Official fire JC thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official fire JC thread

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:15 pm

Saying that Schmidt would have been better than JC is like saying Diaco would have been better than Daz. Maybe... so what? JC did fine as a MAC coach (perhaps in down years). Schmidt is doing fine this year in the A10 (in a down year). Neither have shown a glimpse at potentially being successful leading an ACC program... which essentially is the problem with both candidates. For the record, while I think Tommy Amaker would have been better than both, I don't think he was the answer either.

As I've said in previous threads, what BC needed to save itself from the disaterous Don error was a MAJOR head coach. It needed a coach at the level of Jay Wright or Jim Calhoun. It needed someone who could IMMEDIATELY bring in talent and stir fan interest. Barring that... we needed a fail-proof young talent like Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart. However, the candidates that Eddie Fogler focused on are folks who were only capable of maintaining the level of the program they inherit.

I'm not entirely sure if there is an answer forthcoming. Bates is an imbecile and has never shown even the slightest success in selecting a head coach. Even if we fired Bates and hired someone with the cunning of Chet Gladchuck, that hypothetical AD would nevertheless be hamstrung by self-imposed pay constraints in line with the rest of the Patriot League. There simply needs to be a fundamental shift in the manner in which the University view athletics... one of seismic proportions. Until that happens, we might as well get used to enjoying JC's attempts of cobbling together a roster of 12 wing players.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:42 pm

"He would tell you that the approach to rebuild there could have been different, but he would have been fine if TCU stayed in the MWC."

Holy shit that's an alarming sign.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:03 pm

HJS is right. The way out of this is hiring a big name coach. You're giving JC about a 0% chance of success with the way things are currently operating within the AD.

If you think the current crop even with some magical development is a 3-5 seed in the tournament down the line you are insane. Brownell at Clemson is about the most I'm expecting for this whole crew.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:18 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:"In a time of ignorance, one has no doubts even while doing the greatest evils; in an enlightened age, one trembles even while doing the greatest goods. One feels the old abuses and sees their correction, but one also sees the abuses of the correction itself. One lets an ill remain if one fears something worse; one lets a good remain if one is in doubt about a better. One looks at the parts only in order to judge the whole; one examines all the causes in order to see the results."

:roll:
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:02 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:"He would tell you that the approach to rebuild there could have been different, but he would have been fine if TCU stayed in the MWC."

Holy shit that's an alarming sign.

Yeah, that kind of jumped of the page at me too, but lde assured us that it didn't mean what it obviously meant, though he couldn't tell us why he left.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:06 pm

Holy shit, Rinse Priapus is using all his words today.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:06 pm

here - here's a power conference job, the pinnacle achievement for a college basketball coach.

no thank you, id rather stay in the mid major world.

jesus.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:50 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Holy shit, Rinse Priapus is using all his words today.

Ehh, sometimes you gotta clean out the barn, so to speak. And the barn got full with Angry Dick's nonsensical B.S. and HJS's utopian theories about overhauling our athletic department.

Well you're the right man for shoveling shit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:54 pm

Sorry longdistanceeagle, but I've heard that Christian was sacked from TCU. I trust my source.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Sorry longdistanceeagle, but I've heard that Christian was sacked from TCU. I trust my source.

well, that would agree with his statement that jimmy mac's primary reason for leaving wasn't the jump to the wac
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Holy shit, Rinse Priapus is using all his words today.

Ehh, sometimes you gotta clean out the barn, so to speak. And the barn got full with Angry Dick's nonsensical B.S. and HJS's utopian theories about overhauling our athletic department.

Well you're the right man for shoveling shit.

I laughed.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:13 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Sorry longdistanceeagle, but I've heard that Christian was sacked from TCU. I trust my source.

I've heard otherwise, also trust source.

:chewbanka
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:30 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Ehh, sometimes you gotta clean out the barn, so to speak. And the barn got full with Angry Dick's nonsensical B.S. and HJS's utopian theories about overhauling our athletic department.

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Ultimately, we need to let Bates' contract run out along with getting lucky with some BOT turnover and give the next AD ample time to evaluate Christian.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:41 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Mine is bigger than yours, I mean my source.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

mrs skinner vs. mrs. donahue... the battle of the "nobody could be worse than..." basketball coach division. this outta be good

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby thebs19 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Christian definitely did not underperform at Kent - other than compared to the one year that his current assistant coached there.

I'm okay with Schmidt, too, but he's not going to be coaching rings around anyone anytime soon. The Bonnies won because a guy channelled Ty Rice and was nailing 30 foot jump shots all night for 47.

Saying JC underperformed is not being fair, but ots just not apples to apples considering what each guy did vis-a-vis program expectations.

I know Dick has beat the dead horse on this one a few times (and now I am too), but I don't think anyone who doesn't follow Bonnies basketball has an appreciation for what Schmidt took over there, and how rare a season like this is (and given they made the tourney in 2012, what a "run of success" this qualifies as.)

Again, Schmidt inherited a program that had, IIRC, 20 wins in the previous 4 seasons. A school where the president of the Board of Trustees KILLED HIMSELF because he thought the school was going down with the basketball scandal he allowed to happen on his watch. This was the dregs of Division I basketball. The only thing that makes anyone think of that job as anything better than the worst of the worst is it actually had some rich basketball history 40-50 years ago, well beyond many other mid-majors. But that was all a big footnote when Schmidt got there.

This year they have set a school record for conference wins, won 20 regular season games (despite playing fewer non-conference games than most high or mid major conference teams because teams don't want to play at the Reilly Center) for the first time since 1977, etc. This is a big freaking deal, even if Schmidts overall record doesn't stand up to JC's. Even if its a one-off (and its really not, if you consider how the program has stayed relatively competitive the last few seasons - playing competitively into the weekend at the A-10 tourney the last few years, etc.), its impressive you can ever do this at Bona's. This wasn't even supposed to be a good year, with Ndoye graduating to the D-League, no post presence in house ready to replace him, and the recruiting class all falling into more of a "project" status than being ready to contribute. They timed that purposefully it appeared with 2 transfers that are sitting out. The only actual expected new contributor, Stockard, has sat the entire season out with injury - if he had been healthy and contributed some scoring from the 3, this might've really been something.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:21 pm

Meh, neither is great. I'll keep JC if he learns to play zone on last second in bounds plays up by 1 under the basket.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby longdistanceeagle on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:25 pm

I could care less whether any of you believe what I have posted. My only purpose here has been to inform people who care about BC basketball information that would be of interest. As I stated previously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I probably should have kept my mouth shut about TCU since I could never tell the story. Why he left there is of no real consequence at this point. He is currently the coach at BC, so the past really is irrelevant. Argue away about who is better, or who did what, or whatever it is that strikes your fancy.
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:46 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:LDE, 3 truths you gotta understand about the board.

1. We appreciate your posts and want them to continue

2. We are all assholes

3. BC's sheer sucktetude has made us all want to shit on everyone

4. jim christian was fired by tcu but a non-disclosure agreement prevents lde from discussing it (just ask vinny how that works)

5. sgt slaughter and jimmy mac have combined forces to accomplish something that hasn't happened since vj day - lose every conference game in the same season. they should form a tag team called "the black hole patrol"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:33 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

No way, mine is between Eepstein's and real priapus's
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby sparky on Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:32 am

Can we please not scare longdistanceeagle away?
sparky
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:06 pm

pssst... guys... sparky wants to make teh juice with lde
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:31 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:pssst... guys... sparky wants to make teh juice with lde

i think that sparky is jimmy mac and he's trying to make sure we don't scare his buddy/wife away or we won't get the scoop on the next games defensive inbounds play
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:17 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:I could care less whether any of you believe what I have posted. My only purpose here has been to inform people who care about BC basketball information that would be of interest. As I stated previously, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I probably should have kept my mouth shut about TCU since I could never tell the story. Why he left there is of no real consequence at this point. He is currently the coach at BC, so the past really is irrelevant. Argue away about who is better, or who did what, or whatever it is that strikes your fancy.

Stop your crying, you sound like a little kid. It is a message board.

You are right about one thing, Christian is BC's coach and I am pulling for him to turn this thing around sooner rather than later.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:39 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Stop your crying, you sound like a little kid. It is a message board.

it's like ray-eeeeeeeeee-ayne on your wedding day...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Shoreagle on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:57 pm

If Rutgers can fire Eddie Jordan for no conference wins, why can't we fire Jim Christian? The team is simply non competetive
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:08 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Christian definitely did not underperform at Kent - other than compared to the one year that his current assistant coached there.

I'm okay with Schmidt, too, but he's not going to be coaching rings around anyone anytime soon. The Bonnies won because a guy channelled Ty Rice and was nailing 30 foot jump shots all night for 47.

Saying JC underperformed is not being fair, but ots just not apples to apples considering what each guy did vis-a-vis program expectations.

I know Dick has beat the dead horse on this one a few times (and now I am too), but I don't think anyone who doesn't follow Bonnies basketball has an appreciation for what Schmidt took over there, and how rare a season like this is (and given they made the tourney in 2012, what a "run of success" this qualifies as.)

Again, Schmidt inherited a program that had, IIRC, 20 wins in the previous 4 seasons. A school where the president of the Board of Trustees KILLED HIMSELF because he thought the school was going down with the basketball scandal he allowed to happen on his watch. This was the dregs of Division I basketball. The only thing that makes anyone think of that job as anything better than the worst of the worst is it actually had some rich basketball history 40-50 years ago, well beyond many other mid-majors. But that was all a big footnote when Schmidt got there.

This year they have set a school record for conference wins, won 20 regular season games (despite playing fewer non-conference games than most high or mid major conference teams because teams don't want to play at the Reilly Center) for the first time since 1977, etc. This is a big freaking deal, even if Schmidts overall record doesn't stand up to JC's. Even if its a one-off (and its really not, if you consider how the program has stayed relatively competitive the last few seasons - playing competitively into the weekend at the A-10 tourney the last few years, etc.), its impressive you can ever do this at Bona's. This wasn't even supposed to be a good year, with Ndoye graduating to the D-League, no post presence in house ready to replace him, and the recruiting class all falling into more of a "project" status than being ready to contribute. They timed that purposefully it appeared with 2 transfers that are sitting out. The only actual expected new contributor, Stockard, has sat the entire season out with injury - if he had been healthy and contributed some scoring from the 3, this might've really been something.

This debate couldn't end soon enough. Schmidt would be the same atrocity here. This situation is beyond salvageable minus the hiring of a big name coach. Hiring Schmidt so he can win 5-6 games per year in the ACC is a complete waste of time and money.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:14 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:If Rutgers can fire Eddie Jordan for no conference wins, why can't we fire Jim Christian? The team is simply non competetive

Because Eddie Jordan has had more years.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:03 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Shoreagle {l Wrote}:If Rutgers can fire Eddie Jordan for no conference wins, why can't we fire Jim Christian? The team is simply non competetive

Because Eddie Jordan has had more years.

I think Illinois football serves as a more fundamental reason for why we shouldn't entertain replacing either Christian or the Daz just yet.

What the fuck are you talking about?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:19 am

Lovie Smith is a loser land no improvement for the recepticable that is U Illinois
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum