4 Games In Thoughts

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

4 Games In Thoughts

Postby Mitch on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:31 am

The team defense is significantly improved in terms of ball pressure, hedging and helping---that is, in the first half, then in the second half the players sag off and go back to playing passively---as was the case with WVU who dogged BC with increased pressure throughout the game, while BC's defensive intensity quickly fell off. Part of this is due to the players not being in very good shape---and part of it is due to Jim Christian's questionable understanding of his personnel (for example, playing Odio in crunch time, who has been horrific on the defensive end and has not shown any consistent reliability as a rebounder).

Christian says he's not worried about the offense, but he should be. There has been little continuity on the floor and the weave does not fit the strengths of the personnel---he has bigs like Odio and Carney handling the ball way too much (what they are doing camped out beyond the 3 point line as point forwards is mind-boggling)---Hanlan has picked up the slack and Brown has chipped in, while Heckmann remains hot and cold (good for some solid shots and short distance drives, but good for 3-5 boneheaded turnovers a game---he just has such little sense as to how to protect the ball, especially under pressure---and again, Christian's assigning of Heckmann to take out the ball versus pressure is a strong indication that Christian did not do a very good job of scouting his own team.

As for the personnel---here's how I would rate the players thus far:

1. Hanlan---has improved his defense and maintained his good driving and finishing ability---has started to knock down some threes---but has struggled at the foul line, usually a sign a fatigue.

2. Magarity---has added strength to his frame---may be becoming the best rebounder on the team---can stretch the floor---and has been solid on defense holding his position, but still is foul prone. His shooting form is excellent---when he builds confidence he could be a huge Trapani-like factor in games. Best passer on the team---is an excellent over the top beater of pressure versus the press.

3. Brown---he has a good scorer's sense, shows good range (hot and cold right now) and good touch around the basket. However, he has not stepped up and/or held up versus pressure---playing a little out of control and panicky. Really has to become a far better passer than what he has shown. He looked a little more improved versus WVU's pressure. BC is really going to need him to settle down.

4. Owens---this team needs to get out and run and Owens is dynamic in the open floor. Best baseline driver on the team---an area the team needs to exploit more. Yes, there are still some raw aspects of his game, but he's a tough competitor who gets after it on defense and on the boards. BC needs some lightning in the bottle and this player has it. Plus, he's one of the few players on the team who will help quickly on defense and take the charge.

5. Clifford---great to see him back and playing. He still isn't the player he was as a freshman because he's rusty and has lost some confidence. Hate to see his rack up the ticky-tack fouls---but, he should be playing smarter than that at this stage. He still doesn't really have a decent post game---he tends to overcommit himself and lose his balance, which is why his shots are so erratic. Seems to check out mentally at times, like he did versus WV. On the flip side, he's running the floor well, which is very encouraging.

6. Batten---he's working out the kinks in his game right now, but he is strong and aggressive. Knows how to penetrate and square up on his shots. Is overplaying a little to much on defense which has made him foul prone, but better that than being passive. Offers the best ball pressure of any player on the team---and BC needs that badly. If he responds to the coaching, he could be a real factor.

7. Heckmann---has plenty of scoring talent, but lacks consistent concentration and gets easily rattled under pressure. Throws far too many ill-advised passes, especially off of drives where he leaves his feet prematurely. Gets stripped of the ball when he fails to protect it. Tends to play more with his hands than with his feet on defense, although he is good a stripping the ball himself on occasion. But, otherwise he's a lazy defender who is easily beat off the dribble and who lacks the sense to box out.

8. Carney---smart kid, good hustler, does what he's supposed to---just have no clue at all why the coaches have him playing on the three point line when he should be in the opposite short corner so he can bang the offensive boards and take weak side help dishes. Not an especially good ball handler, but he has a decent sense of how to protect the ball, unlike Heckmann and Odio.

9. Odio---not doing anything to warrant a starting role or any significant playing time at this point. Guess he sees himself as a three point shooter, but why? And why are the coaches starting him, giving him the green light and having him handle the ball as much as he does? Worse of all, he is consistently out of position on the defensive end---with his hops, he doesn't even attempt to block shots when a dribbler is going right by him or when he's standing right next to a player in the paint. Not at all a banger on the boards---does not play physically. Is a liability especially ion the defensive end late in games.

It will be interesting to see what Lonnie Jackson offers when he returns. I think it would be interesting to see a starting lineup of Hanlan, Brown, Owens, Magarity and Clifford, with Batten, Heckmann and Carney coming off the bench and perhaps even a a few minutes here and there from Caudill (for inside defense and rebounds).
Mitch
n00b

Re: 4 Games In Thoughts

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:43 pm

For people who don't want Odio to play give me an alternative option. There isn't one
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:53 am

They don't really have a choice but to play him some minutes.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:26 am

There were only 14 total posts in the Game Thread for BC-Dayton. I think that speaks volumes for the reception Christian has received and the prospects of Bates' hand-picked MAC coach has of reinvigorating the hoops program.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:There were only 14 total posts in the Game Thread for BC-Dayton. I think that speaks volumes for the reception Christian has received and the prospects of Bates' hand-picked MAC coach has of reinvigorating the hoops program.

I forgot the game was even on, but in fairness, wasn't it up against the Miami-Denver game?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby sparky on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:54 am

I'm not expecting a lot this year, but the intensity on defense and with rebounding so far is a nice step forward from last year. They are playing better than I thought they would to be honest. In a weird way, I am pleased despite their record. That might change in two months though.
sparky
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:25 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this but in limited minutes, I've thought JCC has looked pretty adequate out there.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:07 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I can't believe I'm saying this but in limited minutes, I've thought JCC has looked pretty adequate out there.

Agree.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:There were only 14 total posts in the Game Thread for BC-Dayton. I think that speaks volumes for the reception Christian has received and the prospects of Bates' hand-picked MAC coach has of reinvigorating the hoops program.

I don't think the UD game thread is a great barometer of anything.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby sparky on Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:51 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:I can't believe I'm saying this but in limited minutes, I've thought JCC has looked pretty adequate out there.

Agree.

LaPhonso Ellis gave him some props during the game yesterday. They were of the "he does the little things that don't show up in the box score" variety, but still. Whenever he's in and doing well I always think Beeker wasted this guy leaving him on the pine.
sparky
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:14 pm

sparky {l Wrote}:

Agree.

LaPhonso Ellis gave him some props during the game yesterday. They were of the "he does the little things that don't show up in the box score" variety, but still. Whenever he's in and doing well I always think Beeker wasted this guy leaving him on the pine.

He's been fine, as has Christian thus far
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:20 pm

I don't think the UD game thread is a great barometer of anything.

Don't let campion see this post.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:14 am

Saw this in the WSJ. I don't really think of us as a big team, but I guess we are. Imagine when Diallo comes back.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:37 am

Can you feel the excitement!?!

Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:47 am

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:Can you feel the excitement!?!

thats not last nights game.

id be able to pick myself out and i cant. (not to mention uniform colors)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:48 am

and court...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John