Celtics fans playoff thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Celtics fans playoff thread

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:42 am

Just dumping Rubio is a plus, guy sucks at basketball
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Safe pick. Not much chance he's a bust but not as high ceiling

Agreed.

As one of the announcers said, "Celtics have a lot Good, but will they use the pick to get a Great." That's been my point with the Cs. Ainge still tries to make good trades and solid picks. But, I think that to really take the next step in the NBA, you have to overpay for a superstar. You have to make a trade that results in you trading talent and valuable players. Maybe Butler isn't that player, maybe it isn't Porzingas, maybe it isn't Jordan. But, at some point, I think they have to make a decision on who is worth going for.

BTW... how fucking funny that the Knicks passed on Smith and Monk for some Frenchie.

They finally overpaid for a superstar. I think it is a no brainer for the team. Even though they essentially swapped assets to replace IT for KI. Kyrie is a young star. I think Thomas is a very good player but not at the same level.

So, this is the team going forward. Kyrie-Smart-Brown-Tatum-Hayward-Horford. That's an excellent lineup. Definitely Top 2 in the East. But probably not higher than 6 in the NBA.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:19 am

IT is 4 years older, believe it or not a worse defender, up for a new contract next season and very injured.

The draft pick is what it is, but the Laker pick probably replaces it. Wash there.

Moving Crowder's contract sucks because it is a huge asset, but as far as the player is concerned, he is very good but blocking two more talented young guys.

I don't know anything about Zizic and they certainly sold him hard, but he looked like dog shit in the summer league. Hurts them in that they need a big, but who knows if he is it.

From a Celtics perspective, they have upgraded one of their stars for a longer period, which is a big plus in the NBA. They essentially traded two strong assets to do so - Crowder's contract and the Brooklyn pick. It's a good deal on both sides, but the Celtics are better today.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:57 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:IT is 4 years older, believe it or not a worse defender, up for a new contract next season and very injured.

The draft pick is what it is, but the Laker pick probably replaces it. Wash there.

Moving Crowder's contract sucks because it is a huge asset, but as far as the player is concerned, he is very good but blocking two more talented young guys.

I don't know anything about Zizic and they certainly sold him hard, but he looked like dog shit in the summer league. Hurts them in that they need a big, but who knows if he is it.

From a Celtics perspective, they have upgraded one of their stars for a longer period, which is a big plus in the NBA. They essentially traded two strong assets to do so - Crowder's contract and the Brooklyn pick. It's a good deal on both sides, but the Celtics are better today.

Agreed on all parts.

However, they have now removed 11 players from last year's 53-win team. While I think they are better, I don't think they are monumentally so. Further, this means that... going forward... if they want another star to pair with Irving, they will have to surrender current players (and not the promise of a future player). As for the Laker pick... it's not necessarily a "wash". The Laker pick is highly conditioned (if it is #1 or #6 (or worse) it goes to the Sixers... only if it falls #2-5 does it go to Cs). There is a higher likelihood that the pick converts to a #1-protected 2019 selection of the Kings/Sixers (whichever is better).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:IT is 4 years older, believe it or not a worse defender, up for a new contract next season and very injured.

Agreed on all parts.

However, they have now removed 11 players from last year's 53-win team. While I think they are better, I don't think they are monumentally so. Further, this means that... going forward... if they want another star to pair with Irving, they will have to surrender current players (and not the promise of a future player). As for the Laker pick... it's not necessarily a "wash". The Laker pick is highly conditioned (if it is #1 or #6 (or worse) it goes to the Sixers... only if it falls #2-5 does it go to Cs). There is a higher likelihood that the pick converts to a #1-protected 2019 selection of the Kings/Sixers (whichever is better).

The Celtics are marginally better if there is no leap from the 3 guys on the team that are 23, 20 and 19. If one of them develops into a superstar over the next few years, look out. If they remain just contributors, then yes, the ceiling is Eastern Conference contenders.

And I think it is very likely that the Laker pick is 2-5. Also, that the Nets pick is worse.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:15 am

Looking at a two deep of:

Irving/Larkin
Smart/Rozier
Hayward/Brown
Morris/Tatum
Horford/Baynes

with the bench probably filled out with Yabusele and Theis and Nader, Ojeleye and Bird or Allen stashed in the D League.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Looking at a two deep of:

Irving/Larkin
Smart/Rozier
Hayward/Brown
Morris/Tatum
Horford/Baynes

with the bench probably filled out with Yabusele and Theis and Nader, Ojeleye and Bird or Allen stashed in the D League.

Probably the best NBA team 4-7.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:02 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Looking at a two deep of:

Irving/Larkin
Smart/Rozier
Hayward/Brown
Morris/Tatum
Horford/Baynes

Probably the best NBA team 4-7.

I'd agree with that. They are only a championship team if one of those 4-6 guys (Smart, Brown, Tatum) turns into a superstar (top 10-12 player) and Horford becomes the 4th guy.

It's also a ridiculously young team. Only Horford and Baynes have reached 30 - Horford is 31. Everyone else on the team is under 27 (Morris and Hayward) and after those 4 and Irving and Theis (25) no one is over 23.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Gordon Heyward experiment sure was fun.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Gordon Heyward experiment sure was fun.

Keep it classy there chief
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:48 am

They actually outplayed the Cavs without him most of the second half.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:35 pm

I’ll say it. I am happy that Gordon Hayward is almost certainly done with his NBA career and that the Celtics will be sucking on that salary hard for the next several years. The funny thing is that I don’t care at all about the NBA, haven’t watched a game in its entirety since the 90s and haven’t attended a game in person in eight or nine years despite the fact that I am offered gratis luxury box and court side tickets at Verizon Center/Whatever they are calling it this year at least 25 times a year (meaning I have passed up about 200 opportunities in that period—which doesn’t count the handful of similar offers for Knicks, Warriors, Bucks and Spurs that have also been offered). With all of that said, I like it when Nemesis visits Hubris with a vengeance—and since Hayward did pretty much everything he could to fuck over the most innocuous and least offensive fans in any major sport, and then shit all over them upon joining the Celts, he clearly had this coming and the fact that it happened in his first game shows that sometimes Nemesis is in a hurry. As for the Celtics, they’ll be fine other than having that albatross of empty money weighing their cap space. Stephens is a great coach and they loaded up on enough draft talent, they won’t drop off too much, although I think it dooms whatever slim chance they had of beating Cleveland in a seven game series.

Was also giddy to hear Draymond is a bit gimpy. Hope it turns into something chronic and awful and if the team plane went down in flames that would be cool as well. In this instance, it’s not because I care about whether the Warriors win or not, but rather because I fervently dislike the collection of Bay Area douchenozzles who comprise the Warriors fan base and I hate Steve Kerr for personal reasons. Fuck him for not having the guts to tell it like it is with respect to the jihadist culture that has destroyed the Middle East and killed his Dad.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:31 pm

I'm not an NBA fan, but I'd be surprised if this were career ending.

“It’s about a 4-6 month recovery. The ligaments take 6-8 weeks and the tibia was about three months to heal in all the places it broke,” Randolph told ESPN’s Jeff Goodman. “Ironically, I had the same injury and as bad as it looks it does heal back to 100 percent and does so surprisingly fast.”

“I think there’s a chance he could be back this season if he really pushed it. The team will be cautious to bring him back too fast, but I think he could by the end of the season. Maybe not back to full 100 percent by then, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he can and does play.”

https://clutchpoints.com/celtics-news-f ... is-season/
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 am

Well, that was fun.

Draymond Green is terrible. Poor man's Antoine Walker playing with two hall of famers and a super star.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:18 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Well, that was fun.

Draymond Green is terrible. Poor man's Antoine Walker playing with two hall of famers and a super star.

I was thinking poor man's Chris Webber.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:45 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Well, that was fun.

I was thinking poor man's Chris Webber.

Antoine Walker was a poor man's Chris Webber.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:53 pm

I am no NBA junkie, but I did watch the game last night and some of the game against the Nets and all I can say is that the Celtics fans chanting "M-V-P" at Irving are mouth breathers. He can't finish like IT, and I don't even think he's the most valuable player on the team. I might go with Horford or Brown over him. And I believe that big run last night was mostly without Irving.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:03 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I am no NBA junkie, but I did watch the game last night and some of the game against the Nets and all I can say is that the Celtics fans chanting "M-V-P" at Irving are mouth breathers. He can't finish like IT, and I don't even think he's the most valuable player on the team. I might go with Horford or Brown over him. And I believe that big run last night was mostly without Irving.

Jesus.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I am no NBA junkie, but I did watch the game last night and some of the game against the Nets and all I can say is that the Celtics fans chanting "M-V-P" at Irving are mouth breathers. He can't finish like IT, and I don't even think he's the most valuable player on the team. I might go with Horford or Brown over him. And I believe that big run last night was mostly without Irving.

Jesus.

Let me correct that statement. I would also take Darius Wade over Irving because Darius looks great in the spring. Just in time for the NBA playoffs.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:41 pm

the above made me chuckle, there i said it

i'm far from an nba savant (though i did watch part of multiple nba games in a non playoff week for the first time in decades), but in the games i've seen over the years he's one of the best guards i've seen finishing at the basket
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:56 pm

You should probably stop watching basketball
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Ok bro
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:13 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Ok bro

It’s fine basketball isn’t for everyone.

I saw curling was on tonight give that a try.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:15 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Ok bro

Not an argument.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:30 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Ok bro

Not an argument.

Field Hockey?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Ok bro

Not an argument.

Field Hockey?

Do you think Kyrie Irving should win MVP of the NBA?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Primetime on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:19 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Ok bro

Not an argument.

Field Hockey?

You mean "mouth breathing" fans aren't allowed to chant "M-V-P" for the best player on their team?

Since you're "no NBA junkie," and I am, I'll enlighten you: Paul Pierce never won an MVP - and Garden fans ALWAYS chanted "M-V-P" for him.

That being said, if the Celtics finish the regular season with the best record, Kyrie absolutely has a shot.

I'm actually curious what you mean by "Kyrie can't finish like IT" - Kyrie gets into the paint and to the rim like few others. Any guesses at who the most-blocked player in the league was last year?

http://stats.nba.com/players/misc/?sort ... ode=Totals
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:28 am

Primetime {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Ok bro

Not an argument.

Field Hockey?

You mean "mouth breathing" fans aren't allowed to chant "M-V-P" for the best player on their team?

Since you're "no NBA junkie," and I am, I'll enlighten you: Paul Pierce never won an MVP - and Garden fans ALWAYS chanted "M-V-P" for him.

That being said, if the Celtics finish the regular season with the best record, Kyrie absolutely has a shot.

I'm actually curious what you mean by "Kyrie can't finish like IT" - Kyrie gets into the paint and to the rim like few others. Any guesses at who the most-blocked player in the league was last year?

I’m aware of the Paul Pierce chants. At least he’d been there for years so you could understand it was more about hometown love than basketball IQ. I just thought it was lame to chant it on Thursday when Irving was 4-16, 1-5 from 3 (since you like stats) and he just didn’t play that well. Couple that with the fact Golden State’s lead evaporated when Irving was on the bench makes the chant seem kinda stupid.

In terms of finishing, Kyrie is a bit slower and more deliberate with his moves than IT. Your stat about blocks is not that relevant. I would say 2 point FG% is a more meaningful stat and IT was .528 and Irving was .505. And that was with a less talented supporting cast.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Primetime on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:25 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Ok bro

Not an argument.

Field Hockey?

I’m aware of the Paul Pierce chants. At least he’d been there for years so you could understand it was more about hometown love than basketball IQ. I just thought it was lame to chant it on Thursday when Irving was 4-16, 1-5 from 3 (since you like stats) and he just didn’t play that well. Couple that with the fact Golden State’s lead evaporated when Irving was on the bench makes the chant seem kinda stupid.

In terms of finishing, Kyrie is a bit slower and more deliberate with his moves than IT. Your stat about blocks is not that relevant. I would say 2 point FG% is a more meaningful stat and IT was .528 and Irving was .505. And that was with a less talented supporting cast.

My point was that it IS about hometown love, and nothing more. In my opinion, Kyrie and IT are second-tier superstars. Not that they "couldn't" win an MVP award in a particular year (like with the Celtics this year), but, if you had the opportunity to trade either one for say, LeBron or Westbrook, you would make the trade immediately.

Interesting stat on 2PT FG%. But I felt like IT would get into the paint, throw up a prayer, and draw a foul. Kyrie slithers his way to the basket and seems to finish better...just my opinion.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:35 am

Let's see how good IT is not playing for Brad Stevens.

IT really isn't good enough to make this an argument. We all miss him though. Feel like most of the mouth breathing comes from typical Boston fans that get emotional when they let Jacoby ellsbury go to the Yankees.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum