Official fire JC thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official fire JC thread

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:21 pm

They are freshmen.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Freshmen or not they should be playing better as a team at this point of the season and they're not. They have shown zero improvement as a team and it's not fun to watch.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:58 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Freshmen or not they should be playing better as a team at this point of the season and they're not. They have shown zero improvement as a team and it's not fun to watch.

It's this. They've regressed.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They are freshmen.

And if the games were remotely close I'd agree with you. They're getting dick stomped by 30 points and you're praising their effort.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby jbrooks58 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Despite all the negativity, I still have hope because I have the seen the difference one year can make from Freshman to Sophomore. I currently attend Liberty University and last year our team, composed of mostly freshman, only won 8 games and was absolutely embarrassing to watch. Much worse than this BC team. This year they were picked to finish dead last in the conference, but the change from freshman to sophomore has been incredible. This team has beat the #1 team in the conference twice and the #2 team and has moved up to #4 in the conference. Now the argument can be made that LU's coach would actually be more qualified to coach BC than Jim Christian, but I still think this team could have the same type of turn around if they put in the work during the off-season.
:angrychicken :screamyeagle
jbrooks58
Carney Hall

Postby jbrooks58 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:07 pm

25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You people are stupid. Epic stupid. And I don't even like the coach

i'm not sure i understand where you come out on all of this. you don't like Jimbo and think he shouldn't be playing Clifford and Eli as much (or at least featuring them as much). you are aware of the fact that the talent level is woeful. but because you were aware of this coming into the season you expected things to be this bad - like going winless in the ACC and not even being close to maybe having a shot at winning ONE CONFERENCE GAME with 5 minutes to play in any game? i don't really follow.

fact or fiction - this crop of freshmen plus the guys that come in next year will make an NCAA tournament in their time here?

fact or fiction - the Ryan Anderson & Co. freshmen class was better or worse than the JROB & Co. group we have this year?

how many more years do you give Christian?

First statement is FACT.
Second is not even close Anderson & Co. were worse. People keep forgetting the ACC that Anderson's class played in.
jbrooks58
Carney Hall

Postby Bender on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:11 pm

fact or fiction - this crop of freshmen plus the guys that come in next year will make an NCAA tournament in their time here?

fact or fiction - the Ryan Anderson & Co. freshmen class was better or worse than the JROB & Co. group we have this year?

how many more years do you give Christian?[/quote]

I like these questions,

I'd go with Fiction for the first one, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I just don't think Robinson and Graves are enough to carry a team to the tourney. They would need great development for those two and Turner as well, plus other guys stepping up or a great class for the 2017 recruits.

I would definitely say fact for the second question, Anderson, Clifford and Heckmann were better as freshmen than Robinson, Milon, SBT, Turner, and Diallo. And there's a good chance that the Hanlan and Rahon were better than next year's freshmen.

How many more years for Christian, at least two unless next season is somehow even worse than this season.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:13 pm

Bender {l Wrote}:I would definitely say fact for the second question, Anderson, Clifford and Heckmann were better as freshmen than Robinson, Milon, SBT, Turner, and Diallo. And there's a good chance that the Hanlan and Rahon were better than next year's freshmen.

LOL
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:58 am

h00pz wurdoz :mummy
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:10 pm

One name to possibly consider for our future head coach vacancy is Brendan O'Connor - assistant coach with the LA Clippers. He is young, and graduated from St Anselm in New Hampshire. His family seems to be entirely from New England. He has extensive professional background and no college experience. I think the former is a plus, but the latter is a negative.

It is a definitely a name from outside the box, but that may need to be exactly the way we approach it given how low we have fallen.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:46 am

if we fire jimmy mac, which will be at least another season from now (and it would have to be another disastrous season for him not to get the season beyond that), we will hire another mac coach
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:55 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:if we fire jimmy mac, which will be at least another season from now (and it would have to be another disastrous season for him not to get the season beyond that), we will hire another mac coach

It's this, though Bates won't be around to do it
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:38 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:if we fire jimmy mac, which will be at least another season from now (and it would have to be another disastrous season for him not to get the season beyond that), we will hire another mac coach

Bingo.

Just disband the program. It would be less painful than the now never ending cycle of rebuilding.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:19 pm

jimmy Mac should have been fired at halftime today. Fuck jimmy and fuck bc
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:24 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:jimmy Mac should have been fired at halftime today. Fuck jimmy and fuck bc

This will not be popular but:

For as much deserved blame as this staff will get, ultimately the players need to show some testicles on the court. Football was awful, especially the offense, but at no point did I see the players being okay with the other team embarrassing them. These kids embarrassed themselves tonight on National TV, embarrassed the school and any of their past coaches. BC flat out didn't play.

This was always going to be the bottom out year and injuries to JRob, Turner, Reyes and an epically bad 5th year choice has totally tanked it.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:51 pm

At some point, players play and coaches just coach. Glad I didn't watch.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cremins on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:36 am

back to the big question, like we all talked about before, when is the time to fire JC.
we all know that we need some sort of stability to help with the systems (offense and defense),
and recruiting but when is the time to give up on that.
if we had a young guy who we were all 100% sure was a great coach then we give that patience,
like a pastner, or miller or drew or ford or Willard. but I am not really sure and I am sure most
of you are in the same boat, if Christian is the answer. he hasn't really been a winner.
think we have to give him two more years with the freshmen and see what happens but im
skeptical.
cremins
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:04 am

cremins {l Wrote}:back to the big question, like we all talked about before, when is the time to fire JC.
we all know that we need some sort of stability to help with the systems (offense and defense),
if we had a young guy who we were all 100% sure was a great coach then we give that patience,
like a pastner, or miller or drew or ford or Willard. but I am not really sure and I am sure most
of you are in the same boat, if Christian is the answer. he hasn't really been a winner.
think we have to give him two more years with the freshmen and see what happens but im
skeptical.

This is and was always a 5 year rebuild. This was also always going to bottom out this year, expedited by Eli Carter ruining this entire team with his awful attitude. Losing your two best freshman also has not helped.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
cremins {l Wrote}:back to the big question, like we all talked about before, when is the time to fire JC.
skeptical.

This is and was always a 5 year rebuild. This was also always going to bottom out this year, expedited by Eli Carter ruining this entire team with his awful attitude. Losing your two best freshman also has not helped.

agree there is really nothing to do except wait for next year and hope that the team's future core looks good together. just from watching this year i feel good about JROB, and think Turner and Milon have the capability to be decent ACC starters by their junior or senior seasons. Hicks, SBT and Diallo should amount to good role players off the bench. not sure about Meznieks, didn't see enough from Reyes to make a decision.

given that - Graves needs to be the real deal, contributor from day one like JROB was this year. i know folks are high on Sagay, but folks were high on AJ Turner too - if we can get some decent minutes from Sagay i'll be content. Popovic based on the clips i've seen, i'm not expecting a ton.

i know its been rumored on this board that Christian is going to bring on another 5th yr or two - given what we got from Eli this year i'm not going to hold my breath.

it is sad to say, but really the most realistic "best case scenario" i see for this time next year is we have the makings of a legitimate ACC backcourt with Graves/JROB, and Milon/Turner/Sagay and one of the big men (Diallo, Reyes, Popovic) prove to be average ACC role players.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:23 am

The Celtic's star is Isaiah Thomas. They were a sub-.500 team headed for the lottery the day that trade was made. From the trade to the playoffs last season, the Cs had the second best record in the East (and that wasn't enough to get their pre-Thomas record even) and have the third best record in the East thus far.

It's a nice narrative, and Stevens is a good coach, but Thomas has turned himself into a top 20 player in this league. And Ainge built a team that plays brutal defense and has a ton of depth, so the lack of a #2 or even #3 (I'd argue Evan Turner could be the #3 guy in this system) is covered up by the fact that they might have the most talented second unit in the NBA.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:40 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Celtic's star is Isaiah Thomas. They were a sub-.500 team headed for the lottery the day that trade was made. From the trade to the playoffs last season, the Cs had the second best record in the East (and that wasn't enough to get their pre-Thomas record even) and have the third best record in the East thus far.

It's a nice narrative, and Stevens is a good coach, but Thomas has turned himself into a top 20 player in this league. And Ainge built a team that plays brutal defense and has a ton of depth, so the lack of a #2 or even #3 (I'd argue Evan Turner could be the #3 guy in this system) is covered up by the fact that they might have the most talented second unit in the NBA.

I haven't been able to watch too many C's games, so I will take your word.

I watch maybe 1 out of every 3-4 games, usually at the gym. The NBA is still tough to watch, even the way the Celtics play. That said, I saw a stat the other day that said they have the 6th best record in the league since the Thomas trade, a stretch that now equals almost a full season of games. They were a solid lottery team for the year and a half before that. That and noting that Thomas is averaging 21 ppg and 7 apg may be IB'ing the point a bit, but the stats do speak for themselves a bit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The Celtic's star is Isaiah Thomas. They were a sub-.500 team headed for the lottery the day that trade was made. From the trade to the playoffs last season, the Cs had the second best record in the East (and that wasn't enough to get their pre-Thomas record even) and have the third best record in the East thus far.

I haven't been able to watch too many C's games, so I will take your word.

I watch maybe 1 out of every 3-4 games, usually at the gym. The NBA is still tough to watch, even the way the Celtics play. That said, I saw a stat the other day that said they have the 6th best record in the league since the Thomas trade, a stretch that now equals almost a full season of games. They were a solid lottery team for the year and a half before that. That and noting that Thomas is averaging 21 ppg and 7 apg may be IB'ing the point a bit, but the stats do speak for themselves a bit.

They're surprisingly good for a team without a true "star", which is almost always a death sentence in the NBA. Part of that is Thomas and part of that is Stevens, who has taken so many players who were either castoffs or bit players with their old teams and found niche roles for them where they've thrived. He's a legit top five-ish coach.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:29 pm

Stevens was there when they sucked. Thomas was not.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bumpers on Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:43 pm

From a purely personal perspective, as a former athlete and one who cares about BC sports as a brand, the totality of FB and BB over the past 6 years has been so utterly boring and dreadful, both in actual quality and W/L wise, that all alumni everywhere should deliver a demand to the administration: shutter the FB and BB programs as scholarship sports. These embarrassing, abominable endeavors have proven only one thing, that this university lacks the functional capacity to operate this complex and heavy machinery. If they continue on at this pace, someone is just going to get hurt.

Let's just stick to what we are good at, the frozen and liquid water sports.

:whiteflag :violin :gun :bag :bag :bag :bag :bag :bag :bag :bag

Honestly, when we are actually, honestly pining for the days of :toby and Al, its ovah,
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bunratty on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Stevens was there when they sucked. Thomas was not.

Your too good to have actually just typed that.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:56 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Stevens was there when they sucked. Thomas was not.

Your too good to have actually just typed that.

No.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:18 am

Bumpers {l Wrote}:From a purely personal perspective, as a former athlete and one who cares about BC sports as a brand, the totality of FB and BB over the past 6 years has been so utterly boring and dreadful, both in actual quality and W/L wise, that all alumni everywhere should deliver a demand to the administration: shutter the FB and BB programs as scholarship sports. These embarrassing, abominable endeavors have proven only one thing, that this university lacks the functional capacity to operate this complex and heavy machinery. If they continue on at this pace, someone is just going to get hurt.

Let's just stick to what we are good at, the frozen and liquid water sports.

:whiteflag :violin :gun :bag :bag :bag :bag :bag :bag :bag :bag

Honestly, when we are actually, honestly pining for the days of :toby and Al, its ovah,

Go home your drunk bumpers. :dildodog
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:33 pm

Just because, I'll note that St. Bonnies is now 20-7 and is considered to have a 70% chance of making the tourney. They have also won their last 4 against ranked oppoeopponents, including 3 of those on the road. Having given it some thought, Schmidt is now probably too old for this job--I think he is 54--but Jesus Christ how did Bates not hire him over Christian? He was an alum, who would have been dirt cheap and has a better resume than Christian by every objective measure.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Just because, I'll note that St. Bonnies is now 20-7 and is considered to have a 70% chance of making the tourney. They have also won their last 4 against ranked oppoeopponents, including 3 of those on the road. Having given it some thought, Schmidt is now probably too old for this job--I think he is 54--but Jesus Christ how did Bates not hire him over Christian? He was an alum, who would have been dirt cheap and has a better resume than Christian by every objective measure.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Schmidt, but to say he "has a better resume than Christian by every objective measure" is totally grasping at straws, there is literally no way to say that definitively. In fact, at the mid major level, I would say success is based solely on conf titles and NCAA appearances, which Christian has won 2 of (and has finished first in his division of said conference 5 times in total between Kent State and Ohio). Schmidt hasn't had close to that success at Robert Morris or St Bonaventure.
Last edited by BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby longdistanceeagle on Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:09 pm

JC also has the highest winning percentage in the history of the MAC. In his first year at Ohio they won every conference road game, which is unheard of in any conference.
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum