Columbia Gamethread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Columbia Gamethread

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Yikes bad start
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: Columbia Gamethread

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:34 pm

any bc fan could see this coming a mile away

pop / jc / luka should absolutely dominate downlow
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:46 pm

good to see this team doesn't automatically die after a bad start.

also, for all the x's and o's cred that Donahue had, Christian's teams move in a much more interesting way on offense and look tougher to guard
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 pm

I think Columbia started 4 guards and a forward.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:07 pm

We've shot 14 J's from way downtown and 8 have gone BANG!, plus we're 12 of 13 from the charity stripe. This should be a rout already.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:23 pm

21-6 run for BC.

I think it was Columbia 21 BC 10 when I first tuned in.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:52 pm

Decent hangover win in the end
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:14 am

I took a look at a bit of the game this morning.

BC's lack of depth is going to get them into trouble during ACC play. It's amazing in Year 4 the lack of bench options we have. I trust Kraljevic and Reyes off the bench sort of.

Baker isn't ready (I could see him developing eventually into a decent piece), but I find it hard to believe that there isn't someone in the student section who is better than Wilson. I have 1 year of NCAA eligibility remaining, and will happily take a free Masters degree to play 5 minutes off the bench as a back-up guard.

They should've gone after a 5th year guard even from a DII school.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I took a look at a bit of the game this morning.

BC's lack of depth is going to get them into trouble during ACC play. It's amazing in Year 4 the lack of bench options we have. I trust Kraljevic and Reyes off the bench sort of.

Baker isn't ready (I could see him developing eventually into a decent piece), but I find it hard to believe that there isn't someone in the student section who is better than Wilson. I have 1 year of NCAA eligibility remaining, and will happily take a free Masters degree to play 5 minutes off the bench as a back-up guard.

They should've gone after a 5th year guard even from a DII school.

Was thinking the same thing. There’s going to be real problems in the ACC schedule with this short bench and a 7.5 man rotation.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:50 am

but. but, but we beat duke - the #1 team in the country. i think you guys misspelled "this is the greatest team of all time and we should be extending jimmy mac into the '30s"
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Depth is overrated in college basketball. It's nice to have and if you want to press you need it, but your best players should be playing tons of minutes anyway, and you can usually rotate the sub through the positions. You need to squeeze 5-10 minutes out of a guard and have an extra big because they often get in foul trouble.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Depth is overrated in college basketball. It's nice to have and if you want to press you need it, but your best players should be playing tons of minutes anyway, and you can usually rotate the sub through the positions. You need to squeeze 5-10 minutes out of a guard and have an extra big because they often get in foul trouble.

I agree with the premise, but we're like 6 players deep.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:17 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Depth is overrated in college basketball. It's nice to have and if you want to press you need it, but your best players should be playing tons of minutes anyway, and you can usually rotate the sub through the positions. You need to squeeze 5-10 minutes out of a guard and have an extra big because they often get in foul trouble.

I agree with the premise, but we're like 6 players deep.

If Turner were still here (warts and all) you could use Chatman to sub all three positions and then have Pop, Mitchell, Kraljevic and Reyes rotate at the 4/5. But yes, the problem with this roster is no small forward, forcing Chatman to play there, and eliminating any decent backup at the guard position. You could go big and play Mitchell at the 3 if you think Kraljevic can contribute. Problem is that on this roster, Chatman probably needs to be a starter.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Depth is overrated in college basketball. It's nice to have and if you want to press you need it, but your best players should be playing tons of minutes anyway, and you can usually rotate the sub through the positions.

That is one of the smarter things you've said Teddy. And I agree with you. Depth in college basketball is largely overrated. But I get the impression that if I had said that first (and not you) that you would have teased me and disagreed with me on general principle of being a dick.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:32 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Depth is overrated in college basketball. It's nice to have and if you want to press you need it, but your best players should be playing tons of minutes anyway, and you can usually rotate the sub through the positions.

That is one of the smarter things you've said Teddy. And I agree with you. Depth in college basketball is largely overrated. But I get the impression that if I had said that first (and not you) that you would have teased me and disagreed with me on general principle of being a dick.

On general principles yes I am a dick and you are fucking stupid. We agree.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:24 pm

I think Kraljevic is decent and am comfortable with him as part of a 7-man rotation.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:40 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I think Kraljevic is decent and am comfortable with him as part of a 7-man rotation.

Post game presser Christian wanted to initially sub him in the Duke game, but didn't. Maybe he's ready after all?
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Return to Conte Forum