2020 Offseason

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2020 Offseason

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Pelham is the most interesting town in Toughchester. Sandwiched between New Roc, Mount Vernon, and the Bronx they live with a siege mentality there. It's no way to live.

Yes, and there is that one dead end street where the houses sit directly on the border with the Bronx that is (or at least used to be) inhabited by a bunch of First Department Judges and certain city officials who were able to check off the requirement that they live in the 1st Department or City while still sending their kids to Pelham public schools.

This is true (Elm Tree, Beech Tree, Park, Shore)... whatever abuts Spit Rock.

Freshman year of college, my best friend grew up in Mahopac (wherever that is.) I don't know if it is toughchester or not, but I'll bet is pretty close.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:06 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Pelham is the most interesting town in Toughchester. Sandwiched between New Roc, Mount Vernon, and the Bronx they live with a siege mentality there. It's no way to live.

Yes, and there is that one dead end street where the houses sit directly on the border with the Bronx that is (or at least used to be) inhabited by a bunch of First Department Judges and certain city officials who were able to check off the requirement that they live in the 1st Department or City while still sending their kids to Pelham public schools.

Freshman year of college, my best friend grew up in Mahopac (wherever that is.) I don't know if it is Toughchester or not, but I'll bet is pretty close.

It is the first town in Putnam across the border from Toughchester. Every so often there is a fight over which county gets it. It's not far from Donald J. Trump State Park, so you'd probably fit in well.

Back to hoops, Stepinac had a kid sign with Carolina this year, RJ Davis. After Ty Jerome (Iona Prep) the only notable hoops recruit I can think of in recent memory our of Toughchester. Marlon Taylor from Mount Vernon plays for LSU and they had someone go to Kentucky in the last five or so years.

Iona and Stepinac are basically just turning themselves into sports schools. Iona offers athletic scholarships (though they don't call them that, they just tell the kid a rich alum will foot the bill for four years). The school in the Bronx likes to think of itself as Regis Monday-Friday, Iona Prep on Saturday.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Sort of like in Toughchester we consider everything north of Beacon and South of Rhinebeck and west of the Taconic to be Poughkeepsie.

Rhinebeck is poughkeepsie, don't be fooled.

Poughkeepsie is strange. The City of Poughkeepsie imports welfare cases from NYC and houses them for cash. Millbrook, Rhinecliff and Rhinebeck import annoying liberals from NYC and houses them for cash.

Our Lady of Lourdes Forever! FDR, PHS and Arlington never!

Lourdes is the UConn of local programs. Girls hoop and nothing else.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:56 pm

Mahopac, Carmel and Lakeland were all in our conference back then.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCHerbert on Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:19 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Freshman year of college, my best friend grew up in Mahopac (wherever that is.) I don't know if it is Toughchester or not, but I'll bet is pretty close.

It is the first town in Putnam across the border from Toughchester. Every so often there is a fight over which county gets it. It's not far from Donald J. Trump State Park, so you'd probably fit in well.

Back to hoops, Stepinac had a kid sign with Carolina this year, RJ Davis. After Ty Jerome (Iona Prep) the only notable hoops recruit I can think of in recent memory our of Toughchester. Marlon Taylor from Mount Vernon plays for LSU and they had someone go to Kentucky in the last five or so years.

Iona and Stepinac are basically just turning themselves into sports schools. Iona offers athletic scholarships (though they don't call them that, they just tell the kid a rich alum will foot the bill for four years). The school in the Bronx likes to think of itself as Regis Monday-Friday, Iona Prep on Saturday.

You need to brush up on your Toughchester history, son! Allan Griffin Jr. from Ossining/Stepinac signed with Illinois in 2018, Jordan Tucker from White Plains/Stepinac signed with Duke in 2017 and now he's with Butler, Bryce Wills from White Plains/Iona Prep signed with Stanford in 2018, Aundre Hyatt from White Plains/Stepinac/Some other Prep School signed with LSU, Obi Toppin from Ossining and 2020 Player of The Year signed with Dayton, Jacob Toppin from Ossining signed with Rhode Island, and the dorks from Scarsdale are sending a kid named Jayshen Saigal to play D-1 at Lehigh.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby NJM89 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:11 am

Top 6 for Fred Scott from Rider. 6-8 12ppg 5reb better than nothing i guess can play right away. Also we reached out to Justyn Hamilton from temple. Situation like Ryan Anderson few years ago where you sit one to play only one more year.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby BConway on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:56 am

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Top 6 for Fred Scott from Rider. 6-8 12ppg 5reb better than nothing i guess can play right away. Also we reached out to Justyn Hamilton from temple. Situation like Ryan Anderson few years ago where you sit one to play only one more year.

I'll take any live big at this point. At least hes a wide body that can move people around a bit.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:51 am

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

You need to brush up on your Toughchester history, son! Allan Griffin Jr. from Ossining/Stepinac signed with Illinois in 2018, Jordan Tucker from White Plains/Stepinac signed with Duke in 2017 and now he's with Butler, Bryce Wills from White Plains/Iona Prep signed with Stanford in 2018, Aundre Hyatt from White Plains/Stepinac/Some other Prep School signed with LSU, Obi Toppin from Ossining and 2020 Player of The Year signed with Dayton, Jacob Toppin from Ossining signed with Rhode Island, and the dorks from Scarsdale are sending a kid named Jayshen Saigal to play D-1 at Lehigh.

This is all interesting information. I did not know Toppin had a brother or that he was headed to Rhode Island. As I said, the changing demographics of the River Towns lead me to believe that the basketball talent would be going down significantly. I had heard through the grapevine that Stepinac was going the North Jersey Catholic School route of being an athletic program attached to a nominal educational institution, but of course, Stepinac was always a nominal educational institution. Did not know Iona was all in on the same thing—although there were some shenanigans that went on back in the day when I was coming out of the NYBC, but that was strictly football only.

Speaking of which, is there any football talent left in Toughchester/Section 1? It was always a spotty—but Roosevelt and Gorton were usually good for a couple of D1 players every year in Yonkers. Ditto for New Roc and White Plains. And Iona and Stepinac as well. Hackley had a stretch of seven or eight years where they decided to match Poly Prep and recruited the Tri State Area aggressively, but they deserve-emphasized the program for a variety of reasons. Mahopac, Carmel, Lakeland and Fox Lane (alma mater of the tragic David Greene) usually had couple of kids between them and way up north Po-town High School used to have about one kid per year, usually a WR who would usually end up failing out of Syracuse or Pitt.
And of course the biggest public school program, North Rockland turned out a couple of D1 players every year until the North Jersey Catholic Schools started recruiting out of there hard in the mid-90s—although it is now my understanding that because of the aforementioned demographic shifts there really isn’t any talent there anymore.

The funny thing about Toughchester football back in the day was that almost of all of the public school kids that got a lot of hype (Harold Gayden and Sammy Moldanado come immediately to mind) ended up being complete busts in college, while the kids who did end up playing well—Nealon Greene and Derrick Lassic come to mind—got only nominal press.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BConway on Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:53 am

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Top 6 for Fred Scott from Rider. 6-8 12ppg 5reb better than nothing i guess can play right away. Also we reached out to Justyn Hamilton from temple. Situation like Ryan Anderson few years ago where you sit one to play only one more year.

And just noticed 40% from 3 last year
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:03 am

BConway {l Wrote}:

He will fit right in with the list of recent BC players who somehow shoot 40% from 3 and 60% from the line
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:25 am

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

My butler and I moved to Fairfield County for the taxes years ago, though Lamont is making that a negligible benefit at this point. My butler's footman has a home on Milton Harbor though so he keeps me up to date on lower Westchester high school athletics.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:14 am

My washroom attendant's driver had to visit Pelham to pick up a rare part for his weekend car vintage BMW, and it scarred him so greatly the therapy costs have forced him to downgrade to a "crystal" membership at his local polo club - or so I hear, he's not allowed onto my property any further than the second gate so I couldn't pick him out of a lineup.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:17 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

He will fit right in with the list of recent BC players who somehow shoot 40% from 3 and 60% from the line

Be wary of a kid shooting a high percentage from 3 in a low tier D1 program until you can see if they have any athleticism. A lot of good shooters at that level aren’t quick enough to get open and the shooting percentage declines precipitously when opponents are able to get out on them.

By way of example, the NEC Freshman of the Year two years ago shot 49% from the floor in that conference and averaged 18 points a game. Transferred to the A-10, wasn’t fast enough to get open on his home and ended up shooting below 25% from 3 and is now transferring again probably down to the MAAC.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:13 pm

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This is all interesting information. I did not know Toppin had a brother or that he was headed to Rhode Island. As I said, the changing demographics of the River Towns lead me to believe that the basketball talent would be going down significantly. I had heard through the grapevine that Stepinac was going the North Jersey Catholic School route of being an athletic program attached to a nominal educational institution, but of course, Stepinac was always a nominal educational institution. Did not know Iona was all in on the same thing—although there were some shenanigans that went on back in the day when I was coming out of the NYBC, but that was strictly football only.

Speaking of which, is there any football talent left in Toughchester/Section 1? It was always a spotty—but Roosevelt and Gorton were usually good for a couple of D1 players every year in Yonkers. Ditto for New Roc and White Plains. And Iona and Stepinac as well. Hackley had a stretch of seven or eight years where they decided to match Poly Prep and recruited the Tri State Area aggressively, but they deserve-emphasized the program for a variety of reasons. Mahopac, Carmel, Lakeland and Fox Lane (alma mater of the tragic David Greene) usually had couple of kids between them and way up north Po-town High School used to have about one kid per year, usually a WR who would usually end up failing out of Syracuse or Pitt.
And of course the biggest public school program, North Rockland turned out a couple of D1 players every year until the North Jersey Catholic Schools started recruiting out of there hard in the mid-90s—although it is now my understanding that because of the aforementioned demographic shifts there really isn’t any talent there anymore.

The funny thing about Toughchester football back in the day was that almost of all of the public school kids that got a lot of hype (Harold Gayden and Sammy Moldanado come immediately to mind) ended up being complete busts in college, while the kids who did end up playing well—Nealon Greene and Derrick Lassic come to mind—got only nominal press.

My understanding is that Yonkers has a ridiculous amount of football talent (for the high school level). Most of Stepinac's rise to the top is on recruiting the Big YO and Iona gets its share. If Yonkers had one centralized high school rather than a bunch of really shitty schools it would be one of the powerhouses in the country. Top players split off to lots of private schools and the public schools have virtually no money to field competitive programs.

Have we already forgotten about Iona Prep's Matt Ryan? Went to ND and finished up at Vanderbilt. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby thebs19 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:21 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

Be wary of a kid shooting a high percentage from 3 in a low tier D1 program until you can see if they have any athleticism. A lot of good shooters at that level aren’t quick enough to get open and the shooting percentage declines precipitously when opponents are able to get out on them.

By way of example, the NEC Freshman of the Year two years ago shot 49% from the floor in that conference and averaged 18 points a game. Transferred to the A-10, wasn’t fast enough to get open on his home and ended up shooting below 25% from 3 and is now transferring again probably down to the MAAC.

Are you referencing Boca Bobby? The shooting numbers are right and yeah, he was majorly disappointing, but he wasn't nearly that good overall at MSM. He barely played regular minutes until the end of the yea r- think he was more like 5 ppg.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:54 pm

Yeah. I fucked up his scoring line with his Bridgetown Academy stats, although he is listed as the NEC frosh of the year and his league scoring average was north of 10—although clustered entirely between 8 and 12 ppg. Schmidt told the Sixth Man Club on the season review call that Planutis was a smart kid (guess he got his undergraduate degree in 3 years), a good teammate and fundamentally sound, but he had slow feet. Compared him to Mobely coming from CCSU and noted that Mobely in addition to having a high basketball IQ was also an athletic freak in whatever shit league CCSU is in, but that Planutis’ high level of effectiveness in NEC was more a function of his basketball IQ.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:12 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Yeah. I fucked up his scoring line with his Bridgetown Academy stats, although he is listed as the NEC frosh of the year and his league scoring average was north of 10—although clustered entirely between 8 and 12 ppg. Schmidt told the Sixth Man Club on the season review call that Planutis was a smart kid (guess he got his undergraduate degree in 3 years), a good teammate and fundamentally sound, but he had slow feet. Compared him to Mobely coming from CCSU and noted that Mobely in addition to having a high basketball IQ was also an athletic freak in whatever shit league CCSU is in, but that Planutis’ high level of effectiveness in NEC was more a function of his basketball IQ.

Raiding the MAAC for talent isn’t going to work very well when you play in the ACC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:01 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Yeah. I fucked up his scoring line with his Bridgetown Academy stats, although he is listed as the NEC frosh of the year and his league scoring average was north of 10—although clustered entirely between 8 and 12 ppg. Schmidt told the Sixth Man Club on the season review call that Planutis was a smart kid (guess he got his undergraduate degree in 3 years), a good teammate and fundamentally sound, but he had slow feet. Compared him to Mobely coming from CCSU and noted that Mobely in addition to having a high basketball IQ was also an athletic freak in whatever shit league CCSU is in, but that Planutis’ high level of effectiveness in NEC was more a function of his basketball IQ.

Raiding the MAAC for talent isn’t going to work very well when you play in the ACC.

It depends. A senior who is a conference player of the year type or a fly under the radar guy who turns out to be a beast can work and there were probably four guys on the Sienna team that went to back to back NCAA 2nd rounds under McCaffery a decade ago who would have started on any team in the ACC this year—excluding Florida State, Duke, Virginia and Louisville—although Ryan Hasbrouck would have started on any of them. I’d also be ecstatic if a guy like Jalen Pickett was willing to transfer here—he’d be our best player and would be better than any player in the Jimmy MAC era excluding Robinson (but including Bowman). I’d also have taken a transfer from Billy Baron, Scott Machado or the midget kid from Monmouth or EJ Crawford and in any of those cases they’d be better than almost our entire roster. But your larger point stands and I don’t think a 5th year from Rider who averaged 12 points a game as a senior is going to do anything for an ACC team—even one as awful as ours.

One other point, as I look at the MAAC kids who could have played for us and in many cases been among our best players, outside of Baron (who actually started out at UVA and could have played there but left to play for his Dad at URI and then Canisius when URI canned Jim Baron) and Jalen Pickett (from Rochester) all of the aforementioned kids came out of the powerhouses of the N.Y. Catholic School Leagues—going through the list they are all from St Ray’s, Brother Rice, Monsignor Farrell, Bishop Loughlin, Chaminade, CTK, Malloy, etc.—and I wonder why, given the recruiting failures we have endured over the years why we don’t go fishing for some diamonds in the rough in that league or the DC Catholic League. The kids who play in those leagues are all tough and not intimidated by the kids that end up at Louisville or Duke or UNC because that is who they have been playing against their whole lives. And while they aren’t as talented as the one/two and dones who populate those schools, who cares if you keep them for four years. We are never going to win the recruiting battles for the wonder kids who go to Duke, UNC or Louisville, but how about some junkyard dogs who are 22 year old men with chips on their shoulders? You think they might be able to manhandle those sorts of kids more than occasionally and might be a tough out in tournament basketball? That was really the model on Al’s best teams—although the kids were from LA instead of NY or DC.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby thebs19 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:54 am

Still think you're overplaying Bobby's work at MSM: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /year/2018

He was supposed to be someone who flashed at times as a frosh and could build on that with a redshirt year anyway, but he wasn't really a contributor. And he definitely wasn't on the NEC all-frosh team, let alone frosh of the year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%8 ... and_awards

Jonah Antonio, a teammate of Bobby's who was on the All-frosh team, transferred to UNLV and was a 7ppg guy in 22 minutes for them. I don't think its impossible to find a contributor from low-majors, but I think the guy should be a contributor there, which Planutis wasn't (He wound up at Purdue-Fort Wayne, by the way). And yeah, slow-footed undersized 4's don't tend to translate well (helllllloooooo Connor Tava). But Teddy Hawkins, Mo Jeffers were useful guys.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:39 am

Rishwain to SF
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:47 pm

Matt Haarms is transferring from Purdue. Much needed size and graduated same year as Mitchell at the same prep school.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:22 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Matt Haarms is transferring from Purdue. Much needed size and graduated same year as Mitchell at the same prep school.

He's going to be in really high demand.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:41 am

This one feels like it makes sense:

"BREAKING Police cars revolving light:

Rider grad transfer Frederick Scott tells us that he will announce his college commitment with us tommorow at 6pm! Scott will choose from

Illinois
Illinois State
Boston College
Arkansas
San Diego
San Francisco

#MAACHoops"

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby StratEagle on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:09 pm

Fred Scott commits to BC.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby BConway on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:23 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Fred Scott commits to BC.

I'll take whatever we can get. At least hes a big body and can stretch the floor a bit. My count we have 11 bodies. 2 more open to add some more bulk maybe? Evan Cole would help a little.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:41 pm

BConway {l Wrote}:

I'll take whatever we can get. At least hes a big body and can stretch the floor a bit. My count we have 11 bodies. 2 more open to add some more bulk maybe? Evan Cole would help a little.

I’m sure he’s better than Luka even without watching him play.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BConway on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BConway {l Wrote}:

I’m sure he’s better than Luka even without watching him play.

No doubt about it. Maybe we go small with Steph at 5 , Scott at the 4 and some combo of 3 guards. Honestly doesnt matter we just need bodies and hes a body.
BConway
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:13 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:Matt Haarms is transferring from Purdue. Much needed size and graduated same year as Mitchell at the same prep school.

He's going to be in really high demand.

Cutting list to 10 on Saturday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:29 am

Made Haarms top 10. We’ll see if Steff can work some magic get his former roommate here.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:39 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Made Haarms top 10. We’ll see if Steff can work some magic get his former roommate here.

Arizona, Kentucky, Memphis and Gonzaga would probably be biggest competition. Battling the big boys on this one.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum