Next Sunday's Globe

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Next Sunday's Globe

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:22 pm

he's got a track record of showing that he really doesn't want a p5 job

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:26 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:A lot of Hohler's hit pieces were done with the help of the BC beat writer at the time, but they usually don't put the beat writer's name on it. That way when the beat writer goes back to his BC sources, he can still be the good guy.

If LDE knows it is coming, my guess is that Christian is serving as a source and throwing people under the bus. If he does do that, he's not very smart. Even if JC thinks Bates is a moron or that the school sucks, a lengthy Globe piece isn't going to change that or help him. If anything one of the first things a new AD is going to do is fire JC. JC's best friend at a Power 5 school is Bates. If JC can't win at BC he's never getting another Power 5 job.

It would be career suicide for JC, but still kind of fun to watch.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:32 pm

I can't possibly imagine that JC would be stupid enough to source this or to tell LDE, who he knows would go blab it on here.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:33 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:A lot of Hohler's hit pieces were done with the help of the BC beat writer at the time, but they usually don't put the beat writer's name on it. That way when the beat writer goes back to his BC sources, he can still be the good guy.

If LDE knows it is coming, my guess is that Christian is serving as a source and throwing people under the bus. If he does do that, he's not very smart. Even if JC thinks Bates is a moron or that the school sucks, a lengthy Globe piece isn't going to change that or help him. If anything one of the first things a new AD is going to do is fire JC. JC's best friend at a Power 5 school is Bates. If JC can't win at BC he's never getting another Power 5 job.

Jim didnt want TCU to go from the mountain west to the Big 12.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:33 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

I 100% think JC and Daz are the sources, but it won't say that in the article. They probably feel as if they don't have the tools to succeed.

This stuff sucks, but BC getting embarrassed in as many places as possible is the only way things are changing.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:35 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I can't possibly imagine that JC would be stupid enough to source this or to tell LDE, who he knows would go blab it on here.

He probably views as it as his last resort. If he can paint BC in a negative light maybe he can spin this disaster as not his fault.

This basketball program is just a total career killer
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:38 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I can't possibly imagine that JC would be stupid enough to source this or to tell LDE, who he knows would go blab it on here.

He probably views as it as his last resort. If he can paint BC in a negative light maybe he can spin this disaster as not his fault.

His only chance to survive this was to hope he didn't get fired (which he wasn't going to be) and then show up next year and actually do his job. Torching the program on the way out is a sure-fire way to be the head assistant at St. Dominick High for the next 20 years
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:40 pm

^^ astute point by ATL btw - and one i hadnt thought about. If LDE is saying it, it means Christian knows its coming, which means he was the one who leaked it.

It'll be very interesting to see what comes out.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:45 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:^^ astute point by ATL btw - and one i hadnt thought about. If LDE is saying it, it means Christian knows its coming, which means he was the one who leaked it.

It'll be very interesting to see what comes out.

That's what I said above. BC knows its coming. The extent to which BC employees are involved is now the mystery.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:47 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I 100% think JC and Daz are the sources, but it won't say that in the article. They probably feel as if they don't have the tools to succeed.

This stuff sucks, but BC getting embarrassed in as many places as possible is the only way things are changing.

i think skinner, spaz and beeker will also have some input into the article if it is a slam piece on buttcut and leahyhoo. i just don't think the article will be a slampiece on buttcut and leahyhoo

mrs. mac wouldn't have "good news from houston"ed us if this didn't make her husband look glowingly awesome and not at all fat or bad at coaching
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

His only chance to survive this was to hope he didn't get fired (which he wasn't going to be) and then show up next year and actually do his job. Torching the program on the way out is a sure-fire way to be the head assistant at St. Dominick High for the next 20 years

What's doing his job next year?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:57 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What's doing his job next year?

I don't care enough.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:59 pm

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:01 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Didn't Bates say in a fairly recent interview that his coaches needed to be given the resources to win? I don't think he elaborated any further than that if I recall. Maybe all three of them, Daz, JC, and buttcut are the sources.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:15 pm

First... I would LOVE for JC to come on record with a hit job. Would be entertaining as all hell. That said, the chance of that happening are about the same as BC winning a game this year against an ACC opponent. It would take BC already firing him or JC already agreeing to another MAC gig. Neither of which is happening.

Second... JC knowing about it doesn't mean he is a source. It just means that he has been warned that a hit-piece is forthcoming. Any AD would warn their coaches about coming bad press simply because it is something they would need to deal with on the recruiting trail.

Finally... while I am unimpressed and underwhelmed by Leahy's handpicked successor to GDF, I generally do not hold the same animus towards JC or Daz. Both, I think, are competent well-respected head coaches. However, I believe both are ill-fits for BC needs in its current depressed state.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:52 pm

so i assume they scheduled the piece to come out on sunday in case bc won a few games in the acct.

no that the season is all over, maybe they can post the article earlier. i'd like to be disappointed sooner.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:21 pm

I have a feeling that this Globe article will disappoint me, and not in the way that the Globe was hoping to disappoint me.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:33 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:I have a feeling that this Globe article will disappoint me, and not in the way that the Globe was hoping to disappoint me.

the rest of the class of 1994 agrees with you
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:44 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:I have a feeling that this Globe article will disappoint me, and not in the way that the Globe was hoping to disappoint me.

Even your girlfriend Nancy?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If its Hohler, it won't be earth shattering and it wont' have much substance.

Is Tito still a drug addict?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:20 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

Even your girlfriend Nancy?

pffft, you voted for her after you banged her on the 50 yard line and got turf burn on your knees and chin (?)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:09 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This. BC deserves every bit of the humiliation it gets for the debacle the athletics department has become.

Looking forward to Bates and whatever flack BC decides to throw to the wolves standing up and trying to spin this garbage.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:47 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This. BC deserves every bit of the humiliation it gets for the debacle the athletics department has become.

Looking forward to Bates and whatever flack BC decides to throw to the wolves standing up and trying to spin this garbage.

Assume for the moment that the media shitstorm doesn't cause the ACC to give us the Temple treatment... which may becoming more and more a bigger assumption. Barring such a catastrophic development, this heightened public outrage is just about the only hope you have for folks asking questions at the BOT level. As I've said many times, Trustees don't take the gig to be criticized. And they sure as shit aren't into being embarrassed. They take the job for their resume and so they feel cool around the alums who wouldn't talk to them back in college. Case in point... marineagle (btw, look at our sports programs since he got involved).

The BOT has simply been delinquent in exercising their fiduciary duties in overseeing athletics. Perhaps, the events of the past couple of weeks will scare these pussies into asking some difficult questions: BC's commitment to sports, Bates' future, Leahy's retirement. I truly think that only a lawsuit or a Swofford threat of expulsion would cause the sea change necessary to shake the Board from its inertia, but... perhaps... there will be a few folks (it doesn't take many) to become vocal after getting shit thrown their way at the Wall Street Council Dinner.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Assume for the moment that the media shitstorm doesn't cause the ACC to give us the Temple treatment... which may becoming more and more a bigger assumption. Barring such a catastrophic development, this heightened public outrage is just about the only hope you have for folks asking questions at the BOT level. As I've said many times, Trustees don't take the gig to be criticized. And they sure as shit aren't into being embarrassed. They take the job for their resume and so they feel cool around the alums who wouldn't talk to them back in college. Case in point... marineagle (btw, look at our sports programs since he got involved).

The BOT has simply been delinquent in exercising their fiduciary duties in overseeing athletics. Perhaps, the events of the past couple of weeks will scare these pussies into asking some difficult questions: BC's commitment to sports, Bates' future, Leahy's retirement. I truly think that only a lawsuit or a Swofford threat of expulsion would cause the sea change necessary to shake the Board from its inertia, but... perhaps... there will be a few folks (it doesn't take many) to become vocal after getting shit thrown their way at the Wall Street Council Dinner.

The worst part about getting raked over the coals in the media, is that in the end, it won't do anything. Nothing that happens in the media is going to all of a sudden make Leahy realize things have to change. As HJS said, the BOT are there to pad their resumes, nobody is going to take this recent attention and do anything (i.e. try to pressure Leahy into retiring). Leahy will never admit failure and will never admit that he has underfunded/deemphasized athletics. In his mind, he thinks that recent facility announcements are something he should be getting massive praise for, even tho it is just bringing BC to the middle of the pack in the ACC (and that is just with football, basketball remains left in the dust). The only solution is to get him out of his role, and this recent shitstorm isn't going to be enough to do that.

On a side note, how is it that the president of a major university can go unchecked for so long ? I would think there would be a better system of checks and balances (i.e. a max term) and a bit more turnover at that position rather than giving it to some priest and letting him keep the gig till he's a senior citizen.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:35 pm

HomoJS and 22 really nail this on the head for me...what reason do we have to believe that this takedown piece will do anything to mobilize the BOT.

This will fall on the deaf ears of those who make decisions and the sun will rise on Monday. And Leahy will be President, Bates will still be AD, Daz and JC will still have jobs.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:51 pm

I hate just about everything that this program has done since around 2010, from changing to uniforms that a small high school would politely decline to sabotaging their own sports program in a gesture of apathy that is almost impressive -- fire will destroy a weak foundation hopefully. For what it's worth, I am not sure that JC is a bad coach, I think he needs higher-ups that give a shit and some more time.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:58 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:HomoJS and 22 really nail this on the head for me...what reason do we have to believe that this takedown piece will do anything to mobilize the BOT.

This will fall on the deaf ears of those who make decisions and the sun will rise on Monday. And Leahy will be President, Bates will still be AD, Daz and JC will still have jobs.

I sit behind a BOT member at Alumni. He is actually from my area (SW CT) and is in a very senior role at a major bank (you can probably figure out who I am talking about). He seems to be very engaged, shows up every week with a large group/family, has a BC wife and 2 or 3 kids that are enrolled or are alums as well. He is exactly the kind of person that you could see having a problem with all of this (normally). Supports the program, very wealthy, in a position of influence. Unfortunately, his personality fits what HJS described almost to a tee, its actually funny. He is active in all the BC Wall Street activities and very active with the University as a whole, but he does not come across as the kind of person to rock the boat at all, and my guess is most of the BOT are just like that (the only difference being, they are not even close to as engaged (with re: to athletics) as he is.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Bunratty on Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:55 am

HJS:
"They take the job for their resume and so they feel cool around the alums who wouldn't talk to them back in college. Case in point... marineagle (btw, look at our sports programs since he got involved)."

Money. marineagle was (and still is) a bigger douche than eaglewings, even though that seems impossible.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Nothing worse than a hack chasing a Pulitzer.

If you believe BC sports coverage can win you a Pulitzer, you are delusional.

If someone at the Globe believes that, then the paper should go out of business (and when it does in a few years, I will dig up this quote an HJS it).
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:07 am

Also, the detective work in this thread is of a quality I haven't seen since HJS solved the marathon bombings on this board.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum