Playing for the Mob

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Playing for the Mob

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:33 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:Question: Given his own dirty laundry, why would a guy like Bruce Pearl appear in a film like this? If I'm his agent, I'd tell him to stay the hell away from appearing in any TV movie about the mob, gambling and violating NCAA rules. Some people coming to this story for the first time are going to watch that and mistakenly think he was somehow tangentially involved. Bad PR move, IMHO.

This was filmed when Hill was still alive, so I assume Pearl was still an ESPN employee at the time. He was probably paid to appear.

Note that they also used Lesley Visser (what happened?) and Mike Mayock.

All in all, I think BC came off looking fine. I also think that Rick Kuhn strangely came off as more a sympathetic character than Jim Sweeney.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}: He might be a bit of a racist too, because I for life of me can't figure out how your charge Ernie Cobb and not Lawrenceville Jimmy.

Glad I was not the only one who thought this. And the only guy I felt sympathy for was Bowie. I don't know the guy from Adam, but to have that news article out there initially implicating him when he had nothing to do with this thing must have been heartbreaking for him and his family.

Same thing happened to Kiernan Speight during the football gambling scandal. He played like shit against Pitt and everyone thought -- this guy has to be throwing the game. Turns out he was just a bad CB.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:58 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}: He might be a bit of a racist too, because I for life of me can't figure out how your charge Ernie Cobb and not Lawrenceville Jimmy.

Glad I was not the only one who thought this. And the only guy I felt sympathy for was Bowie. I don't know the guy from Adam, but to have that news article out there initially implicating him when he had nothing to do with this thing must have been heartbreaking for him and his family.

Same thing happened to Kiernan Speight during the football gambling scandal. He played like shit against Pitt and everyone thought -- this guy has to be throwing the game. Turns out he was just a bad CB.

If bad CB play is a sign of a gambling scandal, BC was shaving points for a very long time.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:34 pm

MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:I dont understand Jim & Maura Sweeney's problem with BC. What are they supposed to do for him?? Call him out of the crowd and celebrate him between quarters at a football game or something?? Despite his attempts to downplay his role, he was unquestionably a participant. Leaving everything else out of it, the purposeful foul out against Holy Cross is downright crooked and reason enough for the athletic department to keep a distance.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/bc-interr ... ve-at-8-pm
Hear it directly from the Sweeneys. Maura is crazytown.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:02 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
MrAwesomeII {l Wrote}:Leaving everything else out of it, the purposeful foul out against Holy Cross is downright crooked and reason enough for the athletic department to keep a distance.

That was a headscratcher for me. In order to avoid losing a game on purpose, he fouled out of a game on purpose. That's not an alibi; it's a confession.

I don't know why that wasn't challenged more by the director or by the FBI. A foul is a negative play that hurts BC. Fouling five times hurts BC five times. It also takes the starting point guard out of the game. If he really didn't want to be part of the game, he could fake an ankle sprain.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

If bad CB play is a sign of a gambling scandal, BC was shaving points for a very long time.

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:08 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

This is my favorite comment of the year
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:22 pm

I am going to avoid a long story and sum it up because it sounds like an outtake of a bad Sopranos episode, but I played poker with a member of Maura's family in NJ and when I heard she was Sweeney's wife and put 2 and 2 together and all I said was "Wasnt he involved in the point shaving at BC" I got a lecture about him having nothing to do with it and Hill was a liar etc. So I think they may have lied so much to themselves and the family, they actually believe it.

I think the incident also made BC paranoid about organized crime on campus. I have heard a few stories about them overreacting to silly stuff, like football tickets.

I'll watch it this weekend, but if anyone hasnt seen Goodfellas, shame on you. Up until he goes overboard with the drugs, it is one of the best movies other. I saw it at Cleveland Circle.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:19 am

sweeney has not stopped the publicity tour since the film, has registered & posted on ATL & BCI
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:32 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:sweeney has not stopped the publicity tour since the film, has registered & posted on ATL & BCI

Sad, but I can't say that I really blame the guy. One last grasp at whatever he's looking for. I don't know if it's money, fame, or some rediculous apology from BC that he's after, but, unfortunately for him, the story just isn't very compelling anymore.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:40 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:sweeney has not stopped the publicity tour since the film, has registered & posted on ATL & BCI

Sad, but I can't say that I really blame the guy. One last grasp at whatever he's looking for. I don't know if it's money, fame, or some rediculous apology from BC that he's after, but, unfortunately for him, the story just isn't very compelling anymore.

My question is whos gonna sign up as J1mSweeney here and how has it not happened already?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:42 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

My question is whos gonna sign up as J1mSweeney here and how has it not happened already?

the weener kisser {l Wrote}:...the story just isn't very compelling anymore.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCdee on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:24 pm

We watched it last night and thought it was very entertaining.

- Felt horrible for Bowie
- Was surprised Mayock was Sweeney's roommate
- What the heck to Leslie Visser do to her face?
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby BIGDUKE6 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:37 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:We watched it last night and thought it was very entertaining.

- Felt horrible for Bowie
- Was surprised Mayock was Sweeney's roommate
- What the heck to Leslie Visser do to her face?

Was that Lesley Visser or Nancy Pelosi ?
BIGDUKE6
n00b

Postby MaroonNGold on Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:15 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:As I said, Kuhn's story is much more believeable and logical. You know who was also a fucking scumbag? Ed McDonald, the Prosecutor. He is a publicity whore of the highest magnitude--right down to penning a tribute to Henry Hill in the NY Post after he died. Eddie sure does like the limelight, which he only could have had if he nailed Jimmy the Gent to the wall and it was certainly a lot easier to nail Jimmy the Gent to the wall when he had a nice, squeaky clean Rhodes Scholar candidate on the witness stand. He might be a bit of a racist too, because I for life of me can't figure out how your charge Ernie Cobb and not Lawrenceville Jimmy.

Everyone in this story sucks on some level.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, we now have been enlightened that Rosey does not let truth impede his hurling baseless insults at a fellow alum.

Knowing Ed McDonald, I can report that IMHO he is neither a "publicity whore" nor a "racist" ( the term du jour often leveled irresponsibly, by the bye). To the contrary, he handled a personally painful matter with the professionalism we expect, but don't always get, from public officials.

Too, Ed did what he ethically could to soften the blow for BC.

And Father Monan addressed the matter with the integrity and honor for which he was known throughout his exemplary presidency.

Finally, while I don't know why Sweeney was not charged and Cobb was, those decisions, I assume, always depend on what the available evidence and attending facts were as to each - something no TV producer normally knows.

So, we're all in no position to responsibly say that the Justice Dept. got this one wrong.
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

And who is responsible for that?
MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:18 am

fuckin a... roonie's back!!!! just when jiggles was about to walk away with the uncontested 2014 asshat of the year prize

:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh
:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MaroonNGold on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:57 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:fuckin a... roonie's back!!!! just when jiggles was about to walk away with the uncontested 2014 asshat of the year prize

:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh
:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh:elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh :elephant :pepper2 :pickle :spaz2 :spaz2 :spaz3 :cheer :band :acoustic :quitar :fam :woot :clink :party :chewbanka :ace :ganesh

ANOTHER substantive reply by the Tobacco Man!
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:54 am

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:Knowing Ed McDonald, . . .

Next time you see him, please ask him why Cobb was charged but Sweeney was not. I'm also interested in why Cobb was charged later than the others - I don't think they addressed that in the 30 for 30 piece. Thanks.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:18 pm

[quote="commavegarage"]Admittedly a nerd and haven't seen goodfellas so this was my first true exposure to it.

My take away is: Eff Sweeney, I don't buy his bullshit for a second. And good for BC for not giving him the time of day.[/quote

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's pause for a moment to reflect on reality:

BC shuns Jim Sweeney even now, 35 years after the point shaving event.

Yet BC constantly embraced Ted Kennedy, whose life placed him in no danger of canonization, to put it charitably.

LESSON LEARNED: Next time you see that halftime TV tape with the sanctimonious claim that BC is a "Catholic, Jesuit" school, better have the barf bag at the ready!

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:24 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Admittedly a nerd and haven't seen goodfellas so this was my first true exposure to it.

My take away is: Eff Sweeney, I don't buy his bullshit for a second. And good for BC for not giving him the time of day.[/quote

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet BC constantly embraced Ted Kennedy, whose life placed him in no danger of canonization, to put it charitably.

LESSON LEARNED: Next time you see that halftime TV tape with the sanctimonious claim that BC is a "Catholic, Jesuit" school, better have the barf bag at the ready!

At least you're being a little more honest now.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby AdamBC on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:01 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Admittedly a nerd and haven't seen goodfellas so this was my first true exposure to it.

Still can't quote text for shit, tho.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:07 am

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:

Still can't quote text for shit, tho.

Much like Al couldn't learn an inbounds play, roonie can't learn to quote. Turds in pleather...
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:47 pm

Unsurprisingly, our self-esteemed posters Chicken and Adam, unable to dispute facts, revert to irrelevance and insult.

Pathetic.

And, oh, yeah, Chicken: Care to compare Al's record with the crash-and-burn W-L stats of the four years since he left?

Must distress you to remember that BC once had a varsity basketball program, eh?

But don't let me deter you from hustling on down to Conte to scarf up your season tickets for what promises to be a "noteworthy" year under the latest BC coach of inconsequence.

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:31 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:Unsurprisingly, our self-esteemed posters Chicken and Adam, unable to dispute facts, revert to irrelevance and insult.

Pathetic.

And, oh, yeah, Chicken: Care to compare Al's record with the crash-and-burn W-L stats of the four years since he left?

Must distress you to remember that BC once had a varsity basketball program, eh?

But don't let me deter you from hustling on down to Conte to scarf up your season tickets for what promises to be a "noteworthy" year under the latest BC coach of inconsequence.

What the heck, mister? I was giving you a compliment on your honesty. Sheesh. Some people!
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:24 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:Unsurprisingly, our self-esteemed posters Chicken and Adam, unable to dispute facts, revert to irrelevance and insult.

Pathetic.

What the heck, mister? I was giving you a compliment on your honesty. Sheesh. Some people!

Gee willigers
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:33 pm

Finally got around to watching this. Law enforcement aside, Bowie was the only person who appeared in the documentary whom I totally believed. I give Cobb credit for beating the charges, but I don't think he was completely honest.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:36 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Pathetic.

-----------------------------

Chicken

Looks like I owe you an apology for misreading your first post.

Not for your shot at Coach Skinner, however.

Peace.

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum