Official fire JC thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official fire JC thread

Postby thebs19 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:55 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:I'd be shocked if the Schmidt thing wasn't closed at this point. It used to be that he was so woefully underpaid that it'd be an easy sell. At this point, it'd be a downgrade program wise for him, and while he has a job for life at Bonas, he'd know he'd be trying to cash in for a slightly higher payday - that wouldn't be nearly as drastic an upgrade as it would've been had he come 3 years ago (given that he's renegotiated twice in the last 3 offseasons - believe he's at 800K now) - for a job where he'd last 3 years.

Schmidt would've been a gatekeeper to not let this thing go full retard, but its there, and he's not the one who's going to suddenly dig it out. Plus, he's a god in Olean among the Bona fans. Given its one of the smallest funded D1 institutions in the country, and by far the lowest in the A10, where he's already gotten it is pretty remarkable, but thats what Schmidt is: good with finding diamonds in the rough, getting more out of less, etc. He's not going to be the leader of some rockstar program or suddenly build a powerhouse. He uses 6 and 7 man rotations that rely a lot on just letting his 1 or 2 play makers make plays and not get in the way. He recruits big bodies who are underrecruited, teaches them a post move and works with them on hitting a 15 foot jump shot, and watches that formula work. Etc. Mid major life - especially the mid major life as a perpetual underdog - is a nice fit for what he's good at, without exposing what he can't do.

I agree that the window has closed on Schmidt but mostly for the following reasons: (1) Schmidt is pretty sure he has an NCAA tournament team next year and a favorite for the conference title; (2) the salary bump at BC would be minimal when cost of living is taken into account; (3) Schmidt has built a very nice pipeline to Nigeria that he expects will start delivering raw, but very athletic big bodies starting with this recruiting class; (4) as noted above, he is a God in Olean--and deservedly so considering that he took what was a program and school on the brink of dying and has turned it into a consistent top half/top 5 A-10 team despite being the smallest D-1 school of all; (5) he coaches in front of a raucous packed house of 6,000 every night--its an appreciably better atmosphere than Conte.

I do think it is funny that people assume that because he doesn't bring top 150 recruits to Olean, he could not recruit top talent to an ACC program. I've met the guy on a few different occasions and he is a pretty dynamic personality. I know the coaches at some of the power schools in DC-Baltimore love him (Mt. St. Joes, Bishop O'Connell, Dematha, Gonzaga) I just don't see how the fact that you can't talk a kid into Olean means you can't talk a kid into Boston and the ACC. Or consider it this way. Or look at it this way, despite being in Olean, he has recruited and developed an NBA 1st rounder which is more than can be said for some of the others listed (at least as head coaches). Truth be told, I think stylistically, Schmidt would be a lot like Coach Handsome--not the best Xs & Os coach, but a better recruiter than what we have had and someone who would find some diamonds in the rough--see Jaylen Adams, who I have news for you, would be a very good guard in the ACC.

I agree with everything you say here, Down to the Skinner comp. I wasn't trying to knock the guy. I think we've connected before on mutual Bona connections. I was saying he wouldn't come here at this point...and also I don't think he'd be the best choice for where the program is anyway(and would say the same about Al).

You basically need to completely rebuild the program from the bottom up. Facilities wise, fan base certainly- it probably takes a gimmicky system or a ridiculous Xs and Os guy because you're not getting any talent here and you're going to have to win and get people interested anyway to have any chance of ever starting to build a competitive recruiting pipeline and get donor support for facility upgrades.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:14 pm

BC sports do not need a complete rebuild. They just need to think about rosters differently. They need to be the Oakland A's of the ACC. To his credit at least Adazzio thinks this way
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:18 pm

My comments concerning Schmidt's recruiting were directed at Epstein and the HJS types who somehow think an inability to bring McDonald's All-Americans to Olean means that someone can't recruit at a major level, even when said coach has out recruited major programs for a few of the players that have come through his program in the last 8 years--in Nicholson (Purdue, Wisconsin), Ayeni (Georgia) Kaputo (Illinois, Northwestern), Coburn (Tennessee, St. John's and Seton Hall)
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:26 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:My comments concerning Schmidt's recruiting were directed at Epstein and the HJS types who somehow think an inability to bring McDonald's All-Americans to Olean means that someone can't recruit at a major level, even when said coach has out recruited major programs for a few of the players that have come through his program in the last 8 years--in Nicholson (Purdue, Wisconsin), Ayeni (Georgia) Kaputo (Illinois, Northwestern), Coburn (Tennessee, St. John's and Seton Hall)

As to Logitano, I view Bonnie basketball as more of a friend. It isn't marriage material or anything sexual based on the fact that Bonnie basketball was basically a crack whore after Van Bredakoff blew up the program and almost took out the school and then Solomon plumbed the depths of the A-10 before Schmidt arrived from Robert Morris.

As for Notre Dame football, I might have married it when I was younger and it was hot, but it has really let itself go and frankly I paid no attention to it this past year.

BC basketball is basically a really fat chick with a terrible personality, which means Duchie's would totally fuck it if he had a few drink in him. BC football was really fat. It has slimmed down a bit, but is still a bit plump and completely plain Jane. Accordingly, Duchie's would totally fuck it while sober and then tell you that it had nice eyes.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:58 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:Rob Murphy was JC's ass't at Kent State before JC hooked him up with Boeheim. And JC will be back. Speculate all you want. He will be the coach next season.

Thanks, I'll continue to speculate. You've proven to be fallible despite your idol status amongst the hoops weirdos.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:49 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:Rob Murphy was JC's ass't at Kent State before JC hooked him up with Boeheim. And JC will be back. Speculate all you want. He will be the coach next season.

Thanks, I'll continue to speculate. You've proven to be fallible despite your idol status amongst the hoops weirdos.

i used that gif because i assume that's a tranny
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby longdistanceeagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Nobody drove anybody away. I have nothing specific to contribute at this time. Be happy to have somebody else provide something.
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:18 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:Nobody drove anybody away. I have nothing specific to contribute at this time. Be happy to have somebody else provide something.

We need a PF. Like 3 of them.

There is my contribution.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:27 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:Nobody drove anybody away. I have nothing specific to contribute at this time. Be happy to have somebody else provide something.

Recruit better. You're welcome.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Recruit better. You're welcome.

interpretations... stop recruiting scoring 2's and forcing them to play point. stop grabbing wings that can't shoot and have a defense allergy. start recruiting real 4's and real 5's

and make the kids shoot foul shots in practice now and again
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:21 pm

<⌒/ヽ-、__
/<_/____/
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
∧_∧
(・o・) This board is flaming garbage
_| ⊃/(___
/ └-(____/
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

<⌒/ヽ-、__
/<_/____/
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:<⌒/ヽ-、__
/<_/____/
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄
∧_∧
(・o・) This board is flaming garbage
_| ⊃/(___
/ └-(____/
 ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄

<⌒/ヽ-、__
/<_/____/

we would expect the flamer to recognize his own.i'd throw some salt on it, but that seems to offend you and your glacier
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Christian has had nothing specific to contribute for 3 years.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:50 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

don't say that to long distance eagle!!!! he's the best poster that ever posted!!! hes let us know about all the things jimmy mac is doing that won't work. you can't ask for less than that out of either of them
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:05 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

He has found a few good players. He's surrounded them with awful players.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Bowman made all-ACC freshman team

Long Distance Eagle: 2
Tobacco Road Eagle: 0

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Bowman made all-ACC freshman team

long distance eagle acc wins 2
long distance eagle acc losses 34
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:49 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

As obvious as it was based on your evaluation of Hanlan's talent that you weren't watching the games in 2014-15, they did nevertheless take place believe it or not

How convenient of you to leave out the winningest season

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

As obvious as it was based on your evaluation of Hanlan's talent that you weren't watching the games in 2014-15, they did nevertheless take place believe it or not

How convenient of you to leave out the winningest season

So bumping up his ACC win % from 5% to 11% greatly changes your opinion on him?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:52 pm

It's more than double!

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:33 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:It's more than double!

Again, as someone who attends these disasters, I am shocked you continue to defend what you see on the court.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:55 am

No, I agree the product on the floor is, at present, borderline unwatchable.

I disagree about the distribution of blame and the feasibility of potential solutions

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:00 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:No, I agree the product on the floor is, at present, borderline unwatchable.

I disagree about the distribution of blame and the feasibility of potential solutions

What's the fix then?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:02 am

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:No, I agree the product on the floor is, at present, borderline unwatchable.

What's the fix then?

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:22 pm

how would you charge these guys?

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:37 pm

I went to a Celtics game recently and it was a little bit of a surreal experience watching a basketball game in a full arena, not expecting the home team to choke

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I went to a Celtics game recently and it was a little bit of a surreal experience watching a basketball game in a full arena, not expecting the home team to choke

Yeah, this would explain why I've been watching more Cs games than I have in all the years since the KG era ended.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I went to a Celtics game recently and it was a little bit of a surreal experience watching a basketball game in a full arena, not expecting the home team to choke

Yeah, this would explain why I've been watching more Cs games than I have in all the years since the KG era ended.

Cs are fun to watch. They do three things alien to the NBA - hustle, pass and play defense.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:33 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Cs are fun to watch. They do three things alien to the NBA - hustle, pass and play defense.

Are you sold on Stevens yet? Took long enough!

Don't recall having anything bad to say on Stevens. Touted him in both searches and as coach of the Cs.

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14432&p=382929&hilit=Brad+Stevens#p382929
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum