Bentley Exhibition

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Bentley Exhibition

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Apparently "talent" is a quality that can be evaluated completely independently of results on the court...

In the same way that the sky is blue, yes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:27 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:So how did the team that was at an enormous disadvantage in both height and athleticism nearly win, if not for an at least comparable level of talent in playing basketball?

Follow up question, who is more talented, Idy Diallo or their 6'5 center who scored over 25 points?

The three and our team's inability to defend it, not due to physical limitations but not knowing what they were doing.

You are separating athleticism from talent, which is fine, but I don't really know what talent is in your definition. I'd assume it's some combination of skill/athleticism/work ethic/intelligence.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:34 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:So how did the team that was at an enormous disadvantage in both height and athleticism nearly win, if not for an at least comparable level of talent in playing basketball?

Follow up question, who is more talented, Idy Diallo or their 6'5 center who scored over 25 points?

The three and our team's inability to defend it, not due to physical limitations but not knowing what they were doing.

You are separating athleticism from talent, which is fine, but I don't really know what talent is in your definition. I'd assume it's some combination of skill/athleticism/work ethic/intelligence.

He's actually also muddling talent and skill in the process.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:34 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Unless experience is part of the definition of talent, then this shouldn't even be a discussion
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:39 pm

I'd note that the definition of talent includes the word "innate." Skill is learnable expertise.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:41 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Talent should manifest itself the form of doing things that lead to winning basketball games. Things like scoring, rebounding, preventing the opponent from scoring, etc. I'm saying if Idy Diallo has every physical advantage over the other center, and the other center dominates him, how can you say Diallo is more talented? Yes he's more athletic, but it's a basketball game not a decathlon. If one team can generate a bunch of open 3s and the other team cant' stop them, how can you say the defense was clearly more talented than the offense? That's why I said, what are you basing our superior talent on, recruiting rankings? Carter was the only player who looked better to me than the guys on the other team.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:43 pm

Again, the word talent means "innate aptitude."
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Again, the word talent means "innate aptitude."

And how can you tell who has more innate aptitude? Do you have some invention that can scan it and give you a readout? The best method I have is watching the game and seeing how well the players play.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Talent should manifest itself the form of doing things that lead to winning basketball games. Things like scoring, rebounding, preventing the opponent from scoring, etc. I'm saying if Idy Diallo has every physical advantage over the other center, and the other center dominates him, how can you say Diallo is more talented? Yes he's more athletic, but it's a basketball game not a decathlon. If one team can generate a bunch of open 3s and the other team cant' stop them, how can you say the defense was clearly more talented than the offense? That's why I said, what are you basing our superior talent on, recruiting rankings? Carter was the only player who looked better to me than the guys on the other team.

Basketball is a team sport especially on defense. No one is arguing they were good at team defense, it was really bad. That's totally than talent. Again if they fixed the defensive switching issues the final score is like 85-50.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Again, the word talent means "innate aptitude."

And how can you tell who has more innate aptitude? Do you have some invention that can scan it and give you a readout? The best method I have is watching the game and seeing how well the players play.

Yes, if you are able to distinguish skill from talent.

Two painters present their efforts at a large water-color painting intended to cover a large wall. One painter shows a painting that by all accounts is complete and competent, but is on a very small canvas and is done in only 4 colors. The other painter has just started working on a large enough canvas and has hundreds of paints at his disposal, but may be a year or more from completion.

Which is the better painting right now?

Which painting would you prefer to have when both are complete?

Which has the more innate ability to be a better painting?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:06 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Basketball is a team sport especially on defense. No one is arguing they were good at team defense, it was really bad. That's totally than talent. Again if they fixed the defensive switching issues the final score is like 85-50.

I thought the boxing out was bad too, and I am very concerned about Diallo, because he's basically the big man linchpin if we have any hope for the future, and he was a legitimate liability out there who I thought had a couple of bad fouls. I am also a little concerned about Turner because he had a reputation of being great defensively and I didn't see it yesterday. If the offense takes a while that's fine, but honestly he defended against better players in high school than they have at Bentley.

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yes, if you are able to distinguish skill from talent.

Two painters present their efforts at a large water-color painting intended to cover a large wall. One painter shows a painting that by all accounts is complete and competent, but is on a very small canvas and is done in only 4 colors. The other painter has just started working on a large enough canvas and has hundreds of paints at his disposal, but may be a year or more from completion.

I understand what you are getting at but in the ACC the painters to use your analogy have an even bigger canvas than ours and even more paints. I don't want to read too much into one game but I foresee a big-time non-conference WTF, if not more than one, if we play like that against a D1 team.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:14 pm

Corporal Punishment {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yes, if you are able to distinguish skill from talent.

I understand what you are getting at but in the ACC the painters to use your analogy have an even bigger canvas than ours and even more paints. I don't want to read too much into one game but I foresee a big-time non-conference WTF, if not more than one, if we play like that against a D1 team.

No doubt. My only point is "playing like we did last night" had nothing to do with talent. To abuse and torture the metaphor, sounds like they were slopping paint everywhere.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Diallo hasn't played in a basketball game in almost 2 years. It wouldn't shock me if he were a little rusty. Turner looked like he miss pass out he was so nervous at the beginning.

These kids will be fine. JC turned last years group of misfit toys into an okay defensive team, he can do the same here
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:14 pm

What's with all the negativity here?????

We beat Bentley!

Don't y'all grasp the import of that?

The smart BC money is now making reservations for Houston!

A word to the wise.
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

And who is responsible for that?
MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:54 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

If this were a decathlon, we'd be off to a great start with Owens and Diallo. Not so much in a basketball game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby jbrooks58 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Is SBT just not polished enough to play or is he hurt?
jbrooks58
Carney Hall

Postby longdistanceeagle on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:37 pm

He is undergoing an attitude adjustment.
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

Postby StratEagle on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:44 pm

longdistanceeagle {l Wrote}:He is undergoing an attitude adjustment.

Is this looking like a long term issue?
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:07 pm

I had a hunch.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby jbrooks58 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:27 pm

Dang I was looking forward to his edge. How big of an issue does this seem to be?
jbrooks58
Carney Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum