2016-17 BC Basketball Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016-17 BC Basketball Thread

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:A parent of a current FR told me (prior to the game) that Bowman is telling people that he is one-n-done.

One and done at what?

NBA
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:32 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:-
- Bowman can't dribble, which I thought was a useful skill for a PG. He probably should've stuck with football

Oh and the opponent was terrible, that has to be one of the worst 25 teams in America.

I parent of a current FR told me (prior to the game) that Bowman is telling people that he is one-n-done.

We couldn't find a local team to beat us for free?

where's he going to go? vaunted boston college nba draftee olivier hanlan is currently in france (likely because he knows how to speak the language from his time with the canadian national team) after washing out of lithuania. he's certain to burn bridges for other bc players that pound the ball into the floor so bowman's options are growing smaller by the day
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:35 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:A parent of a current FR told me (prior to the game) that Bowman is telling people that he is one-n-done.

One and done at what?

NBA

That's a good one.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:10 pm

I won't be concerned until I hear he was saying that AFTER the first game

I think he got a wake up call
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:21 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I won't be concerned until I hear he was saying that AFTER the first game

this is an actual good point from the funishment. his playing time in practice against d-iii talent may have led him to believe he was a gifted athlete headed quickly to the next level. his actual first game against d-ii talent could have opened his eyes to reality.

or... it could be as i originally assumed that he's not cutting it in the classroom and the one and done might not be all his idea.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:27 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I won't be concerned until I hear he was saying that AFTER the first game

this is an actual good point from the funishment. his playing time in practice against d-iii talent may have led him to believe he was a gifted athlete headed quickly to the next level. his actual first game against d-ii talent could have opened his eyes to reality.

or... it could be as i originally assumed that he's not cutting it in the classroom and the one and done might not be all his idea.

1. It was before the Friday night game (maybe before the exhibition game?);
b) Not classroom related (but have no idea how he is doing), definitely thought he was NBA bound.

Maybe it was just something he was saying to bed dimwitted coeds, and if it worked :kudos
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:34 pm

Whatever his purpose, he gave us a good laugh for the day, so for that I thank him.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:We've all seen Owens vs the ACC and we know it doesn't work. Bowman needs to start attacking off the dribble, if he turns into AJ Turner 2.0, then Christian can probably start sending his resume to MAC ADs. Tava's numbers in the MAC suggest he's better than he looked the first 2 times out so I am not going to write him off yet....but he has been awful so far. I would love to see Sagay even if he's a disaster, he looks like Julius Erving in the warmups. Just throw him alley oops or something

P.S. I want whoever measured Graves at 6'0 to be in charge of measuring my dick because that's a generous measurement by several inches

Owens basically started that comeback with his defense. He is also the only one out there actually leading, encouraging teammates, etc. while JRob and Turner stare off into space.

This is certainly true, but also seems like a similar thing to touting how Eli Carter's propensity to just say "eff it" and start attacking saved us in barn-burners against OOC powerhouses like UDel and UNH last year, which we probably would've lost otherwise.

Which is all to say, if the kids that are actually going to be a part of this program the next realistic time it could be competitive would otherwise lose against crappy OOC opponents, I say let them; I'm not sure what good it does to have these seniors or grads "save the day" in the OOC when we know they'll be overmatched once we get to the conference games anyway. I dunno, maybe thats too "nihilist Arby's" of a take, but if Garland Owens led us back to a nail-biting victory over the Southland's worst...what would that have really done? Seems a lot like what Tava and Jeffers in the frontcourt is going to do for Reyes, Popovich, Sagay, etc. this year. Lead us to a situation (esp. with all of those bigs that we recruited for next year's class, so those guys are clearly going to be counted on next year...) where we're in a perpetual Addazio-like state of "Oh, we're so young and inexperienced, just need time for these guys in the system" etc etc. It'd be nice to not have to write off 2017-2018 during the 2016-2017 season.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Whatever his purpose, he gave us a good laugh for the day, so for that I thank him.

Well they don't dribble in the NBA so he would probably fit right in
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:03 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:We've all seen Owens vs the ACC and we know it doesn't work. Bowman needs to start attacking off the dribble, if he turns into AJ Turner 2.0, then Christian can probably start sending his resume to MAC ADs. Tava's numbers in the MAC suggest he's better than he looked the first 2 times out so I am not going to write him off yet....but he has been awful so far. I would love to see Sagay even if he's a disaster, he looks like Julius Erving in the warmups. Just throw him alley oops or something

P.S. I want whoever measured Graves at 6'0 to be in charge of measuring my dick because that's a generous measurement by several inches

Owens basically started that comeback with his defense. He is also the only one out there actually leading, encouraging teammates, etc. while JRob and Turner stare off into space.

This is certainly true, but also seems like a similar thing to touting how Eli Carter's propensity to just say "eff it" and start attacking saved us in barn-burners against OOC powerhouses like UDel and UNH last year, which we probably would've lost otherwise.

Which is all to say, if the kids that are actually going to be a part of this program the next realistic time it could be competitive would otherwise lose against crappy OOC opponents, I say let them; I'm not sure what good it does to have these seniors or grads "save the day" in the OOC when we know they'll be overmatched once we get to the conference games anyway. I dunno, maybe thats too "nihilist Arby's" of a take, but if Garland Owens led us back to a nail-biting victory over the Southland's worst...what would that have really done? Seems a lot like what Tava and Jeffers in the frontcourt is going to do for Reyes, Popovich, Sagay, etc. this year. Lead us to a situation (esp. with all of those bigs that we recruited for next year's class, so those guys are clearly going to be counted on next year...) where we're in a perpetual Addazio-like state of "Oh, we're so young and inexperienced, just need time for these guys in the system" etc etc. It'd be nice to not have to write off 2017-2018 during the 2016-2017 season.

Your choices at that spot are Owens and Tava.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:29 pm

I remember my first weekend at BC hearing Adam Pineault telling everybody he'd spend a year at BC and then hop to the NHL. So good luck to Bowman in the Q next year.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby Bender on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:51 am

I understand the desire to let younger guys on the court, but I think there is something to be gained by giving minutes to Owens who works hard, has progressed and improved throughout his career, and seems to be a positive influence on young players. I know that getting more minutes for a young player should help them improve more, but if they're not ready for this level at all, it could just backfire and crush their confidence. Also there's value in making them earn the minutes with their play in practice, which I don't think any of us have any information on.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:55 am

Bender {l Wrote}:I understand the desire to let younger guys on the court, but I think there is something to be gained by giving minutes to Owens who works hard, has progressed and improved throughout his career, and seems to be a positive influence on young players. I know that getting more minutes for a young player should help them improve more, but if they're not ready for this level at all, it could just backfire and crush their confidence. Also there's value in making them earn the minutes with their play in practice, which I don't think any of us have any information on.

Agree. Also think that micro wants to play him over Tava, a 5th year transfer, so it should not be hurting the young guy's minutes. I'm on board with Owens in the starting lineup.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Bender {l Wrote}:I understand the desire to let younger guys on the court, but I think there is something to be gained by giving minutes to Owens who works hard, has progressed and improved throughout his career, and seems to be a positive influence on young players. I know that getting more minutes for a young player should help them improve more, but if they're not ready for this level at all, it could just backfire and crush their confidence. Also there's value in making them earn the minutes with their play in practice, which I don't think any of us have any information on.

Agree. Also think that micro wants to play him over Tava, a 5th year transfer, so it should not be hurting the young guy's minutes. I'm on board with Owens in the starting lineup.

I guess; but again, I think we all know where that inevitably leads to; not like we haven't tried going with Owens' "energy and defense" in the lineup before.

I agree Tava is useless. My point is more with those frontcourt recruits coming in (::crickets::), either we're in the same spot of bringing on undersized grad transfers from small schools who aren't any good, or we get Christian borrowing from Addazzio's playbook throughout 2017-2018 about how inexperienced the Reyes/Popovic/Sagay group is.

I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I think its safe to say the on court results aren't leading to anything in 2016-2017. So even if those 3 stink this year...what difference does that make? We're not winning with Tava/Owens/Jeffers anyway. Unless the plan is to redshirt Sagay - then remove him from the above and just limit this to the other 2. There's no reason in my opinion those guys shouldn't have their minutes maxed out, with the Tava/Owens bunch being the ones to come in for rotational/foul trouble purposes, rather than the rotation we saw the other night that apparently wasn't up to snuff for a Nicholls (not St.) team that just lost by 30 to UCF.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:24 am

There's a downside to maximizing freshman minutes - it can be soul crushing and you may never get them back.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:42 am

you mean, because they go to the nba????
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:50 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:you mean, because they go to the nba????

No
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There's a downside to maximizing freshman minutes - it can be soul crushing and you may never get them back.

Certainly. And there's a risk/reward component here. I just think that risk is worth the reward of not flushing 2017/2018 down the toilet before it even begins. And I think thats something that can probably be better assessed 6 weeks from now after we get through the shitty part of the schedule - if its a disaster and not getting better, sure, throw Tava/Owens to the ACC wolves.

I think if there was any value in the current starting frontcourt, be it program building or current success, I'd be more OK with it. And if there was any pipeline coming in whereby it wasn't plainly obvious that we are going to be in the exact same spot w/r/t frontcourt next year, I'd be more OK with it. But neither of these things hold true, so I just don't see the value of wasting this year - where the upside is what, 1 or 2 ACC wins? - in the name of not wanting to overwhelm the frosh. There literally couldn't be any less pressure, both from a program expectations perspective after Friday, and from an "outside coverage" perspective given how little anyone pays attention to the team at this point.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:39 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:There's a downside to maximizing freshman minutes - it can be soul crushing and you may never get them back.

Certainly. And there's a risk/reward component here. I just think that risk is worth the reward of not flushing 2017/2018 down the toilet before it even begins. And I think thats something that can probably be better assessed 6 weeks from now after we get through the shitty part of the schedule - if its a disaster and not getting better, sure, throw Tava/Owens to the ACC wolves.

I think if there was any value in the current starting frontcourt, be it program building or current success, I'd be more OK with it. And if there was any pipeline coming in whereby it wasn't plainly obvious that we are going to be in the exact same spot w/r/t frontcourt next year, I'd be more OK with it. But neither of these things hold true, so I just don't see the value of wasting this year - where the upside is what, 1 or 2 ACC wins? - in the name of not wanting to overwhelm the frosh. There literally couldn't be any less pressure, both from a program expectations perspective after Friday, and from an "outside coverage" perspective given how little anyone pays attention to the team at this point.

If you were the coach and another 0-18 gets you fired, you might look at things differently.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:42 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

If you were the coach and another 0-18 gets you fired, you might look at things differently.

If you were the coach and another 0-18 gets you fired, and then you played the "seniors" and lost to Nicholls, you might be searching for something, ANYTHING, to make that 0-18 less inevitable.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:43 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

If you were the coach and another 0-18 gets you fired, and then you played the "seniors" and lost to Nicholls, you might be searching for something, ANYTHING, to make that 0-18 less inevitable.

Who are you advocating playing instead of Owens?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:57 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

Who are you advocating playing instead of Owens?

I mean, of course thats the issue. Sagay is probably the best immediate replica of what you're hoping for (athleticism and energy, which on a team thats supposed to want to run, should lead to some productivity). There's also likely some circumstances where you might play small with Chatman and Turner at the 3/4. I think the bottom line of what I'm saying is I would be making getting guys like Chatman, Sagay, Popovic and Reyes whatever you think the "max" workload they can handle in our frontcourt over playing Jeffers and Tava with Owens as the direct backup there for the majority of the game. I haven't seen enough of Jeffers to know he's a complete waste of time, and I know Owens has his energy/leadership role (a role that I think ideally is a 10-12 min/night role), but I just don't see what playing an undersized, underathletic, underskilled Connor Tava for as long as it takes for him to pick up 5 fouls is going to do for us this year or into the future.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:03 pm

Unless you play Turner at the 4, which is dumb, the other alternatives are upperclassmen or graduate students. Most of the ready to play youngsters are PGs and wings.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:40 am

I look fwd to being one of 50 ppl at today's game.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:43 pm

WHO'S RUNNING AROUND LIKE A CHICKEN WITH ITS HEAD CUT OFF NOW EPSTEIN?

Sagay for president!

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:39 pm

Nasty Nik Popovic putting the team on his back.

Tava plays with way too much confidence for someone of such limited ability.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Nasty Nik Popovic putting the team on his back.

I'm willing to give Tava time, he is coming off of a year of not playing. I don't think he is going to be a world beater, but he has already shown improvement in 3 games (albeit it from a very low starting point in game 1).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:17 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Nasty Nik Popovic putting the team on his back.

I'm willing to give Tava time, he is coming off of a year of not playing. I don't think he is going to be a world beater, but he has already shown improvement in 3 games (albeit it from a very low starting point in game 1).

Tava is atrocious. Like combining the athleticism of Caudill and the basketball IQ of Odio into one really shitty player. He needs to not play anymore, like at all.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:23 am

1. The opponent was somewhere in between UMDES and Nichols.
2. The starts we have to games are terrible we look like a mess during the first 5-6 minutes.
3. The FT Shooting is still ridiculous.
4. Popovic has some serious ability. Sure he looks goofy at times but he's very skilled.
5. Sagay also looked very good, his ability would translate to ACC play.
6. I still don't like the substitutions by JC way too much subbing.

Still don't think we played very well but it was nice to see some development from Sagay and Popovic. Score was way close than the game since BC sort of lost focused.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:25 am

Sagay looks like an ACC quality athlete and he's game is more developed than I would have thought. He'll need time to put it all together though.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum