2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:21 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:30 pm

Maybe he hires Gregg Marshall to be on his bench.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:35 pm

Whelp... that was underwhelming. I guess the lack of excitement on this board was canary for how unexcited the coaching fraternity viewed the job. Well... at least a very specific subset of that community.

I like that the wrong Grant is decently young and has been a coach for a while. I don't like the fact that he hasn't been terribly great recently and has two post-season games in to his credit. You'd think a school who was supposedly opening the checkbook, building a facility and had patiently given the predecessor time, would have been able to hire someone who has a Wikipedia page. But alas... we are what we are and it just doesn't matter.

I wish the guy luck. I was in favor of taking a big swing at a rising coach... just wouldn't necessarily consider him a major up-and-comer. Hopefully his contract matches his experience such that, if needed, we can have the next Don not Christian.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:42 pm

I'd like to take this moment to point out that this name was never mentioned anywhere. And, I would like to point out that at no time was Blaudschun remotely in the ballpark with any of his comments. I would also like to point out that the Twitter Bloggers who had Gates as already hired were also wrong.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Whelp... that was underwhelming. I guess the lack of excitement on this board was canary for how unexcited the coaching fraternity viewed the job. Well... at least a very specific subset of that community.

I like that the wrong Grant is decently young and has been a coach for a while. I don't like the fact that he hasn't been terribly great recently and has two post-season games in to his credit. You'd think a school who was supposedly opening the checkbook, building a facility and had patiently given the predecessor time, would have been able to hire someone who has a Wikipedia page. But alas... we are what we are and it just doesn't matter.

I wish the guy luck. I was in favor of taking a big swing at a rising coach... just wouldn't necessarily consider him a major up-and-comer. Hopefully his contract matches his experience such that, if needed, we can have the next Don not Christian.

On brand for the search firm that couldn't put together a working wordpress website?

But, to be fair, Grant has a wiki page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_Grant_(basketball) Our AD apparently does not though, nor can I find a twitter handle for him that some staffer operates that I can rage tweet at.
Last edited by thebs19 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:59 pm

Wow. That one blindsided me so much I don’t even know if it’s upsetting or underwhelming, or I just don’t know my shit. Probably all of it, even though it shouldn’t be upsetting anymore. Welp. Let’s give him a shot

I genuinely double checked that it wasn’t April 1st
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:07 pm

Why the fuck did we fire Jim Christian with 2 weeks left to hire this no name?

Good news is we aren't a joke anymore, because we've just given up.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:10 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:Why the fuck did we fire Jim Christian with 2 weeks left to hire this no name?

They did not fire Christian early to get a head start on the hiring process.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eaglesfan06 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:Why the fuck did we fire Jim Christian with 2 weeks left to hire this no name?

That's obvious.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:21 pm

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's obvious.

It apparently wasn't to you.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'd like to take this moment to point out that this name was never mentioned anywhere. And, I would like to point out that at no time was Blaudschun remotely in the ballpark with any of his comments. I would also like to point out that the Twitter Bloggers who had Gates as already hired were also wrong.

Sounds like you're admitting you were wrong.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's obvious.

It apparently wasn't to you.

This.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:33 pm

i would like to take this time to apologize to dennis gates and his wife. as lackluster as gates was as a "make a splash" kind of name, at least his team/players were on an uptick, performance wise.

eddie grant does nothing for me other than stop me from opening mail with a chestnut hill return address or answering calls from 617 area codes

can someone paraphrase for me what the man-who-is-never-wrong is saying about all of this? it will be interesting to see where his lead-pipe-lock actually winds up after getting ripped new orifii by houston on friday evening
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:09 pm

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:23 pm

Looks to me like they fired Jim Christian to get a head start on recording this hype video and then copy and pasted a clip of the coach they’d hire at the end, all while losing to the worst Duke team in 35 years by 35 points
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:40 pm

it's very clear to me this was recorded by dudley before they knew who the coach would be and then slapped in a clip from 3 years ago when cofc won the c(r)aa(p) conference and eddie grant got to cut down the nets

more evidence of the mickey mouse nature of this school and it's athletic programs
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:43 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Looks to me like they fired Jim Christian to get a head start on recording this hype video and then copy and pasted a clip of the coach they’d hire at the end, all while losing to the worst Duke team in 35 years by 35 points

I think that yours truly is more the "expert" on the College of Charleston, its coaching staff, and its hoops program, more than anyone else here. And by "expert" all I mean is Northeastern plays them at least twice a year AND almost always play them at some point in the tournament. And we are nervous when we play them because they are good. That is my extent of my expertise (which is zip.)

Having said that let me say this, (and this is me trying to see the glass half-full), Earl Grant and Joe Mihakich are/were Coen's most competitive opposing coaches in the conference. When Northeastern and Coen gets to the finals, we expect to challenging Hofstra or C-of-C. This covidish year was the extreme exception (for all parties.) So purely from a CAA standpoint, BC has one of the top three coaches in the conference.

Much like Coen, Grant is a good coach in tournament play (when it means the most.) That is as full as I can make that half glass full.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:44 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I think that yours truly is more the "expert" on the College of Charleston, its coaching staff, and its hoops program, more than anyone else here. And by "expert" all I mean is Northeastern plays them at least twice a year AND almost always play them at some point in the tournament. And we are nervous when we play them because they are good. That is my extent of my expertise (which is zip.)

Having said that let me say this, (and this is me trying to see the glass half-full), Earl Grant and Joe Mihakich are/were Coen's most competitive opposing coaches in the conference. When Northeastern and Coen gets to the finals, we expect to challenging Hofstra or C-of-C. This covidish year was the extreme exception (for all parties.) So purely from a CAA standpoint, BC has one of the top three coaches in the conference.

That is as full as I can make that half glass full.

That should be the title of our press release
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:51 pm

We went from the greatest coach in MAC history to the third best coach in the 2020-21 CAA.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:52 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:can someone paraphrase for me what the man-who-is-never-wrong is saying about all of this? it will be interesting to see where his lead-pipe-lock actually winds up after getting ripped new orifii by houston on friday evening

that houston team has the coach that I wanted for BC
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hawaiirob on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:55 pm

Huge issues in BC hoops world. Bigger problems remain and revealed by Smart and Boynton having zero interest. As in negative. Gates was a weird one and had legs. The situation with wifey was problematic. Leon Rice had a little pulse and Schmidt did too. In the end, BC could not go the route of the old white guy dealio.

This is a yawn of a hire and BCAD will not get the same check I sent when GET IN was hired.

12 years of no dancing and on the heels of Christian and Donohue and we get Earl Grant? As an Eagle, I wish for the best...but BC is guilty of garbage until proven innocent...and I wish it were the other way around.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:56 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Much like Coen, Grant is a good coach in tournament play (when it means the most.) That is as full as I can make that half glass full.

this attempt to explain the awesometacularness of eddy grant comes across as more of a glass bone dry than half full
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:02 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

this attempt to explain the awesometacularness of eddy grant comes across as more of a glass bone dry than half full

its all I've got
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:07 pm

Ok, I'm going to say it. This is like hiring Donahue on the basis of one good season, except Grant lost in the first round instead of the Sweet Sixteen, and also it was 3 seasons ago. His recruiting record at Clemson doesn't jump off the page. There's no logical connection to Boston or New England. Is this what the outcome looks like when you pre-emptively eliminate 90% of the candidate pool?

I will root for the guy to do well but I'm having a hard time seeing the value proposition here.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:08 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Ok, I'm going to say it. This is like hiring Donahue on the basis of one good season, except Grant lost in the first round instead of the Sweet Sixteen, and also it was 3 seasons ago. His recruiting record at Clemson doesn't jump off the page. There's no logical connection to Boston or New England. Is this what the outcome looks like when you pre-emptively eliminate 90% of the candidate pool?

I will root for the guy to do well but I'm having a hard time seeing the value proposition here.

you know it's more about the similarities eddy has to al skinner than it is about the similarities he has to beeker and/or mac
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:15 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Ok, I'm going to say it. This is like hiring Donahue on the basis of one good season, except Grant lost in the first round instead of the Sweet Sixteen, and also it was 3 seasons ago. His recruiting record at Clemson doesn't jump off the page. There's no logical connection to Boston or New England. Is this what the outcome looks like when you pre-emptively eliminate 90% of the candidate pool?

you know it's more about the similarities eddy has to al skinner than it is about the similarities he has to beeker and/or mac

Earl Grant was the best black head coach in the CAA.

There, I said it.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:44 pm

I’d like to say it’s been fun you fucking hoops weirdos but yeah pretty much.
See y’all again in 6-7 years when we are looking for the next head Coach. Can’t even imagine the state of this dumpster fire by then.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:49 pm

Enjoy the new coach, hoopz weerdoz.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:04 pm

Wait . . . this is out of gimmick.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:27 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:I’d like to say it’s been fun you fucking hoops weirdos but yeah pretty much.
See y’all again in 6-7 years when we are looking for the next head Coach. Can’t even imagine the state of this dumpster fire by then.

We will be looking for a new men's basketball coach in 4 years, 5 years tops.

I say that because of your prediction of 6-7 years. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum