Next Sunday's Globe

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Next Sunday's Globe

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:19 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:HomoJS and 22 really nail this on the head for me...what reason do we have to believe that this takedown piece will do anything to mobilize the BOT.

This will fall on the deaf ears of those who make decisions and the sun will rise on Monday. And Leahy will be President, Bates will still be AD, Daz and JC will still have jobs.

Because this all embarrasses them. And it should.

Shit wearing BC stuff around Boston embarrasses me lately, sick and tired to listening to random comments from random idiots.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:14 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Also, the detective work in this thread is of a quality I haven't seen since HJS solved the marathon bombings on this board.

I can already taste the disappointment coming from this board when the three main topics of the article are "green space", "public urination", and "Big East". Add in a few references to all the smaht kids in Boston not being admitted, and the article will prove once again that journalism is dead.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:11 am

The way the announcers on yesterday's game were ripping into BC makes me think maybe JC is the source -- they were very specific about no investment in basketball, that the power gym has to be shared, how they can't show recruits the Conte court b/c the hockey rink is down, admissions is Ivy level -- that sort of thing -- so specific that I can't believe an announcer for a first round beat down took the effort to think those things through without just being told
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:13 am

^ i didnt watch but the admissions are ivy level?

ool.

yeah, rakim and corey raji were debating between BC and Princeton
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:25 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:The way the announcers on yesterday's game were ripping into BC makes me think maybe JC is the source -- they were very specific about no investment in basketball, that the power gym has to be shared, how they can't show recruits the Conte court b/c the hockey rink is down, admissions is Ivy level -- that sort of thing -- so specific that I can't believe an announcer for a first round beat down took the effort to think those things through without just being told

I don't think you need a source as high up as a HC to get that kind of information, hell you can come here or any of the BC websites and figure that out in 10 minutes. Not to mention, Schulman is local and Dorris the lez played down the road, I'm sure they both know plenty of people who can give a relatively informed opinion of the problems at BC.

If JC was in fact a source for this article, and decided to essentially commit career suicide by ripping the school, why would he tell LDE (or anyone) that said article was coming out ? I think the more likel scenario is the Flobe reached out to Batea or Chris Cameron and they alerted the coaches( as has been said), that's all.

Also, in response to what was said on tv yesterday, it's hard to really argue with them, but why does it matter that BC shares an arena with hockey ? Schulman said it like it was a huge indictment against BC, almost every professional basketball team shares an arena with a hockey setup. Obviously the facilities are subpar, but Cpnte being dual purpose and The Power Gym being used by a few sports is towards the bottom of BCs problems at the moment (shit, Dorris' precious Friars have the exact same situation, they share a gym with WBB and Volleyball as well).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:25 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:The way the announcers on yesterday's game were ripping into BC makes me think maybe JC is the source -- they were very specific about no investment in basketball, that the power gym has to be shared, how they can't show recruits the Conte court b/c the hockey rink is down, admissions is Ivy level -- that sort of thing -- so specific that I can't believe an announcer for a first round beat down took the effort to think those things through without just being told

Nailed it. The announcers typically meet with both coaching staffs before the game to help get background.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:54 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

I don't think you need a source as high up as a HC to get that kind of information, hell you can come here or any of the BC websites and figure that out in 10 minutes. Not to mention, Schulman is local and Dorris the lez played down the road, I'm sure they both know plenty of people who can give a relatively informed opinion of the problems at BC.

If JC was in fact a source for this article, and decided to essentially commit career suicide by ripping the school, why would he tell LDE (or anyone) that said article was coming out ? I think the more likel scenario is the Flobe reached out to Batea or Chris Cameron and they alerted the coaches( as has been said), that's all.

Also, in response to what was said on tv yesterday, it's hard to really argue with them, but why does it matter that BC shares an arena with hockey ? Schulman said it like it was a huge indictment against BC, almost every professional basketball team shares an arena with a hockey setup. Obviously the facilities are subpar, but Cpnte being dual purpose and The Power Gym being used by a few sports is towards the bottom of BCs problems at the moment (shit, Dorris' precious Friars have the exact same situation, they share a gym with WBB and Volleyball as well).

Pro teams generally have dedicated practice facilities (Broons notwithstanding) when they share the main arena with ice/circuses/concerts.

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Hoff on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:56 am

I hope LDE is right because that kind of article is badly needed. I heard from a source last night that the article was supposed to be an indictment on BC's lack of commitment to athletics but now has shifted to an indictment on Bates and the coaches. Again, I hope LDE is right and Im 100% wrong
Hoff
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:10 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Pro teams generally have dedicated practice facilities (Broons notwithstanding) when they share the main arena with ice/circuses/concerts.

I completely get that part (I've seen the dedicated buildings around the country, including the UMass building which is brand new and beautiful). My point, and it was poorly worded, was more that I think BC has much larger facility issues than a shared Conte Forum (which Schulman mentioned) and a shared Power Gym (I mean let's face it, JC isn't dealing with much scheduling conflict there, I'm sure he gets what he wants). It doesn't excuse the fact that the power gym is old/dumpy, I'm just saying it's not the most pressing facility issue at BC now.

I think from a basketball perspective, maybe the best bet is hoping that they can incorporate some kind of varsity weight facility and perhaps a wing of the new plex as dedicated basketball facility, because there are very few places on campus for something like what UMass has (just as an ex), to build a dedicTed basketball facility (not to mention the money most likely won't be there, what person in their right mind is donating money to this program right now).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:53 am

Hoff {l Wrote}:I hope LDE is right because that kind of article is badly needed. I heard from a source last night that the article was supposed to be an indictment on BC's lack of commitment to athletics but now has shifted to an indictment on Bates and the coaches. Again, I hope LDE is right and Im 100% wrong

That would be unfortunate (though not surprising as it is already established that Hohler is personification of "you can lead a horse to water..." The coaches have nothing to do with this. They are fine coaches for normal programs. The problem is that BC is in such a terrible state that it needs miracle workers (which usually means breaking the bank... which is something that will NEVER happen so long as Leahy is the president). Bates is definitely a problem because he is an idiot that is Spaz-like in being beyond his depth. But, the real issues that have brought us to this point involve Leahy's ambivalence (some could even say hatred) towards athletics and the Board's failure to oversee.

I've said this many times, but Leahy drove BC to the ACC so there was no motivation to re-invest in athletics. The ACC secured a fixed revenue stream regardless of success... meaning that every dollar spent in the space is essentially a dollar lost.

BTW... by waiting until Sunday, the Globe is missing the boat. Washington Post has already taken on the BB team's futility: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... cc-season/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:59 am

Hoff {l Wrote}:I hope LDE is right because that kind of article is badly needed. I heard from a source last night that the article was supposed to be an indictment on BC's lack of commitment to athletics but now has shifted to an indictment on Bates and the coaches. Again, I hope LDE is right and Im 100% wrong

i hope you're both right.

fuck the school's lack of commitment to athletics, fuck bates for being terrible at his job, fuck the coaches for being in over their heads, and fuck the globe for waiting until sunday to shit on any and/or all of them
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:01 am

That WaPo piece was hardly a hatchet job though, sounded almost like the guy admired the team and coach for persevering.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 am

Admissions is a non-factor.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:23 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:That WaPo piece was hardly a hatchet job though, sounded almost like the guy admired the team and coach for persevering.

Agreed. Not the first to take that angle (Seth Greenberg took it as well on ESPN... announcers apparently took a similar read that BC admin is putting the coaches/players in an impossible position). But, these early pieces kinda condition the market and have the Hohler's piece will likely come off as petty if the focus is crappy on the coaches/players. Accordingly, any hoped change that it would bring about would instead be dismissed as a bias slampiece by a struggling newspaper manufacturing a scandal. What's worse... is that it would me that TRE's expectations would be met.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:29 am

HJS {l Wrote}:...What's worse... is that it would me that TRE's expectations would be met.

which expectation? i'm kinda mo'jing this one
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:30 am

The whole thing is complete horseshit anyway. Everyone knows that the football team will return to 8-5/7-6 shortly and the basketball team will get to 14-17 (5-13) and both programs will return to relative irrelevance. It's an anomaly that will simply draw attention to York winning the title again.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:40 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:^ i didnt watch but the admissions are ivy level?

ool.

I know a recruit who was accepted to a non-revenue sports program who could barely read. This is legit too. The admissions are not ivy league and they are no where close to ivy league. It's time we stop using the myth of epic proportions as justification for sucking. This ain't Harvard or MIT or even a top 3 Nescac school, its more along the lines of UNC and Michigan, both of which seem to have no problems getting talented athletes.

I will hand it to Gene on this though, he did do a great job of selling tall tales about admissions standards to the uninformed public (to put it kindly).

Could we list the Top 3 NESCAC schools?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:43 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The whole thing is complete horseshit anyway. Everyone knows that the football team will return to 8-5/7-6 shortly and the basketball team will get to 14-17 (5-13) and both programs will return to relative irrelevance. It's an anomaly that will simply draw attention to York winning the title again.

It is again this. If you want to return to 10 wins and the NCAAT then make the investment.

Saying the coaches have nothing to do with it is insane by the way. Daz and JC have some responsibility here. I watched our football coach start David Dudeck at WR for 12 games...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:50 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

I'll be honest, the facilities excuse is already starting to run thin with me. I saw so much stupid coaching from Daz and JC this season it was mind boggling. The facilities don't help, but this nonsense that it's the ultimate problem needs to stop. Stop making excuses and fucking win games.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:02 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Saying the coaches have nothing to do with it is insane by the way. Daz and JC have some responsibility here. I watched our football coach start David Dudeck at WR for 12 games...

The current coaches have nothing to do with the depths of futility that BC found itself when it hired them. Daz and JC are perfectly fine coaches who aren't equipped to fully discharge their duty (which is to save the program from the University). Then again, there are only a handful of coaches who could do this... and none of them are willing to work for the relative peanuts that BC offers.

ESPN's video this morning: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:14933928
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:05 pm

If that was a Chipotle reference, then kudos to Dennis Clifford. Otherwise, whatever, graduate faster.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If that was a Chipotle reference, then kudos to Dennis Clifford. Otherwise, whatever, graduate faster.

i read it as "this place has sucked monkeys balls from a basketball perspective but at least i have a group of guys that i could spend time with off the court during my 7 years in chestnut hill"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:24 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If that was a Chipotle reference, then kudos to Dennis Clifford. Otherwise, whatever, graduate faster.

i read it as "this place has sucked monkeys balls from a basketball perspective but at least i have a group of guys that i could spend time with off the court during my 7 years in chestnut hill"

This.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

This.

Then graduate faster.

Comparing his time at BC to an e.coli-ridden burrito would have been epic.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NaturalLight on Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:30 pm

Monday March 14th will have a major press release by BC detailing a $250 million renovation of the Quonset Hut. "Holes in the men's bathroom stalls will be rimmed with duct tape to prevent little scrapes and scratches."
NaturalLight
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:06 pm

NaturalLight {l Wrote}:Monday March 14th will have a major press release by BC detailing a $250 million renovation of the Quonset Hut. "Holes in the men's bathroom stalls will be rimmed with duct tape to prevent little scrapes and scratches."

Bout effing time they take care of those.

Glad to see my letter-writing campaign paid off.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:12 pm

poor tip o'neill and his 5th floor being forgotten yet again
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hinghameagle on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:07 pm

a few things after reading through the posts:

1. If Hoff is correct than the focus of the article will be Bates, Dazz and Christian. There will likely be quotes attributed to Bates, but Dazz and Christian cant say a thing. If they did say something critical, they would be idiots. It will be fun to see the response. I think Bates knows that given what has transpired this year, that this piece is fair game. Christian, I still don't have a read on, I cant tell if he is a hot head or not. Which brings us to the Dazzler. If this article in any way points the finger at him for being a brutal coach or recruiter, he will flip his marbles. He is the thinnest skinned person alive. He also doesn't come across as the brightest guy alive, so it is entirely possible that he responds to the criticism in some public way, which would be great theatre. He is still pissed off about some imaginary articles that he thought were out there criticizing him in the middle of last years melt down. At one of his post game pressers he got super pissed off and essentially told all the writers in the room that he would get the last laugh on them for all the criticism he had taken, when the program had turned around. Nobody could find the existence of even one negative article. If he actually gets called out in this article, he may go off the reservation.

2. As to Leahy and his going unchecked for so long. I don't know him, but assuming that he has had a hand in the deemphasizing of sports, then I want him retired tomorrow. However he is president of Boston College...as in the whole school...not the athletic department. The school has improved in national recognition under his watch, they just raised 100 million dollars..I would guess that outside of athletics he may actually be doing a good job.

3. I doubt the article even gets a mention of the BOT. I wish Hoehler would name them individually though. I want them to take a hit.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:22 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:^ i didnt watch but the admissions are ivy level?

ool.

Are our athletic admissions standards tougher than many ACC schools? Yes, but they are not even close to the same standards as a normal BC student goes through and they are similar to Duke. They are no where close to Ivy League or Ivy League sports. Admissions' biggest concern is that a kid can get by. If any athlete applies with a fourth-grade reading level, he's not getting in. Most coaches know if a kid will get through. I can't think of admissions screwing with a coach on a verbal since Aboushi. And the joke was on the admissions office there, because he went to UVA and managed to stay eligible.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:32 pm

From what I can tell... our Board has only 2 Trustees under 50. One is a priest and one is a chick.

Apparently, GDF has been talking to the press: http://www.repubblica.it/rubriche/la-st ... ref=search
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum