Providence game thread AKA the Roonie Invitational

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Providence game thread AKA the Roonie Invitational

Postby Onyx Blackman on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:42 pm

I Costco'd this one and I'm having trouble making sense of the box score. A 25-2 run followed by a 14-0 run in 1:19? Was this a real life game?
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:50 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:This team has potential. Season is an absolute roller coaster. Providence is a decent team. Bowman and Robinson together are great. Maybe the best tandem we've had in the last several years. Fwiw I believe there is more talent on this team then any of Donahue's teams.

Tava is really hurting us and going to be overmatched every single game the rest of the season. Add a good forward to Bowman, Robinson, Turner, and Popovic and we have the potential to be a very good team in the future.

I agree with this. PC has largely beaten nobody outside of Rhody, but this was still a good win. I thought Holt was gonna abuse Tava/Jeffers, butt holding him to 16 was a win in my book (he was at Indiana prior to running a teammate over with his car i think).

Robinson/Ky are legit ACC guards and I really think Popovic can turn into a nice player, he has a frame to pack weight on to. Hoff/anyone do you have names of what recruits were in crowd today ??
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:02 pm

It is entirely possible that the best thing that happened to Bowman is Graves leaving. Since then, he has stepped up his game considerably.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:21 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:I Costco'd this one and I'm having trouble making sense of the box score. A 25-2 run followed by a 14-0 run in 1:19? Was this a real life game?

PC pressed and hacked the shit out of BC for about 2 minutes with no foul calls.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:26 pm

Great win.

This team still can't break a press.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Mitch on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:59 pm

Just two days after helping Fairfield look like the Harlem Globetrotters, BC showed up big-time versus Providence. It was a totally different effort on defense---this time around Coach Christian mixed in some zone and the man to man defense put solid pressure on the ball and didn't get caught over-hedging on picks and not being able to recover on rolls.

The rebounding was improved, like it was versus Auburn---

Robinson got off to another slow start offensively, but when Bowman got in foul trouble he took over the point and proceeded to drive the lane and dish to Popovic three times in a span of two minutes---but this game Robinson did not pout, he kept his head up and caught fire in the second half---

As did Bowman who scored all 16 of his points in the second half (his strength driving to the basket is what this program has been needing for years)---

Chatman had his best game, as did Jeffers, who played within himself on both ends of the floor---giving a leather sandwich back to Holt and getting free on pick and rolls for a few bunnies inside---

Tava was a turnover waiting to happen, throwing careless, ill-advised passes in toward the post from poor angles and distances and then throwing up bricks inside before eating a leather sandwich on a slow and poor post move---

Popovic needs to play more---he and Jeffers should start at the #4 and #5 respectively---

The shaky free throw shooting remains an issue---

As for the meltdown versus the PC press---(1) it is difficult to assimilate that kind of pressure and athleticism in practice because of BC's lack of depth; (2) been saying this ever since Christian arrived and saw repeatedly that his teams turn the ball over versus the press, at times not even being able to get the ball inbounbds---and Malcolm Huckaby mentioned it as well---to back off an overly aggressive press, they have to set back screens on the guards on the inbounds and run them deep to threaten the press deep, otherwise they are playing right into opponent's hands; it becomes an easy inbounds to the screener (one of the bigs) and then they can pass over the traps because they don't come as quickly or hard.

Hopefully they will be better prepared to attack a zone defense---it took them more than a half to start attacking Hartford's zone with some success---so versus Syracuse they need to get the ball to the high post early and often.
Mitch
n00b

Postby Onyx Blackman on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:I Costco'd this one and I'm having trouble making sense of the box score. A 25-2 run followed by a 14-0 run in 1:19? Was this a real life game?

PC pressed and hacked the shit out of BC for about 2 minutes with no foul calls.

Why did Cooley wait until they were 20 down to release the snakes?
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:42 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Why did Cooley wait until they were 20 down to release the snakes?

Yes. BC was sloppy but PC was fouling like crazy with no calls.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:42 pm

Syracuse, as bad as they are right now, is a dreadful matchup for BC if anyone is looking ahead.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:40 am

i know cooley has been in the tournament 3 out of his 5 years at PC and may do it again this year but he is an atrocious in game coach

0-3 against the ghosts of conte

full disclosure i'm nospacing this
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:54 am

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:Sagay would be getting between 5 - 10 minutes. He was getting better and JC was getting more comfortable with him. If he was equal to Owens, Sagay would get the minutes because of his great potential. Kraljevic is a 4 and is playing very well.

can he take a RS for sickness? wouldn't be the worst thing in the world
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy