Dean Smith: Senile No More - Now Dead and Loving It

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Dean Smith: Senile No More - Now Dead and Loving It

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:22 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Other than the national title season, MD hoop is above average in the same way Herb Sendek is above average as a coach.

narrowing it down to just one year is shortsighted as well. they were in back-to-back final fours and won the acc a few times.

if maryland is above average then bc is average to below average.

BC has been well below average lately, like Wake. Maryland is a better program.

agreed. i just think it looks like sour grapes when bc fans start pointing out the mediocrity of other programs that have done much more than our program. especially when they do it with a former bc coach, as in maryland's case

I can both acknowledge that BC currently blows and accurately note that Maryland is mediocre with there being any sour grapes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Other than the national title season, MD hoop is above average in the same way Herb Sendek is above average as a coach.

narrowing it down to just one year is shortsighted as well. they were in back-to-back final fours and won the acc a few times.

if maryland is above average then bc is average to below average.

BC has been well below average lately, like Wake. Maryland is a better program.

agreed. i just think it looks like sour grapes when bc fans start pointing out the mediocrity of other programs that have done much more than our program. especially when they do it with a former bc coach, as in maryland's case

I can both acknowledge that BC currently blows and accurately note that Maryland is mediocre with there being any sour grapes.

exactly my point, inadvertent typo
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby footer20 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:30 pm

My dad is a Maryland alum so I've paid attention to them. Their Final Four years we're awesome, and college basketball was at its peak then. Those Maryland-Duke games were better than any UNC-Duke games of the recent era. Juan Dixon was a baller. Steve Blake and CJ Wilcox played 10+ seasons in the pros and Byron Mouton and Lonny Baxter were great college players. After they all graduated, they struggled for a bit. DJ Strawberry, Nik Caner Medley and Greivis Vasquez were all solid but ultimately, the big recruits they got - Mike James, Travis Garrison, James Gist, Ekene Ibekwe, Braxton Dupree and even Eric Hayes - were all less than advertised. They also struggled recruiting in D.C./Maryland for a while, losing guys like Jeff Green, Roy Hibbert, Jessie Sapp, Dajuan Summers, Chris Wright, and Austin Freeman to Georgetown in that same time span. Ultimately, they have far more tradition than BC but much like us have seen recruiting failures hurt them in recent times.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby GlorytoBC on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:18 am

Maryland was good when Lefty Driesell was there in the 70s and 80s, Gary Williams also did a very good job there from '94 to '04. Maryland has a good basketball history, but some people do tend to over-rate it. The way ESPN used to promote the Duke/Maryland game made my head hurt. It deserved all the promotion in the world in 2001, 2002 and 2003, but after that, no. Maryland was traditionally Duke's fourth biggest rival after the three other Tobacco road schools.

Maryland hasn't been very good since 2004. This is actually the first year that I can remember in a while that they are going to spend the majority of the year in the Top 25.
GlorytoBC
Carney Hall

Postby jimmyjam48 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:05 pm

Did you know that UNC beat BC in the ACC Tournament? That makes me happy because my dad bought me a UNC sweatshirt from Wal-Mart for my 5th birthday right before he walked out on me and Mommy so he could live with Lance, his dance instructor. They liked to tango :spaz3 :spaz3 :spaz3

Good luck to your team in future years.
jimmyjam48
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:09 pm

If that piece of shit is still dead, I think we're all winners here.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:11 pm

Interesting usage of the spaz emoticon.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:43 pm

jimmyjam48 {l Wrote}:Did you know that UNC beat BC in the ACC Tournament? That makes me happy because my dad bought me a UNC sweatshirt from Wal-Mart for my 5th birthday right before he walked out on me and Mommy so he could live with Lance, his dance instructor. They liked to tango :spaz3 :spaz3 :spaz3

Good luck to your team in future years.

i am home. i may swing by the old chapel hill cemetary to leave dean a little "gift" to help the grass grow on his grave. it's warm enough tonight to be quite comfortable.

i'll bring my copy of si to read while i do my business... it will help me think of my favorite dean smith moment

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum