Game 22 - @ UNC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:32 pm

UNC -12 with Cole Anthony returning
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16793
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:36 pm

They’re playing alright

Jairus being able to shoot 3s is an interesting development

Felder better put up hundreds of FTs daily this offseason
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18944
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3205

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:04 pm

At some point during this game I stopped rooting for BC and starting rooting purely against the announcers and their Cole Anthony obsession. Take that, announcers!
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2636
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: 35

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:23 pm

1. Cole Anthony is extremely overrated.
2. Roy Williams is a terrible basketball coach.
3. Listening to the announcers slobber on the cock of a terrible basketball team with an overrated “superstar” and a coach who has wasted more talent than anyone not named Dean Smith is like listening to an IB post read allowed by AOC. At least they were forced to admit at the end that there was contact on the hand.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 496

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:35 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:1. Cole Anthony is extremely overrated.
2. Roy Williams is a terrible basketball coach.
3. Listening to the announcers slobber on the cock of a terrible basketball team with an overrated “superstar” and a coach who has wasted more talent than anyone not named Dean Smith is like listening to an IB post read allowed by AOC. At least they were forced to admit at the end that there was contact on the hand.


Williams is a dolt for running the offense through Anthony rather than his big men. I think Jimmy MAC saved the game with his zone in the last 2 minutes. UNC was flummoxed.
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2636
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: 35

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:38 pm

They fucking won? Ain't that some shit. It was on ACCN iirc, so not like I could watch anyway...
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -245

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:48 pm

Wait, Roy Williams fucking sucks? Is this me posting 10 years ago? No shit Roy Williams sucks. The Earth is also round.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32532
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2460

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby Eagle1999 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:52 pm

This just bought Jimmy Mac another year.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:05 pm
Karma: 69

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 pm

Eagle1999 wrote:This just bought Jimmy Mac another year.


Beating that moron in Chapel Hill on a 10-11 season doesn't move the bar. Jimmy Mac can still save his job, but Marty has already proven he is not stupid enough to think UNC matters.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32532
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2460

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:12 pm

This team is sort of figuring it out. It still shouldn’t be enough to save JC
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16793
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:55 pm

twballgame9 wrote:Wait, Roy Williams fucking sucks? Is this me posting 10 years ago? No shit Roy Williams sucks. The Earth is also round.


Don’t break an arm patting yourself on the back. I think most sentient beings have known that Blubberin’ Roy has sucked since well before he left Kansas. Learning to Coach from Dean Smith is generally not a recipe for success.

I was just reiterating the point because it bears repeating. Imagine how many national championships UNC would have at this point if they actually hired a good coach for a change.
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 496

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:09 pm

Nice win for BC.

As for JC, it's a tough call whether he will be back. I'm thinking they will get at least 3 more wins (NCSU, Clemson and one of @VT/ND/Cuse). Not sure if 8-12 saves JC when Addazio got fired after 4-4.
User avatar
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 4407
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:13 pm
Karma: 155

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:51 pm

Dick Rosenthal wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:Wait, Roy Williams fucking sucks? Is this me posting 10 years ago? No shit Roy Williams sucks. The Earth is also round.


Don’t break an arm patting yourself on the back. I think most sentient beings have known that Blubberin’ Roy has sucked since well before he left Kansas. Learning to Coach from Dean Smith is generally not a recipe for success.

I was just reiterating the point because it bears repeating. Imagine how many national championships UNC would have at this point if they actually hired a good coach for a change.


Imagine not winning with Paul Pierce, Jacques Vaughn, Raef LaFrentz and Scott Pollard.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32532
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2460

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:52 pm

MilitantEagle wrote:Nice win for BC.

As for JC, it's a tough call whether he will be back. I'm thinking they will get at least 3 more wins (NCSU, Clemson and one of @VT/ND/Cuse). Not sure if 8-12 saves JC when Addazio got fired after 4-4.


It's not the same. 4-4 in football is like 3-15 in hoop. Your mom could be .500 in ACC football
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32532
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2460

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:56 am

MilitantEagle wrote:Nice win for BC.

As for JC, it's a tough call whether he will be back. I'm thinking they will get at least 3 more wins (NCSU, Clemson and one of @VT/ND/Cuse). Not sure if 8-12 saves JC when Addazio got fired after 4-4.


I think he returns at 8-12. Needle would be pointing up on the program
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16793
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby commavegarage on Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 am

Hilarious that i still can’t watch these games in Boston.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall
 
Posts: 7194
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:33 pm
Karma: 737

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:26 am

At the moment I suspect he's out, but he's inching back towards saving himself

I realize we always say this, but if we can add a healthy Tabbs to the mix for next year, that's not a terrible team
"The above is so fraught with stupid I don’t even know where to begin." - eepstein0

Eagle Outsider "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
User avatar
Corporal Funishment
Cushing Hall
 
Posts: 2636
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:10 pm
Karma: 35

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:20 am

Corporal Funishment wrote:At the moment I suspect he's out, but he's inching back towards saving himself

I realize we always say this, but if we can add a healthy Tabbs to the mix for next year, that's not a terrible team


It's not really a terrible team right now. I've given up pretending the guy can coach
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32532
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2460

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:23 am

twballgame9 wrote:
Dick Rosenthal wrote:
twballgame9 wrote:Wait, Roy Williams fucking sucks? Is this me posting 10 years ago? No shit Roy Williams sucks. The Earth is also round.


Don’t break an arm patting yourself on the back. I think most sentient beings have known that Blubberin’ Roy has sucked since well before he left Kansas. Learning to Coach from Dean Smith is generally not a recipe for success.

I was just reiterating the point because it bears repeating. Imagine how many national championships UNC would have at this point if they actually hired a good coach for a change.


Imagine not winning with Paul Pierce, Jacques Vaughn, Raef LaFrentz and Scott Pollard.


It is remarkable. Of course, if you want to see absolute clinics in terrible coaching, go watch the NCAA Final between UNC and Georgetown. Thompson and Smith doing everything in their power to hamstring the talent at their disposal by reigning it into systems that held back the athletes they had. Astonishing. I shudder to think what a Larry Brown, Bob Knight or Denny Crum might have done with the talent available on both of those rosters.

Or if you want to see the piece de resistance of Smith being Smith while Blubberin’ Roy sits next to him looking terrified and confused, check out the 1977 Final against Marquette where he managed to lose to Butch Lee (basically by himself with some incidental help from Bo Ellis and Bernard Toone) despite having a back court of Phil Ford and Walter Davis. I suppose it shouldn’t shock the conscience so much considering he almost lost the Olympics the year before to Butch Lee and Puerto Rico (after he cut Lee from the US Olympic team because he couldn’t figure out how to pair Lee with Adrian Dantley—Smith, in similar fashion to his Michael Jordan experience being the only coach able to hold Adrian Dantley under 20 ppg).
Dick Rosenthal
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:39 pm
Karma: 496

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:54 pm

Corporal Funishment wrote:At the moment I suspect he's out, but he's inching back towards saving himself

I realize we always say this, but if we can add a healthy Tabbs to the mix for next year, that's not a terrible team


I don’t think you can count on Tabbs as a useful piece. He hasn’t played in 2 years
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16793
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:55 pm

twballgame9 wrote:
Corporal Funishment wrote:At the moment I suspect he's out, but he's inching back towards saving himself

I realize we always say this, but if we can add a healthy Tabbs to the mix for next year, that's not a terrible team


It's not really a terrible team right now. I've given up pretending the guy can coach


They’re a wildly inconsistent team from night to night
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16793
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:13 pm

Eagle1999 wrote:This just bought Jimmy Mac another year.


I don't think so. You can't just beat UNC and go 7-11 in ACC play (or whatever it will be) and say hey, UNC wound up being a 4 or a 5 seed in the N-I-T in 2020 and BC beat them so Jimmy is the answer. Follow this win up with another 10 wins, and we can talk about maybe saving Jimmy.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18042
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -21

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:53 pm

They are 5-6 in conference. Last year they were 5-13. They lose out and he is probably done (although youth and injuries!). He wins a few more games and now it’s progress (despite youth and injuries) which I think will save him. If BC was building a new BB only facility that would help a change as BC could go all in on a name coach to sell the move and the future. Hopefully Jarmond and the BC leadership can see the energy that Hafley brought and want to replicate it with hoops. I do not believe Jimmy Mac can ever provide that.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:05 pm
Karma: 69

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby BC923 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:57 pm

Eagle1999 wrote:They are 5-6 in conference. Last year they were 5-13. They lose out and he is probably done (although youth and injuries!). He wins a few more games and now it’s progress (despite youth and injuries) which I think will save him. If BC was building a new BB only facility that would help a change as BC could go all in on a name coach to sell the move and the future. Hopefully Jarmond and the BC leadership can see the energy that Hafley brought and want to replicate it with hoops. I do not believe Jimmy Mac can ever provide that.

Be honest with yourself, what “name coach” would come to BC right now? At the very least you’ve got to have a blueprint and construction ready to go to attract any coach that would move the needle.

I’d like to get rid of Jimmy Mac, but right now you’d just be trying to catch a rising star from the low/mid major range if you went on the market.
BC923
Merkert Hall
 
Posts: 3394
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:11 pm
Karma: 447

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:05 pm

BC923 wrote:
Eagle1999 wrote:They are 5-6 in conference. Last year they were 5-13. They lose out and he is probably done (although youth and injuries!). He wins a few more games and now it’s progress (despite youth and injuries) which I think will save him. If BC was building a new BB only facility that would help a change as BC could go all in on a name coach to sell the move and the future. Hopefully Jarmond and the BC leadership can see the energy that Hafley brought and want to replicate it with hoops. I do not believe Jimmy Mac can ever provide that.

Be honest with yourself, what “name coach” would come to BC right now? At the very least you’ve got to have a blueprint and construction ready to go to attract any coach that would move the needle.

I’d like to get rid of Jimmy Mac, but right now you’d just be trying to catch a rising star from the low/mid major range if you went on the market.


Right now? No “name” coach would come here which is why we got Jimmy Mac.....someone we all had to look up when he was hired. If we are offering a brand new facility, a raise, and a home in the ACC I’m sure you can get someone. Basketball is easier to build than football. Right now football has energy. Hopefully leadership can see that it’s possible in basketball too.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:05 pm
Karma: 69

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:25 pm

innocentbystander wrote:
Eagle1999 wrote:This just bought Jimmy Mac another year.


I don't think so. You can't just beat UNC and go 7-11 in ACC play (or whatever it will be) and say hey, UNC wound up being a 4 or a 5 seed in the N-I-T in 2020 and BC beat them so Jimmy is the answer. Follow this win up with another 10 wins, and we can talk about maybe saving Jimmy.


He can come back if he can get this team into the NIT. They’d need to close really strong.
User avatar
eepstein0
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 16793
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 pm
Karma: -273

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:51 pm

eepstein0 wrote:
innocentbystander wrote:
Eagle1999 wrote:This just bought Jimmy Mac another year.


I don't think so. You can't just beat UNC and go 7-11 in ACC play (or whatever it will be) and say hey, UNC wound up being a 4 or a 5 seed in the N-I-T in 2020 and BC beat them so Jimmy is the answer. Follow this win up with another 10 wins, and we can talk about maybe saving Jimmy.


He can come back if he can get this team into the NIT. They’d need to close really strong.


No I dont think so. Getting BC into the N-I-T is like Addazio getting BC to 6-6 and the annual massengil moisture bowl. 6 bowl appearances in 7 seasons did not save Addazio.

If he doesn't get them into the NCAA tourney this year, Jimmy Mac is a goner.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
User avatar
innocentbystander
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18042
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:40 pm
Location: Pac-12 Hell
Karma: -21

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby claver2010 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:51 pm

barring a collapse down the stretch i think he's back IRregardless.

he can point to an improved record, 3 of the best players missing significant time + the players coming in.

i still think they need a 5th year 5 but a lineup of:
heath / langford / tabbs / felder / hamilton

with: steff, MAL, rishwain, vanderbaan off the bench you might be onto something
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
User avatar
claver2010
Gasson Hall
 
Posts: 18944
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm
Karma: 3205

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:57 pm

Short lineup. Like Uka Agbai and John Beerbohm short.
As long as I'm breathing, I'll sing for the Metro...

Promotion/Relegation? GFY.
User avatar
MF73-Eleazar
Campion Hall
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am
Location: New York City
Karma: -245

Re: Game 22 - @ UNC

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:31 pm

I actually think playing Hamilton at the 5 might make him little more aggressive.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
User avatar
twballgame9
BC Guy
 
Posts: 32532
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am
Karma: 2460

Next

Return to Conte Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Untitled document