2016-17 BC Basketball Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016-17 BC Basketball Thread

Postby Logitano on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:12 pm

When you have a team like this you need to make up for a lack of certain abilities outside of your control by becoming very good in areas you do have control like, I don't know, free throw shooting. Bad job Jimmy Mac. Yes, that was our 5th year transfer with the weird anxiety induced walk when under no duress at the end there. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Why is Owens still getting so many minutes?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:32 pm

The game itself was a beauty, but I think what I enjoyed most about the experience was the emergency lights flashing every 6 seconds in the most seizure-inducing manner imaginable. Anyone else at the game enjoy the blinding flashes?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:37 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Why is Owens still getting so many minutes?

Early in the season and our team was not playing well. The refs basically fouled him out. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:08 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Why is Owens still getting so many minutes?

Owens was literally the only good part about this game.

The rest of these kids should quit basketball.

The coaching was horrendous as well.

November 11 and basketball season is ovet
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:15 pm

LOL at you dumbasses. My wife called this
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:30 pm

- JC coaches like a drunken monkey. It looked like hockey line changes in the first half. Also, it looked like BC had never practiced against a zone or a press.
- If Tava were a few inches taller he would be Caudill. He is dreadful. I have no idea what the coaching staff saw in him.
- Owens was the best player out there
- Bowman can't dribble, which I thought was a useful skill for a PG. He probably should've stuck with football
- JRob appears injured to me, he wasn't good at all tonight
- Jeffers is respectable
- Popovic clearly has potential but tonight wasn't good
- Graves is really good but too tentative

They basically got shell shocked at the beginning and never recovered. The coaching was an absolute joke though.

Oh and the opponent was terrible, that has to be one of the worst 25 teams in America.

I just can't believe how bad this program is, there is 0 excuse for this mess tonight.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:31 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:The game itself was a beauty, but I think what I enjoyed most about the experience was the emergency lights flashing every 6 seconds in the most seizure-inducing manner imaginable. Anyone else at the game enjoy the blinding flashes?

I think I sat 2 rows in front of you.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:38 pm

Your wife called this. Your married???
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:01 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Your wife called this. Your married???

she either had a micro vag or is asexual.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:09 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Your wife called this. Your married???

she either had a micro vag or is asexual.

He was talking to TWB first of all.

Second of all I am adorable.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:08 am

Someone tell me again how you couldn't glean anything from the life and death struggle with Stonehill and that this team will be much improved.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:14 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Someone tell me again how you couldn't glean anything from the life and death struggle with Stonehill and that this team will be much improved.

tell me again who sai this team would be "much improved"
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Mitch on Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:12 am

I thought it was great that despite digging itself a hole, the team roared back to tie in late in the second half. During that stretch I saw some very good play and emotion from Graves, Robinson, Turner, Jeffers and Popovic.

The team is still very young, it still lacks a true center and any real semblance of a shot blocker (Harris' 28 points would have been 14 otherwise) and Jim Christian still hasn't shown he can make good decisions in close games. Case in point: moments after Nichols' out of bounds defense forced BC to lob it back toward half-court and nearly turn the ball over (poor design and execution on a simple under the basket OB play), Nichols in the same scenario on their end, gets a direct pass in to a wide open guard at the three point line and he splashes it. Later, after BC tied the game, Nichols runs the exact same OB play and gets the exact same result, a 3 point swish and momentum back on their side for good. That's the 6 point difference in the game, right there.

Plus, how they kept letting Harris drive to the hole to his right is mind-boggling---what coach sits back and lets that happen time after time?

Missing so many free throws at home----so many of the missed were bricks.

On the positive side---Graves reminds me a little of Dana Barros. You're right he was a little tentative, but that's to be expected in his first game. BC has to get good games from Robinson and Turner to win. Both had some very good moments in the second half, but were not getting it done in the first half.

I like Jeffers---and I think Tava will grow on us if he can settle down. Popovic is going to be solid. It looks like he has some post moves...now he needs to settle down at the FT line.
Mitch
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:52 am

Mitch {l Wrote}:I thought it was great that despite digging itself a hole, the team roared back to tie in late in the second half. During that stretch I saw some very good play and emotion from Graves, Robinson, Turner, Jeffers and Popovic.

The team is still very young, it still lacks a true center and any real semblance of a shot blocker (Harris' 28 points would have been 14 otherwise) and Jim Christian still hasn't shown he can make good decisions in close games. Case in point: moments after Nichols' out of bounds defense forced BC to lob it back toward half-court and nearly turn the ball over (poor design and execution on a simple under the basket OB play), Nichols in the same scenario on their end, gets a direct pass in to a wide open guard at the three point line and he splashes it. Later, after BC tied the game, Nichols runs the exact same OB play and gets the exact same result, a 3 point swish and momentum back on their side for good. That's the 6 point difference in the game, right there.

Plus, how they kept letting Harris drive to the hole to his right is mind-boggling---what coach sits back and lets that happen time after time?

Missing so many free throws at home----so many of the missed were bricks.

On the positive side---Graves reminds me a little of Dana Barros. You're right he was a little tentative, but that's to be expected in his first game. BC has to get good games from Robinson and Turner to win. Both had some very good moments in the second half, but were not getting it done in the first half.

I like Jeffers---and I think Tava will grow on us if he can settle down. Popovic is going to be solid. It looks like he has some post moves...now he needs to settle down at the FT line.

You do realize this was one of the worst 25 teams in America correct? And that for the meantime we play in the ACC?

I'll cede you if they didn't spot the other team the first 20 points they would've blown them out but still.

The refs were also terrible which allowed that Harris kid to get to the hoop. It's called an illegal screen, call it.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby gamer5252 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:57 am

The substitutions were awful... It was like he wrote them down on a napkin before the game.. He takes out graves for a decent chunk early in the second half when he is the only one hitting shots.. Sitting Chapman didn't make sense either... Robinson was dreadful on both ends of the floor and turner didn't show up until second half. Two disappointing performances from there best two players on paper. Bowman looked like he had never played basketball before and people have said he was surprise of camp.. I thought there some really soft fouls called against BC late that really hurt them. I know it was the first game but what a terrible effort...How do you come out of the gates down 16-1...That is the sign of a team not ready to play and who was taking Nichols State lightly, which is impossible to do after squeaking by Stonehill...Our interior defense was awful...we made Thomas of nichols look like Kevin Garnett
gamer5252
n00b

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:The game itself was a beauty, but I think what I enjoyed most about the experience was the emergency lights flashing every 6 seconds in the most seizure-inducing manner imaginable. Anyone else at the game enjoy the blinding flashes?

Where did you sit?

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Where did you sit?

Section V?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:13 pm

gamer5252 {l Wrote}:The substitutions were awful... It was like he wrote them down on a napkin before the game.. He takes out graves for a decent chunk early in the second half when he is the only one hitting shots.. Sitting Chapman didn't make sense either... Robinson was dreadful on both ends of the floor and turner didn't show up until second half. Two disappointing performances from there best two players on paper. Bowman looked like he had never played basketball before and people have said he was surprise of camp.. I thought there some really soft fouls called against BC late that really hurt them. I know it was the first game but what a terrible effort...How do you come out of the gates down 16-1...That is the sign of a team not ready to play and who was taking Nichols State lightly, which is impossible to do after squeaking by Stonehill...Our interior defense was awful...we made Thomas of nichols look like Kevin Garnett

Outside of Turner the guards play horrible defense.

Bowman literally cannot dribble
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:40 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
gamer5252 {l Wrote}:The substitutions were awful... It was like he wrote them down on a napkin before the game.. He takes out graves for a decent chunk early in the second half when he is the only one hitting shots.. Sitting Chapman didn't make sense either... Robinson was dreadful on both ends of the floor and turner didn't show up until second half. Two disappointing performances from there best two players on paper. Bowman looked like he had never played basketball before and people have said he was surprise of camp.. I thought there some really soft fouls called against BC late that really hurt them. I know it was the first game but what a terrible effort...How do you come out of the gates down 16-1...That is the sign of a team not ready to play and who was taking Nichols State lightly, which is impossible to do after squeaking by Stonehill...Our interior defense was awful...we made Thomas of nichols look like Kevin Garnett

Outside of Turner the guards play horrible defense.

Bowman literally cannot dribble

Graeves didn't look horrible, granted I was flipping between this and soccer

Graves was the 2nd beat player on the floor except for Owens.

His defense is really bad tho
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:47 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Where did you sit?

Section V?

False alarm then. There was a group of guys 2 rows in front of me, for a second I thought I might have had a close brush with the fabled EO coaching staff

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Bender on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:30 pm

Obviously not many positives when you lose to Nicholls but:

Graves was a bright spot, I think he missed his first three shots then hit his next five. He got lost on defense a couple of times but playing help side defense and making proper rotations can be tougher for young players to learn especially because AAU teams would never bother. I was alarmed by his size, maybe it was just because most of the other guards were so big for both teams, but he didn't look like a legit 6 feet to me, I'd have guessed closer to 5'9" and he was very skinny. I only bring that up because in league play that could be tough to overcome. It might also explain why he was a little tentative because if you're undersized and not strong enough driving into the lane can lead to a lot of turnovers. But he was definitely the most exciting and positive part of the game for BC. I hope he can develop into one of those annoying on ball defenders like John Linehan used to be for Providence, he looks like he has that kind of quickness.

I've always been a fan of Owens, I feel like he was recruited by Donahue as an overreaction to the lack of athleticism on the roster so he thought he could recruit an athlete and teach him how to shoot once he got to BC. He's shown constant improvement and always works hard despite his limitations as a player.

Turner had a good all around game, shot well played good D, really cranked up the emotion during that 15-2 run that almost salvaged the game. The main drawback is that we need more out of him to be succesful as a team, the team needs him to be a top 3 player, not just a solid player.

Jeffers played hard and made a couple decent moves inside, but he had awful closeouts when he had to rotate out to the three point line, and if that big man for Nicholls is gonna do that well against him there are going to be a lot of long nights getting dominated by big men.

Chatman looks like a nice role player, but not much more than a rotational guy, back up guard who will hit open threes and play decent defense.

Popovic looked fine to me, he's not ready yet, but I definitely understand why you would bring in a guy like that and his upside looks high.

Excuses for disappointing players:

I didn't like anything I saw out of Tava aside from one move he made from the free throw line to get a lay up. He looked like he wanted to play physical and the refs wanted no part of that style of play, also Nicholls was playing with four perimeter players for the most part and he was outquicked the whole time he was trying to defend.

I didn't think Bowman's ballhandling was quite as bad as it's being said here. He might not be a true point even though his size would put him as a 1. He's a good athlete but he kept making lazy plays on defense and I think JC made the right choice by giving Graves his minutes after the shaky start.

Obviously this goes without saying but this is an awful way to begin the season and even if they improve a lot this could be the worst of the many bad seasons we've had to endure as fans.

Robinson's main problem was that he was trying do too much, he's being asked to be the main creator for the team and it's just too much for him to handle at this point. I saw good things from him, but it seems like the team needs more than he can bring.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:50 pm

I think Robinson was injured, specifically a back issue
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:14 pm

Tava is as predicted, not good.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby jbrooks58 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:42 pm

I agree with most of what is being said. Whoever kept reporting Bowman and Tava would be good is a idiot. They both suck.
jbrooks58
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:19 pm

jbrooks58 {l Wrote}:I agree with most of what is being said. Whoever kept reporting Bowman and Tava would be good is a idiot. They both suck.

I'm willing to chalk up whatever the fuck that was from Bowman to nerves in his first game.

Tava is absolutely terrible, Owens should start on Tuesday Night.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:31 pm

We've all seen Owens vs the ACC and we know it doesn't work. Bowman needs to start attacking off the dribble, if he turns into AJ Turner 2.0, then Christian can probably start sending his resume to MAC ADs. Tava's numbers in the MAC suggest he's better than he looked the first 2 times out so I am not going to write him off yet....but he has been awful so far. I would love to see Sagay even if he's a disaster, he looks like Julius Erving in the warmups. Just throw him alley oops or something

P.S. I want whoever measured Graves at 6'0 to be in charge of measuring my dick because that's a generous measurement by several inches

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:17 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:We've all seen Owens vs the ACC and we know it doesn't work. Bowman needs to start attacking off the dribble, if he turns into AJ Turner 2.0, then Christian can probably start sending his resume to MAC ADs. Tava's numbers in the MAC suggest he's better than he looked the first 2 times out so I am not going to write him off yet....but he has been awful so far. I would love to see Sagay even if he's a disaster, he looks like Julius Erving in the warmups. Just throw him alley oops or something

P.S. I want whoever measured Graves at 6'0 to be in charge of measuring my dick because that's a generous measurement by several inches

Owens basically started that comeback with his defense. He is also the only one out there actually leading, encouraging teammates, etc. while JRob and Turner stare off into space.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:20 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:-
- Bowman can't dribble, which I thought was a useful skill for a PG. He probably should've stuck with football

Oh and the opponent was terrible, that has to be one of the worst 25 teams in America.

I parent of a current FR told me (prior to the game) that Bowman is telling people that he is one-n-done.

We couldn't find a local team to beat us for free?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:26 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:I parent of a current FR told me (prior to the game) that Bowman is telling people that he is one-n-done.

One and done at what?
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum