Jamie Dixon to TCU?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Jamie Dixon to TCU?

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:03 pm

did pitt move to the mac? i'd figure us to the mac before pitt
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:23 pm

linking that thread is going to send me down a rabbit hole of greatness for the next 30 minutes...up there with NO's on the addazio train thread

also i think i / others have said this here, but wright was willing & interesting in coming, we didnt cut the check.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:24 pm

i think i need to list the names i come across in that thread moj mentioned so he could be right
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:27 pm

shaka smart
ben howland
amaker
mark few
greg marshall
jeff capel
mike lonergan
mike hopkins

and oh boy was i drinking the masters kool aid back then

embarassingcommavegarage {l Wrote}:I don't think he's going to make a mediocre hire.

I'm expecting good things.

And I'm not even fully on the adaziani train yet.

Lets be real here - master has done everything that could have been expected of him so far.

1. Needed to fire football coach. Did it.
2. Needed a replacement to succeed. Got him.
3. Needed to fire the basketball coach. Did it.

Non hiring firing related:
Engaged with alums via town halls.
Always willing to speak with people at games, events, etc.
Always responsive to emails / feedback.

And FWIW, now former players (recent grads) speak incredibly highly of him.

im only on page 2
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:28 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:also i think i / others have said this here, but wright was willing & interesting in coming, we didnt cut the check.

I've certainly said this before, this is bullshit. It may be "true" to the extent that if we offered some additional dollars to his current salary followed by no increase from Villanova he would have come here, but that doesn't change anything because there is zero chance the latter would occur even if the prior did.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:36 pm

update:

shaka smart
ben howland
amaker
mark few
greg marshall
jeff capel
mike lonergan
mike hopkins
tom crean
Pelfrey whoever that is
Dan Dakich
Cooley
Masiello
Lonergan
Jones
Coen
O'Shea
Schmidt
archie miller
Pat Skerry
Dawkins
Tom Moore
Paulsen

just hit this gem

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:It's on Donahue to bring in a S&C coach...nothing to do with BC being cheap.

Is it?

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:The S&C argument is dumb. There are clear rules on which coaches and how many GAs can work with the team and when. Football's schedule and roster size is the only one that justifies a dedicated S&C coach.

also just hit the walter mccarty and riley skinner part
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:46 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:linking that thread is going to send me down a rabbit hole of greatness for the next 30 minutes...up there with NO's on the addazio train thread

also i think i / others have said this here, but wright was willing & interesting in coming, we didnt cut the check.

I skimmed it and still spent an hour in there.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:linking that thread is going to send me down a rabbit hole of greatness for the next 30 minutes...up there with NO's on the addazio train thread

I skimmed it and still spent an hour in there.

i spent 45 min and only got to page 20
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:46 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:also i think i / others have said this here, but wright was willing & interesting in coming, we didnt cut the check.

I've certainly said this before, this is bullshit. It may be "true" to the extent that if we offered some additional dollars to his current salary followed by no increase from Villanova he would have come here, but that doesn't change anything because there is zero chance the latter would occur even if the prior did.

For a little over $3 million per year, the current assistant budget and some leeway with recruiting, Wright would be the HC at BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:27 pm

Now that Dixon is officially leaving, I wonder who Pitt will hire. I bet they will spend some ACC money and make a run at a decent name. But, if they miss out, I wouldn't be surprised if they look at Pat Skerry as he used to be an assistant there.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:15 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

For a little over $3 million per year, the current assistant budget and some leeway with recruiting, Wright would be the HC at BC.

No, no he wouldn't be. Regardless of what CAG told you while giving you a tweeze-job in the EO section.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:37 am

Pitt hired Kevin Stallings from Vandy. That's random as hell. There must be another Eddie Fogler out there, I guess.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:51 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Pitt hired Kevin Stallings from Vandy. That's random as hell. There must be another Eddie Fogler out there, I guess.

I have family who went to Vandy and they were talking last week that folks there thought Stallings would be retiring.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Pitt hired Kevin Stallings from Vandy. That's random as hell. There must be another Eddie Fogler out there, I guess.

I have family who went to Vandy and they were talking last week that folks there thought Stallings would be retiring.

I see having a finger to the pulse of the coaching scene runs in the HJS family

On the plus side, maybe if we're patient enough Fogler will screw up enough ACC programs that we can have a winning season again!
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:13 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

On the plus side, maybe if we're patient enough Fogler will screw up enough ACC programs that we can have a winning season again!

From Jeff Goodman's article:
"There was speculation that Vanderbilt was expected to sever ties with Stallings, but he was able to get another job before a decision was made about his future with the help of Todd Turner, the former Vandy athletic director who hired him. Turner now runs a search firm called Collegiate Sports Associates that has been retained by Pittsburgh to help with the search."
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

From Jeff Goodman's article:
"There was speculation that Vanderbilt was expected to sever ties with Stallings, but he was able to get another job before a decision was made about his future with the help of Todd Turner, the former Vandy athletic director who hired him. Turner now runs a search firm called Collegiate Sports Associates that has been retained by Pittsburgh to help with the search."

Can someone explain these search firms? What value do they actually provide?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Can someone explain these search firms? What value do they actually provide?

They are essentially NCAA's version of executive search firms. But, like everything that involves college athletics, it is a more expensive, less effective incarnation.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Can someone explain these search firms? What value do they actually provide?

They are essentially NCAA's version of executive search firms. But, like everything that involves college athletics, it is a more expensive, less effective incarnation.

I think Fogler is leading Vandys new search
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:36 pm

A search firm provides some value if your AD is a moron. Because most searches are in a tight timeline (less than two weeks), there is a lot of background checking and coordination going on. However, a good AD should know if there is a chance he needs to replace a coach well before the season ends. And a good AD should have a semi-screened list well before a coach leaves or needs to be fired.

But these search firms are a joke. They didn't find that Eddie Jordan and Steve Masiello didn't have degrees. That's one of the easiest things to do. All you have to do is call their supposed alma mater and ask if the person is a grad.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:03 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:A search firm provides some value if your AD is a moron. Because most searches are in a tight timeline (less than two weeks), there is a lot of background checking and coordination going on. However, a good AD should know if there is a chance he needs to replace a coach well before the season ends. And a good AD should have a semi-screened list well before a coach leaves or needs to be fired.

But these search firms are a joke. They didn't find that Eddie Jordan and Steve Masiello didn't have degrees. That's one of the easiest things to do. All you have to do is call their supposed alma mater and ask if the person is a grad.

I believe I've read that a search firm aided in Miami hiring Larranga, so I'm not sure if it's a universally bad result. I don't know if it was a Fogleresque have the search firm do everything situation. I also think the search firm in the USF hiring may have been the one who caught the Masiello lack of degree before they made the hire, so while it would have been better earlier they may not have been to blame, not sure.

I any event they seem to have an overwhelmingly poor record overall.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Logitano on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:41 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:A search firm provides some value if your AD is a moron. Because most searches are in a tight timeline (less than two weeks), there is a lot of background checking and coordination going on. However, a good AD should know if there is a chance he needs to replace a coach well before the season ends. And a good AD should have a semi-screened list well before a coach leaves or needs to be fired.

I believe I've read that a search firm aided in Miami hiring Larranga, so I'm not sure if it's a universally bad result. I don't know if it was a Fogleresque have the search firm do everything situation. I also think the search firm in the USF hiring may have been the one who caught the Masiello lack of degree before they made the hire, so while it would have been better earlier they may not have been to blame, not sure.

I any event they seem to have an overwhelmingly poor record overall.

According to this quote it is not clear who ran the final background check but Masiello was definitely not vetted for this basic requirement until the process was all but finished:

During the search for a new men's basketball coach, an agreement in principle was reached by USF and candidate Steve Masiello," USF said in a statement released Wednesday. "The agreement was pending a verification of credentials. Through the verification process it was determined the candidate's credentials could not be substantiated and therefore he did not meet the requirements for the position. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:59 pm

Kevin Stallings introductory presser is the biggest train wreck I've ever seen.

I suggest you watch the media Q&A
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:18 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I think Fogler is leading Vandys new search

CONFIRMED!
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... head-coach

Btw... really enjoyed this article on Zach Spiker (who did a great job turning around USMA).
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/col ... cking.html
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:57 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I think Fogler is leading Vandys new search

CONFIRMED!
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... head-coach

Btw... really enjoyed this article on Zach Spiker (who did a great job turning around USMA).
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/col ... cking.html

But for the association with Coach Nahue, spiker seems like a great coach.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum