Are we recruiting any bigs?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Are we recruiting any bigs?

Postby 25GeraldRd on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:17 pm

First three games have been a real positive. Love the current freshmen class. Only issue longer term is the lack of front court players. Diallo is an epic fouler (5 fouls in 6 minutes against Harvard, LOL). Not sure what Reyes is an ACC caliber starting big.

I see next year's team looking something like:

PG: Graves (FR), Barnes-Thompkins (SO)
SG: Robinson (SO), Milon (SO)
SF: Turner (SO), Sagay (FR)
PF: Meznieks (SO), Owens (SR), Popovic (FR)
C: Reyes (SO), Diallo (SO)

love the guard depth and you can see with Owens playing at the 4 this year and Meznieks and Popovic being typical stretch 4's that XTIAN wants to open it up and spread the court. fantastic. that said, we definitely have a need for a guy 6'8 or taller who can defend other teams legit bigs) - are we recruiting anyone who fits that bill?

EDIT - after doing this post, I did some digging on my own and the only big I can tell is a CA kid named Lucas Siewert who has legit offers (Ariz. State, Cal, Creighton). the 247 crystall ball has our old pal Preston Murphy landing him at Creighton.

god Marfo would've been perfect for this team as an undersized 5. WTF is he doing going to GW?
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Re: Are we recruiting any bigs?

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:25 pm

I know his skills are more SF, but Sagay is big with a huge wingspan. He's definitely taller than they say on the sites - he walked right by me the other day and I am 6'6"
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:27 pm

The recent 247 commit article had him at 6'8" which is accurate I'd say
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The recent 247 commit article had him at 6'8" which is accurate I'd say

That kid was really tell but also really skinny. See him more as a Durant type SF

Also, SBT is not playing the 1 (that would be a nightmare).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Brablc on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Someone on BCinterruption said we were going after this kid:

There is one more wildcard. BC sits with 12 committed scholarships (assuming no attrition of underclassmen) and they have an outstanding offer to Jordy Tshimanga a 4 Star 6’10" Center. I’ve read he is suspected to be leaning to BC but not expected to decide/commit until April. I think Christian is leaving the light on for him and hoping he signs on this Spring. If he doesn’t then I could see him looking for a 5th yr player (like Carter) for the last scholarship.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:39 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:Someone on BCinterruption said we were going after this kid:

There is one more wildcard. BC sits with 12 committed scholarships (assuming no attrition of underclassmen) and they have an outstanding offer to Jordy Tshimanga a 4 Star 6’10" Center. I’ve read he is suspected to be leaning to BC but not expected to decide/commit until April. I think Christian is leaving the light on for him and hoping he signs on this Spring. If he doesn’t then I could see him looking for a 5th yr player (like Carter) for the last scholarship.

Jordy would be perfect. Having said that, I haven't seen anything about his recruitment in months. Is BC actually still involved here?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby longdistanceeagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:01 pm

BC has no interest in recruiting him. That is what I was told a month ago.
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:39 am

Tshimanga is a 4 star player in the same sense Jeremy MIller was. The kid stopped getting better.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:54 am

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:BC has no interest in recruiting him. That is what I was told a month ago.

I assume they're done for 2016 unless a great player falls in their lap?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:04 am

They have a schollie, we assuming that they are saving it to see if anything shakes out on the 5th year front?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby longdistanceeagle on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:10 pm

They are still looking at potential 5 men and that would also include a possible 5th year player after the season. Sagay is a 4. They also are recruiting Tomas Murphy as a 4 the following year
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:13 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:They are still looking at potential 5 men and that would also include a possible 5th year player after the season. Sagay is a 4. They also are recruiting Tomas Murphy as a 4 the following year

After seeing Sagay, that doesn't surprise me. Don't hold your breath on Murphy, and I hope JC isn't holding his because I like him as a coach and don't want him to suffocate.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:31 pm

Schilling is out Thursday. Good news for out foulers big men.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:46 pm

PS, the fact that I am looking at the scouting reports on Tues for a game against a top 15 opponent on Thurs, although overly optimistic, represents a sea change in the state of the program.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:PS, the fact that I am looking at the scouting reports on Tues for a game against a top 15 opponent on Thurs, although overly optimistic, represents a sea change in the state of the program.

Or a slow week at work
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:PS, the fact that I am looking at the scouting reports on Tues for a game against a top 15 opponent on Thurs, although overly optimistic, represents a sea change in the state of the program.

Or a slow week at work

Those two things are not mutually exclusive.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 25GeraldRd on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:15 pm

so it sounds like we'll roll with a bunch of stretch 4's and Reyes/Diallo as the 5 man rotation and just pray for the best. hope to see some improvement from those two.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:25 pm

As I have said before... this team needs an aggressive big who can rebound and defend. Height is less important than strength. Basically, I'm saying we need someone in the role of Danya Abrams, Uka Agbai or Craig Smith.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:38 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:As I have said before... this team needs an aggressive big who can rebound and defend. Height is less important than strength. Basically, I'm saying we need someone in the role of Danya Abrams, Uka Agbai or Craig Smith.

I agree, this team could use a 4 year starter at PF that scored over 2400 points and nabbed over 1100 rebounds..... although, what team wouldn't want someone like that?

He's not the only one on that list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_players_with_2000_points_and_1000_rebounds
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:34 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:As I have said before... this team needs an aggressive big who can rebound and defend. Height is less important than strength. Basically, I'm saying we need someone in the role of Danya Abrams, Uka Agbai or Craig Smith.

I agree, this team could use a 4 year starter at PF that scored over 2400 points and nabbed over 1100 rebounds..... although, what team wouldn't want someone like that?

He's not the only one on that list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_players_with_2000_points_and_1000_rebounds

I thought he might also be on that list, but admittedly this was before my time. Troy Bell's Freshman year is when I start remembering BC basketball.

Uka Agbai was a late pick-up out of Archbishop Molloy. His impact at BC was immediate. His injury (was it a broken neck against HC?) set the stage for Craig Smith (who was a lightly thought of overweight prospect out of Cali... before being placed by BC to prep after failing to gain admissions). Danya Abrams was an unheralded player out of a terrible school in Hackley. He was no more than 6'5" but was key in using his weight to concuss Derrick Phelps and make Dean Smith cry. There are plenty of non-BC players who have also fit that role in college (Dmitri Young, Rashard Kent. Kadeem Batts). Point is that physical bigs (who are too short for the pros) are often under-targetted, usually because programs spend their time chasing NBA prototypes.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 am

Mike Sagay is 6'7", Nik Popovic is 6'10", and this thread is stupid
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:13 am

i can't believe I'm somewhat excited?/looking forward to? our game thursday
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:42 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Mike Sagay is 6'7", Nik Popovic is 6'10", and this thread is stupid

both of those guys seem perimeter oriented, stretch 4's at best.

regardless, Christian made a nice move at the end of the summer with Meznieks, so maybe he'll pull a rabbit out of his hat again.

can't wait for MSU to see this team against legit competition.
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:54 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I thought he might also be on that list, but admittedly this was before my time. Troy Bell's Freshman year is when I start remembering BC basketball.

Uka Agbai was a late pick-up out of Archbishop Molloy. His impact at BC was immediate. His injury (was it a broken neck against HC?) set the stage for Craig Smith (who was a lightly thought of overweight prospect out of Cali... before being placed by BC to prep after failing to gain admissions). Danya Abrams was an unheralded player out of a terrible school in Hackley. He was no more than 6'5" but was key in using his weight to concuss Derrick Phelps and make Dean Smith cry. There are plenty of non-BC players who have also fit that role in college (Dmitri Young, Rashard Kent. Kadeem Batts). Point is that physical bigs (who are too short for the pros) are often under-targetted, usually because programs spend their time chasing NBA prototypes.

To your point, the kid playing center for Harvard Sunday would look perfect at 4 for BC. Small, undersized 5 that couldn't shoot over Clifford, but otherwise dominated the paint
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:57 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:Mike Sagay is 6'7", Nik Popovic is 6'10", and this thread is stupid

I think the point was that both of these guys are supposed to be face up players and not bangers. Being tall does not really satisfy what people are asking for here, especially since the 3 prototypes cited - Abrams, Smith and Agbai were all in the 6'5''-6'7'' range. More of a mentality than anything. Seen 5 years of a soft tall guy.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:58 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i can't believe I'm somewhat excited?/looking forward to? our game thursday

That makes two of us. It's been a while since I was searching the internets for shit to read about a BC hoop matchup two days in advance.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:06 am

I look forward to reasoned discussion in the game thread
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:09 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I look forward to reasoned discussion in the game thread

I look forward to the coaches actively recruiting a Dejuan Blair type diamond in the rough

Between now and Thursday?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:33 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

Danya Abrams named "Mr. Basketball" in state of New York.
Danya In The House: Danya Abrams, a 6'8" senior forward from The Hackley School in Tarrytown, NY, was recently named Mr. Basketball by the New York State Coaches Association. Abrams, who has committed Boston College average 28.5 points and 13.6 rebounds per game. Previous winners include John Wallace (now at Syracuse), Jamal Mashburn (Kentucky), Kenny Anderson (Georgia Tech), Malik Sealy (St. John's), Greg Koubek (Duke), and King Rice (North Carolina). "It's a very prestigious award, especially when you realize the kind of talented basketball players that play in New York," Abrams said. "I want to thank everyone who voted for me and I won't let them down when I go to Boston College." On the strength of Abrams, who is considered to be one of the top 70 players in the nation, Boston College's recruiting class was recently judged by Hoop Scoop Magazine to be the 20th best in the country. Joining Abrams in the class of 1997 will be Keenan Jourdan, a 6'8" guard from Brewster Academy in New Hampshire. Jourdan is considered one of the country's top 100 players. Jourdan and Abrams will replace graduating seniors Dave Hinton and Jim Panetierre, who played their last game on Wednesday in the 75-58 NIT Tournament loss to Providence.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:36 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I look forward to reasoned discussion in the game thread

I think expectations coming in were low enough that this is kind of a gravy situation. It's been so long since the hoop team was good, I may have forgotten how to be annoyed by them
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum