Harvard Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Harvard Game

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:22 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:This sounds pathetic, but I'm glad they got the monkey off their back.

This.

Also, Coach Jim had a good quote about playing defense, "our only chance is to guard, that's our only chance. I think that they're starting to buy into that." I really wonder what Donahue said to these guys about playing defense....if anything.

"Let them score so we get the ball back faster"

Haha...it would have helped if he recruited someone who could shoot.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:42 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Those 5 seconds of that blonde chick might be the highlight of our season

Suddenly I'm a tennis fan.

Do believe this is her.

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/w-tennis ... 21943.html

Stalker
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:58 am

Whomever said Hanlan is not part of the solution is right on. He's by far the most talented player on the court and he looks like he could give a rat's ass. Hey Olivier, try covering the little dude nailing all the threes instead of acting like "defense" means "waiting for offense." Then maybe you'll be ready when you step up at the end of the game to miss FTs and open threes.

Guy is the antithesis of guys like Bell or Rice. Should be a dominant player in this league and looks like he doesn't give a fuck. Probably going to cost him some money.

Rest of the team has very little talent but i enjoy watching them play. They work hard and play the best defense they possibly can. While I hated the stretch of turnovers last night after the half (go get the fucking ball Hanlan and stop the bleeding, that's your job) the rest of the game was enjoyable.

Oh, and the Danes were on the Trice as well, and went to 4-0 in the conference. BC would beat them, but it would be a good game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:09 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Whomever said Hanlan is not part of the solution is right on. He's by far the most talented player on the court and he looks like he could give a rat's ass. Hey Olivier, try covering the little dude nailing all the threes instead of acting like "defense" means "waiting for offense." Then maybe you'll be ready when you step up at the end of the game to miss FTs and open threes.

Guy is the antithesis of guys like Bell or Rice. Should be a dominant player in this league and looks like he doesn't give a fuck. Probably going to cost him some money.

Rest of the team has very little talent but i enjoy watching them play. They work hard and play the best defense they possibly can. While I hated the stretch of turnovers last night after the half (go get the fucking ball Hanlan and stop the bleeding, that's your job) the rest of the game was enjoyable.

Oh, and the Danes were on the Trice as well, and went to 4-0 in the conference. BC would beat them, but it would be a good game.

I hate the fact that we don't have hope for the tourny, but I agree with everything you said. D is best it could be, players give effort and hanlan is a joke.

I'de also like to add that this team is extremely mentally soft. I know that porous talent doesnt help but its obscene.

You learn to be mentally tough by being in the battles. This team never learned how to win over the past 4 seasons. The difference is obvious when you realize that much of the defense and all of the mental toughness comes from Brown and Batten, two fifth year transfers.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:21 am

Hanlan's net contribution to the team is better than anyone else's. Anyone who watched the game could see that Harvard had their best defender on Hanlan and were trapping him on pick and rolls ... aka daring anyone BUT Hanlan to beat them. Not to mention he's asked to play 39 minutes a game and the team completely collapses every time he comes off the court. Criticism of the bad clutch free throw shooting is warranted. I actually think his defense isn't appreciably worse than the team's as a whole.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:23 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Whomever said Hanlan is not part of the solution is right on. He's by far the most talented player on the court and he looks like he could give a rat's ass. Hey Olivier, try covering the little dude nailing all the threes instead of acting like "defense" means "waiting for offense." Then maybe you'll be ready when you step up at the end of the game to miss FTs and open threes.

Well said HCTW. Forgot to bring that up re Olivier. That little white kid got consistently open in that 2nd half spurt because Hanlan lost him. Last 5+ minutes of regulation and all of OT, Christian put Batten on him and he did nothing beside chuck bricks.

Agreed, this team works hard on both ends of the floor and while that isn't worth throwing a party over, it's a nice change from last couple of years.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:28 am

Hanlan lost Miller on ONE of his threes. Hanlan wasn't even guarding Miller most of the time, he was guarding Chambers. The egregious shot where Miller was left wide open was on Owens (note how we didn't see much of Owens after that one). Batten and Hanlan both left him open one time as well, then later he hit a 2 point jumper even though his man was all over him (think it was Batten).

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:29 am

love how the few students that were there were drowned out all night by the 8 kids 10 rows behind our bench rooting for harvard
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Whomever said Hanlan is not part of the solution is right on. He's by far the most talented player on the court and he looks like he could give a rat's ass. Hey Olivier, try covering the little dude nailing all the threes instead of acting like "defense" means "waiting for offense." Then maybe you'll be ready when you step up at the end of the game to miss FTs and open threes. Guy is the antithesis of guys like Bell or Rice.

Rest of the team has very little talent but i enjoy watching them play. They work hard and play the best defense they possibly can.

Didn't Olivier have similar bouts in HS? I seem to recall his HS coach talking about toughening him up and making him play more aggressive. If true, Don was probably the worst thing that could have happened to the kid as he let him become timid. Now, Hanlan doesn't play D and chokes in clutch situations. There are only brief moments when he plays aggressive and you see the sick, sick player he could easily become simply by a change in on-court demeanor. That said... even in his current state... the team is much better off with him (i.e. he is not part of the problem). He is still a threat and he still forces the opponent to use his best guys to cover him. Heck... we make it to overtime last night only because Harvard was all over Hanlan (leaving Brown with a very favorable match-up in the paint). Kudos to JC for recognizing that likelihood and drawing up a play to exploit it. BTW... from the little I have seen of this team, JC seems to be an excellent in-game coach.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:44 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Hanlan's net contribution to the team is better than anyone else's. Anyone who watched the game could see that Harvard had their best defender on Hanlan and were trapping him on pick and rolls ... aka daring anyone BUT Hanlan to beat them. Not to mention he's asked to play 39 minutes a game and the team completely collapses every time he comes off the court. Criticism of the bad clutch free throw shooting is warranted. I actually think his defense isn't appreciably worse than the team's as a whole.

His defense is nonexistent, while the rest of the team is actually playing defense. Like I said, he's the most talented player on the court by far, and plays like just another guy.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:46 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Hanlan lost Miller on ONE of his threes. Hanlan wasn't even guarding Miller most of the time, he was guarding Chambers. The egregious shot where Miller was left wide open was on Owens (note how we didn't see much of Owens after that one). Batten and Hanlan both left him open one time as well, then later he hit a 2 point jumper even though his man was all over him (think it was Batten).

Huckaby killed Hanlan on at least three occasions when he sloughed off Miller to not help.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Whomever said Hanlan is not part of the solution is right on. He's by far the most talented player on the court and he looks like he could give a rat's ass. Hey Olivier, try covering the little dude nailing all the threes instead of acting like "defense" means "waiting for offense." Then maybe you'll be ready when you step up at the end of the game to miss FTs and open threes. Guy is the antithesis of guys like Bell or Rice.

Rest of the team has very little talent but i enjoy watching them play. They work hard and play the best defense they possibly can.

Didn't Olivier have similar bouts in HS? I seem to recall his HS coach talking about toughening him up and making him play more aggressive. If true, Don was probably the worst thing that could have happened to the kid as he let him become timid. Now, Hanlan doesn't play D and chokes in clutch situations. There are only brief moments when he plays aggressive and you see the sick, sick player he could easily become simply by a change in on-court demeanor. That said... even in his current state... the team is much better off with him (i.e. he is not part of the problem). He is still a threat and he still forces the opponent to use his best guys to cover him. Heck... we make it to overtime last night only because Harvard was all over Hanlan (leaving Brown with a very favorable match-up in the paint). Kudos to JC for recognizing that likelihood and drawing up a play to exploit it. BTW... from the little I have seen of this team, JC seems to be an excellent in-game coach.

I didn't say they were better without him, he has to play 40 mins. He's just not part of the solution. He's an NBA talent and a CBA player with CYO effort on defense.

What do you want from the kid, he's French Canadian.

Agree on JC, from what I have seen, he coaches well and see adjustments. Moving Batten on Miller was one example, as was the Brown play you referenced. He's also drawn up two sweet out of bounds plays at the end of the last two, one to free up Owens for an easy dunk (ruined only by Hanlan fucking up the pass) and one to free up Hanlan for a wide-open three that he missed.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:55 am

Another comment on Hanlan that got lost in the shuffle - if you want to be a PG instead of a college combo guard, and you do because that is the only way you are getting to the NBA, then there should never, ever, ever be a stretch of the game in which your team has 8 turnovers in 12 possessions against Harvard, most of which come just getting the ball up the floor. Take control of the game and settle your team down, that is your job.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Hanlan lost Miller on ONE of his threes. Hanlan wasn't even guarding Miller most of the time, he was guarding Chambers. The egregious shot where Miller was left wide open was on Owens (note how we didn't see much of Owens after that one). Batten and Hanlan both left him open one time as well, then later he hit a 2 point jumper even though his man was all over him (think it was Batten).

Huckaby killed Hanlan on at least three occasions when he sloughed off Miller to not help.

You're factually wrong. If you're going to blame Hanlan for a guy scoring when Hanlan is guarding another position, then I guess you're right: Hanlan doesn't play defense. Let's blame him for Jahlil Okafor lighting us up too. The guy Hanlan WAS guarding, Chambers, had a pretty bad game.

Hanlan's a mediocre on-ball defender who generates a lot of steals and who ends up looking worse than he is because we have no rim protection. He doesn't foul all that much and I don't consider him to be an excessive gambler. There's a nice, nuanced analysis of his defense which you and JHiggi can summarily ignore because it's so much easier and more satisfying to say he's a joke.

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:23 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You're factually wrong. If you're going to blame Hanlan for a guy scoring when Hanlan is guarding another position, then I guess you're right: Hanlan doesn't play defense. Let's blame him for Jahlil Okafor lighting us up too. The guy Hanlan WAS guarding, Chambers, had a pretty bad game.

Hanlan's a mediocre on-ball defender who generates a lot of steals and who ends up looking worse than he is because we have no rim protection. He doesn't foul all that much and I don't consider him to be an excessive gambler. There's a nice, nuanced analysis of his defense which you and JHiggi can summarily ignore because it's so much easier and more satisfying to say he's a joke.

I bet you like the NBA.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:33 am

Why is Aaron Brown almost always good for a solid 7-10 pts early but then a complete non-factor for the middle 30 minutes or so?

I was IB watching the game on my phone while at another game and the first time I looked we were about ~10 and he was 4-7, then 4-8, 4-9, 4-10, 4-11.......... ends regulation saving game with a layup 5-12.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:42 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Why is Aaron Brown almost always good for a solid 7-10 pts early but then a complete non-factor for the middle 30 minutes or so?

I was IB watching the game on my phone while at another game and the first time I looked we were about ~10 and he was 4-7, then 4-8, 4-9, 4-10, 4-11.......... ends regulation saving game with a layup 5-12.

The game saving play was just good coaching and a nice play call. I agree with you though, he does seem to be a first 10 kind of guy. He seems in good shape, so it's not that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bchockey04 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:55 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:

I hate the fact that we don't have hope for the tourny, but I agree with everything you said. D is best it could be, players give effort and hanlan is a joke.

I'de also like to add that this team is extremely mentally soft. I know that porous talent doesnt help but its obscene.

You learn to be mentally tough by being in the battles. This team never learned how to win over the past 4 seasons. The difference is obvious when you realize that much of the defense and all of the mental toughness comes from Brown and Batten, two fifth year transfers.

I get your point and largely agree. Im just being a cantankerous bastard. I also think that even with W's Donahue recruited a bunch of softies, led by the diva on the court, our NBA PG. I doubt that this team, as constituted, would ever be mentally tough. Do we have anyone that reminds you of a smith, duds, bell, for lesser talented types, hinnant, jermaine watson, Biko Paris, agbai, outside of brown and batten?

I actually think Clifford is developing into this type of player -- at least defensively. He is getting more and more physical on the inside which is a good thing. He had that one block last night where Brown wound up getting a foul and he looked rip shit because it was an absolute swat. If Hanlan would pass him the ball even a couple of times more when he's open after pick and rolls he might actually gain some more confidence on the offensive end as well.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:This sounds pathetic, but I'm glad they got the monkey off their back.

This.

Also, Coach Jim had a good quote about playing defense, "our only chance is to guard, that's our only chance. I think that they're starting to buy into that." I really wonder what Donahue said to these guys about playing defense....if anything.

During Meter's pregame coffee with the coach segment thing, Christian said that the players have set the bar very low for themselves and that they're capable of playing better than they believe they can. Then he said it was his job to get them to believe they are better and to believe they should set the bar higher.

Jury's still out on Christian, but I don't think he was lying here or making excuses. He's inherited a mess.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:36 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:During Meter's pregame coffee with the coach segment thing, Christian said that the players have set the bar very low for themselves and that they're capable of playing better than they believe they can. Then he said it was his job to get them to believe they are better and to believe they should set the bar higher.

Jury's still out on Christian, but I don't think he was lying here or making excuses. He's inherited a mess.

It is awe-inspiring how truly bad Don (yet another GDF failure) was. It's also crazy how posters, like siriuzkeeper, refused to acknowledged the terribleness and then fled to EA when it was apparent their undying support was misplaced.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:40 pm

Are Brown, Batten, & Heckmann really so incapable of bringing the ball up that Steve Pornopiglia needs to get the token 40 seconds before the media timeout every game where the other team inevitably goes on a 6-0 run?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:During Meter's pregame coffee with the coach segment thing, Christian said that the players have set the bar very low for themselves and that they're capable of playing better than they believe they can. Then he said it was his job to get them to believe they are better and to believe they should set the bar higher.

It is awe-inspiring how truly bad Don (yet another GDF failure) was. It's also crazy how posters, like siriuzkeeper, refused to acknowledged the terribleness and then fled to EA when it was apparent their undying support was misplaced.

I will admit that (unlike Spaz) I thought Don might be good here. Then he fooled us, and did okay with a real NBA PG and the holdovers from Al. He got a year pass because the Joe Jones recruiting class looked like it might be pretty decent. But in year three, it was clear he was terrible.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I will admit that (unlike Spaz) I thought Don might be good here. Then he fooled us, and did okay with a real NBA PG and the holdovers from Al. He got a year pass because the Joe Jones recruiting class looked like it might be pretty decent. But in year three, it was clear he was terrible.

I initially really liked the hire of Don. I was disappointed when he failed to make the NCAAs with a loaded team. And, then, I was done when he refused to replace Joe Jones (proving that the rumors about him thinking that recruiting wasn't important were true).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

That was pretty crazy, huh? I think you are all starting to see what a healthy Clifford means to this team.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:30 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Are Brown, Batten, & Heckmann really so incapable of bringing the ball up that Steve Pornopiglia needs to get the token 40 seconds before the media timeout every game where the other team inevitably goes on a 6-0 run?

You have season tickets, you've seen Heckmann "dribble".

I agree with your premise tho just let Batten bring the ball up
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I initially really liked the hire of Don. I was disappointed when he failed to make the NCAAs with a loaded team. And, then, I was done when he refused to replace Joe Jones (proving that the rumors about him thinking that recruiting wasn't important were true).

OK first of all that team was not loaded.

We agree that shitty assistants were the downfall of his regime. The guy can coach if he has some semblance of talent. It's 100% on him for recruiting crappy, soft, low basketball IQ players.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:33 pm

Your recruiting coordinator made that statement. You are welcome.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:20 am

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Those 5 seconds of that blonde chick might be the highlight of our season

Suddenly I'm a tennis fan.

Do believe this is her.

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/w-tennis ... 21943.html

Stalker

nope

that's eo at it's finest :flagus
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:42 am

i assume she is making sex at one of the players...
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:10 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i assume she is making sex at one of the players...

Can we make unsubstantiated guesses??? If so, I'm going to bet it is a fellow junior who is the only player who will be getting paid to play basketball after college.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum