The Tight Flex Offense.....

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

The Tight Flex Offense.....

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:18 am

.....Was nowhere to be seen in the first half yesterday. And I don't think any of the 443 people in attendance missed it.

I'm not basketball 101 savvy enough to know if they were running more of a spread flex offense, or something totally different. But I was enjoying the hell out of it. Passes down low to Rakim, Corey, Joe and Dallas running the baseline -- passes in the seams of the defense to find open shots. Passes around the perimeter to create wide open jump shots. It was good stuff. With Rakim, Tyler, Joe, Dallas, Reggie and Biko, we've got 6 guys who can hit the open 3. With the exception of Tyler and Biko, they can all also score closer to the basketball. And they are all good passers. I love the idea of spreading the floor out and picking the defense apart with smart passing (as opposed to creating a mosh pit in the lane and shooting the ball from the elbow after wearing the opponent down and putting the crowd to sleep).

Of course we started the 2nd half back in the everyone-in-the-paint flex. I groaned so loudly that people around me checked in to see if I was okay.....

But I guess it will be good if we can run different offenses depending on the game situation. Of course, Al is such a creature of habit we may have just seen what we'll see the whole season: spread the offense out in the first half, condense it in the second half. Hopefully not.

Anybody else who was there have any thoughts?
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Re: The Tight Flex Offense.....

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:14 am

Get used to the flex, it's what we'll be running until Al moves onto a different school. It's an offense that will actually be effective this year because we have a SG who is like 6'5 and weighs 250 lbs.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:43 pm

If we're really running the offense -- and by that I mean the ultra-tight flex -- does the point guard really matter? He makes the first [painful] bounce pass to the elbow -- and then mayhem ensures within the paint. Maybe the point gets it back when he circles back around the top.....but maybe not.

Biko seems much more important as a distributor of the ball when 1) we're on the break (which hopefully we will be a lot) and/or 2) we're running a more relaxed offense like we did in the first half yesterday.

I think Al is going to surprise us this year and open things up a little. Maybe it's still a flex but we won't have five guys crowding around the key.

My fingers are crossed, but you guys are probably right. Inertia is a powerful force in Al's playbook....
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:39 pm

The offense isn't going to "open up". We're still going to run that ridiculous offense of his. And no I'm not OJ or anything like that but I really do hate the flex. 5 guys are going to be in the paint, Southern will telegraph a pass and then cue hightlight reel dunk for other team.

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:If we're really running the offense -- and by that I mean the ultra-tight flex -- does the point guard really matter? He makes the first [painful] bounce pass to the elbow -- and then mayhem ensures within the paint. Maybe the point gets it back when he circles back around the top.....but maybe not.

Biko seems much more important as a distributor of the ball when 1) we're on the break (which hopefully we will be a lot) and/or 2) we're running a more relaxed offense like we did in the first half yesterday.

I think Al is going to surprise us this year and open things up a little. Maybe it's still a flex but we won't have five guys crowding around the key.

My fingers are crossed, but you guys are probably right. Inertia is a powerful force in Al's playbook....
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:57 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The offense isn't going to "open up". We're still going to run that ridiculous offense of his. And no I'm not OJ or anything like that but I really do hate the flex. 5 guys are going to be in the paint, Southern will telegraph a pass and then cue hightlight reel dunk for other team.

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:If we're really running the offense -- and by that I mean the ultra-tight flex -- does the point guard really matter? He makes the first [painful] bounce pass to the elbow -- and then mayhem ensures within the paint. Maybe the point gets it back when he circles back around the top.....but maybe not.

You aren't OJ, because Eagledom-ass is OJ.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:59 pm

Just wanted to make sure we all were on the same page. I should mention that I'm extremely high to BC basketball this season this team could be terrific.

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The offense isn't going to "open up". We're still going to run that ridiculous offense of his. And no I'm not OJ or anything like that but I really do hate the flex. 5 guys are going to be in the paint, Southern will telegraph a pass and then cue hightlight reel dunk for other team.

eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby jrlbc06 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:36 pm

I don't mind the flex...when Rice doesn't dribble around for 25-29 seconds and then take an awful shot.
jrlbc06
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I am? News to me.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:53 pm

The flex is so exciting, i can't type amymore.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby jrlbc06 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:09 pm

If we win with the flex I'm not going to complain.
jrlbc06
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:45 am

jrlbc06 {l Wrote}:If we win with the flex I'm not going to complain.

Agreed. Basketball doesn't need to be exciting to produce wins. Of course I'd rather have both if possible. My main issue with the flex ain't the pace or bore. It's the easy dunks the opposition gets because no one is in position to stop a fast break on a TO or long rebound. It's obvious and painful and it needs to stop.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:35 am

People realize that the tight flex was an adaptation by Al, right? We didn't run it that tight when we had Bell nor did Al run it at URI like when he had smallish lineups. He ran more traditional flexes. We didn't go tight until it became so devastating with Smith and Dudley. I imagine he wants to revert to it now because he's got a fairly big lineup and doesn't have many true shooters. It is the right idea and will probably be very efficient.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:47 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:People realize that the tight flex was an adaptation by Al, right? We didn't run it that tight when we had Bell nor did Al run it at URI like when he had smallish lineups. He ran more traditional flexes. We didn't go tight until it became so devastating with Smith and Dudley. I imagine he wants to revert to it now because he's got a fairly big lineup and doesn't have many true shooters. It is the right idea and will probably be very efficient.

Agree with your point about Al adapting - the flex is supposed to be spread out. That said, this is not a tight flex team - only Sanders and maybe Raji would benefit from eliminating spacing, unlike the Smith/Dudley/Marshall teams. Trapani, Paris, Jackson - all better with more room.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:People realize that the tight flex was an adaptation by Al, right? We didn't run it that tight when we had Bell nor did Al run it at URI like when he had smallish lineups. He ran more traditional flexes. We didn't go tight until it became so devastating with Smith and Dudley. I imagine he wants to revert to it now because he's got a fairly big lineup and doesn't have many true shooters. It is the right idea and will probably be very efficient.

Agree with your point about Al adapting - the flex is supposed to be spread out. That said, this is not a tight flex team - only Sanders and maybe Raji would benefit from eliminating spacing, unlike the Smith/Dudley/Marshall teams. Trapani, Paris, Jackson - all better with more room.

And I assume that what our first poster saw in the first half was just that. Did it remind of watching Maryland play, maybe? Gary Williams is a flex fanatic as well,and runs the more traditional, spread out version.

I wonder if Al ran the tight flex in the second half because he plans on using both setups depending on personnel/matchups ("oh but Al doesn't coach! He should yell at the refs and stomp his feet some more!!!)
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:57 am

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Chilltown on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Why everyone gets hung up on the offense is beyond me. Over the past 4 years in the ACC, Skinner's flex (call it tight, loose, whatever you want) has been in the top 3 of offensive efficiency (as measured by points per possession). This year, I think we will see more of the same.

The key is the defense. Last year, BC was the 2nd worst team in defensive efficiency (giving up 1.11 points per possession). If this team is to make the leap, it needs to happen on the defensive end.
Chilltown
n00b

Postby BC923 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:06 pm

Chilltown {l Wrote}:Why everyone gets hung up on the offense is beyond me. Over the past 4 years in the ACC, Skinner's flex (call it tight, loose, whatever you want) has been in the top 3 of offensive efficiency (as measured by points per possession). This year, I think we will see more of the same.

The key is the defense. Last year, BC was the 2nd worst team in defensive efficiency (giving up 1.11 points per possession). If this team is to make the leap, it needs to happen on the defensive end.

This is a great post. The offense isn't the area to worry about, the defense is.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:35 pm

And I worry about our lack of size when it comes to defense. We have Southern, but he's not much of a shot-blocker, and even if he was you can't rely on him because of the fouls. Hopefully he has figured that out some.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:22 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:And I worry about our lack of size when it comes to defense. We have Southern, but he's not much of a shot-blocker, and even if he was you can't rely on him because of the fouls. Hopefully he has figured that out some.

It is an issue and will continue to be until we recruit a true power forward. As far as Southern's shot blocking, he is not a shot blocker at all and will have to rely on positioning (he has like a 4" vertical). Problem is, he is so slow that he gets out of position a lot - hence the dumb fouls.

The good thing is that there aren't that many teams in the ACC that can take advantage of BC's weaknesses like Wake and Clemson were able to last year. Bad news is you get a match up like USC in the tourney and are completely outmatched.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:48 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:And I worry about our lack of size when it comes to defense. We have Southern, but he's not much of a shot-blocker, and even if he was you can't rely on him because of the fouls. Hopefully he has figured that out some.

It is an issue and will continue to be until we recruit a true power forward. As far as Southern's shot blocking, he is not a shot blocker at all and will have to rely on positioning (he has like a 4" vertical). Problem is, he is so slow that he gets out of position a lot - hence the dumb fouls.

The good thing is that there aren't that many teams in the ACC that can take advantage of BC's weaknesses like Wake and Clemson were able to last year. Bad news is you get a match up like USC in the tourney and are completely outmatched.

Using the mostest cheatingest program in D1 basketball might not be the best way to make your point.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Using the mostest cheatingest program in D1 basketball might not be the best way to make your point.

I used 3 teams to make the point, not just USC. Also, how many teams did USC beat in the tourney besides BC? The point is that BC still has weaknesses that will be exploited by certain matchups....all teams do to some extent, but BC's front court size and rebounding ability might be a glaring weakness on anotherwise good team.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

I used 3 teams to make the point, not just USC. Also, how many teams did USC beat in the tourney besides BC? The point is that BC still has weaknesses that will be exploited by certain matchups....all teams do to some extent, but BC's front court size and rebounding ability might be a glaring weakness on anotherwise good team.

You mean a 5 point loss to national runner-up MSU? Gee, that proves a lot!

I agree with the matchup part, just was pointing out that USC matches up differently because they cheat and are all about 1 and dones. Clemson is still gonna push us around this year - that I am sure of. BC has to expoit the size differences with the backcourt for it to balance out.

As you say, all teams have weaknesses. Glaring weakness doesn't always equal horrible weakness. If Ravenel can step up it could go a long way too.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:13 am

Great post about the defense. That has been the main problem. I think it isn't about the type of players. I think Al needs a more defined defensive scheme. Right now the ameoba leaves the other team to too many easy baskets and doesn't get enough offensive rebounds.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:24 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Great post about the defense. That has been the main problem. I think it isn't about the type of players. I think Al needs a more defined defensive scheme. Right now the ameoba leaves the other team to too many easy baskets and doesn't get enough offensive rebounds.

Is one of our assistant coaches considered a "defense guy?" I've always felt that we lost that when Coen got his team.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Return to Conte Forum