Hartford Game Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Hartford Game Thread

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:15 pm

Remind me, is this when JC packs his bags and retreats to the MAC or is that still a ways away??
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flakes on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:38 pm

I haven't watched them play in two years, but I don't understand, don't we have at least a few solid 2 and 3 star guys? How are we losing to teams like Hartford? HAS TO BE coaching, no? Even in those really lean years at the beginning and end of Skinner's tenure, we'd NEVER lose to these shitty teams. Is the roster really that pathetic?
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:51 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Bender {l Wrote}:This is not the best talent in 7-8 years, but these last two classes have been solid, solid enough to not lose to low D1 teams. I think it's perfectly fair for a BC fan to refuse to spend any money on BC athletics until the whole athletics department is overhauled. The decline in the Football, Basketball and Women's basketball programs in the last ten years is comical. It's almost as if they wanted athletics to fail as part of some conspiracy to eliminate athletics at BC altogether. It's all so depressing.

Are you kidding ? Donahue didn't bring 1 person with legitimate D1 interest (not to mention offers - ironically the one guy I think he had committed who has turned out to be moderately successful is the kid playing @ ND this year). Name a year under Donahue or JC that have had more talent and depth than this year. To Christian & staffs credit, theyve recruited reasonably well all things considered (lack of recent success/facilities) and have drastically upped athleticism. I think Epstein said it, but it was beyond stupid to not bring in a PG last year and have to rely on 2 TFR this year and the staff has whiffed 2 years in a row on getting a 4 man with whom they faced little competition for in revruiting. Although he won't use the youth excuse, JC could legitimately make a case with 2 inexperienced PGs on the roster.

Like Addazio, when JC (and Addazio) are fired, assuming a relatively competent individual is brought in, you will probably see a fairly competitive product assuming limited attrition.

The complete lack of leadership, especially from Robinson and Turner are the problem. Robinson in particular is a joke out there. The next time he encourages a teammmate will be the first.

Robinson especially. Especially after seeing his demeanor in the 1st Barclays game. Kid is easily frustrated, even lashed out at Coach Heath.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Mitch on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:04 pm

Unfortunately, Dunne's remarks about BC not acting like they wanted to be there were spot-on. Once BC jumped out to a 14-4 early lead, the wheels slowed considerably. And Hartford's energy and confidence grew increasingly as the first half progressed. BC did make a stronger effort in the second half, but once again they were out-coached following late game timeouts---something that has been an continuing pattern with Coach Christian---like the wide open layup they gave up at NC State last year off a simple inbounds play.

That said---here are some of my own assessments---maybe some will match with yours, but maybe not.

1-Graves: got the start and looked very much in control early on, handling the ball well and splashing a three. Later on in the first half, sensing the need for others to score, seeing as Robinson was not scoring, he started looking for his shot more---which I was happy to see. Problem is he missed a couple threes early in the shot clock---and he, like many others on this team, was not making good plays on the fast break. In defensive transition he was actually quite good---he even got a nice clean block on Hartford's point guard who was driving for a layup. It was good to see Graves become a little more aggressive on offense and I hope that this game will not discourage him. He now has to create more off the dribble---Christian's offense has inordinate amount of sideways dribbling---it's time to turn dribbles toward the basket.

2-Robinson: it is very clear that when he doesn't score, it will be tough for BC to win. At least for now. What was troubling about his performance is how out of it he looked---he usually gets himself back up emotionally. Moreover, when your top scorer isn't hitting from the field or in rhythm, the rule of thumb is to take it strong to the goal and at least get to the free throw line to find that rhythm. Foul trouble ensued and I thought Christian waited far too long to bring him back in. To his credit, in a tie game and under 20 seconds left, he split the defense and made a sweet runner on what very could have been the winning FG...for his 4th point of the night. However, as we know, it did not hold up. One strong positive from this game was Robinson's play as the point guard to start the second half and then later in the game. It gives Christian a good option when the freshmen PGs are a little frenzied or out of sync.

3-Turner: this was one of Turner's better games---he was very aggressive on both ends---and he was doing his best, scoring and defense-wise to keep BC in the game. His 3 point shot looks much improved this year---and he hit a floater on the baseline---and should have gotten a foul called on one very good drive to the hoop. It's encouraging to see him developing.

4-Tava: this may have been his best game----on defense he is excellent at hedging on screens and doesn't foul 30 feet from the basket the way BC bigs have under Christian thus far. His help defense is solid too and he has been taking the charge when he can. On offense, he is starting to get his basketball legs and he is starting to pound the offensive glass (although i wish BC players would be coached to hit the backside of the glass when shots go up---still not sure if and how Christian teaches offensive rebounding). He is also showing a very good ability to pass from the high and medium post. Plus, he looks stronger on his shots and at the FT line (although he missed his 1 and 1 late in the game). One of my issues with Tava is that when he or someone scores on a good play, he looks like he wants no part of a teammate coming over to high five him---it reminds me so much of Carter last year---it was like Carter wasn't going to give the underclassmen any acknowledgement---and maybe that's the way it is for some 5th year guys. But, this team needs to play emotionally to win and it would be great of Tava could psyche his teammates up rather than repeatedly walk away from them.

5-Jeffers: He played a much better game down the stretch than he did versus Harvard. He was pounding the glass on both ends. But, he simply is not a scorer in the low post or off a pick and roll...he lacks those type of scoring skills. His inside defense is ok---not great---Tava's is better. jeffers has struggled some from the FT line---and unfortunately he missed his and team's first 1 & 1 late in the game in a key spot---it hit the back of the rim and came out long, but for some reason Christian put no rebounder in the lane to that side. Very odd in that situation.

1-Bowman: played a little out of control in the first half---got called for a charge on what looked to be a very good one on one opportunity on a fast break. Got beat on a couple of screens which led to easy baskets. On the ball he pressures well---it's off the ball where he gets caught out of position. Then, he helped trigger a good run in the second half---made a three pointer and showed very good ball pressure on double teams. I think this team needs his energy---I think he'd be better playing more minutes at the 2 guard for now than at the point. But he needs to play more.

2-Chapman: he had a solid game. Made a big three pointer to give BC its first lead and made some nice passes, but missed a key open shot late and he, like Bowman struggles away from the ball on defense. He took the ball strong to the hole when he got the flagrant call and calmly made both FTs. He's a solid addition.

3-Owens: he really helped turn the game around by making shots from the high post versus their zone.

4-Popovich: came right in and got fouled on a post move. Not sure why he only played 8 minutes because he looked good and the team needed some scoring from the bench.

5-Reyes: I think he might be a better fit for this team for more minutes than Jeffers. Unlike Jeffers Reyes is smooth around the basket and he has good hops on shot blocks. He and Graves had the two best swats of the night.

Was Sagay injured? if not, it is inexcusable not to play him. Yes, he's learning but he adds an athleticism, especially in transition that BC needs more of.

End of game situation (a little over 10 second left BC up 64-62)---Hartford has a side OB---and is coming off a timeout. BC has 2 fouls to give. The conventional thinking is---make sure you foul the PG on his dribble (try to strip him---you might get away with it) and 100% make sure you blanket Dunne and deny him the ball. Those are the 2 players who have hurt BC the whole game. BC almost gets a 5 second call off the inbounds, and then the PG starts to dribble---no foul---still no foul from help along the baseline---the PG kicks it out to the corner and the corner forward passes it quickly to Dunne standing all alone (that's right---all alone) on the wing and, of course, just as he did to end the first half, he bangs it. 2.4 seconds left and BC's hail mary misses.

BC, under Christian, seems to let some player go for a career high---and does practically nothing to tilt the defense toward that player. Few other teams in the country, no matter what division, would have let Dunne take that game-winner, let alone let him take it uncontested. It's like the BC coaching staff and players aren't paying attention to the game. Very frustrating, especially in winnable, close games.
Mitch
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:24 pm

I think Jeffers has turned out to be EXACTLY what we all thought going in, limited offensively but a big body to grab boards and not allow free buckets on D (to opposing bigs). He gets a lot of good looks, just makes none, but overall, I think we all knew what we were getting
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:47 pm

Mitch {l Wrote}:Unfortunately, Dunne's remarks about BC not acting like they wanted to be there were spot-on. Once BC jumped out to a 14-4 early lead, the wheels slowed considerably. And Hartford's energy and confidence grew increasingly as the first half progressed. BC did make a stronger effort in the second half, but once again they were out-coached following late game timeouts---something that has been an continuing pattern with Coach Christian---like the wide open layup they gave up at NC State last year off a simple inbounds play.

That said---here are some of my own assessments---maybe some will match with yours, but maybe not.

1-Graves: got the start and looked very much in control early on, handling the ball well and splashing a three. Later on in the first half, sensing the need for others to score, seeing as Robinson was not scoring, he started looking for his shot more---which I was happy to see. Problem is he missed a couple threes early in the shot clock---and he, like many others on this team, was not making good plays on the fast break. In defensive transition he was actually quite good---he even got a nice clean block on Hartford's point guard who was driving for a layup. It was good to see Graves become a little more aggressive on offense and I hope that this game will not discourage him. He now has to create more off the dribble---Christian's offense has inordinate amount of sideways dribbling---it's time to turn dribbles toward the basket.

2-Robinson: it is very clear that when he doesn't score, it will be tough for BC to win. At least for now. What was troubling about his performance is how out of it he looked---he usually gets himself back up emotionally. Moreover, when your top scorer isn't hitting from the field or in rhythm, the rule of thumb is to take it strong to the goal and at least get to the free throw line to find that rhythm. Foul trouble ensued and I thought Christian waited far too long to bring him back in. To his credit, in a tie game and under 20 seconds left, he split the defense and made a sweet runner on what very could have been the winning FG...for his 4th point of the night. However, as we know, it did not hold up. One strong positive from this game was Robinson's play as the point guard to start the second half and then later in the game. It gives Christian a good option when the freshmen PGs are a little frenzied or out of sync.

3-Turner: this was one of Turner's better games---he was very aggressive on both ends---and he was doing his best, scoring and defense-wise to keep BC in the game. His 3 point shot looks much improved this year---and he hit a floater on the baseline---and should have gotten a foul called on one very good drive to the hoop. It's encouraging to see him developing.

4-Tava: this may have been his best game----on defense he is excellent at hedging on screens and doesn't foul 30 feet from the basket the way BC bigs have under Christian thus far. His help defense is solid too and he has been taking the charge when he can. On offense, he is starting to get his basketball legs and he is starting to pound the offensive glass (although i wish BC players would be coached to hit the backside of the glass when shots go up---still not sure if and how Christian teaches offensive rebounding). He is also showing a very good ability to pass from the high and medium post. Plus, he looks stronger on his shots and at the FT line (although he missed his 1 and 1 late in the game). One of my issues with Tava is that when he or someone scores on a good play, he looks like he wants no part of a teammate coming over to high five him---it reminds me so much of Carter last year---it was like Carter wasn't going to give the underclassmen any acknowledgement---and maybe that's the way it is for some 5th year guys. But, this team needs to play emotionally to win and it would be great of Tava could psyche his teammates up rather than repeatedly walk away from them.

5-Jeffers: He played a much better game down the stretch than he did versus Harvard. He was pounding the glass on both ends. But, he simply is not a scorer in the low post or off a pick and roll...he lacks those type of scoring skills. His inside defense is ok---not great---Tava's is better. jeffers has struggled some from the FT line---and unfortunately he missed his and team's first 1 & 1 late in the game in a key spot---it hit the back of the rim and came out long, but for some reason Christian put no rebounder in the lane to that side. Very odd in that situation.

1-Bowman: played a little out of control in the first half---got called for a charge on what looked to be a very good one on one opportunity on a fast break. Got beat on a couple of screens which led to easy baskets. On the ball he pressures well---it's off the ball where he gets caught out of position. Then, he helped trigger a good run in the second half---made a three pointer and showed very good ball pressure on double teams. I think this team needs his energy---I think he'd be better playing more minutes at the 2 guard for now than at the point. But he needs to play more.

2-Chapman: he had a solid game. Made a big three pointer to give BC its first lead and made some nice passes, but missed a key open shot late and he, like Bowman struggles away from the ball on defense. He took the ball strong to the hole when he got the flagrant call and calmly made both FTs. He's a solid addition.

3-Owens: he really helped turn the game around by making shots from the high post versus their zone.

4-Popovich: came right in and got fouled on a post move. Not sure why he only played 8 minutes because he looked good and the team needed some scoring from the bench.

5-Reyes: I think he might be a better fit for this team for more minutes than Jeffers. Unlike Jeffers Reyes is smooth around the basket and he has good hops on shot blocks. He and Graves had the two best swats of the night.

Was Sagay injured? if not, it is inexcusable not to play him. Yes, he's learning but he adds an athleticism, especially in transition that BC needs more of.

End of game situation (a little over 10 second left BC up 64-62)---Hartford has a side OB---and is coming off a timeout. BC has 2 fouls to give. The conventional thinking is---make sure you foul the PG on his dribble (try to strip him---you might get away with it) and 100% make sure you blanket Dunne and deny him the ball. Those are the 2 players who have hurt BC the whole game. BC almost gets a 5 second call off the inbounds, and then the PG starts to dribble---no foul---still no foul from help along the baseline---the PG kicks it out to the corner and the corner forward passes it quickly to Dunne standing all alone (that's right---all alone) on the wing and, of course, just as he did to end the first half, he bangs it. 2.4 seconds left and BC's hail mary misses.

BC, under Christian, seems to let some player go for a career high---and does practically nothing to tilt the defense toward that player. Few other teams in the country, no matter what division, would have let Dunne take that game-winner, let alone let him take it uncontested. It's like the BC coaching staff and players aren't paying attention to the game. Very frustrating, especially in winnable, close games.

So, basically everyone played at least okay and we still lost to Hartford? Seems farfetched.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:00 am

I disagree with Mitch, but still I don't think the overall talent is the problem here.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Mitch on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:17 am

EagleDave:

I guess I am one of the few who will continue to watch every game, mostly because I like to see the players develop.

The Hartford game was actually a good game to watch, despite the loss. Down the stretch both teams made excellent plays.

What might be lost in the shuffle a little bit about this game is that Hartford's zone presented BC's young team with some problems. I give them and their coaches credit. It was a well coached zone---and BC hadn't played much against zone previously, which made it all the more challenging for them. That said, the team found some ways to crack their zone in the second half---which I feel was one of the silver linings of this game, especially in preparing down the road for Syracuse.

There were a number of positives in the game, so rather than just concede that BC sucks and leave it at that, I thought I would try to point some of those positives out. I also provided several of the issues that I have been concerned about with Coach Christian, so i tried not to sugar coat anything. BC lost on a shot that should have never happened. Dunne was hurting them all game---he had the hottest hand on the floor and there really is no excuse that he found himself wide open on the wing to swish the game winner.

At this point I feel more positive about the young players than I do about the coaching staff. I hope that the coaching improves. But, I am worried that it won't. I am also concerned that the coaches will play Jeffers and Tava the majority of the minutes while Popovic, Sagay and Reyes languish away on the bench. This team should be building on its youthful athleticism---it should be fast breaking and playing up tempo. It should be pressing (full and 3/4 court) much more. And on offense they have to cut the weaving and sideways dribbling and start slashing to the hoop off the dribble---to score or draw and dish or kick. Christian's teams rarely get to the foul line and it is a function of his motion offense that looks more like a stall than anything else.

What are your thoughts? Anyone?
Mitch
n00b

Postby Mitch on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:20 am

Epstein---

What do you disagree with? You are a knowledgeable fan so I would very much like to hear your thoughts and weight them with my own.
Mitch
n00b

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:43 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Why does JC keep saying the team was tired? What exactly are they tired from?

Being terrible at basketball.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Mitch {l Wrote}:Epstein---

What do you disagree with? You are a knowledgeable fan so I would very much like to hear your thoughts and weight them with my own.

1. This team can't play up-tempo with these 2 PGs. Bowman plays out of control and his handle is very poor. I still like Graves but he is way too timid on offense. He is also a complete liability on D. Play up-tempo will result in 30 TOs per game. I don't like JRob at PG either, it's doing what they did last year with Carter and you saw how that worked. You're going to just have to let these PGs figure it out but they've both been terrible.

2. I didn't watch this game but Tava is the worst player on the team that gets minutes. I could literally find a guy down at my gym with better athletic ability. He gets abused on defense because frankly he looks out of shape and slow to me. Split the minutes between Jeffers (who sucks slightly less), Popovic and Reyes. When the other team goes small play Turner or Owens there.

3. Chatman does nothing for me. He is pretty much a 3 and D guy and he's not very good at the D part. Frankly this team has way too many 3 and D type guys.

4. Continuing to run the offense through Tava and Jeffers is just awful coaching and I hope the staff knows better than to continue to do this. They need to spread the floor and just play drive and kick, because they are actually good at that. I think the staff has done an exceptionally poor job with this team.

5. The staff insists on switching between zone and man on defense. The players look confused as shit when we do this. It leads me to believe either the staff does an awful job of communication or these players are dumb as shit. The quotes about fouling in the Hartford game leads me to the same conclusion. Either bad communication or dumb players. I commented on this last year when I'd sit behind the bench that JC would communicate something and the players would do the opposite. It's some of the same offenders this year as last year.

Basically, as long as our PGs commit more TOs than Assists and we continue to run an offense through our YMCA PF this team isn't beating anyone left on the schedule including whatever shitty OOC teams we play. The coaches deserve plenty of blame because they've done an awful job, but the players at some point need to hold some accountability and play basketball. It's not like we are playing walk-ons these are all kids with multiple P5 offers.

I proactively do not like this group of players. Their body language, communication with each other and demeanor on the court suck with the exception of Turner and Owens. Robinson is the worst of them all, he looks like a complete and total malcontent out there. They also look like morons when the coach tells them to do one thing and they do the exact opposite.

God bless you if you can continue to watch this product. I attended every home game last year including those dreadful 9 pm tips but I can't do it anymore. I've deleted the schedule from my calendar and unfollowed them on Twitter and my ESPN app along with turning down tickets for the ACC home games.

Figure it out and I'll watch again, but watching clueless coaching and dopey malcontent players does nothing for me regardless of whether the jersey says BC or not. The football players most the time were a likeable bunch and played really hard so it was easier to root for them.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum