Louisville Gamethread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Louisville Gamethread

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:20 pm

I dunno, is Danny Hurley an upgrade over Christian? My guess is he is going to be available and looking to move into a P5. I had my doubts about his and his brother's coaching chops, but Bobby is doing an objectively excellent job at ASU and Danny looks like he is going to run away with the A-10 after losing his three best players from last year's team.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:This seems like a good time to ask this (although I assume I know the answer and everyone but me and like two other posters will say fire him). Let's say they fall short of the tournament but don't go into a complete tailspin. Are people in favor of keeping Christian? Let's say its something like:

L @ Syracuse
W vs Virginia Tech
W vs Georgia Tech
L @ Notre Dame
L vs Miami
W @ Pittsburgh
L vs Notre Dame
L @ NC State
L @Miami
W vs Syracuse
L@ Florida State

1 win in ACCT

18-15, win 1 or lose 1 in NIT, your choice

Assume it is not obvious that none of Bowman, Robinson, Mitchel and Hamilton will be less likely to be here next year if he's not back (EG, you don't have Bowman saying he's leaving if Christian leaves but also don't know for sure that someone is leaving regardless), but that him staying improves the odds of the roster returning intact by some factor.

I know no one is excited with retaining Christian for a 5th year under that scenario, but what would your preference be? I'm a slight yes but would need a tourney berth in the following year or would be a definite no.

I'm by no means an apologist for this guy, but he is at worst a mediocre Xs and Os guy, and 18 wins would be a nice upward trajectory that he further bolstered by landing what sounds like a nice incoming group. I guess it would depend on how the games are played - if they are as competitive as they have been in all but the UNC game, I'd keep him. Making the tournament is not a requirement.

if they win 4-5 more ACC games and all the rest at double digit blow outs, I'd certainly be less inclined to keep him.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:44 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I dunno, is Danny Hurley an upgrade over Christian? My guess is he is going to be available and looking to move into a P5. I had my doubts about his and his brother's coaching chops, but Bobby is doing an objectively excellent job at ASU and Danny looks like he is going to run away with the A-10 after losing his three best players from last year's team.

I would hope we could aim a little higher than Danny Hurley.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 pm

:irr
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:I dunno, is Danny Hurley an upgrade over Christian? My guess is he is going to be available and looking to move into a P5. I had my doubts about his and his brother's coaching chops, but Bobby is doing an objectively excellent job at ASU and Danny looks like he is going to run away with the A-10 after losing his three best players from last year's team.

I would hope we could aim a little higher than Danny Hurley.

It would be an upgrade over the mac and ivy all stars.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby sparky on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:46 pm

I think 18 wins is a tad optimistic, but I also don't think Jarmond gives him the boot. I know nobody likes Christian around here, but the team is still fairly young and improving, not to mention exciting. People are starting to come back to Conte. And, hey, if Hawkins doesn't break his leg, who knows what our conference record is now.
sparky
Carney Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm by no means an apologist for this guy, but he is at worst a mediocre Xs and Os guy, and 18 wins would be a nice upward trajectory that he further bolstered by landing what sounds like a nice incoming group. I guess it would depend on how the games are played - if they are as competitive as they have been in all but the UNC game, I'd keep him. Making the tournament is not a requirement.

I share this view. I am okay with keeping him around under this scenario. We all know the school won't make the correct hire so why not give him another year given this trajectory and the recruiting class?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm by no means an apologist for this guy, but he is at worst a mediocre Xs and Os guy, and 18 wins would be a nice upward trajectory that he further bolstered by landing what sounds like a nice incoming group. I guess it would depend on how the games are played - if they are as competitive as they have been in all but the UNC game, I'd keep him. Making the tournament is not a requirement.

I share this view. I am okay with keeping him around under this scenario. We all know the school won't make the correct hire so why not give him another year given this trajectory and the recruiting class?

I assume there are some who think Jarmond increases the likelihood of a good replacement. Personally, I think that is more likely in football than basketball and a sure thing in neither, but I can appreciate the possibility.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:31 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I assume there are some who think Jarmond increases the likelihood of a good replacement. Personally, I think that is more likely in football than basketball and a sure thing in neither, but I can appreciate the possibility.

if we had a "cutest couple" contest, i think you and mrs. skinner would run away with the prize. you two are tighter than the eo coaching staff shoved into a telephone booth
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum