VT Gamethread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: VT Gamethread

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:00 pm

So they won. And yet, the low IQ effort they put on over the last 10 minutes or so of the game managed to destroy whatever joy I was taking from the win. I just want this season to be over And this collection of awful to just go away.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:01 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:Hey, another W. We must be on the bubble now, right?

StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby wildcat81 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:07 am

Nice win Eagles.
wildcat81
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:15 am

for as bad as we are, vt is an absolutely miserable basketball program...any way we can have the acc alter the schedule so we're 'rivals' with them instead of nd / cuse?

kudos to clifford, as much shit as i've given him this year these past couple of games he's been good.

wtf happened to odio, he was never a basketball player but at least he was servicable for 5 minutes a couple of years ago. i can't recall the last bc player to look so lost on a basketball court. at this point i'd rather see cain-carney play.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby cremins on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:58 am

this team, although out talented and out manned, play hard each game, and christian has them continuing to play hard.
if we had some more talent and the guys didnt get so tired at end of games, we have like 6 more wins right now.
clifford needs to hit the weight room hard this offseason, would love to see olivier come back next year and move up
on the bc scoring page, maybe make one last run with the young guys, but i dont see it happening.
odio i dont know where he went wrong this year, he used to rebound well, hit the open three, and he basically did
all the little things to help him play but this year has been really bad, not sure what happpened, he is out of positon
all the time and can but a three. but a great block tho. good win, get one more against wake and maybe a win or
two in the tourney and lets move on.
cremins
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:45 am

All snark aside, I'm happy for the players for putting together a winning streak. The streak is small and doesn't matter much in the standings, but they could have quit and they didn't.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:48 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:All snark aside, I'm happy for the players for putting together a winning streak. The streak is small and doesn't matter much in the standings, but they could have quit and they didn't.

i'd say that i am glad they stopped quitting. they quit for a good portion of the losing streak so i'm happy they stopped quitting. the fact that they quit in the first place makes it hard for me to be proud on any level
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:13 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:All snark aside, I'm happy for the players for putting together a winning streak. The streak is small and doesn't matter much in the standings, but they could have quit and they didn't.

i'd say that i am glad they stopped quitting. they quit for a good portion of the losing streak so i'm happy they stopped quitting. the fact that they quit in the first place makes it hard for me to be proud on any level

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm glad they clinched at least 14th place. Didn't want another basement finish on our historical resume.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:So they won. And yet, the low IQ effort they put on over the last 10 minutes or so of the game managed to destroy whatever joy I was taking from the win. I just want this season to be over And this collection of awful to just go away.

I definitely agree that this collection of players are stupid. Cause of optimism here in a few points:

1. Near the end of the game, the announcers stated that BC is averaging giving up around 67 ppg, down almost double digits from last season. At that point in the game, VT was on 57. It is undeniable that the team is playing much better defense over all, even though Hanlan takes a few plays off from time to time to conserve energy, and Clifford is not a tremendous rack protector.

2. Feel like the effort from a bunch of guys that probably should have mailed it in months ago shines well on the head coach. He has kept them playing hard. While the recent success is largely a byproduct of Hanaln taking over games, it is clear that the team is still playing hard (evidenced also by point #1). While on these intangibles, I think the decision to infuse Brown and Batten into this program will have more lasting effect than the obvious 15 ppg from Brown and the defensive intensity from Batten - if this type of toughness is what JC wants, BC will be okay.

3. The offense, while crippled by a lack of talent, is actually interesting to watch. Since the Louisville game, I have watched to see if Pitino was on to something with the motion in JC's offense or he was simply blowing smoke. While I don't think it is anything earth shattering, I have cautious optimism that with a PG, a shooter and some athletes, BC can put up some points. It will interesting to see what happens if Hanlan stays to play with the incoming guys, especially the Florida kid.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:40 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:they quit for a good portion of the losing streak so i'm happy they stopped quitting.

You're not the only one here who thinks they quit during the losing streak, but I never bought into that theory. They were outmatched often, and they had no confidence, but I don't think they were ever indifferent about what was going on between the lines.

I'd also stop short of saying that I'm proud of this team. I'm happy for the players for proving something to themselves last night, but I'm not proud of this team.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:45 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:they quit for a good portion of the losing streak so i'm happy they stopped quitting.

You're not the only one here who thinks they quit during the losing streak, but I never bought into that theory. They were outmatched often, and they had no confidence, but I don't think they were ever indifferent about what was going on between the lines.

I'd also stop short of saying that I'm proud of this team. I'm happy for the players for proving something to themselves last night, but I'm not proud of this team.

@Clemson, @ND were total mail in jobs. The other ones like @Pitt and @Cuse they just played crappy
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 am

Every team quits on games. NCST quit on Saturday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:51 am

While we are talking about this, if Aaron Brown would please leave his (1) jump shot, (2) intensity and (3) his desire to go to the basket at every opportunity with Garland Owens at graduation, we might have ourselves an all-ACC player.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:24 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Every team quits on games. NCST quit on Saturday.

I get your point but I think you used a poor example. NCST has quit in as many games this year as we have. Gotfried can't get them to come out and play hard on a consistent basis, never mind the major issues he has with in game coaching.

Ok. How is that a bad example? Crappy effort is crappy effort regardless of talent
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:25 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:While we are talking about this, if Aaron Brown would please leave his (1) jump shot, (2) intensity and (3) his desire to go to the basket at every opportunity with Garland Owens at graduation, we might have ourselves an all-ACC player.

Transferring to UMBC or a similar school would be a wise move for Owens.

His athleticism is ACC, his basketball ability is YMCA.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:55 am

At Clemson and at ND were mail in jobs. At Syracuse was not pretty, but they competed in the second half. At Pitt, they were down 5 with three minutes left, when Brown missed the front end of a one and one. there was no quit in this game. The only thing that has got me through this crapfest of a season is that they seem to be playing hard for Christian despite the losing. That speaks well of him.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:31 pm

I don't think BC quit much at all this season. They were in almost every game and they pretty much suck at basketball.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I don't think BC quit much at all this season. They were in almost every game and they pretty much suck at basketball.

Nor do I. They quit in the two games mentioned.

If someone can translate that nonsense that Jigghi wrote above that would be great.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:55 pm

I admittedly haven't seen every game, but there's a big difference between quitting and losing a game you should have won. For example, they lost in epic style against Pitt, but they didn't quit. They just played like shit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:09 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I don't think BC quit much at all this season. They were in almost every game and they pretty much suck at basketball.

If someone can translate that nonsense that Jigghi wrote above that would be great.

Fixed the equivocal statement above for you.

To further clarify, not much can be taken from this season except for the fact that we are not good and that JC appears to be better than the Don.

Another takeaway is that Christian is a better gameday coach than advertised
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:13 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Fixed the equivocal statement above for you.

To further clarify, not much can be taken from this season except for the fact that we are not good and that JC appears to be better than the Don.

Another takeaway is that Christian is a better gameday coach than advertised

He also got a team to play defense that has little athletic ability, and hadn't done so in 4 years. He also has a nice ability with the chalkboard in late game situational basketball. His play designs to get shots with no time and to free Hanlan for threes were particularly excellent.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi Foot, Eepstein, et al:

I haven't watched either of the wins. Why is the real priapus banned?

thanks,

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:28 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:...Why is the real priapus banned?

thanks,

he isn't
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:31 pm

thanks,

he isn't

Oh. Well then, why was his banning requested of Murt, the benevolent and righteous?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:32 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

thanks,

he isn't

Oh. Well then, why was his banning requested of Murt, the benevolent and righteous?

because the lbl wants him to post as his original, deleted name.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:47 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

thanks,

he isn't

Oh. That would be better.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Not that this matters in the slightest, but drawing Carolina on Wednesday in the ACCT would be a disaster, they are an awful matchup for an undersized BC team not to mention that place will be 20,000 Carolina fans. Better off playing Pitt or Miami if we sneak through Tuesday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Not that this matters in the slightest, but drawing Carolina on Wednesday in the ACCT would be a disaster, they are an awful matchup for an undersized BC team not to mention that place will be 20,000 Carolina fans. Better off playing Pitt or Miami if we sneak through Tuesday.

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:15 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

thanks,

he isn't

Oh. That would be better.

Thank you.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum