Official fire JC thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official fire JC thread

Postby ILikeBC on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:17 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:JC also has the highest winning percentage in the history of the MAC. In his first year at Ohio they won every conference road game, which is unheard of in any conference.

Great so how does that translate to his success at BC
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:19 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:JC also has the highest winning percentage in the history of the MAC. In his first year at Ohio they won every conference road game, which is unheard of in any conference.

I think his point is, how would whatever was said about Schmidt above translate to winning at BC more or less that JC could in theory.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:41 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:

I think his point is, how would whatever was said about Schmidt above translate to winning at BC more or less that JC could in theory.

It's this.

He's also about to have an 0-18 season at BC, which is also pretty impressive and unheard of.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:46 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Just because, I'll note that St. Bonnies is now 20-7 and is considered to have a 70% chance of making the tourney. They have also won their last 4 against ranked oppoeopponents, including 3 of those on the road. Having given it some thought, Schmidt is now probably too old for this job--I think he is 54--but Jesus Christ how did Bates not hire him over Christian? He was an alum, who would have been dirt cheap and has a better resume than Christian by every objective measure.

I still fail to see the appeal here, short of the fact he went to BC. His resume at both schools is completely underwhelming. His last 3 years before this they finished 11th, 9th and 7th in conference. At least JC won somewhere before this.

You could be right I really don't think it matters who the coach is at this point though. Short of some ridiculous investment of money this program is screwed.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:46 am

Look at what Schmidt inherited and what he has to compete against and look at Christian. Schmidt coaches a small Catholic school in one of the most economically depressed areas of the country. He also took over in the wake of a scandal that almost destroyed the entire school--not the basketball program mind you, but the school. It was on the brink of bankruptcy. He managed to win a conference title at said school despite being in the same conference as teams that have made the Final Four within the past few years (VCU, Mason) and other schools that are traditional basketball powers. He is also in a position to win his second. Before that he took over a terrible Robert Morris program and at least made them respectable within their conference. Christian, in contrast, coached at two traditional powers within the MAC conference and did nothing with them outside of the historical norms for both programs--oh, and he was an absolute disaster at TCU.

Anyway, Schmidt is about to make the NCAA tournament after going 4-0 in his last 4 games against ranked opponents. He also is doing it with significant minutes from two kids from the Boston-area who are objectively better than anyone we have on our roster in either of their classes. That might have something to do with the fact that he was the lead recruiter at Xavier during its rise to national prominence--another objective strength--recruiting ability--he possesses that Christian woefully lacks.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby thebs19 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:28 pm

As the other resident "Bonnies fan" on this board (many family connections prior to myself going to BC, so we have always rooted for the Bonnies in our house and try to catch them when they play locally - A-10 tourney down in AC and now Barclay's, if they play at Rose Hill, etc.), I will point out that Schmidt is no tactical genius. He'd likely frustrate the hell out of the masses as he runs his rotations in true Al Skinner fashion (frosh only play if forced; 7 man rotation is preference, maybe 8 but really only 6 get significant nightly minutes, etc.), makes glaring tactical errors (e.g., in the game against Fordham this year, they were tied with 20-ish seconds left and a 10 second game clock/shot clock differential, and he clearly instructed his team to intentionally use their foul-to-give coming out of a timeout...which let Fordham then hold for the last shot, which luckily rimmed out. It was an absolute WTF moment.) and is really slow to adjust lineups even if his starting 5 aren't working.

That said, he does usually tend to play to his team's strengths rather than try to fit square pegs in round holes and has a nice history of developing obsure/underrecruited big men into positive contributors.

Also, and I know we've discussed this before, you simply cannot judge him on record. Bonnies beat Dayton in Dayton a few weeks back...that was the programs FIRST EVER TRUE ROAD VICTORY over a top 25 team. EVER. I know people remember Bob Lanier and don't think much of the A-10 and therefore believe if a coach is worth a damn, he should be able to consistently win at St. Bona's...but he is presiding over the most consistently "respectable" period of Bona basketball since the 70's, and doing it at a time where the talent and resource gaps between the "haves" and "have nots" has never been wider.

I don't think he's a coach who makes BC a consistent top of the ACC force, but I can almost certainly guarantee he'd have us firmly in Al Skinner land. And the bottoming out probably doesn't happen, as he consistently grabs significant talent out of the JUCO's and transfer world to cover gaps. Case in point: they are losing 2 of their "big 3" after this season (Marcus Posley, a JUCO transfer who started at Ball State and Dion Wright, an undersized 4 who went basically unrecruited out of SoCal...Dudz Lite, essentially), but have 2 transfers (Mobley, the CCSU kid we were trying for, and David Andoh, who was a decent contributor at Liberty at the 4) plus a JUCO kid who redshirted this year (Courtney Stockard) ready to step in so they *don't* lose the momentum this season should be building for that program/community.

This is not the same thing as Jim Christian winning at Ohio, which won both before and now after his tenures, playing for the 1 seed in the MAC currently.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:46 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:As the other resident "Bonnies fan" on this board (many family connections prior to myself going to BC, so we have always rooted for the Bonnies in our house and try to catch them when they play locally - A-10 tourney down in AC and now Barclay's, if they play at Rose Hill, etc.), I will point out that Schmidt is no tactical genius. He'd likely frustrate the hell out of the masses as he runs his rotations in true Al Skinner fashion (frosh only play if forced; 7 man rotation is preference, maybe 8 but really only 6 get significant nightly minutes, etc.), makes glaring tactical errors (e.g., in the game against Fordham this year, they were tied with 20-ish seconds left and a 10 second game clock/shot clock differential, and he clearly instructed his team to intentionally use their foul-to-give coming out of a timeout...which let Fordham then hold for the last shot, which luckily rimmed out. It was an absolute WTF moment.) and is really slow to adjust lineups even if his starting 5 aren't working.

good to know I wasn't the only nexus member at that game a couple of weeks ago.

schmidt certainly didn't impress me at rose hill, I'm no basketball savant but I can't remember seeing a dumber sequence than what you described. I thought I missed something when they went to foul, he didn't even act outraged at it as if he thought it was the right move, very weird.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:53 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:As the other resident "Bonnies fan" on this board (many family connections prior to myself going to BC, so we have always rooted for the Bonnies in our house and try to catch them when they play locally - A-10 tourney down in AC and now Barclay's, if they play at Rose Hill, etc.), I will point out that Schmidt is no tactical genius. He'd likely frustrate the hell out of the masses as he runs his rotations in true Al Skinner fashion (frosh only play if forced; 7 man rotation is preference, maybe 8 but really only 6 get significant nightly minutes, etc.), makes glaring tactical errors (e.g., in the game against Fordham this year, they were tied with 20-ish seconds left and a 10 second game clock/shot clock differential, and he clearly instructed his team to intentionally use their foul-to-give coming out of a timeout...which let Fordham then hold for the last shot, which luckily rimmed out. It was an absolute WTF moment.) and is really slow to adjust lineups even if his starting 5 aren't working.

good to know I wasn't the only nexus member at that game a couple of weeks ago.

schmidt certainly didn't impress me at rose hill, I'm no basketball savant but I can't remember seeing a dumber sequence than what you described. I thought I missed something when they went to foul, he didn't even act outraged at it as if he thought it was the right move, very weird.

It was right out of a timeout, so clearly instructed. I had to explain to a few Bona alums (fiercly loyal/positive fan base for the record) why that was so fucking dumb as they continued to argue with me that it was what you do when you have a foul to give. Uh.

Side note: they had a Bona alum gathering upstairs after that game which I crashed - served bottle beer, some finger foods, etc. The AD (Kenney) and Schmidt came in and addressed the crowd and thanked them for always giving such strong road support and consistently outnumbering home fans at many venues. It was a cool thing for them to do, I thought.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:58 pm

If you go back in this thread you will see that I acknowledge Schmidt's short comings from a tactical perspective and I think the Al analogy is pretty fair (given they were both A-10 Coach of the Year). Schmidt's strength is two-fold: (1) He is very good at recognizing diamond's in the rough and developing them and (2) on the rare occasions where he goes toe-to-toe with big P5 programs he has a surprising level of success (Nelson Kaputo and Matt Mobely transfer, Demeitius Conger, Marquise Simmons and Da'quan Cook).

My only point is that we cheaped out when we hired Christian--a guy who had failed miserably during his only foray into a P5 conference. If we were going to go cheap, we could have had Schmidt which would likely have avoided the current embarrassing shit show.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:37 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:If you go back in this thread you will see that I acknowledge Schmidt's short comings from a tactical perspective and I think the Al analogy is pretty fair (given they were both A-10 Coach of the Year). Schmidt's strength is two-fold: (1) He is very good at recognizing diamond's in the rough and developing them and (2) on the rare occasions where he goes toe-to-toe with big P5 programs he has a surprising level of success (Nelson Kaputo and Matt Mobely transfer, Demeitius Conger, Marquise Simmons and Da'quan Cook).

My only point is that we cheaped out when we hired Christian--a guy who had failed miserably during his only foray into a P5 conference. If we were going to go cheap, we could have had Schmidt which would likely have avoided the current embarrassing shit show.

Your arguments just aren't making any sense. Again, let me reiterate, I don't know if there would have been a difference had Schmidt been hired over Christian, I think its impossible to say one would have been better than the other, but to say that BC "cheaped out" on Christian, when your argument above was that they could have gotten Schmidt "dirt cheap", doesn't really add up. You're making these arguments, that he would have been a better hire, based on him being an alum, thats basically it.

As for the past performance argument, a few things. JC has had a much greater history of success over his career, numbers don't lie. I assume you are referring to his time at TCU when you say he "failed miserably during his only foray into a P5 conference" (even tho TCU was in the Mountain West at the time), but you fail to realize that he built that program (an afterthought of a program) to an 18 win team in year 4, taking over a less than ideal situation.

Your other point, that Schmidt has done a good job getting JUCOs and transfers, but you fail to realize that this is one of the worst places to try and implement that strategy (JUCO's aren't admitted here). Did JC miss on Carter ? Yes. He took a guy and expected him to play out of position, at the most important position on the court. Did he get good grad transfers last year in Brown and Batten, yea, they worked out ok. Trying to say Schmidt has an advantage in identifying players that could never play here, is just another reason why he probably couldn't see similar success at BC.

Basketball isn't rocket science. I would argue that even more than football, it really just comes down to who you can recruit and the bodies you have on campus. There are very few "systems" that can hide deficienceis, basketball is a fairly transparent game from an X's and O's perspective. To try and make an argument that one mid-major coach would be better than another is just crazy, and in this case, is totally unwarranted. If you want Schmidt just because he was an alum, thats fine, just say that, but to try and make an argument that he would have had more success than JC is just nuts at this point.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:45 pm

You lost me at the idea that basketball is all about talent and few systems can mask that. That might be a pertinent point in the NBA, but that's not basketball.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You lost me at the idea that basketball is all about talent and few systems can mask that. That might be a pertinent point in the NBA, but that's not basketball.

I was rambling, sry. I just meant that its about who you can get on campus. There is no way to say definitively that Schmidt would be able to get better guys on campus than Christian, and Schmidt isn't coming here with a "system" (because I don't think that is a thing in basketball) that would be able to mask personel deficiencies early on (and avoid the bottoming out were seeing now).

My only point is to the guy above, who keeps advocating that Schmidt would have been a better hire, isn't able to really back up his thesis. Its total hindsight and he's only making the argument because he's an alum
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:54 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You lost me at the idea that basketball is all about talent and few systems can mask that. That might be a pertinent point in the NBA, but that's not basketball.

I was rambling, sry. I just meant that its about who you can get on campus. There is no way to say definitively that Schmidt would be able to get better guys on campus than Christian, and Schmidt isn't coming here with a "system" (because I don't think that is a thing in basketball) that would be able to mask personel deficiencies early on (and avoid the bottoming out were seeing now).

My only point is to the guy above, who keeps advocating that Schmidt would have been a better hire, isn't able to really back up his thesis. Its total hindsight and he's only making the argument because he's an alum

System is definitely a thing in basketball.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:56 pm

As a further note, I don't care about the Christian/Schmidt comparison, tomato, tomahto. I just can't let "college hoop is all recruiting and rolling the ball out there" to pass unchecked. That logic is why the NBA fucking sucks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Like Donahue's "system" that he thought would work with whatever garbage he brought on campus.

I think I misspoke, my point was that getting players on campus is more important than a system (which is much more relevant in CFB, especially when you see the wide variations in offenses and coaches being hired in large part because of the system they run i.e. Babers at Cuse, Briles at Baylor). I don't think you see CBB hires based on a major advantage they have via a system they run, the real core of their success is there ability to recruit and get guys on campus.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:As a further note, I don't care about the Christian/Schmidt comparison, tomato, tomahto. I just can't let "college hoop is all recruiting and rolling the ball out there" to pass unchecked. That logic is why the NBA fucking sucks.

Explain to me Roy Williams or Paul Hewitt. It's like 90% about talent.

No system in the world is going to work with this band of clowns and idiots BC is deploying on a nightly basis. The players are absolutely awful with the exception of SBT and Milon. The other good ones are hurt. Everyone else BC gives minutes to sucks out loud and I wouldn't take them on my pickup team
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:09 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Like Donahue's "system" that he thought would work with whatever garbage he brought on campus.

I think I misspoke, my point was that getting players on campus is more important than a system (which is much more relevant in CFB, especially when you see the wide variations in offenses and coaches being hired in large part because of the system they run i.e. Babers at Cuse, Briles at Baylor). I don't think you see CBB hires based on a major advantage they have via a system they run, the real core of their success is there ability to recruit and get guys on campus.

I'll agree a system kind of matters if you have a certain level of talent (see Donahue Year 1). No system in the world is saving the talent I've seen the last 5 years.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:31 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:If you go back in this thread you will see that I acknowledge Schmidt's short comings from a tactical perspective and I think the Al analogy is pretty fair (given they were both A-10 Coach of the Year). Schmidt's strength is two-fold: (1) He is very good at recognizing diamond's in the rough and developing them and (2) on the rare occasions where he goes toe-to-toe with big P5 programs he has a surprising level of success (Nelson Kaputo and Matt Mobely transfer, Demeitius Conger, Marquise Simmons and Da'quan Cook).

Your arguments just aren't making any sense. Again, let me reiterate, I don't know if there would have been a difference had Schmidt been hired over Christian, I think its impossible to say one would have been better than the other, but to say that BC "cheaped out" on Christian, when your argument above was that they could have gotten Schmidt "dirt cheap", doesn't really add up. You're making these arguments, that he would have been a better hire, based on him being an alum, thats basically it.

As for the past performance argument, a few things. JC has had a much greater history of success over his career, numbers don't lie. I assume you are referring to his time at TCU when you say he "failed miserably during his only foray into a P5 conference" (even tho TCU was in the Mountain West at the time), but you fail to realize that he built that program (an afterthought of a program) to an 18 win team in year 4, taking over a less than ideal situation.

Your other point, that Schmidt has done a good job getting JUCOs and transfers, but you fail to realize that this is one of the worst places to try and implement that strategy (JUCO's aren't admitted here). Did JC miss on Carter ? Yes. He took a guy and expected him to play out of position, at the most important position on the court. Did he get good grad transfers last year in Brown and Batten, yea, they worked out ok. Trying to say Schmidt has an advantage in identifying players that could never play here, is just another reason why he probably couldn't see similar success at BC.

Basketball isn't rocket science. I would argue that even more than football, it really just comes down to who you can recruit and the bodies you have on campus. There are very few "systems" that can hide deficienceis, basketball is a fairly transparent game from an X's and O's perspective. To try and make an argument that one mid-major coach would be better than another is just crazy, and in this case, is totally unwarranted. If you want Schmidt just because he was an alum, thats fine, just say that, but to try and make an argument that he would have had more success than JC is just nuts at this point.

You have either ignored my salient points or you lack reading comprehension skills or perhaps both. What you have written isn't even worth responding to at this point because you have failed to address my argument. And your point that Christian's superiority or equal standing is proven by virtue of the fact that he has a better record coaching at two of the power teams within his conference than Schmidt does coaching at two programs that play at a significant disadvantage vis a vis the rest of their respective conferences is fucktarded. It would be like arguing that Roy Williams is a better coach than Brad Stevens--I mean hey, the numbers don't lie, right?
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:55 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Donahue had a system. A shitty one.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:As a further note, I don't care about the Christian/Schmidt comparison, tomato, tomahto. I just can't let "college hoop is all recruiting and rolling the ball out there" to pass unchecked. That logic is why the NBA fucking sucks.

No system in the world is going to work with this band of clowns and idiots BC is deploying on a nightly basis. The players are absolutely awful with the exception of SBT and Milon. The other good ones are hurt. Everyone else BC gives minutes to sucks out loud and I wouldn't take them on my pickup team

You can get so much talent that you can be good enough to overcome shitty coaching. You can also be Butler, or VCU, or George Mason or the innumerable programs that reach the Final Four/Elite Eight/Sweet Sixteen without anything remotely resembling that level of talent.

The national champion is usually a combination of the two (Izzo, Pitino, K, Calipari, Calhoun, Boeheim (and staff), Gary Williams, Pitino part II (Billy Donovan)).
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

You can get so much talent that you can be good enough to overcome shitty coaching. You can also be Butler, or VCU, or George Mason or the innumerable programs that reach the Final Four/Elite Eight/Sweet Sixteen without anything remotely resembling that level of talent.

The national champion is usually a combination of the two (Izzo, Pitino, K, Calipari, Calhoun, Boeheim (and staff), Gary Williams, Pitino part II (Billy Donovan)).

My point is that it requires a minimum amount of talent to work. Donahue Year 1 was probably about that line
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:44 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

My point is that it requires a minimum amount of talent to work. Donahue Year 1 was probably about that line

His system required a minimum level of talent, yes.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:00 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

No system in the world is working for this group
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:28 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Your retarded
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Your retarded

Is this where I can flip out about your and you're?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:52 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Your retarded

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:11 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Your retarded

That was completely for the benefit of someone other than you, but have at it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:22 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Your retarded

That was completely for the benefit of someone other than you, but have at it.

It's all about me Teddy
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:42 am

yet another indicator of napoleon dickedness
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher