2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:The challenge is that it’s Omaha. If he had stuck with the colloquialism of “stay on the reservation” it would also have been racist, but at least you can bet sports on the reservation in the Omaha area

The worst part about it is its not a thing. Had he said reservation at least he had an excuse. And no one would have cared.

And had he said “penis” he would have been my leader on the plantation
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:36 pm

The Oracle of Fort Worth would like you all to know that Gates is destined to be our coach, that ATL is wrong (and has always been wrong) and that TRE you are a *checks notes* ORCAPIG.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:50 pm

Maybe I’ll ask my son in ft worth to drive over and kick the old man’s ass
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Manny on Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:00 pm

Apropos of nothing, I had to go to Fort Worth for work recently. That's a real shitty place.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:09 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:The Oracle of Fort Worth would like you all to know that Gates is destined to be our coach, that ATL is wrong (and has always been wrong) and that TRE you are a *checks notes* ORCAPIG.

How did you become his messenger? And why does he love Gates so much?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:27 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:The Oracle of Fort Worth would like you all to know that Gates is destined to be our coach, that ATL is wrong (and has always been wrong) and that TRE you are a *checks notes* ORCAPIG.

Twitter is my guess

I also believe he does not like gates and will complain about it to anyone that will listen if the hiring happens
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:41 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Twitter is my guess

I also believe he does not like gates and will complain about it to anyone that will listen if the hiring happens

RETTIGUN
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:43 pm

In fairness, pretty much everyone thinks Misfit Lion is wrong these days.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:20 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Twitter is my guess

It's purely a volunteer position and if I shared even a quarter of what he says to tell you all it would be a full-time job. I try to pull out the nuggets.

No idea why he thinks Gates is the favorite, but there is a not-insignificant number of BC people on Twitter who think Gates is the one to lead us to the promised land.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:38 am

they think gates is the one to get us to the promised land or they think gates is the next uninspired hire that keeps us in the basement of the acc for another 5 years? if nothing else, he's a two-fer (diversity hire/nepotism)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:42 am

https://twitter.com/blauds/status/1368534521306636288
BC has made it clear that they are trying to preference a minority coach. Blauds has now deemed the coaching search not "real" because they haven't considered a white coach with a losing record. Nice.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:03 am

HJS {l Wrote}:https://twitter.com/blauds/status/1368534521306636288
BC has made it clear that they are trying to preference a minority coach. Blauds has now deemed the coaching search not "real" because they haven't considered a white coach with a losing record. Nice.

Blauds was the first one to say BC should hire a black coach because the school has unspecified "diversity issues."

I'd prefer BC to consider candidates from every racial group - even the unpopular ones.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:21 am

I would take Duquette back as a lead assistant but that's about it.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:09 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I would take Duquette back as a lead assistant but that's about it.

Unless this is hockey let’s not hire a coach from UML
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:01 pm

The guy's pulled off one America East conference tournament upset victory. We're unlikely to find a stronger resume than that.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:09 pm

I'm bored and in the absence of news from BC (or fictional "news" from bloggers), I'm curious as to what hire would get people to care.
In synthesizing the litany of names mentioned (while adding a few additions), I came up with (alphabetically): Steve Alford, Tommy Amaker, John Becker, John Beilein, Randy Bennett, Brett Brown, Bill Coen, Ed Cooley, Tom Crean, Johnny Dawkins, Jared Dudley, Howard Eisley, Dane Fife, Travis Ford, Dennis Gates, Anthony Grant, John Groce, Frank Haith, Paul Hewitt, Mike Hopkins, Bobby Hurley, Frank Martin, Gregg McDermott, Archie Miller, Wes Miller, LeVelle Moton, Richard Pitino, Mike Rhoads, Mark Schmidt, Micah Shrewsberry, Brad Stevens, JTIII, Kevin Willard, Jason Williford and Wojo.

I would place each in the following buckets. This isn't what I think will happen, just my initial reaction if it did.
Home Run: Beilein, Crean, Grant, Martin, AMiller, Stevens
Excited: Bennett, Cooley, Dudley, Eisley, Haith, Hopkins, Hurley, McDermott, Rhoads, Willard, Wojo
Skeptical: Alford, Brown, Dawkins, Ford, Gates, WMiller, Moton, Shrewsberry
Disappointed: Amaker, Becker, Coen, Fife, Groce, Pitino, Schmidt, JT3, Williford
Quit the Program: Hewitt
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:21 pm

LOL at you including Brad Stephens because you mentioned him. I'd like to add Phil Jackson to the first bucket.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:21 pm

Come to think of it, the triangle would be good for this talent. Sold.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:LOL at you including Brad Stephens because you mentioned him. I'd like to add Phil Jackson to the first bucket.

LOL at you not knowing how to spell the name of the coach whose bronze statue is being installed in Quincy Market next to Red.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm bored and in the absence of news from BC (or fictional "news" from bloggers), I'm curious as to what hire would get people to care.
In synthesizing the litany of names mentioned (while adding a few additions), I came up with (alphabetically): Steve Alford, Tommy Amaker, John Becker, John Beilein, Randy Bennett, Brett Brown, Bill Coen, Ed Cooley, Tom Crean, Johnny Dawkins, Jared Dudley, Howard Eisley, Dane Fife, Travis Ford, Dennis Gates, Anthony Grant, John Groce, Frank Haith, Paul Hewitt, Mike Hopkins, Bobby Hurley, Frank Martin, Gregg McDermott, Archie Miller, Wes Miller, LeVelle Moton, Richard Pitino, Mike Rhoads, Mark Schmidt, Micah Shrewsberry, Brad Stevens, JTIII, Kevin Willard, Jason Williford and Wojo.

I would place each in the following buckets. This isn't what I think will happen, just my initial reaction if it did.
Home Run: Beilein, Crean, Grant, Martin, AMiller, Stevens
Excited: Bennett, Cooley, Dudley, Eisley, Haith, Hopkins, Hurley, McDermott, Rhoads, Willard, Wojo
Skeptical: Alford, Brown, Dawkins, Ford, Gates, WMiller, Moton, Shrewsberry
Disappointed: Amaker, Becker, Coen, Fife, Groce, Pitino, Schmidt, JT3, Williford
Quit the Program: Hewitt

A good chunk of that list is close to getting fired, still have lingering NCAA issue or would require a huge buyout for a mediocre coach.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:33 pm

Samsung thinks it is smarter than I am. Besides, I know you don't read IBs echo chamber but the NBA blows.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:35 pm

Popovich is having a rough season or two, BC should hire him.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:53 pm

The Athletic saying BC reached out to Thad Motta but he doesn't want to live in Boston. Also saying Schmidt will get a strong look.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:55 pm

IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER...
IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER...IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:59 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER...
IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER...IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER, IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER...

Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:06 pm

TRE is on point and kinda why I made the post. Everyone is disappointing because most of the names or some combo of: (a) no interested, (b) damaged goods and (c) cost too much. Essentially, people here have reduced the job to a pecker fight among 74's Gates, ATL's Coen, Ty's Schmidt and eppy's Eisley. Wake me when the next hire is fired.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:TRE is on point and kinda why I made the post. Everyone is disappointing because most of the names or some combo of: (a) no interested, (b) damaged goods and (c) cost too much. Essentially, people here have reduced the job to a pecker fight among 74's Gates, ATL's Coen, Ty's Schmidt and eppy's Eisley. Wake me when the next hire is fired.

Point of order. I would prefer to roll the dice with Eisley, but think Schmidt is a very good coach and better than all of the non-home run hires that have been proposed. While Eisley isn’t a home run, he intrigues me, especially if BC invests in assistants and facilities in the bargain.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:37 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:TRE is on point and kinda why I made the post. Everyone is disappointing because most of the names or some combo of: (a) no interested, (b) damaged goods and (c) cost too much. Essentially, people here have reduced the job to a pecker fight among 74's Gates, ATL's Coen, Ty's Schmidt and eppy's Eisley. Wake me when the next hire is fired.

Point of order. I would prefer to roll the dice with Eisley, but think Schmidt is a very good coach and better than all of the non-home run hires that have been proposed. While Eisley isn’t a home run, he intrigues me, especially if BC invests in assistants and facilities in the bargain.

Another point of order I’m on Team Willard not Team Eisley. I actually wouldn’t be disappointed with Schmidt or Eisley.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:39 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:The Athletic saying BC reached out to Thad Motta but he doesn't want to live in Boston. Also saying Schmidt will get a strong look.

That’s a shame on Thad Matta.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:32 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:

I'm fine with either of these two. I'd be more excited with Eisley. The rest is whatever and Willard blows.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum