Celtics fans playoff thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Celtics fans playoff thread

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:07 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd also suggest, again, that immediate impact for rookies is like real estate, location, location, location, with bad location being good in this instance. Durant's first Seattle team got out to a 3-15 start and finished 20-62, which netted them Russell Westbrook with the 4th pick. Of course, that team went 23-59, which netted them James Harden. Good thing they did not devalue all those top-5 draft picks, eh?

Just like the Grizzlies... who also chose to not devalue their Top 5 draft picks for those same drafts (Mike Conley (#4), OJ Mayo (#3) and Hasheem Thabeet (#2)).

Conley was pretty good pick there. That said, Ainge is closer to Sam Presti than he is to Chris Wallace
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'd also suggest, again, that immediate impact for rookies is like real estate, location, location, location, with bad location being good in this instance. Durant's first Seattle team got out to a 3-15 start and finished 20-62, which netted them Russell Westbrook with the 4th pick. Of course, that team went 23-59, which netted them James Harden. Good thing they did not devalue all those top-5 draft picks, eh?

Just like the Grizzlies... who also chose to not devalue their Top 5 draft picks for those same drafts (Mike Conley (#4), OJ Mayo (#3) and Hasheem Thabeet (#2)).

Conley was pretty good pick there. That said, Ainge is closer to Sam Presti than he is to Chris Wallace

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14692&p=394305&hilit=Ainge#p394305
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Can someone that understands the idiotic rules of the Not Basketball Association explain to me WTF Danny Ainge is doing? Is the goal to field 2 D-League teams this season, or is there some method to the madness of signing a 12th guy to play the guard/wing positions?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:56 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14692&p=394305&hilit=Ainge#p394305
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Can someone that understands the idiotic rules of the Not Basketball Association explain to me WTF Danny Ainge is doing? Is the goal to field 2 D-League teams this season, or is there some method to the madness of signing a 12th guy to play the guard/wing positions?

Oh, I definitely have my complaints about him, but Chris Wallace is turrible.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Phil Jackson is getting ripped by the NY press, but can you really blame him? A player blows off a meeting, shouldn't there be consequences? If a player is even late to a Patriots meeting Belichick won't even let him in the meeting. A coach has to exert some sort of discipline or else he isn't really a coach.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Trading a player isn't a consequence. A fine or suspension is a consequence. A trade is a roster move.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:27 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Phil Jackson is getting ripped by the NY press, but can you really blame him? A player blows off a meeting, shouldn't there be consequences? If a player is even late to a Patriots meeting Belichick won't even let him in the meeting. A coach has to exert some sort of discipline or else he isn't really a coach.

a player blew off a game this year and there were no consequences

edit: like tedwardo said, consequences meaning trade for blowing off an exit interview is absurd
Last edited by claver2010 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:29 pm

It's idiotic to trade a player because he blew off the meeting. And it looks like what he's trying to get is a shot at Josh Jackson in return, which is kind of absurd if true. Celtics should do that in a heartbeat . I suspect he'd need more picks though.

I could see Danny trying to send the #3 and a player to the Kings for #5 and #10 and then drafting Isaac and Smith
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:47 pm

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1970 ... -porzingis

Seems that this has picked up steam. Knicks asking for #3, Nets 2018, Brown AND Crowder. Cs countering with #3, Brown and #7 (which they would try to get through another trade possibly for Nets 2018... which essentially saves them from having to trade Crowder).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19709279/boston-celtics-new-york-knicks-discuss-trade-offers-kristaps-porzingis

Seems that this has picked up steam. Knicks asking for #3, Nets 2018, Brown AND Crowder. Cs countering with #3, Brown and #7 (which they would try to get through another trade possibly for Nets 2018... which essentially saves them from having to trade Crowder).

The Celtics did not propose either, those were alternative requests of the Knicks. The second offer was just the two picks, no Brown. Celtics have told the Knicks no on Brown so far.

The part where the title calls the various Knicks demands "ridiculous" belies the whole picking up steam theory.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'd take Porzingas for what he's worth, but it's neither of those deals.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:04 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19709279/boston-celtics-new-york-knicks-discuss-trade-offers-kristaps-porzingis

The Celtics did not propose either, those were alternative requests of the Knicks. The second offer was just the two picks, no Brown. Celtics have told the Knicks no on Brown so far.

The part where the title calls the various Knicks demands "ridiculous" belies the whole picking up steam theory.

This is how I read it too. I would be shocked if Ainge did such a "ridiculous" deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Ainge can get away with #3, Lal/Sac/76ers and Smart for KP, or something along those lines, which I would take.

I would do those two picks and either Smart or Crowder.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:05 pm

Heard Ainge rejected Jordan for the #3 - so far.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:22 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Heard Ainge rejected Jordan for the #3 - so far.

Good, I wouldn't do that deal either.

There is also a rumor out there that Ainge rejected the offer of Butler for the #3 straight up, which I don't believe for 1 second. That said, maybe the seemingly high interest from Ainge to do a deal and a lot of teams calling for the #3 will spur the Bulls into letting off Butler for "cheap". Maybe the #3, LAC or Mem pick and smart, or something along those lines.

I don't believe it either, but I would do the Jordan deal before the Butler deal. Butler is a bad fit with the Celtics, rather have a defender that is a spot up shooter like Crowder than a slasher like Butler, even though Butler is a better player.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:43 pm

I have no preference Jackson or Tatum. Tatum is less raw and a better scorer. Jackson is like Brown, all upside and tons of it. Either works.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:58 pm

Safe pick. Not much chance he's a bust but not as high ceiling
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:26 pm

We're up to pick 8. Were Olivier Hanlan and Ryan Anderson drafted yet. Surely they've gone by now
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Safe pick. Not much chance he's a bust but not as high ceiling

Agreed.

As one of the announcers said, "Celtics have a lot Good, but will they use the pick to get a Great." That's been my point with the Cs. Ainge still tries to make good trades and solid picks. But, I think that to really take the next step in the NBA, you have to overpay for a superstar. You have to make a trade that results in you trading talent and valuable players. Maybe Butler isn't that player, maybe it isn't Porzingas, maybe it isn't Jordan. But, at some point, I think they have to make a decision on who is worth going for.

BTW... how fucking funny that the Knicks passed on Smith and Monk for some Frenchie.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:54 pm

He's not afraid to do it. Did it 8 or whatever years ago. The issue is that neither Butler nor George gets you over the top. Might as well try to get someone in the draft instead of chasing second level superstars.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:02 pm

13 picks and not a single low-post player. What this likely means is that when we look back at the draft, we will be talking about some team getting a great big man late in the draft.

BTW... apparently Silver said that the current player development system is broken (which is what we've all known for a while). Looks like they will be trying to create a system where kids stay in college for 2 years or go to the D League. Don't think that will be the answer. But, they have to do something.

EDIT: Adebayo went 14th to Miami. I think he's going to be very good in the NBA.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:32 pm

The Paul George rumors are annoying.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Feel like the Kings had themselves a night
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Feel like the Kings had themselves a night

I like what the Kings did. Took the perfect player to build around (Fox), one of the more developed players in the entire draft (Jackson), a massive roll-the-dice/boom-bust player (Giles) and high character tough bench player (Martin). I also love the Butler trade for Minnesota (reunites with Thibs and brings legit star to that young roster). I think that Bam, Monk, Giles, Allen and Anunoby have the best shots to be that double-digit draft pick that years from now people wonder why he slipped (though that equally means any of them could be playing in Europe in 3 years). I do not get the Fin pick, the Knicks pick or the pick taking a Zag who never started a game.

As for the much talked about Cs pick, Tatum is the player who best fits their current team. I don't, however, think this was a situation where they tried to grab the next superstar. Listening to Jeff Goodman this morning, he said Tatum is the most ready to step right into the NBA of any prospect, is already better than Jaylen Brown but is redundant of Brown and makes him expendable. I agree with all of that except that I'd add that Brown has superior athleticism and a higher ceiling. I also don't know if the NBA cares about positions right now and feel that you go with a starting lineup of essentially 2 SGs and 3 SFs.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:30 am

I don't think Brown and Tatum are duplicative in today's NBA
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 am

Danny stated that he would have taken Tatum at #1, so his LA/Sacramento conditional pick is just gravy. LA got Ball, but he is not a scorer and there are really no
other scorers for him to dish off to. So I expect LA to struggle next season unless they can land some free agents. The pick could turn out to be very high.

Apparently, Ainge and Brad Stevens were on a flight to CA to see Jackson when he cancelled, so they made the trip for nothing. Add this to his trouble with
threatening and then trashing someone's car outside a bar and the guy just smells like trouble. Glad they passed on him.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:11 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Also, Lonzo's dad is soooo obnoxious

I'm seriously thinking about buying the purple and gold Big Ballers hat to troll people with all summer. It could be the best $60 I ever spend.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:46 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

I'm seriously thinking about buying the purple and gold Big Ballers hat to troll people with all summer. It could be the best $60 I ever spend.

Go for it. You could also get the $495 sneakers to go with it.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:56 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Go for it. You could also get the $495 sneakers to go with it.

Nah, spending $500 on sneakers would feel like a kick to the conceptual penis.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:14 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:... kick to the conceptual penis.

it's okay, you can call it "wife 'vagina'"
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:03 pm

George to the Thunder in exchange for Oladipo and Sabonis.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:06 pm

Ricky Rubio to the Jazz for a lottery protected 1st Rounder. Don't understand that from Wolves perspective. Rubio is only 26. Love the trade from Utah's side.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum