Wake Forest Game Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Wake Forest Game Thread

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Me two weeks ago: Fire this asshole!
Me two days ago: Give this man an extension!
Me in the first half: This guy is dean smith reincarnated!
Me in the second half: RAZE CONTE FORUM TO THE GROUND AND SKIN JIM CHRISTIAN ALIVE!
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:42 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:3 for 14 from 3 and up on the road, they'll start falling

nevermind
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:42 pm

It's really about depth. It was pretty clear they were getting worn down and started exhausted. My only complaint is having 4 good players after 3 years. Those 4 are good thought, real good.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:How could they know Eli Carter was a selfish ball hog? Is not like there was any tape on him.

Eli Carter had three years of tape. Ty Graves has an abusive father. Nice parallel though.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:43 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:How could they know Eli Carter was a selfish ball hog? Is not like there was any tape on him.

Eli Carter had three years of tape. Ty Graves has an abusive father. Nice parallel though.

Monteverde.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Missed a lot of open looks. Score looks worse than the game was played. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Monteverde.

Having a 6'10 power forward take the starting point guard job is also called an aberration
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:48 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Monteverde.

Having a 6'10 power forward take the starting point guard job is also called an aberration

Awesome. They still knew the kid was a fruitcake.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:50 pm

By the way this was a well coached game. Just don't have the horses to play 40 on a days rest.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Monteverde.

That's not really the way it works for having an abusive parent make all your decisions. I typically agree with you, but you're off here. He was signed well before Ben Simmons was discovered to be an alien being from a giant basketball in the asteroid belt, what are we supposed to revoke his scholarship because his dad is a dick?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:52 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Wait, what? When he go from stupid/bad father to abusive?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:By the way this was a well coached game. Just don't have the horses to play 40 on a days rest.

This is a great example of me typically agreeing with you
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:52 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Monteverde.

That's not really the way it works for having an abusive parent make all your decisions. I typically agree with you, but you're off here. He was signed well before Ben Simmons was discovered to be an alien being from a giant basketball in the asteroid belt, what are we supposed to revoke his scholarship because his dad is a dick?

It is what it is. Could use the kid right now so whatever the excuse, it's not good enough.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:53 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:By the way this was a well coached game. Just don't have the horses to play 40 on a days rest.

That's their fault though.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

For their frontcourt, sure
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:01 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

And PG.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

And PG.

We'll just have to agree to disagree and appreciate the fact that there are approximately zero white people in Wake Forest's giant dancing band
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:17 pm

Graves transferring is more a reflection on him than the coaches. I wrote it literally the day Bowman committed, they couldn't play together so one of them was going to leave. Graves (or his dad) is dumb for leaving mid-year instead of playing out the season, but how can you plan for a guy who makes an irrational decision?

The only thing that occurs to me, is do we now regret running Hicks off the team? If he was being a knucklehead, fine, but if it was to free up the scholarship, it looks bad now. Hicks was no superstar but he suffered through a lot here. The idea according to LDE was to have an open scholarship in case a transfer became available.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Graves transferring is more a reflection on him than the coaches. I wrote it literally the day Bowman committed, they couldn't play together so one of them was going to leave. Graves (or his dad) is dumb for leaving mid-year instead of playing out the season, but how can you plan for a guy who makes an irrational decision?

The only thing that occurs to me, is do we now regret running Hicks off the team? If he was being a knucklehead, fine, but if it was to free up the scholarship, it looks bad now. Hicks was no superstar but he suffered through a lot here. The idea according to LDE was to have an open scholarship in case a transfer became available.

Fucks sake recruit a gd backup then. I agree graves is a toolbag. Having that crush your team is the problem. How can an acc team have zero depth and available scholarships.

Jeffers and Tava Chatman are nice if you have 6 legit players in front of them. BC doesn't. Wasted scholarships get kids on campus and in your system. Some fail, you have others instead of 5th years.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ckoub01 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:41 pm

I'm just thankful we won Sunday - that would have been a brutal loss to a very beatable team. The silver linings were Robinson getting his 20 despite having an off night and Reyes holding up in an ACC game.

I loved how the ACC Network announcers felt that Mo Jeffers early 4th foul causes BC to fall into a tailspin. Between that and their obsession with the big euro on Wake, it was an F performance by the crew.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:10 pm

1. The ACC did BC no favors playing on less than 48 hours rest on the road
2. BC only goes 7 deep. This makes the above point problematic

This is going to take another class or two to fix. There is 1 real senior on this team and he is not particularly useful unless the high jump or triple jump become part of a basketball game. Simply having 4 actual recruiting classes will help.

If you watched Darryl Hicks post-injury and think he would help this team I don't know what to tell you.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Graves transferring is more a reflection on him than the coaches. I wrote it literally the day Bowman committed, they couldn't play together so one of them was going to leave. Graves (or his dad) is dumb for leaving mid-year instead of playing out the season, but how can you plan for a guy who makes an irrational decision?

Fucks sake recruit a gd backup then. I agree graves is a toolbag. Having that crush your team is the problem. How can an acc team have zero depth and available scholarships.

Jeffers and Tava Chatman are nice if you have 6 legit players in front of them. BC doesn't. Wasted scholarships get kids on campus and in your system. Some fail, you have others instead of 5th years.

You have 0 depth when you take over a situation as bad as was left behind by Beeker.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:14 pm

His name should be banned from this board. As someone who literally attended all but 1 home game last year he was even worse in person than on TV
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Primetime on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:49 am

A couple observations from last night:

1. As Doc Rivers has said, "it's a make/miss league." When you shoot 36% from the field and 5/30 from 3, you're not going to win much. A lot of those were open looks, and missing short often means they were probably tired as a team. As mentioned above, the ACC did them no favors with the turnaround on this trip.

2. As noted above, depth is an issue. The first half was fine, and then the wheels came off when guys got tired/in foul trouble. Bowman may have been tired, but a backup PG wasn't the problem - it's the frontcourt depth. The WF front line of Arians (12), Collins (17), and Mitoglou (15) just ate them up. With Jeffers in foul trouble (8 minutes) and Reyes inexperienced (5 minutes), you just can't take Popovic out. They had Tava playing the 5 with Bowman/Robinson/Chatman/Turner, and frankly he has a tough time defending the 4 at 6'6". Mitoglou faced him up and shot right over him easily on a couple of occasions.

The "team" play is much better than last year though - some cuts led to easy baskets in the first half, and if they hit a couple open shots, they're up 10 early and the game plays out differently. Tough night, and they won't all end like this, but unfortunately this is life in the ACC.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:56 am

Primetime {l Wrote}:A couple observations from last night:

1. As Doc Rivers has said, "it's a make/miss league." When you shoot 36% from the field and 5/30 from 3, you're not going to win much. A lot of those were open looks, and missing short often means they were probably tired as a team. As mentioned above, the ACC did them no favors with the turnaround on this trip.

2. As noted above, depth is an issue. The first half was fine, and then the wheels came off when guys got tired/in foul trouble. Bowman may have been tired, but a backup PG wasn't the problem - it's the frontcourt depth. The WF front line of Arians (12), Collins (17), and Mitoglou (15) just ate them up. With Jeffers in foul trouble (8 minutes) and Reyes inexperienced (5 minutes), you just can't take Popovic out. They had Tava playing the 5 with Bowman/Robinson/Chatman/Turner, and frankly he has a tough time defending the 4 at 6'6". Mitoglou faced him up and shot right over him easily on a couple of occasions.

The "team" play is much better than last year though - some cuts led to easy baskets in the first half, and if they hit a couple open shots, they're up 10 early and the game plays out differently. Tough night, and they won't all end like this, but unfortunately this is life in the ACC.

I'm fine with Popovic and Reyes (who people need to remember is really a freshman still because redshirted last year) at center, but dear God please find a PF. The Euro kid will be good but is going to get mauled his freshman year in the ACC at 180 lbs or whatever and Sagay isn't tall or wide enough to play the 4.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:01 pm

I also think ignoring the backup PG problem is a bit much, too. Yes they got worn down in the frontcourt, as they will in almost every game. If your backcourt is not dog tired and can shoot straight and get to the rack, they can make up for that, and could have done so last night.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Why do you all have a problem understanding what Teddy is saying? His point is pretty clear and he is right by the way. After 3+ years, you really shouldn't be in this lack of depth position. Oh and don't try to tell me the coaching staff didn't know what they were getting with Graves' father. I am quite certain a guy like that would have been very much involved in the recruiting process.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:39 pm

graves went to 3 high schools. anyone that didn't approach that as a vicarious dad is dumber than nospace

and i don't even like sports
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:44 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:graves went to 3 high schools.

and one of them was on tobacco road. red flag.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:02 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:graves went to 3 high schools.

and one of them was on tobacco road. red flag.

two of them, actually. high point christian and page (greensboro)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum