Pitt Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Pitt Game

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:16 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Similarly, on a later possession (the one that ended with Hanlan missing the front end of the 1and1*), Owens got the ball in the halfcourt after breaking the press and Clifford was literally standing next to the rim with no one near him, and Owens simply REFUSED to consider feeding him that dunk. It was pretty unbelievable, but consistent with every other halfcourt set they ran.

This to me was the biggest head scratcher and surprised nobody had mentioned it earlier. Owens definitely saw him and didn't give it to him. It was a guaranteed dunk. Makes you wonder about chemistry issues on the team.

I've seen Clifford near the rim. This decision seems perfectly understandable to me.

I knew you would jump in with an unfunny, repetitive joke. Clifford would have made the dunk. There was no one near him. It was a baffling decision by Owens and it's the play that stands out most to me about last night.

this statement tells me you ib'ed the game last night.

Watched the whole game.

How many beers did you consume during the game?

Also, watched the replay, Heckmann got destroyed on that layup to end regulation. You have to make that call.

How much money did you waste on a Colby College education?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:10 am

AdamBC {l Wrote}:Would I get more entertainment out of:
A: Using the rest of the tickets I paid for.
II: Setting them on fire.

I go and its entertaining. Just don't expect to win
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:12 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Similarly, on a later possession (the one that ended with Hanlan missing the front end of the 1and1*), Owens got the ball in the halfcourt after breaking the press and Clifford was literally standing next to the rim with no one near him, and Owens simply REFUSED to consider feeding him that dunk. It was pretty unbelievable, but consistent with every other halfcourt set they ran.

This to me was the biggest head scratcher and surprised nobody had mentioned it earlier. Owens definitely saw him and didn't give it to him. It was a guaranteed dunk. Makes you wonder about chemistry issues on the team.

I've seen Clifford near the rim. This decision seems perfectly understandable to me.

I knew you would jump in with an unfunny, repetitive joke. Clifford would have made the dunk. There was no one near him. It was a baffling decision by Owens and it's the play that stands out most to me about last night.

this statement tells me you ib'ed the game last night.

Watched the whole game.

How many beers did you consume during the game?

Also, watched the replay, Heckmann got destroyed on that layup to end regulation. You have to make that call.

How much money did you waste on a Colby College education?

I think you got under-seeded
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:59 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Also, watched the replay,

Did NESN actually replay this abomination or did you have it recorded?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:43 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Also, watched the replay,

Did NESN actually replay this abomination or did you have it recorded?

Espn3
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby patsfan2020 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Yes Clifford has a bad habit of bringing the ball down after rebounds, and obviously blew the put back at the end of that game, but, for about the last 4 or 5 games, he is shooting about 60%, which is about 20% better than the guys taking all the shots. After missing 2 or 3 shots early against Pitt, he set about 50 high screens, most for Hanlan, rolled off every one and was wide open underneath on too many to count. He didn't get another shot until he took a wild runner about 10 minutes into the 2d half. His next shot was a dunk, and the next shot was the put back that he blew.

If you're excusing the guards for making a conscious decision to not pass to him, maybe you should excuse them for NEVER passing on 2 on 1's, 3 on 1's, and even one recent 4 on 1 for Hanlan. With the 3 guards who handle the ball, whoever has the ball crossing half court on a break takes the shot. If any opposing team and looks at the trailer on a 2 on 1, they are ignoring the scouting reports. I have no idea why any of the bigs on this team would a)chase a fast break, b) set decent screens for these hogs, or c) even try to post up. They should stand around on the perimeter and jack em up. That's the only way they will get shots.
patsfan2020
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:35 pm

patsfan2020 {l Wrote}:Yes Clifford has a bad habit of bringing the ball down after rebounds, and obviously blew the put back at the end of that game, but, for about the last 4 or 5 games, he is shooting about 60%, which is about 20% better than the guys taking all the shots. After missing 2 or 3 shots early against Pitt, he set about 50 high screens, most for Hanlan, rolled off every one and was wide open underneath on too many to count. He didn't get another shot until he took a wild runner about 10 minutes into the 2d half. His next shot was a dunk, and the next shot was the put back that he blew.

If you're excusing the guards for making a conscious decision to not pass to him, maybe you should excuse them for NEVER passing on 2 on 1's, 3 on 1's, and even one recent 4 on 1 for Hanlan. With the 3 guards who handle the ball, whoever has the ball crossing half court on a break takes the shot. If any opposing team and looks at the trailer on a 2 on 1, they are ignoring the scouting reports. I have no idea why any of the bigs on this team would a)chase a fast break, b) set decent screens for these hogs, or c) even try to post up. They should stand around on the perimeter and jack em up. That's the only way they will get shots.

We have multiple guards who cant dribble with their head up which causes said problem on fast breaks.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:41 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:We have multiple guards who cant dribble with their head up

Thank you, there are people who need to be reminded of this. I know it seems preposterous, but it's true.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:18 pm

I think we all know that when Hanlan drives he's locked in on the basket, but I have noticed a disturbing habit from Brown of driving with the primary intention of finding a defender to slam into and only secondarily looking to put the ball in the basket.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby patsfan2020 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:42 pm

Went back and checked the box scores. Clifford was 20 for 28 (71%) for the 5 games coming into the Pitt fiasco. His shooting is absolutely a big problem on this team. Wait a minute, maybe its the bad hands/turnovers. After having 4 Tuesday night, he has 16 turnovers, a little over one a game, and has an assist to turnover ratio better than 2 of the 3 guards with the most minutes.

Tuesday was a team effort; everyone had to make a lot of mistakes to give that one away. All of them panicked against the press. Up 8 with 3 minutes left, BC pulled their rebounders on free throws. I get that you don't want to give a cheap over the back with a less than a minute left, but that's playing not to lose with 3 minutes left. I am pretty sure they had a 2 on 1 break, up a point, at the end of overtime, with someone, possibly Clifford, standing underneath alone, but pulled the ball out. How'd that work out?

Jesus, try to win the game.
patsfan2020
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:50 pm

is that IB?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:is that IB?

It must be...if I'm Hanlan or Brown (and they're not without fault) there is no chance I'm passing to basically anyone else in the team.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:00 pm

if you have Dennis Clifford alone under the basket, pass it to him. if you have a one-legged 5'5 man who is tipsy off of two beers under the basket, I still like the odds. in a one-point OT loss, that shit is inexcusable.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby patsfan2020 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Good analysis EE, Brown and Hanlan should pass less.
patsfan2020
n00b

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:42 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:is that IB?

Maybe it really is...
patsfan2020 {l Wrote}:Good analysis EE, Brown and Hanlan should pass less.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:22 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:if you have Dennis Clifford alone under the basket, pass it to him. if you have a one-legged 5'5 man who is tipsy off of two beers under the basket, I still like the odds. in a one-point OT loss, that shit is inexcusable.

The 5'5" guy is faster off the floor and probably has better hands.

Also, for those of you claiming Clifford couldn't have blown that layup, he blew a wide open layup at the end of regulation.

Listen, I like Clifford and think he makes a huge difference on D. Having said that, Hanlan and Brown are the only two players that have any business playing basketball at a major D1 school. So yes, I'm fine with them chucking instead of passing to the America East All-stars they are surrounded by.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:48 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:... America East All-stars ...

in before teddy tells you that these guys wouldn't even start at suny-scooby doo
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:24 am

Wasn't the gag last year that these same all-stars wouldn't even start in America East? You must consider Christian to be one heck of a coach! :D

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:28 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Wasn't the gag last year that these same all-stars wouldn't even start in America East? You must consider Christian to be one heck of a coach! :D

If it were a gag it would be fine but it's not.

Impressed by how Christian has gotten them to rebound and play D. Outside of that, I maintain that John Wooden couldn't make this roster into an NCAA Tournament team.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:06 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}: I maintain that John Wooden couldn't make this roster into an NCAA Tournament team.

Agreed. Which is most of the reason the last 2 years have been so miserable. All the other teams of the last 15 years have been good enough that they at least had a hope of the postseason or young enough that you could reasonably expect they would improve. We've got a bunch of caretakers who we basically just have to wait until they leave, then hope the next round of players accomplishes something. Thanks coach Donahue!

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:13 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:if you have Dennis Clifford alone under the basket, pass it to him. if you have a one-legged 5'5 man who is tipsy off of two beers under the basket, I still like the odds. in a one-point OT loss, that shit is inexcusable.

Also, for those of you claiming Clifford couldn't have blown that layup, he blew a wide open layup at the end of regulation.

Listen, I like Clifford and think he makes a huge difference on D. Having said that, Hanlan and Brown are the only two players that have any business playing basketball at a major D1 school. So yes, I'm fine with them chucking instead of passing to the America East All-stars they are surrounded by.

I'd add Batten to the list, he'd have a role off the bench.

As for the "last 5 games" regarding Clifford, 3 were against a glorified HS team where no one was above 6'7. Kudos to him doing well and he has helped defensively but offensively it's a struggle against ACC teams. He's so slow off the floor that he gets his shot rejected or turns the ball over far too often.

I'd rather see the minutes between McGarrity & Clifford even out opposed to the the 14-24 mpg split we're seeing, especially when other teams go zone and we look lost.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:12 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I'd add Batten to the list, he'd have a role off the bench.

As for the "last 5 games" regarding Clifford, 3 were against a glorified HS team where no one was above 6'7. Kudos to him doing well and he has helped defensively but offensively it's a struggle against ACC teams. He's so slow off the floor that he gets his shot rejected or turns the ball over far too often.

I'd rather see the minutes between McGarrity & Clifford even out opposed to the the 14-24 mpg split we're seeing, especially when other teams go zone and we look lost.

Magerity is a respectable bench player on a mid-level ACC team.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby patsfan2020 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:23 pm

Not sure who IB is, but recent posts confirm this forum is the idiot little brother of BC blogs. If even one idiot one this blog said Magarity should play WITH Clifford more you might, I repeat might, have some credibility. Now Hanlan, Brown and Batten should shoot more and pass less. I'm sorry, I didn't know this forum was for little fat guys that never played past middle school, but are experts on D1 play.
patsfan2020
n00b

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:23 pm

patsfan2020 {l Wrote}:Not sure who IB is, but recent posts confirm this forum is the idiot little brother of BC blogs. If even one idiot one this blog said Magarity should play WITH Clifford more you might, I repeat might, have some credibility. Now Hanlan, Brown and Batten should shoot more and pass less. I'm sorry, I didn't know this forum was for little fat guys that never played past middle school, but are experts on D1 play.

Welcome to Eagle Outsider, quite possibly the worst collection of people you will ever find. I get the impression you'll fit right in. Personally I've thought Magarity/Clifford could work at the same time if you played a 3-2 zone, but Christian hates zones apparently. Next year we'll have to play Diallo/Magarity at the 4, so get your twin tower puns together now. I'm leaning towards calling Diallo/Magarity the "Pillars of Gibraltar."

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:41 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
patsfan2020 {l Wrote}:Not sure who IB is, but recent posts confirm this forum is the idiot little brother of BC blogs. If even one idiot one this blog said Magarity should play WITH Clifford more you might, I repeat might, have some credibility. Now Hanlan, Brown and Batten should shoot more and pass less. I'm sorry, I didn't know this forum was for little fat guys that never played past middle school, but are experts on D1 play.

Welcome to Eagle Outsider, quite possibly the worst collection of people you will ever find. I get the impression you'll fit right in. Personally I've thought Magarity/Clifford could work at the same time if you played a 3-2 zone, but Christian hates zones apparently. Next year we'll have to play Diallo/Magarity at the 4, so get your twin tower puns together now. I'm leaning towards calling Diallo/Magarity the "Pillars of Gibraltar."

The reason those two can't play together is they'd both foul out and then Cain-Carney would be playing center.

I'll point out again, you're not watching the games if you think feeding Clifford, Odio and Magerity the ball in the post will improve the offense. Hanlan, Brown and Batten are the best players on the team, they need to take the most shots.

I'm totally on board with getting the ball down low, just not with our current collection of post players.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:43 pm

My EO Starting 5 of "little fat guys" would have twice the basketball IQ of the current starting five...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby patsfan2020 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:36 am

You're showing lots of basketball IQ when you say that the 3 guys taking 80% of the shots, while the team loses, should take MORE shots. You're a basketball genius, you don't need to look at stats or back up your nonsense with facts. My mistake; I thought I might learn something from the people that posted on this blog, and even share a rational opinion with BC basketball fans. Jumped onto this blog when the other blog devolved into a bitchfest between 3 or 4 guys who seemed to have a personal beef I didn't care about at all. This blog is the college basketball equivalent of Fox News; if Epstein keeps saying it, it must be true, facts be damned.
patsfan2020
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:59 am

what "blog" did you formerly post and what was you screen name at the "blog"
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:01 am

patsfan2020 {l Wrote}:You're showing lots of basketball IQ when you say that the 3 guys taking 80% of the shots, while the team loses, should take MORE shots. You're a basketball genius, you don't need to look at stats or back up your nonsense with facts. My mistake; I thought I might learn something from the people that posted on this blog, and even share a rational opinion with BC basketball fans. Jumped onto this blog when the other blog devolved into a bitchfest between 3 or 4 guys who seemed to have a personal beef I didn't care about at all. This blog is the college basketball equivalent of Fox News; if Epstein keeps saying it, it must be true, facts be damned.

People on here are happy to debate. I'm not even sure what you're advocating they do differently on offense. My point is that it really doesn't matter what they do on offense since the talent level is so dismal combined with the fact they're so acclimated with losing.

What do your eyes tell you? Do you want Clifford getting the ball in the post 10-15 times a game?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:03 am

patsfan2020 {l Wrote}:Went back and checked the box scores. Clifford was 20 for 28 (71%) for the 5 games coming into the Pitt fiasco. His shooting is absolutely a big problem on this team. Wait a minute, maybe its the bad hands/turnovers. After having 4 Tuesday night, he has 16 turnovers, a little over one a game, and has an assist to turnover ratio better than 2 of the 3 guards with the most minutes.

Tuesday was a team effort; everyone had to make a lot of mistakes to give that one away. All of them panicked against the press. Up 8 with 3 minutes left, BC pulled their rebounders on free throws. I get that you don't want to give a cheap over the back with a less than a minute left, but that's playing not to lose with 3 minutes left. I am pretty sure they had a 2 on 1 break, up a point, at the end of overtime, with someone, possibly Clifford, standing underneath alone, but pulled the ball out. How'd that work out?

Jesus, try to win the game.

The 5 games before Pitt, 3 of those games which Clifford racked up those points started a Center who was 6'8" or shorter...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum