Umass at the Garden

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Umass at the Garden

Postby Primetime on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:58 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:UPDATE:

Even on this dank Chestnut Hill evening, it can be reliably reported that as of close of business this day, no Fed Ex truck was spotted near Admissions.

Perhaps that means that Ryan and Joe have, on reflection, concluded that it is better to remain at schools not suffering from tyrannical, ethically-challenged leadership, schools which have longstanding hoops excellence, schools which are not coaching graveyards, schools which draw more than 100 fans per home game, schools which don't waste millions paying coaches fired without cause, and - in Joe's case - a school which is not Catholic in name only.

Oh, well

De gustibus....

Don't know why I'm even responding...

Joe and Ryan were Cali kids - laid back environment, nice weather...who could blame them? The only person that cares about the administration is YOU.

Stop spewing shit. Rahon and players like him are the problem, not the solution. Guards who can't shoot and can't D up. We're done, let's move on.

Anderson was a solid player, not a star. Is Arizona going to get him to the next level? Nope. Look up the draft records of 5-year college players. (Hint: it's not good). If you've got true NBA talent, scouts will find you wherever you play.

Just think if Marshon Brooks and Ryan Gomes played a 5th year! They'd have been stars!
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:37 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:fouls were the difference last night. we dominated in rebounds, had the same amount of made FG's, BC had more 3's... I'd like to see how good this team would be without the new fouling rules.

this is very beekerian. "this team would be better if only the coach could better coach them on how to not foul" was the bullshit that coach 50 games inspired last year

My problem was not with the new rules.

My problem was with the ridiculous one-sided calls.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:17 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:

Even on this dank Chestnut Hill evening, it can be reliably reported that as of close of business this day, no Fed Ex truck was spotted near Admissions.

Perhaps that means that Ryan and Joe have, on reflection, concluded that it is better to remain at schools not suffering from tyrannical, ethically-challenged leadership, schools which have longstanding hoops excellence, schools which are not coaching graveyards, schools which draw more than 100 fans per home game, schools which don't waste millions paying coaches fired without cause, and - in Joe's case - a school which is not Catholic in name only.

Oh, well

De gustibus....

Joe and Ryan were Cali kids - laid back environment, nice weather...who could blame them? The only person that cares about the administration is YOU.

Stop spewing shit. Rahon and players like him are the problem, not the solution. Guards who can't shoot and can't D up. We're done, let's move on.

Anderson was a solid player, not a star. Is Arizona going to get him to the next level? Nope. Look up the draft records of 5-year college players. (Hint: it's not good). If you've got true NBA talent, scouts will find you wherever you play.

Just think if Marshon Brooks and Ryan Gomes played a 5th year! They'd have been stars!

Ask TW, he says Anderson is a super star

Anderson is a 17/10 guy running pick and roll with Hanlan under the new coach. I mean, imagine what Clifford could have done the last two games if he didn't trip over himself trying to score.

Too bad Anderson was a wuss.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Manhattan took that fantastic UMass squad to OT today.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:21 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:

Oh, well

De gustibus....

Anderson is a 17/10 guy running pick and roll with Hanlan under the new coach. I mean, imagine what Clifford could have done the last two games if he didn't trip over himself trying to score.

Last year you were saying Anderson was a 25 and 12 guy. I just never see that happening. That being said, we would be much better with Anderson this year.

I said he was a 25 /12 guy under a good coach. Therein lies the distinction, we don't have one of those.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Primetime on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:

Oh, well

De gustibus....

Last year you were saying Anderson was a 25 and 12 guy. I just never see that happening. That being said, we would be much better with Anderson this year.

I said he was a 25 /12 guy under a good coach. Therein lies the distinction, we don't have one of those.

Nobody is a 25/12 guy in college. Stop comparing the kid to Wilt Chamberlain. He was a 14/7 guy at BC. Maybe could have been 18/8 if maximized. He's straight up not a lottery talent.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Manhattan took that fantastic UMass squad to OT today.

time stamp, bitches!!!!
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2014 Eagle on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:50 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Manhattan took that fantastic UMass squad to OT today.

In fairness, Manhattan was pretty decent last year and nearly took out Louisville in the tourney. Their coach has some "character" issues though...
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:01 am

Went and looked up the stats, only one player in the past 15 years has averaged 25 and 12 for a season and it was Michael Beasley. Durant was close with 26 and 11, and for any stat nerds a guy at La Salle named Steven Smith came close as well. I'm going to soundly reject the argument that Anderson was a "competent coach" away from being one of the best players in college basketball history.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:15 am

i think Anderson was a "competent coach" away from being one of the best players in college basketball history
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:57 am

Primetime {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:

Oh, well

De gustibus....

Nobody is a 25/12 guy in college. Stop comparing the kid to Wilt Chamberlain. He was a 14/7 guy at BC. Maybe could have been 18/8 if maximized. He's straight up not a lottery talent.

If your team has two players, the bigger of the two can very easily average 25/12. Most teams have more than two players. BC didn't the last 4 years.

Which is why, jhiggi, he is not a 25/12 guy at Arizona, just at the shitty ass program that is BC. He'll go for about 8/5 as the second guy off of the bench there, tops.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:02 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Went and looked up the stats, only one player in the past 15 years has averaged 25 and 12 for a season and it was Michael Beasley. Durant was close with 26 and 11, and for any stat nerds a guy at La Salle named Steven Smith came close as well. I'm going to soundly reject the argument that Anderson was a "competent coach" away from being one of the best players in college basketball history.

Stats are not a 1:1 correlation to talent. They are largely about opportunity and the talent around you as well. Think Kevin Love on the TWolves versus Kevin Love on the Cavaliers. Last year, Love went 26/12 because his team blew like BC. This year? 17/10

Better example? Kevin Garnett. Career with Minnesota? 22/12. Boston? 15/8. And that change happened well before he became calcified.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:47 am

I don't think anybody is going to win you over on the 25-12 being too much thing, but I will agree that I think Anderson is going to have a Matt-Humphrey-at-WVU type of senior season. Although if you're going to be making your money playing in Lithuania either way, maybe you are better off enjoying two years of parties at Arizona. I doubt that was his logic though.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:04 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I don't think anybody is going to win you over on the 25-12 being too much thing, but I will agree that I think Anderson is going to have a Matt-Humphrey-at-WVU type of senior season. Although if you're going to be making your money playing in Lithuania either way, maybe you are better off enjoying two years of parties at Arizona. I doubt that was his logic though.

I wasn't trying to convince anyone that Ryan was ever going to play in the NBA - I don't think Hanlan's chances there are all that great frankly. I'm just saying on a shitty team with two players, one a scoring guard, the other, a decently skilled big, and a good coach can get 25/12 out of the big. He was on the floor 39 minutes, barely ever got the ball, they never ran pick and roll or isolation in the post, and he still went for 15/8 the last two seasons at BC. Adding 9 points and 4 rebounds is not a huge stretch.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby lobstalova on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:I don't think anybody is going to win you over on the 25-12 being too much thing, but I will agree that I think Anderson is going to have a Matt-Humphrey-at-WVU type of senior season. Although if you're going to be making your money playing in Lithuania either way, maybe you are better off enjoying two years of parties at Arizona. I doubt that was his logic though.

I wasn't trying to convince anyone that Ryan was ever going to play in the NBA - I don't think Hanlan's chances there are all that great frankly. I'm just saying on a shitty team with two players, one a scoring guard, the other, a decently skilled big, and a good coach can get 25/12 out of the big. He was on the floor 39 minutes, barely ever got the ball, they never ran pick and roll or isolation in the post, and he still went for 15/8 the last two seasons at BC. Adding 9 points and 4 rebounds is not a huge stretch.

HOW CAN YOU STILL SAY THAT EVEN WHEN IT STATISTICALLY HAS ONLY HAPPENED A FEW TIMES IN THE HISTORY OF COLLEGE BASKETBALL?!?!?!?!?!
lobstalova
n00b

Postby patsfan2020 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:

Oh, well

De gustibus....

If your team has two players, the bigger of the two can very easily average 25/12. Most teams have more than two players. BC didn't the last 4 years.

Which is why, jhiggi, he is not a 25/12 guy at Arizona, just at the shitty ass program that is BC. He'll go for about 8/5 as the second guy off of the bench there, tops.

Our point guard has 3 assists in about 65 minutes of playing time. Curious how Anderson was going to get any points off the pick and roll when no one passes to him.
patsfan2020
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:07 pm

patsfan2020 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:

Oh, well

De gustibus....

Our point guard has 3 assists in about 65 minutes of playing time. Curious how Anderson was going to get any points off the pick and roll when no one passes to him.

Again, that's where "good coach" comes in. Anderson averaged 15/8 for two seasons without ever seeing the ball in the paint and while being a mediocre FT shooter. Sink one more FT a game and give him 5-7 actual touches, and he would have gotten 6-10 more points and a few more boards. Running that idiotic offense of Don's when he had Hanlan, Anderson and a bunch of guys that were supposedly shooters and nothing else, was stupid. It's a formula that demand those awful NBA offenses. Spread the floor, high screen with your only two players, be ready for kick out, crash boards. Rinse, repeat.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:04 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i think Anderson was a "competent coach" away from being one of the best players in college basketball history

What time did you start drinking today?

Anderson was horribly out of shape and couldn't make a jump shot or a FT. I remeber him being blocked by the rim numerous times.

He was a fine college player who looked like a superstar sometimes since BC has such a lack of talent.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
patsfan2020 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:

Oh, well

De gustibus....

Again, that's where "good coach" comes in. Anderson averaged 15/8 for two seasons without ever seeing the ball in the paint and while being a mediocre FT shooter. Sink one more FT a game and give him 5-7 actual touches, and he would have gotten 6-10 more points and a few more boards. Running that idiotic offense of Don's when he had Hanlan, Anderson and a bunch of guys that were supposedly shooters and nothing else, was stupid. It's a formula that demand those awful NBA offenses. Spread the floor, high screen with your only two players, be ready for kick out, crash boards. Rinse, repeat.

This offense would result in Heckmann and Jackson throwing up wide open bricks, Hanlan turnovers and Anderson getting blocked by the rim over and over.

Again Anderson is fine, but 25 and 12 from him is laughable. Are we playing 3 on 3 or something?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:49 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
patsfan2020 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:

Oh, well

De gustibus....

This offense would result in Heckmann and Jackson throwing up wide open bricks, Hanlan turnovers and Anderson getting blocked by the rim over and over.

Again Anderson is fine, but 25 and 12 from him is laughable. Are we playing 3 on 3 or something?

So increases of 10 points and 4 boards is laughable?

No, we would be playing 2 on 5, like we did for most of those years.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:57 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:i think Anderson was a "competent coach" away from being one of the best players in college basketball history

What time did you start drinking today?

Anderson was horribly out of shape and couldn't make a jump shot or a FT. I remeber him being blocked by the rim numerous times.

He was a fine college player who looked like a superstar sometimes since BC has such a lack of talent.

im pretty sure he is being sarcastic

commavegarage is never sarcastic and is one braylon edwards away from being teddy's new tedwaritansen
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:14 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
patsfan2020 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
Primetime {l Wrote}:

Oh, well

De gustibus....

This is laughable.

He only got the stats he had because we had no other options but him and hanlan.

No shit! Thanks for making my point, he'd still be the only other option besides Hanlan. And yet he did all that without ever getting the ball in the offense. He'd still get the 15/8 worth of garbage he picked up. Maybe a coach that passed it into the paint or ran a pick and roll once in a while would get him a half dozen more points and a handful more boards.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:15 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:No. Last year when I was making the point that he got his stats becuase he was on a crap team and the only option (other than hanlan) you disagreed.

Furthermore, I dont think he would get many more than 15/8, regardless of the circumstances

He gets the 15/8 because he is a smart player that was on a team that shot often and shot like shit. On the same team with a better coach that gave him the ball once in a while and worked him in a two man game with Hanlan and the sky would be the limit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:20 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:No. Last year when I was making the point that he got his stats becuase he was on a crap team and the only option (other than hanlan) you disagreed.

Furthermore, I dont think he would get many more than 15/8, regardless of the circumstances

He gets the 15/8 because he is a smart player that was on a team that shot often and shot like shit. On the same team with a better coach that gave him the ball once in a while and worked him in a two man game with Hanlan and the sky would be the limit.

And to you, my fine sir, I posit this hypothetical: If the queen had a set of balls then she would be the king... She still would not score 25 and 12 though.

Sure she would, she'd be in Cleveland with Kevin Love, too.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Based on Anderson getting blocked by the rim the sky is certainly not the limit for him.

Again, good college player but you're making him sound like Kevin Love or something
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Based on Anderson getting blocked by the rim the sky is certainly not the limit for him.

Again, good college player but you're making him sound like Kevin Love or something

Points and rebounds don't correlate to talent. Kevin Love on UCLA goes for 20 and 10. On this BC team with a smart coach, he'd probably lead the country in scoring. It's the same reason the leading scorer on UK will be the best player in the country and average about 14 a game.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:22 pm

Also I do think Anderson would have benefited more than most by a coach with an actual workout regimen. Sheds a few pounds, and gains some muscle, he is a different player.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Points and rebounds don't correlate to talent. Kevin Love on UCLA goes for 20 and 10. On this BC team with a smart coach, he'd probably lead the country in scoring. It's the same reason the leading scorer on UK will be the best player in the country and average about 14 a game.

Points don't correlate to talent.....

Your point below about him not being fat is well taken
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Points don't correlate to talent.....

Your point below about him not being fat is well taken

Michael Jordan averaged 17.7 over 3 years at UNC. The better your team, less shots to go around.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum