Harvard Game Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Harvard Game Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Unless there's some billionaire waiting in the wings to make a 9 figure donation, there's a 0% chance of a home run hire. However much we spend, we're going to get a coach that's actually worth half that much because we have to pay a massive premium to convince anyone to come here and kill their career. The reason the last coaching search was a disaster is they didn't realize until they started trying to solicit interviews that no one wants to coach here. Christian took it because he had no prayer of ever getting another P5 job otherwise, and we massively overpaid him. The next coaching search is going to be a similar disaster, we're either going to get another nothingburger with no better options or maybe we'll just take the wild shot lottery ticket approach with someone like Walter McCarty or someone similarly out of left field. Not to sound too much like HJS here but when I think about plausible paths to getting this turned around, maybe we needed to hire somebody like Calhoun, let him recruit actual talent onto the roster, and then force him to retire after 2 years and hope to con some good coach into coming. Or we could try the Virginia Tech approach and hire a good coach who's a year away from being fired at his current school. Of course all of this requires a proactive athletic department, not a lame duck MAC-failure AD who patted himself on the back so hard over graduation rates he knocked himself over and of course fell up into BC's stupid waiting arms

They need to just spend the $ and hire a real basketball coach.

I feel bad for JC and don't think he's a bad coach but the situation he was put in specifically with roster construction was as bad as I've ever seen.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I feel bad for JC and don't think he's a bad coach but the situation he was put in specifically with roster construction was as bad as I've ever seen.

what's he done to fix it?

are you saying ts slaughter deserves the same caveat>?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:30 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I feel bad for JC and don't think he's a bad coach but the situation he was put in specifically with roster construction was as bad as I've ever seen.

He's done an awful job of fixing it. They should've recruited an actual PG last year so we didn't need to suffer through 2 freshman PGs at once. He also somehow thought Tava was a good idea and hasn't recruited an actual PF.

Daz's situation was also a disaster. He sucks at coaching but has done an okay job at replacing the talent.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

He's done an awful job of fixing it. They should've recruited an actual PG last year so we didn't need to suffer through 2 freshman PGs at once. He also somehow thought Tava was a good idea and hasn't recruited an actual PF.

Daz's situation was also a disaster. He sucks at coaching but has done an okay job at replacing the talent.

From the firing of Don to the hiring of JC, Bates could not have been more Bates if Bates tried. It is the epitome of buttcut's ineptitude. For most, it was the moment that we all just said... this dude is just fucking clownshoes. While some will claim they knew it when he was shocked at the negative outrage he received from hiring Daz, I think most could understand at some level how he could've innocently ended up at that decision. To then fumble the Jimmy-Mac hire so spectacularly, well... for all intents and purposes, his tenure ended at that press conference. BC's cheapness and feckless BOT is the only reason he is still languishing in The Heights waiting for the calendar to expire his contract.

All that said... I don't think JC is a bad guy. And, I don't think he is a terrible coach. I think he is a guy who is in way the fuck over his head. He is the quentessential wrong place/wrong time hire. He assembled a pretty terrific staff and has done a good job infusing the roster with talent (though incomplete from a position perspective). If anyone deserves another year (and I'm of the opinion that neither do) it is him.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

From the firing of Don to the hiring of JC, Bates could not have been more Bates if Bates tried. It is the epitome of buttcut's ineptitude. For most, it was the moment that we all just said... this dude is just fucking clownshoes. While some will claim they knew it when he was shocked at the negative outrage he received from hiring Daz, I think most could understand at some level how he could've innocently ended up at that decision. To then fumble the Jimmy-Mac hire so spectacularly, well... for all intents and purposes, his tenure ended at that press conference. BC's cheapness and feckless BOT is the only reason he is still languishing in The Heights waiting for the calendar to expire his contract.

All that said... I don't think JC is a bad guy. And, I don't think he is a terrible coach. I think he is a guy who is in way the fuck over his head. He is the quentessential wrong place/wrong time hire. He assembled a pretty terrific staff and has done a good job infusing the roster with talent (though incomplete from a position perspective). If anyone deserves another year (and I'm of the opinion that neither do) it is him.

Firing him after Year 3 is ridiculous even if he repeats another 0-18. Jesus Christ himself couldn't win games with these rosters
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Firing him after Year 3 is ridiculous even if he repeats another 0-18. Jesus Christ himself couldn't win games with these rosters

He is mediocre at best but another 0-18 season, come on. He has to get launched if he accomplishes that again. I actually think they'll win 2 ACC games so it will be a "mute" point.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:10 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

He is mediocre at best but another 0-18 season, come on. He has to get launched if he accomplishes that again. I actually think they'll win 2 ACC games so it will be a "mute" point.

As I posted early this Fall, the administration was all-in on Daziani being the right man for the job regardless of the season's results (why I kept saying he was safe). They, however, seemed ready to cut ties with JC saying something along the lines that it was a make or break year for him. I believed then as I do today that the reason for this is financial (as is always the case with BC). They simply couldn't afford firing Daz... but could cheaply cut ties with Jimmy Mac. At the time, I was honestly taken aback by the criticism of JC and the Kool Aid drunk for Dazoo. Unless JC shows some major improvement, I think the plan is for him to go.

All that said, I believe when I talked to the AD reps, it was at a point in time that a decision on BB hadn't been determined. It is my belief that it is Bates who doesn't feel wed to JC (probably because of the heat he took for outsourcing his job to Fogler). With Bates' departure seemingly likely, JC may be able to buy himself some time with a couple of ACC wins (so long as an AD isn't announced between now and March).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:27 pm

Christian isn't going anywhere. Team stinks, but they are moving forward. He needs to light a fire under Turner, that's his biggest failure, not being able to get 12-15 ppg and 6-8 boards a night from him. And that's even with him shooting close to 50% from 3.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:23 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

FSU, who is not a good ACC Team, beat Nichols by 60 points last night.

There is absolutely no chance this team wins 2 ACC games I would be shocked if they hit 1.

Last year's team, as hideous as they were, would destroy this team.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Christian isn't going anywhere. Team stinks, but they are moving forward. He needs to light a fire under Turner, that's his biggest failure, not being able to get 12-15 ppg and 6-8 boards a night from him. And that's even with him shooting close to 50% from 3.

The talent is better and younger, that is about the nicest thing I can say.

When the talent is together it looks like the worst basketball team I've seen under Donahue or JC. They have no clue how to play together as a team. The 5th years are horrible and the PGs have 34 TOs and 31 assists. That is not good.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum