Next Year

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Next Year

Postby commavegarage on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:06 am

I fawn over Shawntrez Davis because his name is Shawntrez Davis.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:14 am

Clifford is not good at basketball.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:14 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}: Also, I don't understand the fawning over Shawntrez Davis. He's got 90 seconds of footage on youtube and there's nothing more than him catching the ball a foot away from the basket and doing a dunk or a lay up. .

granted that is a skll we currently don't have on our team
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:18 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}: Also, I don't understand the fawning over Shawntrez Davis. He's got 90 seconds of footage on youtube and there's nothing more than him catching the ball a foot away from the basket and doing a dunk or a lay up. .

Wish Clifford would go up and dunk once in a while. He's either too scared or doesn't catch the ball cleanly.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:30 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Barring injury, Clifford is the starting 5 next year without a doubt. The only real question is whether we play Magarity/Diallo next to him at the 4 in a two-big-man lineup. Also, I don't understand the fawning over Shawntrez Davis. He's got 90 seconds of footage on youtube and there's nothing more than him catching the ball a foot away from the basket and doing a dunk or a lay up. I don't understand his recruitment either, it seems a little "off" to me that a top 100 kid from Georgia could get offered by BC in the winter of his senior year and we instantly make his top schools list. Seems like this might be a Jeremy Miller situation or the academic issue is real, in which case he's not coming here anyway. Personally, I think Michael Edwards might actually be better. The way that more power conference schools are getting interested in him as time goes on seems like a good sign and I think he is athletic enough to guard the 4 spot as well as big enough to guard the 5 spot.

If the staff is going to start the best players, Dennis Clifford isn't starting. Go to a game early and simply watch Diallo warm up. If Magairty wasn't concussed Clifford would start on this year's team!

Davis is a fantastic rebounder and athlete. We don't have much of that in case you didn't notice.

I have no problem with the Edwards kid, but he is clearly the backup plan to if they can't land Davis. Land either kid and I feel pretty good about our big men next year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:31 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Clifford is not good at basketball.

He's good at being tall, which for 15 minutes a night off the bench would be fine.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:31 am

Clifford's the best defender and the best rebounder. Watch the way Clifford is able to jump out at the ball handler on a pick and roll and recover back to the big man, then watch anyone else on the team try to do it. It's night and day. He is also the only big man I trust to set screens without being called for offensive fouls. The missed shots are annoying but that is a small part of his game, you will notice we very rarely try to post him up.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:34 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Clifford's the best defender and the best rebounder. Watch the way Clifford is able to jump out at the ball handler on a pick and roll and recover back to the big man, then watch anyone else on the team try to do it. It's night and day. He is also the only big man I trust to set screens without being called for offensive fouls. The missed shots are annoying but that is a small part of his game, you will notice we very rarely try to post him up.

Jesus Christ, no he is not. His pick and roll defense, if you can call it that, sucks. And its absence is a direct cause of the Pitt loss.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:36 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Clifford's the best defender and the best rebounder. Watch the way Clifford is able to jump out at the ball handler on a pick and roll and recover back to the big man, then watch anyone else on the team try to do it. It's night and day. He is also the only big man I trust to set screens without being called for offensive fouls. The missed shots are annoying but that is a small part of his game, you will notice we very rarely try to post him up.

As ridiculous as this sounds and I know it does, go watch Diallo warm up for a game.

Again Clifford is fine, his weaknesses are magnified because he has no help at PF whatsoever.

The two of them at C next year will leave us in fine shape and allow Magarity to play the stretch PF
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Wish Clifford would go up and dunk once in a while. He's either too scared or doesn't catch the ball cleanly.

i wish he would get angry / be physical

you're 7' tall, grab the ball, go up strong and finish
Last edited by claver2010 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:37 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Jesus Christ, no he is not. His pick and roll defense, if you can call it that, sucks. And its absence is a direct cause of the Pitt loss.

The fact every team we play runs pick and roll with Clifford's man should tell everyone all they need to know.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonChillage on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:38 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Boston College 8 {l Wrote}:1. do we keep caudill

why?

Because we aren't getting 4 transfers and he can jam the lane in practice

i'd rather bc save the $60+ k

Yup.
"I love this moment so much I want to have sex with it"
BostonChillage
n00b

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:46 am

I am I believe one of two posters on this board who has seen Diallo play (in the exhibition game) and he basically looked like he didn't know what to do with himself and when we tried to pass him the ball he panicked and fumbled it repeatedly. I think he'll be good but right now he's behind Clifford and Magarity on the depth chart.

And Clifford is absolutely, no doubt in the world, our best defender for a big man and especially in a pick and roll situation. Even if you all disagree I'll take solace in knowing that the staff agrees with me based on the fact that he's the starter now and he will be next year.

The fact every team we play runs pick and roll with Clifford's man should tell everyone all they need to know.

Everyone runs a pick and roll on everyone's big man. It's a staple of modern basketball. If they really thought he was a terrible defender they'd just post him up directly, as teams often do when Odio or Cain Carney comes into the game.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:07 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I am I believe one of two posters on this board who has seen Diallo play (in the exhibition game) and he basically looked like he didn't know what to do with himself and when we tried to pass him the ball he panicked and fumbled it repeatedly. I think he'll be good but right now he's behind Clifford and Magarity on the depth chart.

And Clifford is absolutely, no doubt in the world, our best defender for a big man and especially in a pick and roll situation. Even if you all disagree I'll take solace in knowing that the staff agrees with me based on the fact that he's the starter now and he will be next year.

Everyone runs a pick and roll on everyone's big man. It's a staple of modern basketball. If they really thought he was a terrible defender they'd just post him up directly, as teams often do when Odio or Cain Carney comes into the game.

You are out on a limb and I can hear cracking noises. Magarity would start if he wasn't hurt. Enough said.

Clifford is an awful post defender for a guy his size. Just awful. Diallo's athleticism will make him better on D by merely existing.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:15 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You are out on a limb and I can hear cracking noises. Magarity would start if he wasn't hurt. Enough said.

Clifford is an awful post defender for a guy his size. Just awful. Diallo's athleticism will make him better on D by merely existing.

I think you're out on a limb. Magarity's been here 2 years and he hasn't stolen Clifford's job yet when both have been healthy. I'm going to avoid the argument about Clifford being an awful post defender by saying he's OUR best post defender and I am very confident about that. And finally, Eddie Odio is proof that being athletic does not automatically transfer into being a good defender - although I would be surprised and disappointed if Diallo didn't ultimately end up as a better defender than Clifford.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:20 am

Corporal Funishment is really pissing me off today. Clifford is not starting next year.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:23 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You are out on a limb and I can hear cracking noises. Magarity would start if he wasn't hurt. Enough said.

I think you're out on a limb. Magarity's been here 2 years and he hasn't stolen Clifford's job yet when both have been healthy. I'm going to avoid the argument about Clifford being an awful post defender by saying he's OUR best post defender and I am very confident about that. And finally, Eddie Odio is proof that being athletic does not automatically transfer into being a good defender - although I would be surprised and disappointed if Diallo didn't ultimately end up as a better defender than Clifford.

Magarity stole his job about 3 weeks ago. Then he got a concussion. Do you watch these miserable fucking games?

Odio is not a good athlete. He can jump high if no one is around to blow wind in his direction and knock him over.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:39 am

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true. Clifford's going to be the captain next year, he's going to represent us at ACC media day, there's going to be about 5 articles in the offseason about how "local kid looks to finish career strong after knee injuries," Christian's going to have a bunch of quotes about how Clifford's a great leader and he's important to the culture of the team, and Clifford's going to be your starting center next year.

Also I think the only games Clifford didn't start were when he had that virus or whatever it was although I admit I may be wrong. when Magarity's having a good game he should and does get the majority of the minutes, but on most nights it's Clifford and there's a reason for that. And yes, trust me I suffer through all the games, often in person.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:47 am

hey siriuzkeeper - do you have any inside word on whether we should expect clifford to be at 100% next year? if so, maybe we could declare a redshirt on diallo and let him develop his confidence along side caudill on the practice squad for another year and ride clifford's healthy knees to the ncaa's.

just the second round, though. i don't want to issue any unreachable or unrealistic goals
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:50 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true. Clifford's going to be the captain next year, he's going to represent us at ACC media day, there's going to be about 5 articles in the offseason about how "local kid looks to finish career strong after knee injuries," Christian's going to have a bunch of quotes about how Clifford's a great leader and he's important to the culture of the team, and Clifford's going to be your starting center next year.

Also I think the only games Clifford didn't start were when he had that virus or whatever it was although I admit I may be wrong. when Magarity's having a good game he should and does get the majority of the minutes, but on most nights it's Clifford and there's a reason for that. And yes, trust me I suffer through all the games, often in person.

None of your first paragraph is relevant to anything. Sean Duggan did all of that for the football team and did not start.

Clifford stinks. He's not starting next year.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:00 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:hey siriuzkeeper - do you have any inside word on whether we should expect clifford to be at 100% next year? if so, maybe we could declare a redshirt on diallo and let him develop his confidence along side caudill on the practice squad for another year and ride clifford's healthy knees to the ncaa's.

just the second round, though. i don't want to issue any unreachable or unrealistic goals

I think it depends. If he plays well, we'll know he's finally healthy, if not, not.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Mitch on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:07 pm

What occurs to me is that Magarity's most natural position is as a point forward (very good backdoor passer and good shooter from range which stretched the defense---reminds me some of Trapani)---which is why I've been hoping to see him play some at the 4, certainly over Odio whose funk has reached its nadir.

I would also like to see Coach Christian play his matchup zone more often, especially late in games (been saying that for many weeks now). When you are not as deep, or as athletic as your opponent---a good matchup zone can help you win. Still can't believe how Brown never got himself into a defender's stance to stop the second string Miami point guard---and did the unthinkable twice in a row by fouling him and stopping the clock with a 4 point lead. Good to see Coach Christian sub Owens in for Brown on defense after that. Man, the team really gets a lift by Owen's athleticism---that put-back slam was a thing of beauty---and just what BC needs more of, some hunger for offensive rebounds.

Been feeling bad for Heckmann---I thought his play in the Miami game was outstanding---he played so well within himself---his passing was superb (the dish he made on the Clifford dunk was textbook)---plus he was scrapping for offensive rebounds and tip outs as well as he ever has. Then he makes the great fake and drive and somehow leaves his layup short. There was no justice in that, imho. Heckmann deserved to win that game for BC as he was the headsiest player on the floor all game.

Good to see Hanlan getting off the stronger starts---now Coach Christian has to start insisting that Hanlan take the big shots late in games---or at least find the open man when he collapses the defense. I sure hope Hanlan stays and finishes out his career at BC.
Mitch
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true. Clifford's going to be the captain next year, he's going to represent us at ACC media day, there's going to be about 5 articles in the offseason about how "local kid looks to finish career strong after knee injuries," Christian's going to have a bunch of quotes about how Clifford's a great leader and he's important to the culture of the team, and Clifford's going to be your starting center next year.

it's not worth it with these anyone is better than Chris Crane posters. Anyone with eyes should know that Clifford, especially once healthy, is light years better defensively than Magarity and any slight shift in balance that a soft front facing non-rebounding jump shooter brings is completely erased by matador defense and accruing fouls at a staggering rate. Now maybe Diallo will be a 5 and someone else who we don't know about will start at the 4, but probably not since that person isn't even in the equation right now but there is a zero percent chance Magarity is the starting 5 absent further Clifford injury. Zero.

This post has been written in a style dedicated to our friend nospace, wherever he may be.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

None of your first paragraph is relevant to anything. Sean Duggan did all of that for the football team and did not start.

Okay, I go on record that Clifford is a starter next year (BARRING INJURY, TRANSFER OUT OF CLIFFORD, OR TRANSFER IN OF A PLAYER WHO IS NOT ON THE CURRENT ROSTER). You go the record that he is not. No sense arguing, we'll just have to wait until next year to see. I'll set an alert for myself to refer back to this topic next October. Would you like me to set an alert for you to start preparing your concession speech in September? :)

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:13 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:it's not worth it with these anyone is better than Chris Crane posters. Anyone with eyes should know that Clifford, especially once healthy, is light years better defensively than Magarity and any slight shift in balance that a soft front facing non-rebounding jump shooter brings is completely erased by matador defense and accruing fouls at a staggering rate. Now maybe Diallo will be a 5 and someone else who we don't know about will start at the 4, but probably not since that person isn't even in the equation right now but there is a zero percent chance Magarity is the starting 5 absent further Clifford injury. Zero.

This post has been written in a style dedicated to our friend nospace, wherever he may be.

Thank you for confirming I haven't gone insane. The real crazy thing is, I still like the discussions of BC basketball here way better than those on BC Interruption, where out of principle I refuse to post.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:15 pm

your avatar is still mesmerizing
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Okay, I go on record that Clifford is a starter next year (BARRING INJURY, TRANSFER OUT OF CLIFFORD, OR TRANSFER IN OF A PLAYER WHO IS NOT ON THE CURRENT ROSTER). You go the record that he is not. No sense arguing, we'll just have to wait until next year to see. I'll set an alert for myself to refer back to this topic next October. Would you like me to set an alert for you to start preparing your concession speech in September? :)

Frankly Clifford is so bad that if he is starting again next season, I won't be watching because they will fucking suck again, so I probably won't notice you gloat about being right that the team still blows. The hope is that they have landed a couple of ACC players to go with Hanlan, so that Clifford and his ilk can come off the bench.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:22 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:it's not worth it with these anyone is better than Chris Crane posters. Anyone with eyes should know that Clifford, especially once healthy, is light years better defensively than Magarity and any slight shift in balance that a soft front facing non-rebounding jump shooter brings is completely erased by matador defense and accruing fouls at a staggering rate. Now maybe Diallo will be a 5 and someone else who we don't know about will start at the 4, but probably not since that person isn't even in the equation right now but there is a zero percent chance Magarity is the starting 5 absent further Clifford injury. Zero.

Thank you for confirming I haven't gone insane. The real crazy thing is, I still like the discussions of BC basketball here way better than those on BC Interruption, where out of principle I refuse to post.

He basically said he doesnt' watch the games, but he agrees with you because he wants to stir shit up. You're still crazy. And Clifford is still the worst 7' tall defender I have ever seen.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

He basically said he doesnt' watch the games, but he agrees with you because he wants to stir shit up. You're still crazy. And Clifford is still the worst 7' tall defender I have ever seen.

Incorrect, that was not costco boxscore watching I was referring to, it was saying things pompously with unnecessary over emphasis on said certainty. Zero.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:51 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Incorrect, that was not costco boxscore watching I was referring to, it was saying things pompously with unnecessary over emphasis on said certainty. Zero.

Okay then, well I gave you too much credit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum