UMES Gamethread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: UMES Gamethread

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:44 pm

BC may still not win an ACC game this year but dare I say they'll be more enjoyable to watch without Eli Carter roaming the court.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:45 pm

For those that didn't suffer through Game 1, we would've won by 30 had we played like this.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Take out Bowman and Tava before I break my iPad
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Playing d and attacking on o.

I like it. Give Tava credit he can pass and gets good position. That's all I will concede.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:50 pm

Sagay is a freak athlete. Kudos to Reyes too, liked his game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:50 pm

That's a good win against a team that didn't look dreadful to me
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:55 pm

I like Mike (Sagay)
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Granted, I didn't go, either...

It's good to get a win but I've already seen enough of Tava.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I like Mike (Sagay)

You enjoy the part where he ran around like a chicken with its head severed on defense for about a full minute?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:15 pm

I want to see more of King Juancarlos and far, far less of Tava. I'll admit though that if we are going 0-18 I'm going to love Tava because he's at least entertainingly bad. Bowman was a lot better than the reports from the first game (I only watched the last five minutes of that one).

Georgetown gagged it in the last minute against Maryland. I'm glad college basketball is back.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:I want to see more of King Juancarlos and far, far less of Tava. I'll admit though that if we are going 0-18 I'm going to love Tava because he's at least entertainingly bad. Bowman was a lot better than the reports from the first game (I only watched the last five minutes of that one).

Georgetown gagged it in the last minute against Maryland. I'm glad college basketball is back.

Bowman was less bad today.

Not easy playing PG as a freshman
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

You enjoy the part where he ran around like a chicken with its head severed on defense for about a full minute?

Best minute of my day!
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:35 pm

This team is as athletic as fuck. Basketball skills have a lot to be desired. But, you can certainly win with this talent. Shaka Smart would have this team making a run in the NCAAs. JC should have these kids just playing at breakneck speed. The D should be pressure that contests every inch. The offense should essentially be a MacDonalds All America Game. When we set up in the half-court... or let the opponent set up its offense... it leads to disaster.

BC's D should be a series of steals, deflections and contested perimeter shots. It will also result in a bunch of easy opponent baskets. But, the hope is that a frenetic pace makes it difficult to be patient and work for that easy look. BC's O should primarily be transition, 3-pointers, drives and kickouts. Nothing that would remotely take practice time or coordination to accomplish.

All that said... I don't think Jimmy Mac has it in him to adjust. Accordingly, I see a lot of terrible half-court sets where we are racing the shot clock to get off a contested fade-away jumper. While we won't win under Christian, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the next coach finds quick success. Ok... I'd be surprised because it meant BC hired a decent coach for once. But, the point is that there is some promise on the roster.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:40 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:This team is as athletic as fuck. Basketball skills have a lot to be desired. But, you can certainly win with this talent. Shaka Smart would have this team making a run in the NCAAs. JC should have these kids just playing at breakneck speed. The D should be pressure that contests every inch. The offense should essentially be a MacDonalds All America Game. When we set up in the half-court... or let the opponent set up its offense... it leads to disaster.

BC's D should be a series of steals, deflections and contested perimeter shots. It will also result in a bunch of easy opponent baskets. But, the hope is that a frenetic pace makes it difficult to be patient and work for that easy look. BC's O should primarily be transition, 3-pointers, drives and kickouts. Nothing that would remotely take practice time or coordination to accomplish.

All that said... I don't think Jimmy Mac has it in him to adjust. Accordingly, I see a lot of terrible half-court sets where we are racing the shot clock to get off a contested fade-away jumper. While we won't win under Christian, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the next coach finds quick success. Ok... I'd be surprised because it meant BC hired a decent coach for once. But, the point is that there is some promise on the roster.

BC isn't deep enough, nor do we have the interior shot blocker to play this style. See VCU of past years.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:22 pm

They break appropriately.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Primetime on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:57 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:This team is as athletic as fuck. Basketball skills have a lot to be desired. But, you can certainly win with this talent. Shaka Smart would have this team making a run in the NCAAs. JC should have these kids just playing at breakneck speed. The D should be pressure that contests every inch. The offense should essentially be a MacDonalds All America Game. When we set up in the half-court... or let the opponent set up its offense... it leads to disaster.

BC isn't deep enough, nor do we have the interior shot blocker to play this style. See VCU of past years.

I think the point is, the pieces are starting to come together - compared with the sh!t sandwich that was last year's team.

They need depth, they need maturity, and they need ONE interior presence - think Notre Dame or Virginia playing 4-out, 1-in.

But seeing the athleticism of Graves/Bowman/Robinson/Turner has me excited. Now they need to recruit a goddamn 4/5 and they will have the tools to compete.

And, for the record, when Sagay cut to the hoop and finished, I did a double-take and thought "who is that?!"
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:35 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Too be fair, he took off down the floor when it was pretty obvious that one of the BC players was going to get a rebound -- and then flubbed it. After that he almost had a nice steal before Robinson did steal it leading to his basket. With 1 minute left in a game in hand -- don't really think you can make any determination other than he looks pretty freakishly athletic.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby Mitch on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:43 am

This was an enjoyable game to watch.

Positives:

*Good energy and enthusiasm despite small crowd.
*Active defense---good ball pressure. Looks like this team is athletic enough to press when needed.
*Solid rebounding---23 from Jeffers and Tava.
*Good tempo---pushed the ball well---looks like this team could fast break more than teams of the past.

*Graves and Bowman---good athletes---would like to see them play as a tandem more. Graves is skilled and Bowman is aggressive (sees the floor---nice press break alley oop to Popovich. Turnovers are going to happen until he gets more excperience---but it is good he is aggressive).
*Robinson and Turner are developing nicely---good 1-2 punch---jumpers are textbook---need to get stronger around the basket and taking it strong to the hoop).
*Jeffers and Tava---missing some bunnies, but are banging the boards and fighting for offensive rebounds. Jeffers took a big charge versus UMES's best scorer.
*Popovich---looks to me like he could be a point 4 man like Joe Trapani---has excellent form on his jumper.
*Reyes---played very well within himself---has a couple nice post moves and a nice bucket to finish the first half.
*Chapman---solid player with good range---again, good form and good vision.
*Owens---showing leadership and occasional explosion.
*Sagay---great to see him run the floor and finish.

It's going to take a few games for the team to jell, but these are better athletes and skilled players than we've had in recent years. The depth is pretty decent. No true center or shot blocker, but if Jeffers can take the charge the way he did last night, that may pose an issue for slashers.

There was good chemistry last night----more than I would have expected for such a young team with so many new faces. I just hope Coach Christian gets the team ready to handle late game situations in tight contests because this team might have a chance to surprise.
Mitch
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:01 am

Primetime {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I think the point is, the pieces are starting to come together - compared with the sh!t sandwich that was last year's team.

They need depth, they need maturity, and they need ONE interior presence - think Notre Dame or Virginia playing 4-out, 1-in.

But seeing the athleticism of Graves/Bowman/Robinson/Turner has me excited. Now they need to recruit a goddamn 4/5 and they will have the tools to compete.

And, for the record, when Sagay cut to the hoop and finished, I did a double-take and thought "who is that?!"

I need to see more before declaring the pieces are coming together. Friday Night was a complete mess and they didn't even play very well in the 2nd half Friday Night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:13 am

Second that sentiment. Let's limit it to "liked what I saw last night"
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:37 am

On another note, Chatman is a better player than I expected.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:29 am

All of you who are saying the team is coming together need to snap out of it. It was one game four days removed from a disaster.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:59 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:All of you who are saying the team is coming together need to snap out of it. It was one game four days removed from a disaster.

c'mon foot... you remember the days after the rcc football win and the declaration that the team had turned the corner. this is the same sort of bullshit.

can't complain, it keeps the 10-2 aliass in business.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Mitch on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:24 pm

I wouldn't call the Nichols loss a disaster. First games for young teams are a crap shoot. The fact that the team came all the way back to tie the game late was impressive. The fact is too that despite all the negativity surrounding the program and the tough loss to Nichols, and playing in front of what appeared to be 400 fans, the team bounced back with energy and determination. This says a lot about their character.

This team is very young---but there are players to build on. That's what excites me. Yes, in many games they are going to struggle, but this time I do not think it will be for lack of effort or for complete lack of talent (Robinson, Turner, Graves, Bowman, Popovic, Chapman, Sagay and even Reyes as a backup big look like keepers to me). The struggles will be for lack of experience and time playing together. Yet, there was good chemistry last night on defense, offense and transition---which this early on is encouraging.
Mitch
n00b

Postby thebs19 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:09 pm

Whoever made the Tava-as-Raji comp was spot-on. I was trying to think of an appropriate comparison point, and thats it - they both want to be like freshman-year Dudley (the version before he could shoot) but lack the athleticism Dudley had to do that. Too many putbacks on nice weakside offensive rebounds getting rejected by the rim because they can't elevate inside.

Jeffers reminds me a bit of Shamari Spears. He's obviously bigger (though he's not 6'9" as listed), but his rebounding style looks like it'll work nicely against undersized/weak OOC "bigs" and get completely overwhelmed by ACC opponents - its the old throw your weight around and tip the ball to yourself as you hipcheck everyone next to you because you can't go over them and guys will go around your half-assed box out.

My biggest concern is we won't get a rebound against better opponents - or anyone who has a legit post presence. I thought positioning wise, Tava and Reyes were probably best but Tava is too small/unathletic and Reyes just isn't strong enough yet. Popovic looks much more comfortable 10 feet away from the hoop and Jeffers, well, see above.

I hope we see more Reyes though after last night. Showed some post moves, showed some defensive positions/shot-altering, and showed the ability to be in the right spot for a slashing guard AND ability to catch those transition passes/finish, which is a combo not often seen amongst our bigs recently.

Owens looked like he got phased back a bit after getting overwhelmed size-wise in the first half playing the 4. They had him on Bakari Copeland for a few possessions and he just pushed him around. 10-12 minutes seems right for him, and hopefully Sagay (since it would appear the plan ISN'T to redshirt him as I had initially thought was a possible explanation for lack of time in scrimmage/vs. Nicholls) eventually eats into and takes that role over by year-end, since they kinda seem like the same thing right now, with Sagay an extra 2 inches and Owens more "leadership".
Last edited by thebs19 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby thebs19 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:11 pm

Mitch {l Wrote}:I wouldn't call the Nichols loss a disaster. First games for young teams are a crap shoot. The fact that the team came all the way back to tie the game late was impressive.

Come on. Not that we have a leg to stand on here at BC, but just being recruited into the ACC should allow you to survive on talent alone against one of the 20 worst Division I teams at home, game 1. This wasn't like a mediocre mid-major loaded with upperclassman who overwhelmed our "young team" ("young team" = starts 2 returning starters and 2 grad seniors...ok Daz).
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:07 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:Whoever made the Tava-as-Raji comp was spot-on.

You're welcome.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ckoub01 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:57 pm

1. One-and-done Bowman is going to be a roller coaster this year. He certainly is athletic and made some good shots around the rim, but every move of his begins with an And-1 mixtape dribbling set and ends with a kamikaze run to the basket. When he plays similar athletes in the ACC, he is SOL.

2. Nice to see Reyes put some decent minutes in as a 4th big.

3. Let's pray for our bigs come ACC play, it's going to be a bloodbath. Wish we had Clifford back for 30 minutes night + eat with his teammates.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby Mitch on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:29 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Mitch {l Wrote}:I wouldn't call the Nichols loss a disaster. First games for young teams are a crap shoot. The fact that the team came all the way back to tie the game late was impressive.

Come on. Not that we have a leg to stand on here at BC, but just being recruited into the ACC should allow you to survive on talent alone against one of the 20 worst Division I teams at home, game 1. This wasn't like a mediocre mid-major loaded with upperclassman who overwhelmed our "young team" ("young team" = starts 2 returning starters and 2 grad seniors...ok Daz).

Nichols didn't look like one of the worst 20 teams in Division 1. They executed well, played pesky defense and made clutch shots. Even when BC tied the game, they hit their shots---a 3 from the wing and a drive off the window from a difficult angle.

This BC team is just starting to build chemistry---there are 3 new starters---2 freshmen point guards----2 transfer bigs (one of whom never was a scorer and the other of whom was out all year last year because of injury). The second team is pretty much new. It takes time and plenty of effort. The effort was there versus Nichols---the chemistry wasn't, which is understandable for a team this young.
Mitch
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:10 pm

Mitch {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

Nichols didn't look like one of the worst 20 teams in Division 1. They executed well, played pesky defense and made clutch shots. Even when BC tied the game, they hit their shots---a 3 from the wing and a drive off the window from a difficult angle.

This BC team is just starting to build chemistry---there are 3 new starters---2 freshmen point guards----2 transfer bigs (one of whom never was a scorer and the other of whom was out all year last year because of injury). The second team is pretty much new. It takes time and plenty of effort. The effort was there versus Nichols---the chemistry wasn't, which is understandable for a team this young.

I don't care if they had zero chemistry and zero effort, justifying the Nichols result is idiotic. It was an absolute unmitigated fucking disaster, and that is probably underselling it a bit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum