2020 Offseason

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 Offseason

Postby BCHerbert on Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:Fred Scott commits to BC.

I'll take whatever we can get. At least hes a big body and can stretch the floor a bit. My count we have 11 bodies. 2 more open to add some more bulk maybe? Evan Cole would help a little.

I’m sure he’s better than Luka even without watching him play.

That’s some real cutting edge analysis. ESPN college hoops analysts better be careful about their jobs.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:26 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Made Haarms top 10. We’ll see if Steff can work some magic get his former roommate here.

Arizona, Kentucky, Memphis and Gonzaga would probably be biggest competition. Battling the big boys on this one.

Best of luck on this one.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BConway on Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:45 pm

Quick recap of our possible rotation next year.

PG Heath, Kelly, Makai Lanford
SG Tabbs
SF baby Langford, Williams
PF Steph, Scott, CJ
C Luka. Vander baan

The best bet may be to go small with our most talented lineup.
Heath, Tabbs, baby Langford, Scott and Steff at the 5. Kelly, Makai and CJ primarily off the bench. Hopefully add another big that's good enough to be in the rotation and we may have a somewhat complete roster.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Best bet would be to root for the season to be canceled.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:02 pm

BConway's positivity, hope, and optimism is cute.

It will be fun watching as EO slowly pulverizes his positivity, crushes all of his hope, and rips all remaining optimism from his soul.

ENJOY!
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BConway on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:14 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:BConway's positivity, hope, and optimism is cute.

It will be fun watching as EO slowly pulverizes his positivity, crushes all of his hope, and rips all remaining optimism from his soul.

ENJOY!

I've been a BC fan since the early 90s and been reading on this forum for years before I created an account. I'm always positive during the offseason/roster building time. It slowly dwindles as the season goes on until I'm depressed about being a 14 win team. Then I'm optimistic again, rinse and repeat.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:29 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:

ENJOY!

I've been a BC fan since the early 90s and been reading on this forum for years before I created an account. I'm always positive during the offseason/roster building time. It slowly dwindles as the season goes on until I'm depressed about being a 14 win team. Then I'm optimistic again, rinse and repeat.

My statement is not BC sports related.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BConway on Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:53 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

ENJOY!

I get what you mean. Not the first forum I've posted in. They are all full of negative troll types.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:06 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

ENJOY!

I get what you mean. Not the first forum I've posted in. They are all full of negative troll types.

Yes because BC hoop is awesome.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:43 pm

I think Jimmy Mac's just the coach, with just the pieces, to shock the world this year
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby sparky on Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:52 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I think Jimmy Mac's just the coach, with just the pieces, to shock the world this year

I am not expecting it, but [b]if[/b this group had some kind of lightning in a bottle/magical run, it would be amazing. JC was basically out the door but has his job saved by Corona, nobody is expecting anything, the program's probably never been lower, but lo and behold... There's an x% chance we're a few months from something awesome!!!!!
sparky
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:22 am

Jimmy MAC’s road to redemption in five easy steps:

1. In an effort to save even more money in anticipation of making a super duper expensive coaching hire in 2021, Jarmond moves all basketball games to Power Gym. All of a sudden, the 260 people who show up for BC basketball games in a 95% empty Conte Forum form a raucous crowd in the tight confines. Instant home court advantage!

2. When a second wave of the virus shows up in December, most of the rosters for Duke, UNC, FSU, Louisville, etc. decide to quit college basketball and self-isolate so as to avoid damaging their draft or professional basketball prospects. All of a sudden, BC’s collection of misfits is top line from a talent perspective in the ACC.

3. BC plows through the ACC playing against teams comprised almost entirely of walk-one in Conte-esque empty arenas across the ACC (although they manage a WTF loss to a Georgia Tech team whose rotation consists of 3 engineering majors, two walk ons and two former student managers, at home in February.

4. BC enters a depleted NCAA tournament field that has been reduced to 16 teams as the 1 seed in the Midwest—they were going to be the 2 seed in the East, but when the entire Dayton roster dies of the covid just before the A-10 Tournament, the Eagles slip into the 1 seed. The Eagles defeat Kent State and Valparaiso on their way to our first Final Four.

5. BC edges College of Charleston (the #1 seed out of the South) in a thrilling game to reach the Finals. Before the Finals, Martin Jarmond announces a six year extension for Jimmy MAC. Sadly, BC is trounced in the finals by a vengeful Mark Schmidt and Saint Bonnies (even in a ridiculous post like this I stick to my agenda). After the game, Martin Jarmond announces he will be taking over the AD job at Ohio State after Gene Smith dies of the covid. In an effort to save money, BC announces they are re-hiring Gene DeFillipo as AD. In his first action as AD, DeFillipo fires Hafley (fresh off a very solid 9-3 season) because of a WEEI report that Hafley is being considered for NY Jets job. Hafley is extremely confused because he never actually interviewed for the Jets job or had any contact with the Jets—whose entire team and front office died in the second wave of covid after a 4-11 season. DeFillipo announces that his son John will take over as the new HC.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Mike_S on Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:25 pm

I don't know if anyone else is watching the BC/UNC 2006 ACC semi-final right now on ACC network... Just an incredible BC teams.

Smith and Dudley of course, but Hinnant was great at the point, Shawn Marshall added a lot for defense, rebounding, and emotion. Plus *** ******* and Tyrese Rice off the bench!! Incredible strength and size, playing the flex, but also a great passing team. Awesome half-court offense but not afraid to run. And team confidence and swagger was through the roof.
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:38 pm

Posted something similar in the FB board about the BC day on ACCN. Incredible how far we’ve fallen post-Skinner. I can’t imagine being relevant again (despite folks claiming we would back there by hiring literally anyone).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Posted something similar in the FB board about the BC day on ACCN. Incredible how far we’ve fallen post-Skinner. I can’t imagine being relevant again (despite folks claiming we would back there by hiring literally anyone).

There’s a ridiculous amount of talent within a 2 hour drive from BC.

Build basketball facility, renovate Conte and hire a real coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:43 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Posted something similar in the FB board about the BC day on ACCN. Incredible how far we’ve fallen post-Skinner. I can’t imagine being relevant again (despite folks claiming we would back there by hiring literally anyone).

Sure. But, none of that 2-hour talent was on those great Skinner teams. Hell, none of that talent has shown up at BC since 1997. Let’s face it... local coaches don’t make a name for their AAU program by sending kids to Chestnut Hill. So, they go anywhere but.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Sure. But, none of that 2-hour talent was on those great Skinner teams. Hell, none of that talent has shown up at BC since 1997. Let’s face it... local coaches don’t make a name for their AAU program by sending kids to Chestnut Hill. So, they go anywhere but.

Which is kind of a problem with BC.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We got the #2 ranked guard in New England in our last class, and the #2 center

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:40 am

It’s generally a northeast thing. Kids grow up watching pro sports and occasionally see national college games. BC hasn’t competed on the National scene much. And, when it does, it’s a lovable group of overachievers and try-hards. They aren’t the swaggering collection of who’s who talent. When a New England kid is of moderate ability, he dominates the clownshoes competition and begins to think of himself significantly greater than he is. The natural inclination is for him to think he’s one of the Chosen who should be playing with his peers for a national championship before having a 15 year career in the pros. On very rare occasions, that local star either (a) is a home body, (b) has a relative as an alum, (c) somehow grew up a BC fan or (d) has a mature view of the insane work needed to be a success at the next level.

BC’s rep is strong throughout the rest of the country (in all sports but basketball). The national perception of BC is tough teams that play hard are smart and fundamentally sound... filled with high character, hardworking, smart kids who actually go to class. I know that sounds like a Daz highlight reel. But, all he was ever doing was parroting the national talking points (it’s not like the man had insight or original thought). Nonetheless, New Englanders (and Northeasterners in general) tend not to maintain such a broad perspective. Instead of coveting the familiar, they disdain it.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:22 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We got the #2 ranked guard in New England in our last class, and the #2 center

It took JC 6 years to figure out putting in work with the local AAU Teams might be a good idea. That #2 center is very unlikely to contribute next year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:46 am

I don’t understand why we take marginal kids from all over the country, when taking a few local kids to be the 9, 10, 11, and 12th scholarship that never play anyway might actually get the AAU programs to play ball again
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:06 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:I don’t understand why we take marginal kids from all over the country, when taking a few local kids to be the 9, 10, 11, and 12th scholarship that never play anyway might actually get the AAU programs to play ball again

Imagine what we could have done if we took that Chris Herren Jr kid as a pwo when we had 2 open spots, and then gave him a scholarship for a nice feel good story. We might have even been able to get 2 guys from the same AAU program a year later who are the number 2 guard and center in New England! Why didn't Jimmy MAC think of that?

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:14 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:I don’t understand why we take marginal kids from all over the country, when taking a few local kids to be the 9, 10, 11, and 12th scholarship that never play anyway might actually get the AAU programs to play ball again

Imagine what we could have done if we took that Chris Herren Jr kid as a pwo when we had 2 open spots, and then gave him a scholarship for a nice feel good story. We might have even been able to get 2 guys from the same AAU program a year later who are the number 2 guard and center in New England! Why didn't Jimmy MAC think of that?

Should have been more past tense because we’ve started doing it, but Beeker never did and it took JC too long
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:17 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:

Should have been more past tense because we’ve started doing it, but Beeker never did and it took JC too long

I'll grant you Donahue was bad at this game

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:27 am

just a tip for buttcut brad, if the coach isn't good enough for fordham, he's probably not good enough for a p5 job
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:42 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:just a tip for buttcut brad, if the coach isn't good enough for fordham, he's probably not good enough for a p5 job

Yep. Fordham basketball is like an eternal dumpster fire that should burn in front of the memorial to Smush Parker's NBA career.

As for BC recruiting, we ought to be focusing locally and trying to get some love from the AAU, but we also ought to be recruiting the NYC and DC Catholic schools hard. Sure, you aren't going to beat out the Baby Rapists for the absolute best recruits out of those pools, but there are a lot of diamond in the rough kids in those leagues, who aren't intimidated by the Baby Rapist players they have spent their whole lives playing against and who will stick around four years and feast on Baby Baby Rapists during their one and done year.

On a separate note, Duane Woodward is apparently a recruiting dynamo, getting a lot of love for the talent he brought into Monmouth and now Seton Hall. Might be helpful at some point to have a NYC recruiting guru who also happens to be an alum who as player was the profile for what we might harvest from there.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:25 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:just a tip for buttcut brad, if the coach isn't good enough for fordham, he's probably not good enough for a p5 job

Yep. Fordham basketball is like an eternal dumpster fire that should burn in front of the memorial to Smush Parker's NBA career.

As for BC recruiting, we ought to be focusing locally and trying to get some love from the AAU, but we also ought to be recruiting the NYC and DC Catholic schools hard. Sure, you aren't going to beat out the Baby Rapists for the absolute best recruits out of those pools, but there are a lot of diamond in the rough kids in those leagues, who aren't intimidated by the Baby Rapist players they have spent their whole lives playing against and who will stick around four years and feast on Baby Baby Rapists during their one and done year.

On a separate note, Duane Woodward is apparently a recruiting dynamo, getting a lot of love for the talent he brought into Monmouth and now Seton Hall. Might be helpful at some point to have a NYC recruiting guru who also happens to be an alum who as player was the profile for what we might harvest from there.

Duane wanted the DBO job at BC and Jimmy MAC took a pass.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:30 pm

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:

For real? When?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BConway on Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:48 am

I read on a transfer list today that Jared Hamilton was staying at BC. He done with eligibility no? Gotta be just an oversight right?
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:14 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
BCHerbert {l Wrote}:

For real? When?

Just when I thought I could not possibly have more contempt for Jimmy MAC aka the Covid Kid, this little gem drops. Serious question, has there ever been a worse AD then Buttcut Bates? Everything he touched was a disaster. Everything.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum