2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 Coaching Candidate Thread (this time for reals)

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:28 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think that BC Basketball should zig when everyone else zags. If the world is moving towards the 3-point shot, focus on rebounding and baskets in the lane. If the world is moving to fastbreaks, slow it down. If the world is focused on offense, be the master of defense. On a level playing field, BC will have the results we've had over the past decade. I think some of Skinner's elite success was due to the tedious nature of the Flex (which highlighted skills not valued by other programs). I do not want to watch the Flex or Princeton offense. However, I prefer to win boring than lose with an "exciting" up-and-down-the-court, free-flowing, 3-point-shooting, "modern", nonsensical offense that Christian was supposedly running. If we ultimately go in the "system" direction, I probably prefer Grant over similarly situated candidates (Cooley, Rhoads, Coen, JT3).

While the selective JT3 story is being pushed by media folks, here is a reminder of what GTown folks were saying in 2017. Interestingly, it seems that part of JT3's downfall was trying to up his recruiting profile such that he was chasing stars instead of those who fit his system. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... pson-looms

sounds like porter moser
Last edited by claver2010 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:That analysis of the Princeton Offense's efficacy is more outdated than nospace's analysis of the use of the 3 pointer.

This isn't a defense of JT3, the Princeton offense or the article. However, there are some things that the blog touched upon that rings true to me.
Second, the offense is used by teams facing a team with better athletes because the offense is slow developing. Think Tony Bennett at Virginia and the Pack Line Defense level of pace (Bennet also uses a modified form of Princeton). The idea is that by slowing the game down there are less scoring opportunities for the better athletic team.

The genius of implementing Princeton is that it takes BC’s biggest weakness, trouble recruiting star players, and turns it into not only a moot point, but even a positive. The reality is that at this stage in the BC rebuild, BC is never going to recruit blue chip prospects that are going to makes headlines on ESPN’s Top 100. Even those that do consider BC tend to be a flash in a pan.

I think that BC Basketball should zig when everyone else zags. If the world is moving towards the 3-point shot, focus on rebounding and baskets in the lane. If the world is moving to fastbreaks, slow it down. If the world is focused on offense, be the master of defense. On a level playing field, BC will have the results we've had over the past decade. I think some of Skinner's elite success was due to the tedious nature of the Flex (which highlighted skills not valued by other programs). I do not want to watch the Flex or Princeton offense. However, I prefer to win boring than lose with an "exciting" up-and-down-the-court, free-flowing, 3-point-shooting, "modern", nonsensical offense that Christian was supposedly running. If we ultimately go in the "system" direction, I probably prefer Grant over similarly situated candidates (Cooley, Rhoads, Coen, JT3).

While the selective JT3 story is being pushed by media folks, here is a reminder of what GTown folks were saying in 2017. Interestingly, it seems that part of JT3's downfall was trying to up his recruiting profile such that he was chasing stars instead of those who fit his system. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... pson-looms

This thought is a beautiful bit of contrarianism - the kind that works. However, keep in mind, the last time we zigged against the greater direction of the sport, we hired Steve Addazio. This needs to be done correctly, or not at all. I’d rather zag intelligently than zig ineffectually.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:24 pm

Addazio's idea could have worked in the hands of a smarter, less rigid individual.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Addazio's idea could have worked in the hands of a smarter, less rigid individual.

Yeah, but “coach hard, love hard”
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:37 pm

So.. for posterity... Mark Blauschun apparently is reporting that our first choice is Tommy Amaker... if he turns us down, it is JT3... if he turns us down, it is Paul Hewitt. That’s the top 3 from his sources. If we get rejected from all these hot commodities, our fallback is Eisley.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:56 am

HJS {l Wrote}:So.. for posterity... Mark Blauschun apparently is reporting that our first choice is Tommy Amaker... if he turns us down, it is JT3... if he turns us down, it is Paul Hewitt. That’s the top 3 from his sources. If we get rejected from all these hot commodities, our fallback is Eisley.

He's just naming black people. If we miss on Eisley, our next choices must be Chris Cheeks and Wesley Snipes.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:43 am

if he was just naming black people, he would have included skinner
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:02 am

HJS {l Wrote}:So.. for posterity... Mark Blauschun apparently is reporting that our first choice is Tommy Amaker... if he turns us down, it is JT3... if he turns us down, it is Paul Hewitt. That’s the top 3 from his sources. If we get rejected from all these hot commodities, our fallback is Eisley.

There is a better chance that I am appointed head of the search and hire Schmidt then there is a chance of JT3 or Paul Hewitt—a guy coming off of running a George Mason team that should perennially contend for the A10 into the ground. I mean, I suppose he and JT3 have both gone to Final Fours after landing players that neither would have any chance of getting at BC, so there is that. Meanwhile, Amaker couldn’t attract talent to Michigan and is regularly out coached by The Don. Amazing. If he is the pick—and that is something I could see happening, such is my lack of faith in the idiots running our alma mater—I would prefer we burn the program to the ground and spread salt on it.

I have an idea. If we are going to hire an African-American candidate with big time success at a P5 conference that has not done much since he left, let’s go whole hog—so to speak—and hire Nolan Richardson. Time to give the rest of the ACC 40 Minutes of Hell every night and see what happens.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:23 am

i'm not certain, but i think i can hear the sounds of cutting and pasting as a result of and inspired by angry dick's post
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:31 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:

There is a better chance that I am appointed head of the search and hire Schmidt then there is a chance of JT3 or Paul Hewitt—a guy coming off of running a George Mason team that should perennially contend for the A10 into the ground. I mean, I suppose he and JT3 have both gone to Final Fours after landing players that neither would have any chance of getting at BC, so there is that. Meanwhile, Amaker couldn’t attract talent to Michigan and is regularly out coached by The Don. Amazing. If he is the pick—and that is something I could see happening, such is my lack of faith in the idiots running our alma mater—I would prefer we burn the program to the ground and spread salt on it.

I have an idea. If we are going to hire an African-American candidate with big time success at a P5 conference that has not done much since he left, let’s go whole hog—so to speak—and hire Nolan Richardson. Time to give the rest of the ACC 40 Minutes of Hell every night and see what happens.

Amaker should be a legit candidate as should Eisley. The other two guys are funny
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:46 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Amaker should be a legit candidate as should Eisley. The other two guys are funny

On what basis should Amaker be a candidate? He failed miserably at one of the easiest P5 jobs in existence and for all the kudos he receives for coaching at Harvard, he has underperformed The Don in the Ivy League. Seriously? Where is there any indication on his resume that he would be an a significant upgrade (or any upgrade whatsoever) over Donahue or Christian? He shouldn’t even get an interview except as a courtesy and to check a box. Eisley may turn out to be a terrible coach and utterly unsuited to being a head coach at a P5 school—like our last two coaches—but at least there is no empirical evidence that indicates he is likely to be a terrible coach at a P5 school like there is with Amaker. If we are considering Amaker, just hire Eisley and be done with it. You can then go spend money putting together a staff suitable for helping a newbie head coach hit the ground running.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:14 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I would prefer we burn the program to the ground and spread salt on it.

Just out of curiosity, what in the world do you think we were doing the last dozen years?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:20 am

Still waiting for Jared Dudley to get the offer.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:28 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'm not certain, but i think i can hear the sounds of cutting and pasting as a result of and inspired by angry dick's post

You heard correctly, it was just happening in Mary Ann's.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:35 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Still waiting for Jared Dudley to get the offer.

I'd prefer that over any retread mentioned by Blauds. I am of the opinion that the only black coaches Blauds knows the names of have already appeared in his articles. Somewhere, Danny Manning, Walter McCarthy, Mike Davis and Henry Bibby are wondering how to hire Paul Hewitt's agent.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:06 am

I'd be okay with Nolan Richardson, but only as an assistant to Bobby Knight.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:24 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'm not certain, but i think i can hear the sounds of cutting and pasting as a result of and inspired by angry dick's post

cuarenta minutes de inferno if recall correctly
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I would prefer we burn the program to the ground and spread salt on it.

Just out of curiosity, what in the world do you think we were doing the last dozen years?

I would divide this 12 year period of futility into three parts. First, was Greasy Gene feeling his oats and thinking he was discarding Al and his boring system for the next big thing—the guy who took Cornell to a Sweet 16. It was a bad hire, but at the time I can recall most observers thinking it was a bold move. As Donahue failed, Greasy Gene was eased out and Butt Cut was hired, we enter Part Two, where Leahy hires a guy as AD who looks good on paper but turns out to be utterly in over his head. Said AD is too stupid to understand what Leahy and the alums want out of him, so he outsources the responsibility to Fogeler who makes a pedestrian hire that is unpopular with fans looking for some pop, but is at least justifiable through Leahy’s prism—ie, Christian has had success elsewhere and is cheap. This goes badly and because our leadership is cheap, they refuse to pull the trigger when they should have a few years ago. Part three is where you get to the part where you can argue that leadership is now deliberately going full Scipio Africanus on the program, of course you could also argue that having poured a bunch of money into football—facilities and eventually coaching as well—that our cheap leadership was willing to take it in the shorts for a couple of more years to husband resources necessary to make a bold move upgrading infrastructure and coaching.

And so now, having stabilized, upgraded and digested the football expenses, we can hope that they are about to do the same thing with basketball. Hiring a young, dynamic alum and giving him an experienced staff would be an indication that that is where they want to go. Hiring a guy who has failed already with better resources is complete, abject surrender of the kind that can’t be spun. At that point, there would be no arguing that Leahy is out to destroy basketball—a charge that has already been made against him at Marquette.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I would divide this 12 year period of futility into three parts. First, was Greasy Gene feeling his oats and thinking he was discarding Al and his boring system for the next big thing—the guy who took Cornell to a Sweet 16. It was a bad hire, but at the time I can recall most observers thinking it was a bold move. As Donahue failed, Greasy Gene was eased out and Butt Cut was hired, we enter Part Two, where Leahy hires a guy as AD who looks good on paper but turns out to be utterly in over his head. Said AD is too stupid to understand what Leahy and the alums want out of him, so he outsources the responsibility to Fogeler who makes a pedestrian hire that is unpopular with fans looking for some pop, but is at least justifiable through Leahy’s prism—ie, Christian has had success elsewhere and is cheap. This goes badly and because our leadership is cheap, they refuse to pull the trigger when they should have a few years ago. Part three is where you get to the part where you can argue that leadership is now deliberately going full Scipio Africanus on the program, of course you could also argue that having poured a bunch of money into football—facilities and eventually coaching as well—that our cheap leadership was willing to take it in the shorts for a couple of more years to husband resources necessary to make a bold move upgrading infrastructure and coaching.

And so now, having stabilized, upgraded and digested the football expenses, we can hope that they are about to do the same thing with basketball. Hiring a young, dynamic alum and giving him an experienced staff would be an indication that that is where they want to go. Hiring a guy who has failed already with better resources is complete, abject surrender of the kind that can’t be spun. At that point, there would be no arguing that Leahy is out to destroy basketball—a charge that has already been made against him at Marquette.

I agree with your recollection of Part One. I generally agree with your framing of Part Two, however, at no point in time did anyone ever think that Jimmy Mac hire was "justifiable". You can go back and look at the threads at the time, and NO ONE gave the guy a chance. It was immediately positioned as a joke of a search resulting in an even bigger joke of a hire. Part Three is again correct... though I think you need to acknowledge Marty's massive role in dragging this thing out an additional 3 years due to the surrendering a mindnumbing extension (which resulted in a failed firing attempt just months later).

As for the hire, as atrocious as the supposed candidates have been, I'd argue that they are all improvements over JC. Amaker, JT3, Hewitt and Manning would all be upgrades over JC... heck, even Brian Gregory would be an upgrade (even though we all know he would never leave Dayton). None of them would do anything in elevating the program (in wins or attention). But, none of them would sink it lower than where JC has piloted. I am fine with Eisley. If not him, I want someone under 50 (maybe appreciably so).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:17 pm

Paul Hewitt and JT3 did have a common foe on their runs to the final 4. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:00 pm

This is really wrong. And if Hewitt ever got a sniff of this job, then PK would be a disgrace. Eisley is not the fallback. They are not hiring a guy who has never been an assistant.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I believe you meant Scipio Aemilianus.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I don't care who they hire so long as he recruits ACC level talent and wins with it.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:34 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

This is really wrong. And if Hewitt ever got a sniff of this job, then PK would be a disgrace. Eisley is not the fallback. They are not hiring a guy who has never been an assistant.

I am confused, who has never been an assistant?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:56 pm

Who are the two priority names listed in the 247 article today?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:20 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

This is really wrong. And if Hewitt ever got a sniff of this job, then PK would be a disgrace. Eisley is not the fallback. They are not hiring a guy who has never been head coach.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:20 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Who are the two priority names listed in the 247 article today?

Probably some bullshit

Doubt we know much more of worth until the good-at-basketball teams stop playing
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:55 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree with your recollection of Part One. I generally agree with your framing of Part Two, however, at no point in time did anyone ever think that Jimmy Mac hire was "justifiable". You can go back and look at the threads at the time, and NO ONE gave the guy a chance. It was immediately positioned as a joke of a search resulting in an even bigger joke of a hire. Part Three is again correct... though I think you need to acknowledge Marty's massive role in dragging this thing out an additional 3 years due to the surrendering a mindnumbing extension (which resulted in a failed firing attempt just months later).

As for the hire, as atrocious as the supposed candidates have been, I'd argue that they are all improvements over JC. Amaker, JT3, Hewitt and Manning would all be upgrades over JC... heck, even Brian Gregory would be an upgrade (even though we all know he would never leave Dayton). None of them would do anything in elevating the program (in wins or attention). But, none of them would sink it lower than where JC has piloted. I am fine with Eisley. If not him, I want someone under 50 (maybe appreciably so).

I’ve been a season ticket holder to teams coached by JTIII and Paul Hewitt. They are both a million times worse than JC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:59 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

This is really wrong. And if Hewitt ever got a sniff of this job, then PK would be a disgrace. Eisley is not the fallback. They are not hiring a guy who has never been head coach.

If I'm reading this right it is really stupid of BC.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:03 pm

If BC hired Amaker I hope they realize he has a better basketball program, brand name and support at Harvard than he’ll have at BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum