Next Sunday's Globe

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Next Sunday's Globe

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Admissions are clearly easier there

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Ben Roethlisberger on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Admissions are clearly easier there

You're saying that because they are all scantily dressed blondes and it makes them look like they are promiscuous or "easy."

I agree with your presumption by the way. Just look at these 6 girls I partied with one night.

I assure you there are only six. There are NOT seven.
Ben Roethlisberger
n00b

Postby bcmurph on Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:02 pm

3-1-7
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby Snooks Kelly on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:17 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:Reserve your copy now. There will be some very interesting reading. Should be quite provocative.

The article is up - nothing we ddidn't know.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/ ... story.html
Snooks Kelly
n00b

Postby gamer5252 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:21 pm

With all due respect to LDE, that was a pretty vanilla piece...it really just stated the obvious and I thought it was fair towards Father Leahy... That's what happens when your football and basketball teams are in the shit...I have confidence in Christian that he will get it turned around.. And I think Addazio will be back to 500 by next season... Addzio's handling of QB's is rediculous though... he was so lucky Murphy came here...
gamer5252
n00b

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:31 pm

gamer5252 {l Wrote}:With all due respect to LDE, that was a pretty vanilla piece...it really just stated the obvious and I thought it was fair towards Father Leahy... That's what happens when your football and basketball teams are in the shit...I have confidence in Christian that he will get it turned around.. And I think Addazio will be back to 500 by next season... Addzio's handling of QB's is rediculous though... he was so lucky Murphy came here...

The race thing was stupid. Wasn't Williams considered for AD when Bates was hired? If the search function worked, I think you'd see me ripping his candidacy.

Outside of that, Hohler impressively blamed the BOT, Leahy, GDF and Bates and mocked the jobs of Don and Spaz. That's more than I could've hoped for.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:47 pm

Globe correspondent Mark Blaudschun contributed to this report. Bob Hohler can be reached at robert.hohler@globe.com.

Presented without comment.
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:48 pm

Snooks Kelly {l Wrote}:
longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:Reserve your copy now. There will be some very interesting reading. Should be quite provocative.

The article is up - nothing we ddidn't know.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/ ... story.html

Worth the read, but nothing to get worried about. Overall, I agree it is pretty tame.
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:58 pm

“What BC is going through is no different from the Red Sox and Patriots went through for generations,’’ DiSchino said. “As soon as they brought in the right management teams, they started winning championships.’’

Exactly, we need to lose Bates when is contract is up and bring in the right management team.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:31 pm

gamer5252 {l Wrote}:With all due respect to LDE, that was a pretty vanilla piece...it really just stated the obvious and I thought it was fair towards Father Leahy... That's what happens when your football and basketball teams are in the shit...I have confidence in Christian that he will get it turned around.. And I think Addazio will be back to 500 by next season... Addzio's handling of QB's is rediculous though... he was so lucky Murphy came here...

What does that even mean "he was lucky that Murphy came here" ?? You think that would have changed anything had Wade played as a True Freshman ? Addazio would have gotten a pass for that year and last year assuming Wade still got hurt (one for having to play a true freshman and the other for having a QB, who would then have had a year of experience, getting injured). Addazio still wouldn't have been fired, regardless of record, had Murphy come here or not. For everyone that whines that Addazio can't "develop" a QB, you have to give him credit for what he did with Murphy in 1 year (a guy who couldn't throw and played about 4 SEC games).

I said it in the other board, but this article wasn't earth shattering as LDE had warned. I thought it was very fair, and hopefully causes some change in the administration, especially with the BOT. I didn't realize Barbour was out of the picture either. Hopefully the BOT gets more involved like the article pointed out in regards to other school's boards having athletics committees, additional leadership is definitely needed.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Didn't seem to rip BC as much as just state the obvious. But all that needed to be said.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:05 pm

was interesting that coach thin skin was quoted about his demeanor on the sideline
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:06 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
What does that even mean "he was lucky that Murphy came here" ?? You think that would have changed anything had Wade played as a True Freshman ? Addazio would have gotten a pass for that year and last year assuming Wade still got hurt (one for having to play a true freshman and the other for having a QB, who would then have had a year of experience, getting injured). Addazio still wouldn't have been fired, regardless of record, had Murphy come here or not. For everyone that whines that Addazio can't "develop" a QB, you have to give him credit for what he did with Murphy in 1 year (a guy who couldn't throw and played about 4 SEC games).

I said it in the other board, but this article wasn't earth shattering as LDE had warned. I thought it was very fair, and hopefully causes some change in the administration, especially with the BOT. I didn't realize Barbour was out of the picture either. Hopefully the BOT gets more involved like the article pointed out in regards to other school's boards having athletics committees, additional leadership is definitely needed.

The Murphy addition was a good move by Daz no question. But with a year of Towles in 2016, Daz could go into his 5th year without a qb that has any real game experience. Whose fault will that be? If that happens, in what year of Daz can we expect to see a capable starter groomed by this staff, 6, 7? I ask because I don't see Wade improving by sitting on the bench behind Towles. I hope it truly will be an open competition for the starting qb this year and Wade wins out.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby longdistanceeagle on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:17 pm

Sorry to get you all worked up. The people I spoke to didn't know any specifics; they were guessing (anticipating) based on the author, his past work, and some of the questions he asked. The staff thought it was going to be a hatchet job, they just did not know who might be attacked. The administration had them all geared up. I can tell you for a fact JC only spoke with him for 10 minutes. He told me he didn't know where it was going.
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:25 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

The Murphy addition was a good move by Daz no question. But with a year of Towles in 2016, Daz could go into his 5th year without a qb that has any real game experience. Whose fault will that be? If that happens, in what year of Daz can we expect to see a capable starter groomed by this staff, 6, 7? I ask because I don't see Wade improving by sitting on the bench behind Towles. I hope it truly will be an open competition for the starting qb this year and Wade wins out.

I completely agree with you, and I don't think that Addazio is going to just let Wade sit and rot behind Towles (I don't see him being that stupid). My only question was to your comment on Murphy and how it was "lucky" to have him. In the grand scheme of things, Addazio is in same spot with job safety (the diff likely being less career wins for a QB with some exp). You have to give Addazio/staff credit for how they developed Murphy in one year, which leaves me at least some optimism that they can do something with Wade in a short period. I think Addazio rolled the dice last year (not getting 5th year and starting Wade), to have a situation setting up an experienced Wade exactly as you stated above, but with it backfiring because of injury and his job on the line, he had to do something to win next year.

The other thing that has to be kept in mind with re: to Wade, is he will (hopefully) only be a RS Soph next year (should get medical RS) and Towles playing will go a long way in fixing the year gap at the QB position. That would leave him in a very similar situation to many of the QBs of the TOB era (starting 2 years after a RS and a few years in program, with a year under Loeffler in his offense). Every QB is going to go into a year without major starting experience, its just what happens, hopefully Addazio can get him meaningful snaps this year to speed up next years learning curve.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:31 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

I completely agree with you, and I don't think that Addazio is going to just let Wade sit and rot behind Towles (I don't see him being that stupid). My only question was to your comment on Murphy and how it was "lucky" to have him. In the grand scheme of things, Addazio is in same spot with job safety (the diff likely being less career wins for a QB with some exp). You have to give Addazio/staff credit for how they developed Murphy in one year, which leaves me at least some optimism that they can do something with Wade in a short period. I think Addazio rolled the dice last year (not getting 5th year and starting Wade), to have a situation setting up an experienced Wade exactly as you stated above, but with it backfiring because of injury and his job on the line, he had to do something to win next year.

The other thing that has to be kept in mind with re: to Wade, is he will (hopefully) only be a RS Soph next year (should get medical RS) and Towles playing will go a long way in fixing the year gap at the QB position. That would leave him in a very similar situation to many of the QBs of the TOB era (starting 2 years after a RS and a few years in program, with a year under Loeffler in his offense). Every QB is going to go into a year without major starting experience, its just what happens, hopefully Addazio can get him meaningful snaps this year to speed up next years learning curve.

I didn't make the lucky comment about Murphy, the other poster did.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby Iggle on Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:05 pm

The sideways bar chart used to show winning % is a stunningly stupid way to display that data
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Waste of bandwidth. This is only news to people who were never going to pay attention to begin with.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:50 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:Sorry to get you all worked up. The people I spoke to didn't know any specifics; they were guessing (anticipating) based on the author, his past work, and some of the questions he asked. The staff thought it was going to be a hatchet job, they just did not know who might be attacked. The administration had them all geared up. I can tell you for a fact JC only spoke with him for 10 minutes. He told me he didn't know where it was going.

First... Kudos for breaking news of the article. It made for just about the most entertaining sports week on this board since the week after Daz's game against Wake.

Second... it turns out we know why the administration was so concerned... because THEY were the ones who (rightfully) got skewered.

Third... I for one am glad the coaches weren't ripped. I don't know if either Daz or JC are part of the solution. But, they sure as shit are not the ones who created this problem.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:17 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I second what HJS just said. Can't believe I just posted that

Gurkle gurkle!
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:07 am

Seriously, any one that gives a fuck about that article should die.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:34 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

The members of the staff that worked wonders with Murphy are no longer working for BC. Based on watching addaziani handling qbs last year it was quite clear he had nothing to do with Murphy's improvements. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:08 am

Leahy not interviewing for the article annoys me
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:23 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:The members of the staff that worked wonders with Murphy are no longer working for BC. Based on watching addaziani handling qbs last year it was quite clear he had nothing to do with Murphy's improvements. :ace

What did you really expect him to do with the QBs on the roster last year ? He gave the 2 on scholarship a chance to win the job (on the fly) and then settled on the best one (Fadule) who was a walk on. Trying to take anything from last year is just dumb. I love the people that complain that Addazio can't develop talent, then point to the coordinators as the ones who developed the ones who actually have had success. Day may be gone, but you can argue that they upgraded in terms of having a QB coach who can develop talent, and has a much better resume over time (hell Loeffler basically got a TE drafted as a QB in the NFL in Logan Thomas).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:43 am

Ryan Day, ha. That's funny.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:00 pm

It being front page above the fold was surprising to me. Didn't even have to go into the sports section
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:54 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:The members of the staff that worked wonders with Murphy are no longer working for BC. Based on watching addaziani handling qbs last year it was quite clear he had nothing to do with Murphy's improvements. :ace

What did you really expect him to do with the QBs on the roster last year ? He gave the 2 on scholarship a chance to win the job (on the fly) and then settled on the best one (Fadule) who was a walk on. Trying to take anything from last year is just dumb. I love the people that complain that Addazio can't develop talent, then point to the coordinators as the ones who developed the ones who actually have had success. Day may be gone, but you can argue that they upgraded in terms of having a QB coach who can develop talent, and has a much better resume over time (hell Loeffler basically got a TE drafted as a QB in the NFL in Logan Thomas).

Jesus couldn't have made Flutie into an ACC QB
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:00 pm

The importance of this article is going to come in two ways 1) it will hopefully embarrass Leahy and the BoT so much that they are forced to act. I hope this is the reaction and not what I expect the reaction to be and that is them acting like petulant children, saying the Globe doesn't know anything, hanging their hats on $200mm worth of long overdue facilities upgrades and continuing with business as usual. b) Hopefully this article stirs the casual fan and mildly detached alum into action. It astonishes me sometimes how little some of my friends and BC acquaintances know about the state of our sports programs. Most seem to think the teams are stuck in stasis from when they left the school. Ideally, this article will get those fans to realize the state of athletics today and get them to pick up the banner that we, as the lunatic fringe, have been carrying for so long.

Generally, there was nothing in there that surprised me. The race aspect seemed unnecessary but whatever. But I expected it to be preaching to the choir here. We'll see what happens next.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:15 pm

if people thought that was a "Major hit job" or something, they need to get out of 6-7 figure paying fields.

i think all of us here (depending on the tax bracket in your EO name tag) face a lot more serious repercussions when we suck so badly at our job, not simply an article laying out the suckitude

it infuriates me that brad bates makes $700,000 a year.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Seriously, any one that gives a fuck about that article should die.

Drunk teddy!!

Seriously, what the fuck does that mean?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum