Official fire JC thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official fire JC thread

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:47 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:If I may put on my HJS cap for a moment, John Becker from Vermont could be an interesting choice. Just went 16-0 in conference at Vermont and has 6 straight 20 win seasons.

Hurley hasn't made NCAAs yet at URI. More hype than results

Any evidence he can recruit in the ACC?

My choice had a better recruiting class in 2016 than most the ACC
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:29 pm

I'd note that the Vermont guy has a lot of Marty Schottenheimer in him.

Becker conference record

2012 13-3
2013 11-5
2014 15-1
2015 12-4
2016 16-0

Tourney Champ

2012 Vermont
2013 Albany
2014 Albany
2015 Albany
2016 Stony Brook
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:32 pm

Maybe if they did hire Ed McLaughlin, he'd bring Will Wade. He's a damn good coach.

Of course, assume he's just waiting for Clemson to fire Brownell.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:05 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:Maybe if they did hire Ed McLaughlin, he'd bring Will Wade. He's a damn good coach.

Of course, assume he's just waiting for Clemson to fire Brownell.

Brownell is victim to the same mess BC has. I don't think Brownell nor JC are awful coaches
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:On the positive side, Dan Hurley has recruited high major talent to URI (albeit taking full advantage of URI's academic "status").

On the negative side, despite having consistently more talent than his A-10 counterparts, he has yet to do anything of note in that league. Turning around URI into an occassional NIT participant is not exactly a huge deal.

Think he'd be a disaster here as his recruiting tactics would be less effective and his in game coaching quite frankly sucks, at least compared to his counterparts in that league (non-Derek Kellogg division).

I'm sure Father Leahy would be stoked about recruiting kids and then signing their AAU coaches on the staff.

If we are going mediocre coach and incredible recruiter, just write a check for $2.5 million to Tommy Amaker.

Whenever JC gets canned, Amaker has pretty much my full support

Why do you think Amaker can succeed here when he was so meh at Michigan? I would say it is easier to recruit and win at Michgan than it is in Ann Arbor.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:32 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:On the positive side, Dan Hurley has recruited high major talent to URI (albeit taking full advantage of URI's academic "status").

On the negative side, despite having consistently more talent than his A-10 counterparts, he has yet to do anything of note in that league. Turning around URI into an occassional NIT participant is not exactly a huge deal.

Think he'd be a disaster here as his recruiting tactics would be less effective and his in game coaching quite frankly sucks, at least compared to his counterparts in that league (non-Derek Kellogg division).

I'm sure Father Leahy would be stoked about recruiting kids and then signing their AAU coaches on the staff.

If we are going mediocre coach and incredible recruiter, just write a check for $2.5 million to Tommy Amaker.

Whenever JC gets canned, Amaker has pretty much my full support

Why do you think Amaker can succeed here when he was so meh at Michigan? I would say it is easier to recruit and win at Michgan than it is in Ann Arbor.

Meh would be a huge improvement. He is clearly a better choice than whatever shitty mid-major Skerry, Schmidt, Coen, etc. simply due to recruiting.

College basketball is like 90% recruiting and 10% coaching. See Williams, Roy & Self, Bill & Boehim, Jim who are well below average in-game coaches.

Gottfried is the exception, but I'd rather have a drunk penguin from the acquarium waddling up and down the sideline than him.

Let's fix the talent problem then we can worry about in-game coaching. The talent on this current squad is still laughable by ACC standards.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:19 am

I'd be shocked if the Schmidt thing wasn't closed at this point. It used to be that he was so woefully underpaid that it'd be an easy sell. At this point, it'd be a downgrade program wise for him, and while he has a job for life at Bonas, he'd know he'd be trying to cash in for a slightly higher payday - that wouldn't be nearly as drastic an upgrade as it would've been had he come 3 years ago (given that he's renegotiated twice in the last 3 offseasons - believe he's at 800K now) - for a job where he'd last 3 years.

Schmidt would've been a gatekeeper to not let this thing go full retard, but its there, and he's not the one who's going to suddenly dig it out. Plus, he's a god in Olean among the Bona fans. Given its one of the smallest funded D1 institutions in the country, and by far the lowest in the A10, where he's already gotten it is pretty remarkable, but thats what Schmidt is: good with finding diamonds in the rough, getting more out of less, etc. He's not going to be the leader of some rockstar program or suddenly build a powerhouse. He uses 6 and 7 man rotations that rely a lot on just letting his 1 or 2 play makers make plays and not get in the way. He recruits big bodies who are underrecruited, teaches them a post move and works with them on hitting a 15 foot jump shot, and watches that formula work. Etc. Mid major life - especially the mid major life as a perpetual underdog - is a nice fit for what he's good at, without exposing what he can't do.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:45 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:I'd be shocked if the Schmidt thing wasn't closed at this point. It used to be that he was so woefully underpaid that it'd be an easy sell. At this point, it'd be a downgrade program wise for him, and while he has a job for life at Bonas, he'd know he'd be trying to cash in for a slightly higher payday - that wouldn't be nearly as drastic an upgrade as it would've been had he come 3 years ago (given that he's renegotiated twice in the last 3 offseasons - believe he's at 800K now) - for a job where he'd last 3 years.

Schmidt would've been a gatekeeper to not let this thing go full retard, but its there, and he's not the one who's going to suddenly dig it out. Plus, he's a god in Olean among the Bona fans. Given its one of the smallest funded D1 institutions in the country, and by far the lowest in the A10, where he's already gotten it is pretty remarkable, but thats what Schmidt is: good with finding diamonds in the rough, getting more out of less, etc. He's not going to be the leader of some rockstar program or suddenly build a powerhouse. He uses 6 and 7 man rotations that rely a lot on just letting his 1 or 2 play makers make plays and not get in the way. He recruits big bodies who are underrecruited, teaches them a post move and works with them on hitting a 15 foot jump shot, and watches that formula work. Etc. Mid major life - especially the mid major life as a perpetual underdog - is a nice fit for what he's good at, without exposing what he can't do.

There was a time where we could've hired Schmidt. I agree that it has passed. Now... if the next AD is just looking at folks like Amaker or Gottfried or Coen or O'Shea... then, might as well toss Schmidt in the mix. However, this thing is so far gone that I think you either need to hire a name or a career-riser. Someone who immediately changes everything about BC basketball. We can debate whether Schmidt, Amaker, Skerry, Coen or O'Shea would be better... but, the reality is they are pretty much the same flavor of vanilla. I think BC needs a blow-it-the-eff-up type who drags the program kicking and screaming into relevancy.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:I'd be shocked if the Schmidt thing wasn't closed at this point. It used to be that he was so woefully underpaid that it'd be an easy sell. At this point, it'd be a downgrade program wise for him, and while he has a job for life at Bonas, he'd know he'd be trying to cash in for a slightly higher payday - that wouldn't be nearly as drastic an upgrade as it would've been had he come 3 years ago (given that he's renegotiated twice in the last 3 offseasons - believe he's at 800K now) - for a job where he'd last 3 years.

There was a time where we could've hired Schmidt. I agree that it has passed. Now... if the next AD is just looking at folks like Amaker or Gottfried or Coen or O'Shea... then, might as well toss Schmidt in the mix. However, this thing is so far gone that I think you either need to hire a name or a career-riser. Someone who immediately changes everything about BC basketball. We can debate whether Schmidt, Amaker, Skerry, Coen or O'Shea would be better... but, the reality is they are pretty much the same flavor of vanilla. I think BC needs a blow-it-the-eff-up type who drags the program kicking and screaming into relevancy.

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Rob Murphy, Eastern Michigan.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rob Murphy, Eastern Michigan.

I know nothing of him, and can't tell if this was a sarcastic suggestion based on simply picking the first directional Michigan name uncovered so that we permanently open the pipeline for 5th year transfers off those programs' benches.

A quick look says this guy and his 1 year of remaining eligibility/likely graduating status looks like a great fit for what we like in a grad transfer in the frontcourt: mainly, undersized and no success in mid major conferences: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ick-madray
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:25 pm

i wonder if al skinner would come back now that geno is gone
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Bernard Lonergan on Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:33 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i wonder if al skinner would come back now that geno is gone

I'd rather have Williams (Al's AD) come back to BC, I'm surprised no one has mentioned him. What he's done down there looks pretty impressive. I wonder if ATL can weigh in on what the locals say about the job Williams has done there.
Bernard Lonergan
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:04 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i wonder if al skinner would come back now that geno is gone

I'm going to sound absolutely crazy here but with really high level assistants I'd take Al back.

Same theory as Amaker with talent evaluation. We can figure out coaching later, we have no chance to compete with the current level of talent. Greg Popovic couldn't go .500 in conference with this roster
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:25 pm

It's fun to speculate but as a practical matter Christian is coming back with about 99.9% certainty. Bates isn't firing him during his lame duck period and a new AD isn't going to fire the basketball coach in June (assuming we even have a new AD by then, which we might not)
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:48 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rob Murphy, Eastern Michigan.

I know nothing of him, and can't tell if this was a sarcastic suggestion based on simply picking the first directional Michigan name uncovered so that we permanently open the pipeline for 5th year transfers off those programs' benches.

He was an assistant at Syracuse, so he knows the ACC, and he's done pretty well for what's a bad program back to Ben Braun.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby CowboyEagle22 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:37 pm

From what I'm told, Leahy likes Christian a lot and thinks he just needs time. Someone has convinced Leahy that the key to turning around the basketball program is patience. I think that's probably true, but I also think that Christian is in over his head. Talking to people who have some insight into what's happening, I get the impression that the new AD is not going to get to fire Christian or Addazio without making a strong case to Leahy.

A lot can happen in a year. Donahue was set to return until someone got to Leahy and convinced him to make a change. At least that's what I heard at the time. The thing you hear from people who deal with Leahy is that he is not always predictable.
CowboyEagle22
Carney Hall

Postby longdistanceeagle on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:48 pm

Rob Murphy was JC's ass't at Kent State before JC hooked him up with Boeheim. And JC will be back. Speculate all you want. He will be the coach next season.
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:09 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:17 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:Rob Murphy was JC's ass't at Kent State before JC hooked him up with Boeheim. And JC will be back. Speculate all you want. He will be the coach next season.

I need you to weigh in on the recruiting thread.

The above was always obvious
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:19 pm

CowboyEagle22 {l Wrote}:From what I'm told, Leahy likes Christian a lot and thinks he just needs time. Someone has convinced Leahy that the key to turning around the basketball program is patience. I think that's probably true, but I also think that Christian is in over his head. Talking to people who have some insight into what's happening, I get the impression that the new AD is not going to get to fire Christian or Addazio without making a strong case to Leahy.

A lot can happen in a year. Donahue was set to return until someone got to Leahy and convinced him to make a change. At least that's what I heard at the time. The thing you hear from people who deal with Leahy is that he is not always predictable.

If the program was headed in a forward direction I would agree with Leahy.

It is not headed in that direction without a serious infusion of talent and development specifically of Sagay and Reyes
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:45 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:Rob Murphy was JC's ass't at Kent State before JC hooked him up with Boeheim. And JC will be back. Speculate all you want. He will be the coach next season.

I need you to weigh in on the recruiting thread.

The above was always obvious

Surprised eppy was the one that smelled the ruse.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm at the Maryland/Rutgers game tonight in HJS land.

Our guards and Rutger's big men and we'd be onto something
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:42 pm

Has anyone else noticed how frequently LDE and I are on the same wavelength?

It's how you know he's a good poster

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Has anyone else noticed how frequently LDE and I are on the same wavelength?

I'm surprised you've even survived the last few years having season tickets
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:00 am

Will he bring in someone that can rebound the basketball next year or will it just be him? Does JC ever speak to Skinner? They go a long way back. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:19 pm

I agree that the window has closed on Schmidt but mostly for the following reasons: (1) Schmidt is pretty sure he has an NCAA tournament team next year and a favorite for the conference title; (2) the salary bump at BC would be minimal when cost of living is taken into account; (3) Schmidt has built a very nice pipeline to Nigeria that he expects will start delivering raw, but very athletic big bodies starting with this recruiting class; (4) as noted above, he is a God in Olean--and deservedly so considering that he took what was a program and school on the brink of dying and has turned it into a consistent top half/top 5 A-10 team despite being the smallest D-1 school of all; (5) he coaches in front of a raucous packed house of 6,000 every night--its an appreciably better atmosphere than Conte.

I do think it is funny that people assume that because he doesn't bring top 150 recruits to Olean, he could not recruit top talent to an ACC program. I've met the guy on a few different occasions and he is a pretty dynamic personality. I know the coaches at some of the power schools in DC-Baltimore love him (Mt. St. Joes, Bishop O'Connell, Dematha, Gonzaga) I just don't see how the fact that you can't talk a kid into Olean means you can't talk a kid into Boston and the ACC. Or consider it this way. Or look at it this way, despite being in Olean, he has recruited and developed an NBA 1st rounder which is more than can be said for some of the others listed (at least as head coaches). Truth be told, I think stylistically, Schmidt would be a lot like Coach Handsome--not the best Xs & Os coach, but a better recruiter than what we have had and someone who would find some diamonds in the rough--see Jaylen Adams, who I have news for you, would be a very good guard in the ACC.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Has anyone else noticed how frequently LDE and I are on the same wavelength?

I'm surprised you've even survived the last few years having season tickets

Haven't been a season ticket holder in 2 years. Still go to about half the games though.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:30 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:

I agree that the window has closed on Schmidt but mostly for the following reasons: (1) Schmidt is pretty sure he has an NCAA tournament team next year and a favorite for the conference title; (2) the salary bump at BC would be minimal when cost of living is taken into account; (3) Schmidt has built a very nice pipeline to Nigeria that he expects will start delivering raw, but very athletic big bodies starting with this recruiting class; (4) as noted above, he is a God in Olean--and deservedly so considering that he took what was a program and school on the brink of dying and has turned it into a consistent top half/top 5 A-10 team despite being the smallest D-1 school of all; (5) he coaches in front of a raucous packed house of 6,000 every night--its an appreciably better atmosphere than Conte.

I do think it is funny that people assume that because he doesn't bring top 150 recruits to Olean, he could not recruit top talent to an ACC program. I've met the guy on a few different occasions and he is a pretty dynamic personality. I know the coaches at some of the power schools in DC-Baltimore love him (Mt. St. Joes, Bishop O'Connell, Dematha, Gonzaga) I just don't see how the fact that you can't talk a kid into Olean means you can't talk a kid into Boston and the ACC. Or consider it this way. Or look at it this way, despite being in Olean, he has recruited and developed an NBA 1st rounder which is more than can be said for some of the others listed (at least as head coaches). Truth be told, I think stylistically, Schmidt would be a lot like Coach Handsome--not the best Xs & Os coach, but a better recruiter than what we have had and someone who would find some diamonds in the rough--see Jaylen Adams, who I have news for you, would be a very good guard in the ACC.

Why don't you marry St. Bonaventure basketball? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:

Why don't you marry St. Bonaventure basketball? :ace

notre dame football would get jealous
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum