Official fire JC thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official fire JC thread

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:JC never coached in the Big XII. Why would anyone there have made a comment?

That's right, he failed miserably at TCU before they switched to a Big Boy conference. In fact he left because they were switching to a Big Boy conference.

This. The word at TCU, which filtered around the Big XII, was that Christian wet himself and self-identified himself back to the MAC at the thought of having to coach against some actual basketball powers. The notion Bates hired him to coach at a school with a far smaller appetite for athletic success than TCU to coach in a conference that is superior to the Big XII.

If he didn't want to coach against "actual basketball powers" then why did he accept a job in the ACC?

Because he is in his 50s and this was a shot at a major payday (by MAC standards) and from an ACC perch he can fail his way down to a respectable mid-major where he will be happy and he didn't think he could do that at TCU. I talked to a guy who has known Christian for a while and he thinks Christian's actual dream job would be with an A-10 school like his alma mater URI or UMASS. It is better basketball than the MAC, all of the schools are "basketball" schools where football, if it even exists, is an afterthought, and the coaches generally get paid better than the MAC. As it stands now, his failure at BC has been so dramatic that I think he could not even grab the bottom rung of the A-10 and will either go back to the MAC or the OVC.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:41 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:JC never coached in the Big XII. Why would anyone there have made a comment?

That's right, he failed miserably at TCU before they switched to a Big Boy conference. In fact he left because they were switching to a Big Boy conference.

This. The word at TCU, which filtered around the Big XII, was that Christian wet himself and self-identified himself back to the MAC at the thought of having to coach against some actual basketball powers. The notion Bates hired him to coach at a school with a far smaller appetite for athletic success than TCU to coach in a conference that is superior to the Big XII.

If he didn't want to coach against "actual basketball powers" then why did he accept a job in the ACC?

Because he is in his 50s and this was a shot at a major payday (by MAC standards) and from an ACC perch he can fail his way down to a respectable mid-major where he will be happy and he didn't think he could do that at TCU. I talked to a guy who has known Christian for a while and he thinks Christian's actual dream job would be with an A-10 school like his alma mater URI or UMASS. It is better basketball than the MAC, all of the schools are "basketball" schools where football, if it even exists, is an afterthought, and the coaches generally get paid better than the MAC. As it stands now, his failure at BC has been so dramatic that I think he could not even grab the bottom rung of the A-10 and will either go back to the MAC or the OVC.

His recruiting is a disaster. Complete unmitigated disaster
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:58 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Do you know what unmitigated means or do you consider Bowman and Robinson to be disastrously bad?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Do you know what unmitigated means or do you consider Bowman and Robinson to be disastrously bad?

you realize jim christian is 2-30 in his last 32 acc games, right?

you also realize there are more than 2 basketball players on the court at a given time, correct?

if you have lebron james on your team and go 2-30 in 32 games, are you a good recruiter because you got lebron james? or are you a bad recruiter because lebron james probably wouldnt win many acc games by himself.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:13 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

When did the ACC start playing 2v2 basketball?

I agree we would be good in that format.

Robinson is also only very good in a world where you don't play defense in basketball
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby jbrooks58 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Luckily we know with a new AD that if Christian doesn't make a big leap next year with this team he will be gone.
jbrooks58
Carney Hall

Postby Bender on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm definitely in favor of firing JC, I never liked the hire. I think if you give him time the best case scenario is just being 8-10 in the ACC, I can't imagine him ever leading BC to the tourney.

Once you have negative momentum, the way BC has since Reggie Jackson left school, the job becomes harder every year. BC has gone from being irrelevant to being a punchline and this year they have actually upgraded back to being just irrelevant. When you're this bad it's harder to get good recruits, why would any ACC level player choose BC right now? When you only have two or three decent recruits it's harder to hold your decent players accountable for their bad habits. When Robinson is lazy on defense do you bench him? Turner comes out flat and lethargic, should we give Owens his minutes? Bowman is being selfish and saving his energy on defense, I don't even know who goes in for him if Robinson is already being punished.

I don't think JC gets fired this year because if the timing. The new AD won't be in place early enough to choose from the best candidates. The key right now is for BC to choose an adequate AD and in general for the administration to show a commitment towards good sports. JC has one more year to show significant improvement, I've seen nothing that indicates he will be able to save himself by then, but I'll be happy to be proven wrong.
Bender
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Good thing we extended him for another year after last season! We would've been a lot worse on the court and recruiting had we not!!!
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby thebs19 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:13 pm

I get the whole setting yourself back further if you make a rash firing with an uncertain long term plan, and the possible effect on the two actual ACC calibre youngsters we have here and whether they're willing to stick with the school not only through non-competitive basketball, but now with a whole new staff.

However, that seems like one of those excuses that can always be used if you wanted to. Truth be told, as nice as Robinson and Bowman are, it really can't get much worse than this. 6-48 in 3 seasons vs. 0-54 really doesn't matter much. Nobody is coming to BC right now under the guise of things getting better, or under the impression of having any chance of immediate contention. You're pretty much limited to using the "Playing in the best conference with limited playing time roadblocks ahead of you!" pitch at this point, which remains regardless of whether its JC or another guy . And of course, maybe they shock us and make a great hire which energizes the program and you get a few late adds and that builds into next recruiting season.

Bottom line is we shouldn't be worried about 2017-2018. Its not going to be good anyway. If we have to hire a coach in the early summer and risk a few departures or the 150 lb Euro kid decommitting, so be it. Neither is going to change the course of this program.

But other than the occassional well designed inbounds play, the complete lack of progress under JC in these years has been embarrassing. That FSU game was a joke and should be a swan song type effort. We were never going to win that matchup, but there was zero effort to even try to slow down what FSU wanted to do, and zero adjustments in game. That was a highlight type in which we were willing participants.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:57 pm

The FSU game was 100% about recruiting.

Greg Popovic coaching BC would've lost by 20+ easily.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ckoub01 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:00 am

Steve Donahue is an unmitigated disaster. Upon his arrival, he lost Rakim Sanders & Brady Heaslip, didn't make the NCAAs despite having Jackson and a solid supporting cast, and recruited 3-4 ACC caliber players (Hanlon, Rahon, Anderson, Clifford) over 4 years. Also, the scholarship distribution was completely out of whack.

JC is bad, but Popovic and the starting backcourt will be ACC caliber, Chatman & Turner are fine rotational pieces, and Sagay & Reyes could still turn into something useful. Add in the bare cupboard Christian was left and the scholarship re-balancing, he gets a firm 3/10.

Shocked that the anti-JC crowd hasn't brought up the recruitment of Eli Carter, who murdered BC basketball for his teammates/coaches/fans for an entire year. He's the #1 reason JC should be gone.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:26 am

ckoub01 {l Wrote}:Steve Donahue is an unmitigated disaster. Upon his arrival, he lost Rakim Sanders & Brady Heaslip, didn't make the NCAAs despite having Jackson and a solid supporting cast, and recruited 3-4 ACC caliber players (Hanlon, Rahon, Anderson, Clifford) over 4 years. Also, the scholarship distribution was completely out of whack.

JC is bad, but Popovic and the starting backcourt will be ACC caliber, Chatman & Turner are fine rotational pieces, and Sagay & Reyes could still turn into something useful. Add in the bare cupboard Christian was left and the scholarship re-balancing, he gets a firm 3/10.

Shocked that the anti-JC crowd hasn't brought up the recruitment of Eli Carter, who murdered BC basketball for his teammates/coaches/fans for an entire year. He's the #1 reason JC should be gone.

I'm totally fine with recruiting Eli Carter. Kid was the #1 impact 5th year in the country. Just didn't work out and kid was a complete malcontent.

I'm anti let's not recruit PFs.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:08 am

Nothing is changing without $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and that may not even be enough. You are not finding the next Coach K. If you want to be relevant spend the money and hire a proven winner and recruit :seanwilliams
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 am

You want to have face up jump shooting big men that play like SGs? Fine. But you must pair them with bulldogs on the boards. Look at the Celtics - Stevens loves the Olynyks and Horfords, but recognizes the need for Amir Johnson to get minutes along side them, as well as the need for the guards to rebound. And they still get killed on the boards.

Always preferred Al's approach in college - do your outside shooting with the guards and recruit bangers in the post. This team sorely needs an Agbai. Sad part is, there are plenty of them out there because in today's game, they are WAY undervalued.

They aren't more than a .500 team no matter how you slice it, as their ball handling is atrocious. But a 6'9" athletic big with some semblance of coordination would cure a lot of ills.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:22 am

The two biggest problems with this team are the nuclear-sized crater where other teams have productive Juniors and Seniors and the fact that once every 3-4 games the team decides not to show up...especially on the road

I blame Christian for #2 but I'll give him a "pass" grade (that's not an A, jerks) on recruiting so far. Also I will note again that Donahue's recruiting his first 2 real classes was perfectly fine too, it was year 4 where the wheels fell off with the Owens/Hicks/Magarity class and the completely outclassed frontcourt given Clifford's injury/Caudill's complete ineffectiveness.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:23 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:The two biggest problems with this team are the nuclear-sized crater where other teams have productive Juniors and Seniors and the fact that once every 3-4 games the team decides not to show up...especially on the road

I blame Christian for #2 but I'll give him a "pass" grade (that's not an A, jerks) on recruiting so far. Also I will note again that Donahue's recruiting his first 2 real classes was perfectly fine too, it was year 4 where the wheels fell off with the Owens/Hicks/Magarity class and the completely outclassed frontcourt given Clifford's injury/Caudill's complete ineffectiveness.

How does he get a pass grade on recruiting?

He's recruited 2 good players over almost 4 years now.

Also the problem with development and getting older is that these kids don't get better. They just all transfer
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:45 am

It should not be hard to get someone that wants to coach in the ACC. There's no excuse for bad hiring in hoop.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:49 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:I know that this is extremely unlikely, but I would be ecstatic if they could snag Gregg Marshall after JC and Co. get sacked

Gregg Marshall is an incredible coach who we have ZERO chance of landing. He's going to cost a fortune and will likely pick RCC over Boston.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Gregg Marshall is not going to NC bleeping State and he is blocking our number if BC tries to contact

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Gregg Marshall is not going to NC bleeping State and he is blocking our number if BC tries to contact

For just north of $3 million (i.e. The real cost of a basketball coach) Marshall would be the next coach at BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:50 pm

http://whnt.com/2015/04/01/gregg-marsha ... ita-state/

"WCH reporter Jacob Albracht is reporting Marshall's deal is for seven years worth roughly $3 million per year."

How much do you think Alabama was offering?

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:24 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:http://whnt.com/2015/04/01/gregg-marshall-turns-down-alabama-to-remain-at-wichita-state/

"WCH reporter Jacob Albracht is reporting Marshall's deal is for seven years worth roughly $3 million per year."

BC, even in our current disasterous state, is a better job than Witchita St.

Consider the conference and location.

I see Father Leahy at a ton of basketball games. I just can't imagine he sits there and doesn't realize the situation.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:29 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:More realistically, what do people think here of Dan Hurley? Idk much about him but he has turned URI around

Heard he skirted the rules a little on that whole Jared Terrell fiasco. Pretty sure he also hired Terrell's AAU Coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:43 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:http://whnt.com/2015/04/01/gregg-marshall-turns-down-alabama-to-remain-at-wichita-state/

Over 4 million. And the culture and opportunities in Wichita clearly mean something to him.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article17258015.html
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby thebs19 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:49 am

On the positive side, Dan Hurley has recruited high major talent to URI (albeit taking full advantage of URI's academic "status").

On the negative side, despite having consistently more talent than his A-10 counterparts, he has yet to do anything of note in that league. Turning around URI into an occassional NIT participant is not exactly a huge deal.

Think he'd be a disaster here as his recruiting tactics would be less effective and his in game coaching quite frankly sucks, at least compared to his counterparts in that league (non-Derek Kellogg division).
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:59 am

Dan Hurley dropped like 28 on us once in high school. He was the third or fourth best player on his team too.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:10 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Dan Hurley dropped like 28 on us once in high school. He was the third or fourth best player on his team too.

those st. anthony's teams of yesteryear could beat the everlovingshit out of our jc led gang of sub-mediocrity
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:19 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Dan Hurley dropped like 28 on us once in high school. He was the third or fourth best player on his team too.

those st. anthony's teams of yesteryear could beat the everlovingshit out of our jc led gang of sub-mediocrity

That particular team had national player of the year Roderick Rhodes, later of UK/USC/Houston Rockets fame and Roshown McLeod, of Duke/Atlanta Hawks/Boston Celtics fame. Jaleel Roberts was also on that team, think he went to Wisconsin and transferred to St Johns. I know Hurley ended up at Seton Hall.

Another guy ended up at Utah State. Ironically, I don't think one of their leading scorers, Mike Goines, ended up doing much in college.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:45 am

If I may put on my HJS cap for a moment, John Becker from Vermont could be an interesting choice. Just went 16-0 in conference at Vermont and has 6 straight 20 win seasons.

Hurley hasn't made NCAAs yet at URI. More hype than results

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:46 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:On the positive side, Dan Hurley has recruited high major talent to URI (albeit taking full advantage of URI's academic "status").

On the negative side, despite having consistently more talent than his A-10 counterparts, he has yet to do anything of note in that league. Turning around URI into an occassional NIT participant is not exactly a huge deal.

Think he'd be a disaster here as his recruiting tactics would be less effective and his in game coaching quite frankly sucks, at least compared to his counterparts in that league (non-Derek Kellogg division).

I'm sure Father Leahy would be stoked about recruiting kids and then signing their AAU coaches on the staff.

If we are going mediocre coach and incredible recruiter, just write a check for $2.5 million to Tommy Amaker.

Whenever JC gets canned, Amaker has pretty much my full support
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum