2003 snub

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

2003 snub

Postby Bender on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Was the 2003 tournament snub of the Eagles the worst snub of the 64 team field era?

That 2003 team with a Senior Troy Bell and freshman Craig Smith was left out of the tourney, despite making it to the semi-final of the Big East tournament. They were clearly among the top five teams in the Big East all season, the top four teams all made the Sweet Sixteen. They beat NC State on the road, had a better record than them but NC State was selected ahead of them based largely on an "elite" win over Duke, and Jay Bilas was all over ESPN championing their cause claiming BC had no elite wins despite having won at UConn on the road.

They had obvious blemishes on their resume working against, they lost to Holy Cross, and the JJ Barea Northeastern Huskies, They lost to Coach Christian's Kent State team at a neutral site, but some of their early struggles were a result of Uka Agbai getting injured and the team needed to adjust. I always felt like them making it in off the bubble the year before cost them as well, because that team probably didn't deserve it as much as the 2003 team, the 2002 was on a slide at the end of the season, 2003 was on the upswing.
Bender
Carney Hall

Re: 2003 snub

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:36 pm

no.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:00 pm

I blame Mike Tranghese
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:50 am

Bender {l Wrote}:Was the 2003 tournament snub of the Eagles the worst snub of the 64 team field era?

That 2003 team with a Senior Troy Bell and freshman Craig Smith was left out of the tourney, despite making it to the semi-final of the Big East tournament. They were clearly among the top five teams in the Big East all season, the top four teams all made the Sweet Sixteen. They beat NC State on the road, had a better record than them but NC State was selected ahead of them based largely on an "elite" win over Duke, and Jay Bilas was all over ESPN championing their cause claiming BC had no elite wins despite having won at UConn on the road.

They had obvious blemishes on their resume working against, they lost to Holy Cross, and the JJ Barea Northeastern Huskies, They lost to Coach Christian's Kent State team at a neutral site, but some of their early struggles were a result of Uka Agbai getting injured and the team needed to adjust. I always felt like them making it in off the bubble the year before cost them as well, because that team probably didn't deserve it as much as the 2003 team, the 2002 was on a slide at the end of the season, 2003 was on the upswing.

Upswing? If I remember correctly SU won the national title but other than that it was a down year overall for the big east. There were a ton of bottom feeders for us to feast on which we did but we lost to SU and Pitt which would have been legit wins for our resume. We got blown out in 2 of our last 3 games. UConn literally beat us at home by 37 points for Troy Bell's last game at Conte. That was not a great UConn team. Also St. Joe's hung a 30 point loss on us to start the season. I did not think it was a travesty of justice us not getting a bid. We finished the season getting blown out by Temple in the NIT. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:17 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Bender {l Wrote}:Was the 2003 tournament snub of the Eagles the worst snub of the 64 team field era?

Upswing? If I remember correctly SU won the national title but other than that it was a down year overall for the big east. There were a ton of bottom feeders for us to feast on which we did but we lost to SU and Pitt which would have been legit wins for our resume. We got blown out in 2 of our last 3 games. UConn literally beat us at home by 37 points for Troy Bell's last game at Conte. That was not a great UConn team. Also St. Joe's hung a 30 point loss on us to start the season. I did not think it was a travesty of justice us not getting a bid. We finished the season getting blown out by Temple in the NIT. :ace

It wasn't the greatest season ever for the Big East, but it wasn't down, and it made up 1/4 of the Sweet Sixteen

That Pitt team finished 4th in the country, won the Big East Tourney in a year Cuse won the national title, and went to the Sweet 16. Brandin Knight and Julius Page were on that team.

UConn team had Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor, finished 22th in the county and went to the sweet sixteen.

Notre Dame with Chris Thomas, Matt Carroll and Torin Francis went the the Sweet Sixteen and finished 23rd

Cuse won the national title with Carmelo, Warrick and McNamara.

Mike Sweetney, James Jones, Marcus Hatton, Ryan Gomes were all in the conference at that time.

The Villanova team that year was mediocre in record but had the great freshman class with Fraser, Sumpter Ray and Foye

Otherwise agree with the premise that it wasn't a big slight.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:14 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

It wasn't the greatest season ever for the Big East, but it wasn't down, and it made up 1/4 of the Sweet Sixteen

That Pitt team finished 4th in the country, won the Big East Tourney in a year Cuse won the national title, and went to the Sweet 16. Brandin Knight and Julius Page were on that team.

UConn team had Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor, finished 22th in the county and went to the sweet sixteen.

Notre Dame with Chris Thomas, Matt Carroll and Torin Francis went the the Sweet Sixteen and finished 23rd

Mike Sweetney, James Jones, Marcus Hatton, Ryan Gomes were all in the conference at that time.

The Villanova team that year was mediocre in record but had the great freshman class with Fraser, Sumpter Ray and Foye

Is this an attempt to argue for the sake of an argument? 4 out of 14 teams getting a bid from the big east in my view is a down year for the conference. Agree to disagree? I think we agree on my overall point that we feasted on the shitty teams and struggled against the top teams so a bid was not deserved. Looking it up we went 1-5 against UConn, ND, Pitt and SU. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Is this an attempt to argue for the sake of an argument? 4 out of 14 teams getting a bid from the big east in my view is a down year for the conference. Agree to disagree? I think we agree on my overall point that we feasted on the shitty teams and struggled against the top teams so a bid was not deserved. Looking it up we went 1-5 against UConn, ND, Pitt and SU. :ace

Saying only 4 teams made the tourney is circular logic. He's saying BC should have made the tourney. You're rebutting with BC didn't deserve it because the Big East was down because BC didn't make the tourney.

I don't think BC deserved a bid, but the Big East wasn't really down in a year when all 4 teams went to the Sweet 16 and one won the National Title, but didn't win its conference.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:39 pm

As far as upswing goes, they went into the conference tourney 9-2 over their last 11 games, and lost in the tourney to the #4 team in the country and eventual tourney champion.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:22 pm

It was a big snub. Team deserved to be in the tournament.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:17 pm

I don't know that the Temple blowout in the NIT is a good indicator. Half of the teams every year that get "snubbed" don't give anything resembling a fuck about the NIT (see 2010-2011 BC). Temple vs BC in the NCAA sure wouldnt have been a blowout.

'03 wasn't a snub in my opinion.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:13 pm

They got blown out by uconn in the last game of the regular season on national tv which didn't help. Their only other loss down the stretch was at the RAC against a terrible Rutgers team. No evidence to prove this, but I have always felt that BC got snubbed because of the year before. The year before BC was a controversial addition to the tournament off the bubble and then went out and played like dogshit against Texas. Ryan Sidney went scoreless and was embarrassingly bad. I always felt that BC got penalized for the previous years transgressions.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:59 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:No evidence to prove this, but I have always felt that BC got snubbed because of the year before. The year before BC was a controversial addition to the tournament off the bubble and then went out and played like dogshit against Texas. Ryan Sidney went scoreless and was embarrassingly bad. I always felt that BC got penalized for the previous years transgressions.

This. It was a major snub and talked about extensively as such at the time. The Big East showed during the tourney that they deserved more than the least amount of teams in their history. I recall Tranghese saying something about not lobbying for BC because he didn't want to hurt the chances of one or two other bubble Big East teams. I saw this as a typical Tranghese move of not wanting to support a FB school at the risk of a BB school. When this snub happened, one of my first posts in reaction was something to the effect of "Fuck it. GDF should call the ACC and see if they need a 10th school." Funny how that worked out.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:09 am

HJS {l Wrote}: When this snub happened, one of my first posts in reaction was something to the effect of "Fuck it. GDF should call the ACC and see if they need a 10th school." Funny how that worked out.

This is HJS' Ulysses right here, a fucking masterpiece.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}: When this snub happened, one of my first posts in reaction was something to the effect of "Fuck it. GDF should call the ACC and see if they need a 10th school." Funny how that worked out.

Wow, so that's where the idea started!
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:41 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The pure awesomeness of this HJS post will largely go unnoticed because he wasted his magnum opus on the hoops w3irdoz.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:26 am

HJS' 2003 post needs to be found and preserved - it may be up there with footnote 4 of Carolene Products, or Paine's "Common Sense" in terms of historical documents that spawned a new idea - a whole new way of thinking - and that went on to change everything.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The pure awesomeness of this HJS post will largely go unnoticed because he wasted his magnum opus on the hoops w3irdoz.

Wait, didn't HJS hatch this idea in 1991 after FSU joined the ACC the year after Penn State jilted the Big East, which as I'm sure we all are aware, was more than enough for a prognosticator of his ilk to see that the writing was on the wall.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:24 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:HJS' 2003 post needs to be found and preserved - it may be up there with footnote 4 of Carolene Products, or Paine's "Common Sense" in terms of historical documents that spawned a new idea - a whole new way of thinking - and that went on to change everything.

x4nd0r deleted records going back that far. that's all part of the beauty of moj's post - it can neither be researched nor challenged.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum