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:41 am

Stop with the Willard option. Besides his 1-4 record in the NCAA tournament his teams fold down the stretch in the regular season.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:49 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The hall had been to the tournament 3 times in 16 years before Willard took over.

Agree he ain’t flashy, but I think he’s the type of competent coach BC needs to get back to some level of respectability. Sign me up for 5 consecutive tournaments.

I kind of agree with Mike Madigan 2001. Willard isn't an exciting hire, but he took over an Iona program that Jeff Ruland ran into a big ditch and had them back on top of the MAAC by year 3. He took over a Seton Hall team that had fallen badly from the PJ Carlessimo's days and was mired with problems in the wake of Bobby Gonzalez' implosion and has turned them into a Top 4 program in the Big East and made the tournament for five straight years. I get that he isn't the strongest of strategy guys--watching him and Ed Cooley try to hand the game to one another during a SHU-PC tilt a few years ago was high comedy--but he seems to know how to run a moderately successful, stable program. Plus he probably brings Duane Woodward with him, who is allegedly a strong recruiter and obviously an alum.

He is definitely an upgrade over Jimmy C and The Don, and while I think I'd prefer to roll the dice with Eisely and a heavily augmented staff, I would not be upset by a Willard hire.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:42 pm

Suggesting you want Eisley over Willard is fine. Suggesting Willard and his consistent tournament invites is a poor hire is just plain hyperbole
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:48 pm

The hilarious thing about this board is that the responses on Willard range from "he's not good enough" to "I guess I'd take him, but we could do better" - when the reality is he almost certainly has no interest in BC (at least for the amount BC is going to pay).

Spread those legs extra wide for your ball-kicking, gentlemen. Maybe if you really feel the pain this time, you won't forget the lesson so quickly.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:00 pm

Thamel:

That leaves Penn State and Boston College with the two most intriguing open jobs on the board, and they have the potential of overlapping pools.

We’ll start with BC, which has decided internally to pay competitively with its ACC peers both in terms of head coach salary and staffing. (BC made similar commitments when hiring Jeff Hafley in football a year ago.)

Down the road, the new athletic administrative regime has made clear that it’s committed to upgrading the practice facilities, which are currently considered the worst in the ACC. BC has planned on a sizable commitment to address that deficiency.

So who comes? The race is wide open, as candidates cast a wide range — St. Bonaventure’s Mark Schmidt, Northeastern’s Bill Coen, Michigan assistant Howard Eisley, UMBC’s Ryan Odom, Vermont’s John Becker and Purdue assistant Micah Shrewsberry.

Penn State is a bit further along in the search than BC, and their pool is expected to include Schmidt, Odom, Shrewsberry and Dennis Gates of Cleveland State. Gates is the speculative favorite because of his past relationship with Penn State AD Sandy Barbour, as the two overlapped at Cal.

https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carousel-sean-miller-arizona-patrick-ewing-191946911.html
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:10 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:Stop with the Willard option. Besides his 1-4 record in the NCAA tournament his teams fold down the stretch in the regular season.

I am with 2001Eagle. At Seton Hall, 5 consecutive NCAA appearances is fantastic. Who cares that they only won one game. They got their 5 times. In a row. Five appearances playing in the Big East no less! That is an incredibly hard conference to win 21+ games (a season) and get an at-large.

They are not going to get Willard but if they did, wow! That is home run no matter how much (or little) they have to pay Willard. I don't know if he'll get get BC to the National Championship, but it is a vast upgrade.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:15 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:We’ll start with BC, which has decided internally to pay competitively with its ACC peers both in terms of head coach salary and staffing. (BC made similar commitments when hiring Jeff Hafley in football a year ago.)

Down the road, the new athletic administrative regime has made clear that it’s committed to upgrading the practice facilities, which are currently considered the worst in the ACC. BC has planned on a sizable commitment to address that deficiency.

So who comes? The race is wide open, as candidates cast a wide range — St. Bonaventure’s Mark Schmidt, Northeastern’s Bill Coen, Michigan assistant Howard Eisley, UMBC’s Ryan Odom, Vermont’s John Becker and Purdue assistant Micah Shrewsberry.
https://sports.yahoo.com/coaching-carousel-sean-miller-arizona-patrick-ewing-191946911.html

Thamel has had connections within BC in the past. So, he is a decent reporter to listen to.

That said, the list of candidates is exactly what I’d expect if we decided to NOT pay competitively or improve facilities. All those guys would jump for the same lack-of-support Christian dealt with. If BC is making a spend, I’d expect that the pool would be a little bit better than the small-time-and-cheap candidates proposed.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:We’ll start with BC, which has decided internally to pay competitively with its ACC peers both in terms of head coach salary and staffing. (BC made similar commitments when hiring Jeff Hafley in football a year ago.)

Thamel has had connections within BC in the past. So, he is a decent reporter to listen to.

That said, the list of candidates is exactly what I’d expect if we decided to NOT pay competitively or improve facilities. All those guys would jump for the same lack-of-support Christian dealt with. If BC is making a spend, I’d expect that the pool would be a little bit better than the small-time-and-cheap candidates proposed.

I can’t speak to the others, but I can tell you it absolutely is not true in the case of Schmidt. He won’t come unless he gets paid and a commitment for a facilities upgrade.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:33 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:Stop with the Willard option. Besides his 1-4 record in the NCAA tournament his teams fold down the stretch in the regular season.

I am with 2001Eagle. At Seton Hall, 5 consecutive NCAA appearances is fantastic. Who cares that they only won one game. They got their 5 times. In a row. Five appearances playing in the Big East no less! That is an incredibly hard conference to win 21+ games (a season) and get an at-large.

They are not going to get Willard but if they did, wow! That is home run no matter how much (or little) they have to pay Willard. I don't know if he'll get get BC to the National Championship, but it is a vast upgrade.

A professor at BC once told our class better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:05 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I can’t speak to the others, but I can tell you it absolutely is not true in the case of Schmidt. He won’t come unless he gets paid and a commitment for a facilities upgrade.

And for Addie’s to create an Early Bird Special so he can eat dinner at 4:00.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:25 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Suggesting you want Eisley over Willard is fine. Suggesting Willard and his consistent tournament invites is a poor hire is just plain hyperbole

See above. People around this program would be thrilled with a bunch of consecutive trips to the NCAAs.

Schmidt with a good staffing and facilities would be fine also given the other options I’ve seen
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:41 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:

A professor at BC once told our class better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

And I would correct your professor at BC and ask him or her to show me the math or the statistics that proves that what I am saying makes me a fool

2015–16 Kevin Willard 25–9 12–6 3rd NCAA First Round
2016–17 Kevin Willard 21–12 10–8 5th NCAA First Round
2017–18 Kevin Willard 22–12 10–8 3rd NCAA Second Round
2018–19 Kevin Willard 20–14 9–9 3rd NCAA First Round
2019–20 Kevin Willard 21–9 13–5 T-1st

What am I missing here? What is the X factor?

I agree, we are not going to get him. But I (the fool) would love it if Kraft could get him. And I'm not the only one. Guess there are lots of fools on this board.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:19 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

And for Addie’s to create an Early Bird Special so he can eat dinner at 4:00.

Maybe, but I can tell you that for an "old man" he absolutely crushes a golf ball. Absolute bombs. And from a personality standpoint, he is far more Eagle Outsider than he is Eagle Action.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum