Providence

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Providence

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Just back from the game. Few thoughts:

1. Batten played his best game and brought a lot of energy. Towards the end of the game when it was clear BC was going to win, he threw up his arms to get the BC crowd to cheer. He was into it.
2. Agreed with earlier poster who said that Magarity should start over Clifford right now. I like his game and all things considered, may be the second best player on the team.
3. Say what you want about the white-out promotion, but at least they were trying something different and it kinda worked. I know it upset the whalepants-in-the-making people on this board that they did a white out, but I thought it was fine. Myles Willis had his white-out shirt on. As an aside, I could be wrong, but I don't ever remember this many football players supporting the basketball program. Rough estimate - seemed to be about 15-20 of them there.
4. Always great to beat Providence. Fan breakdown - Probably about 65-35 in favor of BC fans, but take away the students...
5. There was a raffle for a flat screen TV and I thought I heard the announcer say that Jim Christian made the donation. Again, at least they're trying.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:19 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:1. Free Roonie immediately (just for a week or so);

B. That was fun to watch;

III. where did the defense from Heckmann come from? He's been a decent defender before this but just a great game AND he didn't do stupid stuff (like dribbling) on the other end AND he was really good in the press break;

fourth. This team is almost infinitely better with batten starting and odio not. Also this team is almost infinitely better with batten and brown on it and rahon elsewhere.

What teddy will point out, which isn't wrong: providence is a stupid team that is very badly coached. How on earth did Clifford make it the final fifteen without fouling out? How does Dunn take that fourth foul??

Cartwright is a dick and somebody should have told Henton that heckmann had already made him his bitch so the usual avoiding getting posterized by a white dude reason to tackle on a break away doesn't fly.

Batten is my new favorite player.

I agree with all of this, Ed Cooley is a moron, but BC was good.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby sparky on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:42 pm

Providence fans seemed way more into the game than BC fans until with about four minutes to go. Or at least it seemed that way where I was sitting. Lots of Defense chants when we had the ball, it was kind of embarrassing. In some ways this is almost like a road win. But enough with the negativity.

Also just want to agree with people about Heckmann. Definitely have seen him go on offensive spurts before, but I don't recall him being so good defensively as he was tonight. He was a big reason Henton didn't contribute much. I forget what Providence's final FG% was, but it was real low. Great game.
sparky
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:54 pm

Meter said Beerbohm, Oates and Roche were at the game tonight. Love it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:57 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Meter said Beerbohm, Oates and Roche were at the game tonight. Love it.

White out.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:16 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Meter said Beerbohm, Oates and Roche were at the game tonight. Love it.

White out.

This is funny. Welcome back
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:21 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

White out.

Ha. I think Beerbohm goes to most games, but didn't see him. I definitely saw Oates and Roche.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby lobstalova on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:04 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

White out.

Ha. I think Beerbohm goes to most games, but didn't see him. I definitely saw Oates and Roche.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC321vxZt5o
lobstalova
n00b

Postby commavegarage on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:10 am

how about students even in the risers sitting?

what a disgrace
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:13 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:how about students even in the risers sitting?

what a disgrace

While I agree, I think getting them in the doors consistently first should be the goal. I was at a game my sophomore or junior year where there were more of those signs/faces that athletics left for us to hold up than students in the section. There were like 15 signs total...
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:53 am

disagree. find me ONE other student section that sits. I've been to some awful college basketball games (including non bc games) and every place I've been to the students stand / cheer.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:57 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:5. There was a raffle for a flat screen TV and I thought I heard the announcer say that Jim Christian made the donation. Again, at least they're trying.

If they want to raise some serious money, they should raffle off a tour of the basketball locker room and showers.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:22 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:disagree. find me ONE other student section that sits. I've been to some awful college basketball games (including non bc games) and every place I've been to the students stand / cheer.

I just remind you of this...

Until we get the numbers, our student section will be disgraceful regardless of if they're standing/sitting/sleeping. Thanks :ugeek:s
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:33 pm

these are two separate issues i don't understand why you are blending them
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:00 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:these are two separate issues i don't understand why you are blending them

This is where we disagree- I think that the two are very much linked. My point is that the more students in the risers, the more likely they are to be standing/into the game. When the student sections don't get filled up, the peer pressure aspect (for lack of a better term) combined with the fact that those less into the game can sit with an unobstructed view results in students sitting- regardless of how good the game is.

Ex- When we upset #15 FSU back in 2012 there were maybe 100-200 students at the game, and some spent most of it sitting. When we got blown out by #5 Duke less than 2 weeks later, even though it was a horrible game, the student section was packed and you simply couldn't sit even if you wanted to (until it was obviously out of hand in the second half).
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:15 pm

what a disgrace

are you surprised by this?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:08 pm

2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:these are two separate issues i don't understand why you are blending them

This is where we disagree- I think that the two are very much linked. My point is that the more students in the risers, the more likely they are to be standing/into the game. When the student sections don't get filled up, the peer pressure aspect (for lack of a better term) combined with the fact that those less into the game can sit with an unobstructed view results in students sitting- regardless of how good the game is.

Ex- When we upset #15 FSU back in 2012 there were maybe 100-200 students at the game, and some spent most of it sitting. When we got blown out by #5 Duke less than 2 weeks later, even though it was a horrible game, the student section was packed and you simply couldn't sit even if you wanted to (until it was obviously out of hand in the second half).

were you at last nights game? the risers were 100% full. so your argument already has no legs
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:09 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

what a disgrace

are you surprised by this?

no, but it won't stop me from complaining about it.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:45 pm

Teddy, your thoughts on Carson from the roses having 15 and 6?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:53 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:

were you at last nights game? the risers were 100% full. so your argument already has no legs

No- because I am on a different continent and all that jazz. Quite honestly, we haven't had enough games with filled up risers over the past 4-5 years to really say if my "argument already has no legs" based on one game.

And I really didn't post originally with the intent of arguing. If you look back to the first point, I agree with you and my way of solving it is by getting more people in the games (I know, the debate on how to do so has been rehashed at length).

I'm leaving it here, go Eagles! :screamyeagle :angrychicken :screamyeagle :angrychicken
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:27 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Teddy, your thoughts on Carson from the roses having 15 and 6?

Blind squirrel. What is he, like 35 now? Oh and is 15 and 6 good?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum