Celtics fans playoff thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Celtics fans playoff thread

Postby twballgame9 on Mon May 22, 2017 9:33 am

I'm all for letting Thomas walk, but I'm sure this wasn't his decision, and I am sure they assumed the rest of the playoffs was only two games.

In the meantime, enjoyed catching the last 10 minutes of the game last night.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:37 pm

I'm gonna make a falsifiable hot take here and say I don't think Lonzo Ball is gonna be good enough to justify the #2 pick
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Manny on Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I'm gonna make a falsifiable hot take here and say I don't think Lonzo Ball is gonna be good enough to justify the #2 pick

I agree. He's an average athlete and will get eaten alive on D, at least for a few years. And while he's an unbelievable passer, he'll struggle to make defenses respect him as a scorer. He had to fade away to get his shot off in college. Not going to work against bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter defenders.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:22 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Manny {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I'm gonna make a falsifiable hot take here and say I don't think Lonzo Ball is gonna be good enough to justify the #2 pick

I agree. He's an average athlete and will get eaten alive on D, at least for a few years. And while he's an unbelievable passer, he'll struggle to make defenses respect him as a scorer. He had to fade away to get his shot off in college. Not going to work against bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter defenders.

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys were right or if he turned into a HOFer, I just haven't watched him play.

That said, sounds like Manny is describing a taller Jason Kidd here...

He reminds me of a taller Ricky Rubio which is not really an asset on a basketball court.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:01 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Manny {l Wrote}:

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys were right or if he turned into a HOFer, I just haven't watched him play.

He reminds me of a taller Ricky Rubio which is not really an asset on a basketball court.

Yikes

Both are great passers, commit a ton of TOs, can't shoot and will be liabilities on defense. Both are also very average athletically.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Manny on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:29 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Manny {l Wrote}:

That's certainly not far off, but Kidd was always a bull, and could more than manage physically. Ball is super thin, and occasionally got bullied by random college kids. It's entirely possible he'll get stronger - his annoying and omnipresent dad is a pretty big guy.

The Rubio comparison has some merit too, but is a little unfair. Ball has the same freakish vision and understanding, and is crazy good at controlling tempo, especially for a teenager. The main difference to me is that Ball is actually a pretty good shooter when he has time, and even off the dribble - I just don't have much faith that he'll get his shot off cleanly in the NBA because his form is so screwy. Rubio can't shoot 35% by himself in the gym, and a lot of the time plays like he thinks it's illegal for him to shoot outside 6 feet.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:08 pm

Manny {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Manny {l Wrote}:

That's certainly not far off, but Kidd was always a bull, and could more than manage physically. Ball is super thin, and occasionally got bullied by random college kids. It's entirely possible he'll get stronger - his annoying and omnipresent dad is a pretty big guy.

The Rubio comparison has some merit too, but is a little unfair. Ball has the same freakish vision and understanding, and is crazy good at controlling tempo, especially for a teenager. The main difference to me is that Ball is actually a pretty good shooter when he has time, and even off the dribble - I just don't have much faith that he'll get his shot off cleanly in the NBA because his form is so screwy. Rubio can't shoot 35% by himself in the gym, and a lot of the time plays like he thinks it's illegal for him to shoot outside 6 feet.

Ball reminds me of Kidd, but only the college version of Kidd, he even looks a little like him. Kidd adapted his ugly jumper for the NBA and as manny says, got really strong. Agree that Ball's problem is the looks he'll get (a la Kidd) and not the jumper itself (a la Rubio) - we'll see if he can adapt and be as good a player as Kidd.

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Manny on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:25 pm

Side note: I hope for his sake that Ball is mentally tough. Because of his dipshit father, everyone in the league is going to look to humiliate him as often as possible. He might get the Shawn Bradley treatment for a few years.
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:11 pm

I guess all the talk about LeBron giving Michael Jordon a run at the all time best player title is just that....talk. When the game was on the line, LeBron disappeared. Not only did he do nothing down the stretch offensively, but he gave Durant a wide open 3 to win the game.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:13 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:I guess all the talk about LeBron giving Michael Jordon a run at the all time best player title is just that....talk. When the game was on the line, LeBron disappeared. Not only did he do nothing down the stretch offensively, but he gave Durant a wide open 3 to win the game.

all part of the script. they will use that in previews and game promotion next year for the entirety of the season and label it "retribution" or something like that... all leading up to the 7 game series that the cleveland bronbrons squeak by the golden state ugmos
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:57 pm

I fucking hate the NBA. I hate how it has devolved into a poorly played Mickey Ds All America game. I hate pretty much everything about the product. It is through that lens I offer the following...

I think this a very good draft. Possibly the best draft in years. That said, what makes this draft so good is its depth. I do not think that there is a Lebron or a Durant in this draft. Heck, I think it is highly unlikely there is even a Kyrie Irving. However, I think there are multiple quality starters. But, when you compare that to previous years where Anthony Bennett was the #1 overall pick... this is a historically good draft. I think that when it is all said and done, Josh Jackson has the best chance to be a superstar from this class. Also, while I am not saying he should be a top 5 pick... I think some team is going to get a steal in Bam Adebayo. I think Fulz and Fox are very safe picks who will both have quality careers. But, I also think that the PG from NCS and the rail-thin kid from FSU offer significantly more risk, but could have even higher upside. Lastly, I'm not a Ball guy. If I want a scoring PG, I guy Fulz. If I wan't a true Foot (i.e. ball handler), I go Dennis Smith. If I want and all-around PG, I go Fox. However, I think Ball can be a productive player... just not someone I would use a top 3 pick on.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:05 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I fucking hate the NBA. I hate how it has devolved into a poorly played Mickey Ds All America game. I hate pretty much everything about the product. It is through that lens I offer the following...

I think this a very good draft. Possibly the best draft in years. That said, what makes this draft so good is its depth. I do not think that there is a Lebron or a Durant in this draft. Heck, I think it is highly unlikely there is even a Kyrie Irving. However, I think there are multiple quality starters. But, when you compare that to previous years where Anthony Bennett was the #1 overall pick... this is a historically good draft. I think that when it is all said and done, Josh Jackson has the best chance to be a superstar from this class. Also, while I am not saying he should be a top 5 pick... I think some team is going to get a steal in Bam Adebayo. I think Fulz and Fox are very safe picks who will both have quality careers. But, I also think that the PG from NCS and the rail-thin kid from FSU offer significantly more risk, but could have even higher upside. Lastly, I'm not a Ball guy. If I want a scoring PG, I guy Fulz. If I wan't a true Foot (i.e. ball handler), I go Dennis Smith. If I want and all-around PG, I go Fox. However, I think Ball can be a productive player... just not someone I would use a top 3 pick on.

I agree with this, after Fultz. If Ainge agrees with you, he will trade down. The Kings can offer 5 and 10, and Philly can offer 3 and a forward. But I think Ainge thinks Fultz ' ceiling is Kyrie Irving.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:30 am

i lol'd at the foot comment
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:09 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i lol'd at the foot comment

me too
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:24 am

:x
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:28 am

The disinformation machine is in full effect - now Ford saying Ainge will take Jackson and move Crowder or Brown.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:43 am

- They should move Crowder either way
- I'd do that deal with the Kings if I thought Fox would be there
- I don't want any of the 76ers forwards not named Embid and they're not moving him.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:04 pm

They have to move one of Crowder, Bradley, or someone else if they want to sign Hayward or Griffin.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:- I'd do that deal with the Kings if I thought Fox would be there

What is the deal? I also like Fox.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The disinformation machine is in full effect - now Ford saying Ainge will take Jackson and move Crowder or Brown.

Why do you need to disseminate disinformation when you own the top pick in the draft? The aforementioned 5 and 10 picks proposed trade would be unaffected by such a rumor as Jackson was never falling to 5. Further, to the extent that a rumor is meant to spur Philly to package #3... I don't think Jackson is the guy that would make them jump (as Guard is a much bigger need for them).

If I am the Cs, I would pick Jackson.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:19 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:- I'd do that deal with the Kings if I thought Fox would be there

What is the deal? I also like Fox.

5th and 10th pick for the first.

Four of the top 5 are likely to be Fox, Fulz, Ball and Jackson. So... what is the chance that someone grabs Tatum (I wouldn't)? If no one does, you are picking between Tatum, Smith and Isaac. I would do the deal ONLY if I felt I could land 2 of those 7 names. However, I think there is no shot. There is a significant drop in talent after 7 (conveniently just in time for the Knicks pick).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The disinformation machine is in full effect - now Ford saying Ainge will take Jackson and move Crowder or Brown.

Why do you need to disseminate disinformation when you own the top pick in the draft? The aforementioned 5 and 10 picks proposed trade would be unaffected by such a rumor as Jackson was never falling to 5. Further, to the extent that a rumor is meant to spur Philly to package #3... I don't think Jackson is the guy that would make them jump (as Guard is a much bigger need for them).

The rumor in now is the 3 and package including a future first for the 1. Sixers take Fultz, Celtics draft Jackson. Which is what they should do. Drafting Jackson 1 is dumb.

This is what I was thinking earlier if they wanted Jackson, I just assumed they'd be looking at Saric.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The rumor in now is the 3 and package including a future first for the 1. Sixers take Fultz, Celtics draft Jackson. Which is what they should do. Drafting Jackson 1 is dumb.

This is what I was thinking earlier if they wanted Jackson, I just assumed they'd be looking at Saric.

Latest rumor is the Cs are packing these picks up for Butler and then will sign Gordo or Blake.

IT, Hayward, Butler, Crowder, Horford or IT, Butler, Crowder, Griffin and Horford would be your options.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Latest rumor is the Cs are packing these picks up for Butler and then will sign Gordo or Blake.

IT, Hayward, Butler, Crowder, Horford or IT, Butler, Crowder, Griffin and Horford would be your options.

Meh.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Meh.

I'm not sure either of those lineups beat the Cavs
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The Cs don't have a glaring need that one of these players is going to fill. So, if you don't think any of these guys are the second-coming (i don't think your statement of Fulz's ceiling being Kyrie is terribly off), you trade down with Philly and choose between whichever 2 fall. If, however, you've identified one player you like better than the others, you don't get cute and just take him #1.

If Philly took Fulz and Lakers took Jackson... then what? Fox or Ball?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:51 am

Lakers are taking Ball. But if they take Jackson, the Cs would take Fox.

I still think the Celtics should take Fultz.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:00 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Lakers are taking Ball. But if they take Jackson, the Cs would take Fox.

I still think the Celtics should take Fultz.

Only way they should consider not taking Fultz is if they get both the lakers and kings picks. This is obviously assuming that they don't grade Jackson as a better pick than fultz

Looks like they got the 3rd and the lakers and Kings draft picks. Pretty good haul

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/17/bosto ... elle-fultz

Not sure about the Lakers pick, but the Kings pick has protections. This is a great deal if LA takes Ball. However, I'm not sure Magic Johnson owes anything to LaVar. Accordingly, I would take Jackson without a second thought. Hell... the fact that his longtime rival wouldn't take Ball if he was there may be reason enough for Magic not to take Ball.

To those who are in love with Fulz... how does a team with the #1 pick fail to make the NCAA tournament?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:24 pm

Lorenzo Romar is a bad coach?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:54 pm

U-Dub didn't just fail to make the tournament. They went a Jim Christian-esque 9-22 (2-16).

Some writers in Seattle have questioned Fultz's desire to win. In my opinion, that's a giant red flag.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum