Louisville Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Louisville Game

Postby BCHerbert on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:12 pm

A nice moral victory.
The tallest and oldest team in the country falls to 9-10.
Good night bois!
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:00 am

Magerity has turned himself into a legitimate starting PF/C in the ACC. This new minutes split between him and Clifford should continue. Magerity and Diallo starting next year could be fun to watch.

Another good effort from BC, but their lack of anything that resembles depth does them in every time. The Odio/Dragevich/Owens/Clifford crew doesn't work in the ACC.

UofL also has amazing guards.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:17 am

Some thoughts:

7 turnovers with this personnel against that press is pretty impressive. McGarrity flashing down the middle (every.single.thread) helped break it numerous times.
Agreed this 3-1 McGarrity to Clifford minutes should continue.
I'm shocked they only had 4 offensive rebounds, granted it helps when you shoot 58%
The nerds actually showed up which was nice.
Good Heckmann has showed up of late. The offense works much better with him at the 4. I know he frustrates people but he's one of several on this team that belongs on this level.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:...

Agreed this 3-1 McGarrity to Clifford minutes should continue...

just imagine what happens when clifford is finally healthy
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:59 am

Steve Donahue ought to be on trial for crimes against humanity for assembling and then inflicting this atrocity of a roster on the sport of basketball. I'll admit to warming to Christian as an Xs and Os coach--of course, that ability will be irrelevant if he doesn't step up the recruiting. I won't rehash anything already said about personnel, the way it was deployed and how it performed, but I will say that there was no point in this game--even when it was close--that I ever felt that we had even a glimmer of a chance in this game.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:24 am

that's been 2 of my big takeaways this year:

1) after 4 years of donahue recruiting the talent on this roster is atrocious (EEPSTEIN POST!). There are multiple players on this roster where BC would be better served pocketing the $60k or whatever it is.
2) Christian is a better gameday coach than advertised. Despite personnel they had no problem breaking the Louisville press.

As you said the key will be getting the talent
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:38 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:that's been 2 of my big takeaways this year:

1) after 4 years of donahue recruiting the talent on this roster is atrocious (EEPSTEIN POST!). There are multiple players on this roster where BC would be better served pocketing the $60k or whatever it is.
2) Christian is a better gameday coach than advertised. Despite personnel they had no problem breaking the Louisville press.

There is no reason to give a 5th year to anyone on the roster except for Clifford.

Jackson can go find some DIII school in California who I'm sure would love to have him.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:There is no reason to give a 5th year to anyone on the roster except for Clifford.

You give Jackson a 5th year because he's proven he can contribute and because we have 5 open roster spots next year. I say you sit down with Caudill after the season and tell him if he commits to a workout/diet program and follows it perfectly for the next year he's welcome to get a free master's degree from BC and retake the rotation spot Cain Carney won from him, and if not, see ya later.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:There is no reason to give a 5th year to anyone on the roster except for Clifford.

You give Jackson a 5th year because he's proven he can contribute and because we have 5 open roster spots next year. I say you sit down with Caudill after the season and tell him if he commits to a workout/diet program and follows it perfectly for the next year he's welcome to get a free master's degree from BC and retake the rotation spot Cain Carney won from him, and if not, see ya later.

caudill another year :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

i think he stopped wearing the jersey / shorts this year because we couldnt find sizes big enough for him
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:37 pm

Wait, what?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:56 pm

I may start periodically posting complimentary things about Jackson and Odio in random threads just to watch Teddy and Epstein's heads explode.

Here's an excerpt from an interview Caudill did with USA basketball:

What has your experience at training camp been like so far?
It's been tough, but it's been fun too. I know it's making me a better player, as hard as we're going and as intense as we're playing.

When you arrived here and saw all the other athletes here at the U.S. Olympic Training Center, what were your thoughts?
It was very eye-opening because I knew I had to step my game up. This is like a few steps away from the Olympics.

During the orientation you saw a highlight video that showed both the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team and the '92 Dream Team. What did that mean for you?
I realized that someday I want to be on that level and hopefully be on a Dream Team with these guys that I'm playing with now, playing (with them) in the 2016 Olympics or whenever.

What were your thoughts when you opened the letter of invitation from USA Basketball?
I was excited, I really was. I didn't expect it at all. So it was really exciting for me and made me want to work harder before I came here to get into shape.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I may start periodically posting complimentary things about Jackson and Odio in random threads just to watch Teddy and Epstein's heads explode.

I can't wait to care that much.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I may start periodically posting complimentary things about Jackson and Odio in random threads just to watch Teddy and Epstein's heads explode.

Jackson can contribute not playing defense and inability to dribble at another school.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:26 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Jackson can contribute not playing defense and inability to dribble at another school.

That's fine with me, as long as Christian invites him back to contribute his 38% 3 point shooting at BC. :P

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Mitch on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:41 pm

I am very proud of the effort BC made last last night. It was a very entertaining and competitive game. As others have pointed out, BC handled the L'ville press beautifully well. Heckmann was the most poised under pressure he's ever been, and using Magarity as a relief valve in the middle was excellent. Brown was on fire (shooting 3's with authority)---save his drives to the basket where he doesn't have the hops or the hang time to avoid getting swatted---he really should look to pass the ball in those situations, if only BC would stop standing around and watching drives and start moving to open passing lanes, and just as important, start crashing the offensive boards more frequently---which Heckmann, Batten, Magarity and Odio did more of last night and kept some rebounds alive on tip outs, etc.. Batten hustled his tail off. He's an unsung stalwart on both ends, imho.

Hanlan was getting the focus of L'ville's defense, yet he broke them down repeatedly. Yes, he struggled making perimeter shots---but part of it is that he rarely gets shots early in games and then has to press for shots later---it reminds me some of when we had Troy Bell and in first half of games he would make one pass in the flex and either never get the ball back or get it on the elbow extended with a man in his face and a jam packed lane in front of him. What I am hoping Coach Christian will do is to design a couple of set plays to get Hanlan into the scoring flow earlier in games. Coach may even want to post Hanlan up on occasion when Magarity is occupying the center out by the arc---which centers have to do now with Magarity now that he is hitting some threes. Getting Hanlan to the free throw line earlier in games will help him and his percentage later in games. Seems he only gets to the line later on in the second halfs.

Coach Christian went with the zone late in this game---which I think was a very good move, except that Hanlan, partly because of foul trouble did not tilt the zone to the shooters on his side, and the forwards weren't getting out to the wing and corners on the pass as quickly as they should have. Got to give L'ville credit for making the big shots when they needed them most. But, I am sure Coach will show the players the tape and show them how their tentative slides in the zone were giving L'ville's best shooters the kind of open looks none of them should ever have had.

Owens showed some flashes. Odio handled himself with poise and had a nice tip in. Clifford looked like he was still ailing, obviously. However, it's kind of unusual that for a player who has been playing center all his life that he really has no respectable post moves, not even a decent up and under move or a simple turnaround.

That said, with the way BC is driving the ball to the basket, a post game is not imperative. Moving without the ball and crashing the defensive boards is. And if those areas are improved---and Coach finds a way to get the players to slide their feet during crunch time, this team could start getting themselves over the hump. I shit you not. This BC team is becoming surprisingly competitive.
Mitch
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's fine with me, as long as Christian invites him back to contribute his 38% 3 point shooting at BC. :P

I cant wait for those games against Bryant and UNH. Its funny how he always looks comfortable in those America East games.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:30 am

Mitch {l Wrote}:What I am hoping Coach Christian will do is to design a couple of set plays to get Hanlan into the scoring flow earlier in games.

I think this would be a good idea.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BostonChillage on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:44 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

There is no reason to give a 5th year to anyone on the roster except for Clifford.

Jackson can go find some DIII school in California who I'm sure would love to have him.

Jackson would score 30 pts/game in DIII and never shoot the ball inside the three point line.

I actually would prefer him to stay next year, not because I expect him to contribute that meaningfully, but because it might be nice to have one other guard on the floor with playing experience (barring more transfers). Despite his lack of dribbling/defense, as least he's not Ryan Anderson soft and tries to play tough.
"I love this moment so much I want to have sex with it"
BostonChillage
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:52 am

BostonChillage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Jackson would score 30 pts/game in DIII and never shoot the ball inside the three point line.

I actually would prefer him to stay next year, not because I expect him to contribute that meaningfully, but because it might be nice to have one other guard on the floor with playing experience (barring more transfers). Despite his lack of dribbling/defense, as least he's not Ryan Anderson soft and tries to play tough.

What I wouldn't give to have Ryan Anderson's softness back on this team full of tough interior players like Clifford, Heckmann and Magarity.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BostonChillage on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:00 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What I wouldn't give to have Ryan Anderson's softness back on this team full of tough interior players like Clifford, Heckmann and Magarity.

You're 100% right on that account. But he still is soft.
"I love this moment so much I want to have sex with it"
BostonChillage
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:17 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

You're 100% right on that account. But he still is soft.

Its a relative term. He's soft as long as you don't compare him to BC players of the last 7 years.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:57 am

Louisville Penitentiary rolls on
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John