Article on Popovic

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Article on Popovic

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:47 am

long article on TOS: https://bostoncollege.rivals.com/news/w ... a-popovic-

Who is Nikola Popovic?

Zack Spears | EagleAction.com Basketball Analyst

Nikola Popovic has always been somewhat of a mystery to the Boston College Eagle fans. With little to no film out there on the Serbian born player, most of his evaluations have spread via word of mouth, like an old tall tale.

So I took it upon myself to try and find out who this guy really is and what kind of player Boston College was getting. I spent the day Saturday with he and a couple of his teammates, Ty Graves and Kyran Bowman.

First things first, Popovic wanted to set the story straight on what to call him, “call me Nik… or Nikola,” he demanded. “I hate that people call me the ‘Niko’ name… it makes me sound soft.”

Upon Popovic proclaiming what to call him, Bowman and Graves let out echoing chuckles across the locker room as he finished his statement. Popovic was seated across the room in a chair directly in front of his locker, looking up from his Android phone that he hates (“the videos on it are so blurry, I need an iPhone.”) in a state of confusion directly at his teammates laughing at something he was so worked up about.

“Man, just because it has an ‘O’ at the end of it doesn’t make it a bad thing,” Graves explained to the 6-foot-11 newcomer. Bowman chimed in, “Yeah bro... Have you never heard of Rico Suave? You can be Niko Suave!”

Popovic, a bit confused began to search around the locker room to see how the American’s in the room that got the reference took the statements from the two fellow freshmen. As he saw everyone else in the room light up and chuckle he replied, “You know what? Maybe it isn’t so bad. I should think about it.”

Second thing, Nik is very aware of the criticism that has come against himself and the Eagles since he signed with the program. “I see what all the fans have said about my game,” he said standing at the free throw line on Saturday.

“They think I’m soft, or that I am just a typical Euro player that can only do one thing, just a shooter,” the new Eagle stated. “I even saw where a BC fan came to one of my games last season in Florida and I was in serious foul trouble after just a few minutes and he went back and told everyone I was no good,” he finished the thought with a laugh then paused and stated, “what kind of uneducated fan of the sport is that? See a player one time and for a maybe combined 12 minutes then come to the conclusion that he’s just a bad player? That just doesn’t make sense to me.”

His teammate Graves told me later in the day, “While getting to know Nik you can clearly see he has a humongous chip on his shoulder. It comes from proving everyone wrong his entire life and having to overcome so many obstacles to just get where he is today.”

Bowman added, “The doubt towards he and his game doesn’t affect him. It’s nothing new to him.”

Popovic concluded, “You can look at my stats, that was my worst game of the year and lowest minutes played.” Suddenly a smirk peaks through his sternness as his cheeks rise up, “but to be honest, it’s the referee’s fault. They were all bad calls, I never foul,” Popovic barely could finish his joke as Graves and Bowman erupted in laughter with him.

“I can’t be THAT bad… I played on my country's national team,” Popovic said. Nik helped lead his Serbian team in 2014 with an average of 8 points per game and 5 boards. Popovic starred in a win against United Arab Emirates, going 13-of-16 from the field on his way to 26 points and 14 rebounds in the win. When asked about that game, “Yea, they couldn’t stop me. I did what I wanted in the post and away from it.”

“That game wasn’t even the best thing I took away from Nationals. It was how I played against Diamond Stone and Harry Giles on the USA team.” Nik added, “I made some plays on defense against the two of them and did some nice things.” Popovic helped hold the future top player in the 2016 class, Giles to only 10 points as well as 2016 NBA Draft pick, Stone to just 12.

“Everyone will see what kind of a player I am soon enough,” Nik said. “They’ve got four years of watching me.”

Third thing, how will Nik get things done when on the floor? All along we’ve read contradicting reports that Popovic is a just simply a skilled perimeter player with a smooth jump shot. We’ve also heard that he is strictly a back to the basket player that is limited to playing around the hoop due to his limited offensive skill set.

“He can score however you want him to” Graves told me.

“It all depends on what the defense is giving me,” Popovic described on how he plans his offensive attack. “If it’s a bigger guy I like to have him out away from the basket, if he’s a smaller or doesn’t have very good feet then we are going down into the post,” Popovic said. “Then we’ll see what he’s got,” Nik said confidently.

Popovic has gained nearly 30 pounds since arriving on campus. Tipping the scale at just over 240-pounds now halfway through the summer and measuring in at every bit of 6-foot-11, he’s much bigger and stronger than he’s ever been. All of which will help him on the floor right away. “He’s so much more powerful with everything he does now,” Graves stated. “He’s explosive off of the floor.”

Fourth thing, who does Nik play like? This is a common question in sports. We are always looking to compare players to one another. An easy way to start the comparison process is to ask the player who they think their game is alike.

Most guys will tell you a player that is a typically a pretty good comparison, but while also tempering down their skill level compared to that player. For example, Bowman states he plays like Russell Westbrook to a certain extent, he'll tell you it's mainly because of the mentality that they both play with and how they both rely on their athleticism to make things happen. Bowman raved about Westbrook’s vision, his defense, and Westbrook’s much more dangerous offensive game than his own right now.

When Popovic was asked about who he thinks he plays like, he didn’t answer with other past Serbian basketball greats like Vlade Divac, Peja Stojakovic, Nikola Jokic, or Darko Milicic. Nik’s answer seemed simple and easy for him, “Tim Duncan” he answered quickly then pounded two quick dribbles away and soared above the rim for a two handed dunk.

Graves explained quickly, “Nik doesn’t quite understand yet that in America you’ll get roasted by the media for comparing yourself to a Hall of Famer.”

Popovic somewhat understood the American reasoning for that once it was explained to him and gave it another shot. “Kevin Durant then”, as laughter began to come out of Powers Gymnasium by everyone around that could hear his new comparison.

“That’s kind of the same thing Nik, he’ll be a Hall of Famer and he’s one of the best in the game right now,” Bowman told his teammate.

“Ok fine then, Pau Gasol. But I think I’m a better shooter from three,” said Nik.

That opened another conversation up between everyone around, if Gasol was a future Hall of Famer or not. The consensus was split on that.

These kids are fun, everything is said in an effort to have a good time and laughter is constantly flowing not only between these three guys, but the entire team when they are all together.

So who exactly is Nikola Popovic? (Also known as Nik, Niko, and Niko Suave) “He’s one of the funniest guys I’ve been around,” Graves said.

“He has a great personality and he’s always up to something,” Bowman said with a smile.

“Nik’s one of the hardest workers we have on the team. He never misses anything and gets along with everyone,” head basketball strength coach Jordan Stanley said. “His results speak for themselves.”

At some point Saturday afternoon Graves and Bowman were putting on a shooting display from out along the three point line. I thought it would be great footage to get the two new guards trying to out duel each other from the perimeter. In order to get the best video footage possible, I placed myself on the opposite side of the rim from the two shooters, just outside the block to the right of the rim.

Working to ensure that I got the best possible video of the shot leaving their hands while also going into the net I was totally focused and lost track of Mr. Personality, Popovic.

It was only when Graves and Bowman picked up their dribbles and their eyes widened and began to bust out laughing that I felt the 6-foot-11 mammoth sky above me for a dunk, as I turned and looked up I could only imagine I was looking up with the same feeling of embarrassment that the NBA’ers of the 1990’s did as they ended up on posters in my childhood bedroom as Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Penny Hardaway, and Shaq skied above them for picture perfect, iconic dunks.

Luckily for me, Popovic’s knee caught my right shoulder blade and he eased off on the dunk and landed effortlessly on his two feet and went instantly into a euphoric belly laugh along with Graves and Bowman.

Nik quickly came over and extended his hand as if to apologize; as our hands met he pulled me in and said, “I can’t dunk on you. You’d write only bad things about me for the next four years.”If only the NBA’ers on those posters had been so lucky.

So… this is Nikola Popovic, the 6-foot-11, 242-pound forward that can do it all on offense, defend at the rim, rebound, and get out run as well as anyone his size. He is the prototype forward for basketball in this new era of hoops. But even more than that, he is everything you want in a kid and a student. He is, like the others in the 2016 signing class, the total package when you talk about a 'student-athlete'.

Welcome to the new age of Boston College basketball.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Article on Popovic

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:56 am

Yeah, this kid definitely reads the board.

:popcorn
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:49 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Yeah, this kid definitely reads the board.

:popcorn

Pen name for lde probably
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:55 pm

Not sure we really said anything bad about him on here, just that we never heard of him. People have been pretty high on the other guys in this class, generally speaking.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Someone on EA said they saw him play and wasn't impressed.

From a 30 second video against no one I am very intrigued. The fact that he's 6'11 and has skill like that bodes well. Being 240 lbs now also helps.

I do think this team has upside, but the competition they play against is a major problem.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:07 pm

Upside = healthy Clifford
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:12 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Upside = healthy Clifford

Not a bad comparison. Think Popovic has a better outside game
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:51 pm

6-11 240lb is a lot better than the rail skinny kid i thought he was. On paper it doesnt look the best class but if Sagay can figure out the game of basketball in a year or two with some coaching the 2016 class could be a good one. We all know about the two guards but these big guys have some potential.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Return to Conte Forum