The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:25 pm

As of this posting, there are 20 scheduled games left in the 2020/2021 season. Whether they will all be played... whether Jimmy Mac will coach all of them? Who knows, who cares. Regardless, this marks the end of a long, numbing chapter in BC basketball history. It started with the firing of Al Skinner, ran through Gene's mistaken hiring of Donahue, Bate's laughable search that spawned Christian and reached its nadir with Marty's idiotic extension of the worst coach the school has known.

So, here we are with the smoldering rubble of a once proud franchise. The property upon which the next coach will be tasked to build ain't terrible. Since the program was restarted post-WW2, no full-time head coach has finished his career at the Heights with a sub-.500 record... that was before Don and JC showed up (though JOB was only able to attain 1 game over .500 through his 11 seasons). We used to be a strong stepping stone for elite coaches having cycled through Hall of Famers like Bob Cousy (who was hired while still playing his final season for the Celtics), Chuck Daly, Dr. Tom Davis and Gary Williams. We then had a quarter century of stability under Obie and Skinner... before what seemed to be a purposeful dismantling.

Nonetheless, before we get to turn the page, we need to withstand the next 2 and half months of irrelevant basketball. To that end, this thread is meant as catchall for pre/intra/post-game comments as individual games aren't likely to warrant enough interested to generate their own separate threads.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15499
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 492

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:46 pm

I respect the level of boredom you have on a Friday afternoon the week before Christmas.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32801
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2489

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Maine replacing Cal so that should be a win.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3827
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am
Karma: 643

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:02 pm

HJS wrote:As of this posting, there are 20 scheduled games left in the 2020/2021 season. Whether they will all be played... whether Jimmy Mac will coach all of them? Who knows, who cares.


I care.

You can hire any coach in the entire world to replace Jimmy Mac. But his first name can not rhyme with Bill but if it does, then his last name most certainly can not rhyme with Coen. We were 7 points away from beating Syracuse, all coaching up very young, very marginal, Div-1 talent. Tell Kraft to stay the fuck away from him.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18524
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: 33

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:07 pm

this seems like a good thread to meatbomb. please be aware, the below link is totally a meatbomb

this is a meatbomb
congratulations to hansen... gayest poster for the 11th year in a row
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 21192
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 5850

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:08 pm

I thought watching the team lose in person at Conte to both Harvard and Fairfield within the span of 10 days in November 1998 was going to be the low point of BCMBB, but then of course we went 0-18 in the ACC in 2015-16 and still kept our coach, so who knows what else can happen that would be worse.

I don't see any chance that dipshit Christian is fired during this season. I seriously think another 0-fer the ACC is possible.
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 313

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:42 pm

2001Eagle wrote:I thought watching the team lose in person at Conte to both Harvard and Fairfield within the span of 10 days in November 1998 was going to be the low point of BCMBB, but then of course we went 0-18 in the ACC in 2015-16 and still kept our coach, so who knows what else can happen that would be worse.

I don't see any chance that dipshit Christian is fired during this season. I seriously think another 0-fer the ACC is possible.


Lets talk positively for a minute. What was the highest ranking that Skinner had the team at in 2004? I'm assuming that moment was the high water mark (nationally) for BC basketball in any of our lifetimes.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18524
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: 33

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby BC923 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:46 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
2001Eagle wrote:I thought watching the team lose in person at Conte to both Harvard and Fairfield within the span of 10 days in November 1998 was going to be the low point of BCMBB, but then of course we went 0-18 in the ACC in 2015-16 and still kept our coach, so who knows what else can happen that would be worse.

I don't see any chance that dipshit Christian is fired during this season. I seriously think another 0-fer the ACC is possible.


Lets talk positively for a minute. What was the highest ranking that Skinner had the team at in 2004? I'm assuming that moment was the high water mark (nationally) for BC basketball in any of our lifetimes.

#3 in the AP in the third week of February

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html
BC923
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3432
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:11 pm
Karma: 457

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:54 pm

BC923 wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:
2001Eagle wrote:I thought watching the team lose in person at Conte to both Harvard and Fairfield within the span of 10 days in November 1998 was going to be the low point of BCMBB, but then of course we went 0-18 in the ACC in 2015-16 and still kept our coach, so who knows what else can happen that would be worse.

I don't see any chance that dipshit Christian is fired during this season. I seriously think another 0-fer the ACC is possible.


Lets talk positively for a minute. What was the highest ranking that Skinner had the team at in 2004? I'm assuming that moment was the high water mark (nationally) for BC basketball in any of our lifetimes.

#3 in the AP in the third week of February

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html


Thank you. Those were the days. I want them back right now.

I remember, I had just taken a new job a few months earlier to be the "webmaster" at some bullshit firm in downtown Phoenix. I would roam the office and chat with the account execs and the CSRs. One of them was a much more enthusiastic college hoops person than myself. He kept saying the whole time BC was winning....

BC's 2004 team, they are just St Joes from 2003. All smoke and mirrors like St Joes. That's all


I don't know if he was being sarcastic to get me irritated or if he meant it. Didn't matter to me. I was just thrilled that BC was being spoken of nationally, even if they were being sold short. At least they weren't overlooked. I miss those days.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18524
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: 33

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:19 pm

The high water mark was right before the goal tend call on *** *******. That was the best BC team.
Coach hard. Love hard.
User avatar
2001Eagle
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:26 pm
Karma: 313

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:39 pm

What if Jimmy MAC does really well down the stretch. We catch fire and end up in, say, the Elite 8. Surely we would be obligated to keep him? Perhaps extend him?
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2789
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: 47

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:07 pm

I personally thought Steve Donahue was worse than JC, but thats like picking which kick in the balls you like better.. Good Lord. What a miserable decade for BC basketball.
I like BC basketball.
User avatar
BCEagles25
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4203
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:42 pm
Karma: 122

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:10 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:What if Jimmy MAC does really well down the stretch. We catch fire and end up in, say, the Elite 8. Surely we would be obligated to keep him? Perhaps extend him?

If you called up Vegas with $2 on that and it happened, how much do you think you’d make?
I like BC basketball.
User avatar
BCEagles25
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4203
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:42 pm
Karma: 122

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:33 pm

BCEagles25 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:What if Jimmy MAC does really well down the stretch. We catch fire and end up in, say, the Elite 8. Surely we would be obligated to keep him? Perhaps extend him?

If you called up Vegas with $2 on that and it happened, how much do you think you’d make?


Probably more than the original $2
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2789
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: 47

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:59 pm

I didnt read most of the thread but no space thinking we want Bill Coen is my favorite gimmick after Funishment.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32801
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2489

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:42 pm

Does this mean I can’t make more game threads?
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16883
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -293

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:22 pm

eepstein0 wrote:Does this mean I can’t make more game threads?


No, you should, I need a place to scream at the clouds from a cyber perspective.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 365

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:
eepstein0 wrote:Does this mean I can’t make more game threads?


No, you should, I need a place to scream at the clouds from a cyber perspective.


Fantastic
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16883
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -293

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Game 13: BC 70 - ND 80
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15499
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 492

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:55 pm

HJS wrote:Game 13: BC 70 - ND 80


Previously 0-5 ND
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16883
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -293

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:39 pm

I can’t stress how bad Notre Dame is at basketball. Most of the blood thirsty shut ins on ND Nation think Mike Brey is burned out and wants to retire at the end of the year. They looked like they didn’t want to be there against VTech and UVA. And yet, they not only beat our piece of shit team, it really wasn’t ever in doubt that we would lose. If Father Light-in-the-Loafers didn’t hate college athletics and hadn’t already had a tenure that featured nearly murdering the Marquette basketball program right into a permanent spot in CUSA, he would give our AD the go ahead to fire Christian immediately. An asshole ND fan described us as the sparring partners sparring partner, which is an absolutely accurate assessment.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3820
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 365

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:47 am

Dick Rosenthal wrote:I can’t stress how bad Notre Dame is at basketball. Most of the blood thirsty shut ins on ND Nation think Mike Brey is burned out and wants to retire at the end of the year. They looked like they didn’t want to be there against VTech and UVA.

sounds like all of the qualifications needed to join us as the next head basketball coach at boston college
congratulations to hansen... gayest poster for the 11th year in a row
User avatar
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy
 
Posts: 21192
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:51 am
Location: tobaccoroad
Karma: 5850

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:05 am

TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:I can’t stress how bad Notre Dame is at basketball. Most of the blood thirsty shut ins on ND Nation think Mike Brey is burned out and wants to retire at the end of the year. They looked like they didn’t want to be there against VTech and UVA.

sounds like all of the qualifications needed to join us as the next head basketball coach at boston college


In all seriousness, my vote is Kelvin Simpson from Houston. I don't think BC could pry him away and BC isn't a step up from what he is coaching. But the ACC is a step up from the American.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18524
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: 33

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby sparky on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:32 am

innocentbystander wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:I can’t stress how bad Notre Dame is at basketball. Most of the blood thirsty shut ins on ND Nation think Mike Brey is burned out and wants to retire at the end of the year. They looked like they didn’t want to be there against VTech and UVA.

sounds like all of the qualifications needed to join us as the next head basketball coach at boston college


In all seriousness, my vote is Kelvin Simpson from Houston. I don't think BC could pry him away and BC isn't a step up from what he is coaching. But the ACC is a step up from the American.


It'd be nice to be good enough to be sanctioned by the NCAA, and he'd be just the guy to get us there.
sparky
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:13 am
Karma: 22

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:18 am

VT game cancelled, someone in bc program tested positive / came in close contact with someone who has wuflu

edit yes wasn't descriptive tysm hjs
Last edited by claver2010 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 19110
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3228

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:31 am

claver2010 wrote:VT game cancelled, someone in program tested positive / came in close contact with someone who has wuflu

The program having the COVID issue is BC.
This post was made by Corporal Funishment who is currently on your ignore list.
User avatar
HJS
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 15499
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:08 pm
Karma: 492

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:05 pm

If I understand the COVID protocols correctly, we have no choice but to take the next six weeks off. It's a shame. Just when Jimmy Mac had this team firing on all cylinders.
Image
User avatar
Onyx Blackman
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2987
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:37 am
Karma: 2969

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:30 pm

sparky wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:I can’t stress how bad Notre Dame is at basketball. Most of the blood thirsty shut ins on ND Nation think Mike Brey is burned out and wants to retire at the end of the year. They looked like they didn’t want to be there against VTech and UVA.

sounds like all of the qualifications needed to join us as the next head basketball coach at boston college


In all seriousness, my vote is Kelvin Simpson from Houston. I don't think BC could pry him away and BC isn't a step up from what he is coaching. But the ACC is a step up from the American.


It'd be nice to be good enough to be sanctioned by the NCAA, and he'd be just the guy to get us there.


Yes.

It was 13 years ago when Indiana actually mattered, but yes, it would be nice to be good enough to be sanctioned by the NCAA. I'm sure Sampson was guilty. I don't care. I still want BC to have him.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18524
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: 33

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:52 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
sparky wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:I can’t stress how bad Notre Dame is at basketball. Most of the blood thirsty shut ins on ND Nation think Mike Brey is burned out and wants to retire at the end of the year. They looked like they didn’t want to be there against VTech and UVA.

sounds like all of the qualifications needed to join us as the next head basketball coach at boston college


In all seriousness, my vote is Kelvin Simpson from Houston. I don't think BC could pry him away and BC isn't a step up from what he is coaching. But the ACC is a step up from the American.


It'd be nice to be good enough to be sanctioned by the NCAA, and he'd be just the guy to get us there.


Yes.

It was 13 years ago when Indiana actually mattered, but yes, it would be nice to be good enough to be sanctioned by the NCAA. I'm sure Sampson was guilty. I don't care. I still want BC to have him.


BC would never hire Sampson with his past
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16883
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -293

Re: The Final Days - Official 2020/21 Games Thread

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:17 pm

HJS wrote:
claver2010 wrote:VT game cancelled, someone in program tested positive / came in close contact with someone who has wuflu

The program having the COVID issue is BC.


now the bc nags h00ps program has the wuflu too
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 19110
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3228

Next

Return to Conte Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 2014 Eagle, claver2010, Walsh601 and 6 guests

Untitled document