Preston Murphy leaves BC for Creighton

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Preston Murphy leaves BC for Creighton

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 13, 2015 7:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:No amount of depression is going to make me believe a word that comes out of the mouth of Falzone's father.

I would agree 100% here.

Spend the $500K and hire another young, black, strong recruiter. How they fill this position will be very telling.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed May 13, 2015 7:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Maybe Al Skinner was a really good coach

Nah, he was too lazy and played too much pickup ball at the plex.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 13, 2015 7:10 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:creighton has far greater facilities and a much larger fan following. i'm guessing murphy got a significant pay bump and has a chance to be identified for a greater leap with the additional exposure he gets at an above .500 program (which won't happen at bc until at least 202x).

for those just realizing this makes the porgram look bad - what the fuck have you been watching for the last 5 years?

lastly, fuck siriuzkeeper and the rest of you that gave me shit in donahue's year two for asking why he wasn't getting shit on as badly as spaz got shit on. fuck each and every one of you with claver's micropenis

There is no way he is getting a significant raise over what he was making here. Both him and Spinelli were making a lot as an assistant.

The only explanation is that he and JC didn't see eye to eye.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed May 13, 2015 7:10 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:creighton has far greater facilities and a much larger fan following. i'm guessing murphy got a significant pay bump and has a chance to be identified for a greater leap with the additional exposure he gets at an above .500 program (which won't happen at bc until at least 202x).

for those just realizing this makes the porgram look bad - what the fuck have you been watching for the last 5 years?

lastly, fuck siriuzkeeper and the rest of you that gave me shit in donahue's year two for asking why he wasn't getting shit on as badly as spaz got shit on. fuck each and every one of you with claver's micropenis

I never gave you any grief, TRE. In fact, I agreed with you then and I agree with you now about Coach Jim.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Wed May 13, 2015 7:18 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I never gave you any grief, TRE. In fact, I agreed with you then and I agree with you now about Coach Jim.

Coach Jim will be rocketshipped back to the MAC in 2019. His wife is from MAC country, he can make 750K a year, and live a nice life.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Wed May 13, 2015 7:23 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Coach Jim will be rocketshipped back to the MAC in 2019. His wife is from MAC country, he can make 750K a year, and live a nice life.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed May 13, 2015 7:35 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:No amount of depression is going to make me believe a word that comes out of the mouth of Falzone's father.

Well the man is a dope, no doubt about it. But if you read that account Preston and the winningest coach in MAC history were clearly not on the same page if one is making final arrangements for a visit and one is making plans to revoke his offer. I wonder if the relationship was poisoned right then and there, or perhaps if the subsequent complete inability to find a PF anywhere else has convinced Preston that his boss is incompetent.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed May 13, 2015 8:17 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Me neither, TRE is a libelous jerk.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed May 13, 2015 8:51 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Leahy needs to go and dollars need to be spent to upgrade the facilities.

Agreed, but that is really Bates' job. It is not like Murphy didn't know what it was like to recruit at BC with the facilities and admissions as handicaps.

It's not really the athletic director's job to make the president leave.

I think the departure of the greasy guy and the mustached guy and the muppet looking guy and the remaining terribleness, mediocrity and terribleness respectively more or less prove this is a bigger problem than AD and coaches.

I meant it is Bates job to raise money. So far he hasn't been a superstar there.

BC has challenges in basketball, but Murphy knew those coming back.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 13, 2015 9:21 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Leahy needs to go and dollars need to be spent to upgrade the facilities.

Agreed, but that is really Bates' job. It is not like Murphy didn't know what it was like to recruit at BC with the facilities and admissions as handicaps.

I think the departure of the greasy guy and the mustached guy and the muppet looking guy and the remaining terribleness, mediocrity and terribleness respectively more or less prove this is a bigger problem than AD and coaches.

I meant it is Bates job to raise money. So far he hasn't been a superstar there.

You're well connected, what is the real story here?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed May 13, 2015 9:52 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

You're well connected, what is the real story here?

Not connected to JC at all.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu May 14, 2015 7:04 am

This is basically what you get when you play below market rate. You get average recruiting and a HC who looks like he is in over his head.

I swear BC never learns.

While I'm thinking about it Daz has done the opposite which is actually continuing to make his staff stronger over his tenure so far. We're also not paying Daz below market rate.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu May 14, 2015 7:11 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

There is no way he is getting a significant raise over what he was making here. Both him and Spinelli were making a lot as an assistant.

The only explanation is that he and JC didn't see eye to eye.

You don't know creighton. I'd say with some certainty that he got a raise to move to buffetsville
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCHerbert on Thu May 14, 2015 7:20 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:This is basically what you get when you play below market rate. You get average recruiting and a HC who looks like he is in over his head.

I swear BC never learns.

While I'm thinking about it Daz has done the opposite which is actually continuing to make his staff stronger over his tenure so far. We're also not paying Daz below market rate.

Christian was in over his head at TCU. He couldn't connect with the local AAU coaches and TCU promised him new facilities only if he could deliver winning teams. It didn't happen and he ran back to the MAC with his tail between his legs. Christian claims that he learned from his mistakes at TCU and knows what he needs to do at BC. History, again, will probably repeat itself. In 2019, JC will run back to another MAC job, probably Toledo, he will build a winner, and he will have a great chunk of change as part of his retirement. BC will be BC and will finally learn when they have literally exhausted all possibly resources and excuses not to build a new facility. BC will begrudgingly build an indoor facility after JC bolts and the program has reached SUNY Oneonta status. Yes, Murphy knew what he was getting into at BC, but I'm wondering if the excitement of being a part of a new staff, great money, being coupled with another strong recruiter, and promises of a new facility presented a nice challenge for Murphy along with a bit of security. Then he realized that JC couldn't close, the facilities weren't going to be built until 2083, and the depressing state of the program just simply forced him to leave. I don't blame him for jumping ship one bit. The BC Admin are a bunch of fucking liars, they panhandle from the ACC, and have no integrity. Ever to Excel? Ever to Put Your Hand Out To Other ACC Teams And Live Without Integrity should be the fucking model for BC. Hoops at BC is considered a joke by the basketball world. It's really sad hearing mid major schools and AAU coaches make fun of BC. Oh, by the way, FUCK YOU TRE!!!!!!!!!!
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu May 14, 2015 7:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:This is basically what you get when you play below market rate. You get average recruiting and a HC who looks like he is in over his head.

I swear BC never learns.

As much fun as it is to pretend that Christian is the problem because it would be so easily solvable in theory, I reiterate that while he was probably the least inspiring non-spaziani hire in memory, he's fighting with one hand and one leg tied. All this TV money came in and almost all of the other schools receiving it poured it into their programs. BC painted the f'ing Power Gym. If the "can't close" thing makes you feel better because it makes the problem seems solvable, I guess go for it. The fact they can't get donors is just weird.

Here is what Creighton just built (which by the way isn't special compared to what other teams have done):

Here is where BC basketball practices:

Volleyball gym - but it does have a new floor!

Here is where they added some Reggie Jackson wallpaper but kept the drop ceilings to part of the practice facility:

"New" film room

Look at the sign in the background here, it is a very BC thing.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 14, 2015 8:22 am

So if the facilities are so bad that no one can win, BC must not have had any recent coaches with success.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby longdistanceeagle on Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 am

The reason Preston Murphy left was the high cost of living in the Boston area. He has 3 young boys and now his wife no longer has to work and can be home with their children. Omaha is a lot cheaper than Boston. There was nothing else to his leaving.
longdistanceeagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 14, 2015 8:35 am

Wait, what? Dude was making in the range of $250K. Boston is expensive, but if that's not enough cash to support a family, you're an idiot.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu May 14, 2015 8:41 am

I thought I read somewhere that he lives in Cranston, Rhode Island.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu May 14, 2015 8:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:So if the facilities are so bad that no one can win, BC must not have had any recent coaches with success.

I don't know if you'll recall this, but there was a big to do in the last decade or so where a bunch of schools changed places and a bunch of tv outlets paid them a gazillion dollars to do so. There was a poster called 1981eagle who had some thoughts on this generally, which you might recall if you don't remember the larger issue.

A lot of schools used some of this money to improve their programs. BC used their share to put up wallpaper and to provide a box of vegetable flavored chips that is intended to last until Thursday. They probably added some additional Irish step dance shows at Robsham also.

Al Skinner had success before the great spending spree happened elsewhere, I don't know if he would now. If you're implying Addazio has had success, I'd point out that our football program is merely a strawberry blonde haired step child, whereas the basketball program is an innocentbystander level flaming red haired step child and therefore the two situations are different.

This isn't an endorsement of Christian and maybe if they hired a name with cache, he'd be able to make the powers that be at least get rid of the drop ceilings. I don't know. Its also circular as the lack of investment makes a good hire more difficult.

I'll also point out that I'm not advocating for my namesake's expansion to Alumni, just to keep within sight of the neighbors.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 14, 2015 8:59 am

The amount of sympathy I have for the facilities excuse is nominal. Get to mediocre and we can discuss facilities. I guarantee that Daz gets his facilities long before anyone in hoop smells daily Nature Bars.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu May 14, 2015 9:07 am

It's a circular problem, but remember also that when Creighton pitches their administrators about building new facilities, they can point to years and years worth of sellouts, where we can point to fans like Corporal Funishment buying $3 tickets to conference games and then finding an empty seat 15 rows up to watch the game.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu May 14, 2015 9:08 am

Creighton also has no football usurping all the good geography and cash flow on campus. those snazzy lights and cushy chairs are all for the hoops program. they play in front of 17k and sell out more often than they don't. they pay more than bc does (if you think jimmy mac makes more than McDermott, you're effing crazy) and that money goes a helluvalot farther in Omaha than it does in New England.

if I liked sports and knew how to coach basketball, I'd choose creighton over bc any one of the last 5 years and for at least then next 5 years to come
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCHerbert on Thu May 14, 2015 9:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The amount of sympathy I have for the facilities excuse is nominal. Get to mediocre and we can discuss facilities. I guarantee that Daz gets his facilities long before anyone in hoop smells daily Nature Bars.

Facilities are important these days.
Why wait to become mediocre?
You wait to become mediocre and then the program falls beyond Colgate level.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 14, 2015 9:31 am

Facilities are not the solution to this problem. Take one twentieth of the amount you will spend on facilities and hire a good coach, like you did in football. Once you show that level of commitment, fine spend money on facilities. But you are fucking nuts if you think the Oregon locker room can fix the problem with the BC basketball team. And you're stupid if you don't think a good coach can't.

Facilities may help the 4 and 5 stars decide which top program they would like to attend. They don't fix bad basketball programs.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu May 14, 2015 9:50 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Facilities are not the solution to this problem. Take one twentieth of the amount you will spend on facilities and hire a good coach, like you did in football. Once you show that level of commitment, fine spend money on facilities. But you are fucking nuts if you think the Oregon locker room can fix the problem with the BC basketball team. And you're stupid if you don't think a good coach can't.

Facilities may help the 4 and 5 stars decide which top program they would like to attend. They don't fix bad basketball programs.

They aren't mutually exclusive at all. Also, facilities are essentially idiot proof, hiring a good coach is somewhat hard.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 14, 2015 9:59 am

Like I said, facilities fix problems at a level that BC hasn't reached.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu May 14, 2015 10:02 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Look at the sign in the background here, it is a very BC thing.

This makes me laugh, mostly because the only alternative is to cry.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu May 14, 2015 10:04 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:If you're implying Addazio has had success, I'd point out that our football program is merely a strawberry blonde haired step child, whereas the basketball program is an innocentbystander level flaming red haired step child and therefore the two situations are different.

Which one is atleagle?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu May 14, 2015 1:02 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:If you're implying Addazio has had success, I'd point out that our football program is merely a strawberry blonde haired step child, whereas the basketball program is an innocentbystander level flaming red haired step child and therefore the two situations are different.

Which one is atleagle?

My hair is actually getting darker as I age. I don't even know if I am a true ginger anymore. But don't worry, my skin is still very white and I can't leave the house without SPF 4000.

As for BC's problems...the facilities suck, but they are not our main issue. JC was a better game coach than I expected last year, but now he needs to prove he can recruit. If Spinelli leaves for a midmajor head coaching job, we're screwed.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum