Ranked 9th in ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Ranked 9th in ACC

Postby Supahfan12 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:03 pm

Yeah i dont think we should be here at all. Thoughts?
@WarrenLent
bestdaysat.blogspot.com
Supahfan12
Carney Hall

Re: Ranked 9th in ACC

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:13 pm

...Where?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:42 pm

The reporter for the Raleigh paper picked BC 3rd, and the ATL guy picked BC 2nd. I doubt that's either the reporters or coaches votes. Wanna link to the high school blog you were looking at?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:05 am

I just saw this on ESPN...We were picked to finish 9th in the ACC behind UNC, Duke, Clemson,GT, Maryland, Wake, Fla St., Virginia Tech...Only Miami, UVA, and NC St behind us
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:06 am

I just saw this on ESPN...We were picked to finish 9th in the ACC behind UNC, Duke, Clemson,GT, Maryland, Wake, Fla St., Virginia Tech...Only Miami, UVA, and NC St behind us
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:32 pm

PR Eagle lies NOT:

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-baskb ... 09aaa.html

Frick'n bull$hit. But as far as I'm concerned it's great news. Start the season with a chip on our shoulder. Prove them wrong. That's when we're at our best. The last thing we need as we transition to new leadership (e.g. the post-Rice era) is front-runner status anointed by the media.....
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby Supahfan12 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:03 pm

Acc press confrence.

i was hoping as you were that we wouldnt be ranked high
@WarrenLent
bestdaysat.blogspot.com
Supahfan12
Carney Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:37 pm

9th?

this is all because of the Harvard loss.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:07 pm

9th? I guarantee we will not finish 9th or below. Gotta love the media.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:12 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:9th? I guarantee we will not finish 9th or below. Gotta love the media.

yeah i was thinking the same thing, the worst BC will possibly finish is 9th. BC's never predicted to be were they should be, its always the worst case scenario
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:59 pm

I just feel that after Duke and UNC, who are the favorites but won't run away with the conference, there is a group of 5-6 teams that will beat the shit out of each other for positioning. I would not be shocked if BC, Clemson, G. Tech, Maryland, Wake, and Florida State finished anywhere from 3-8, what I mean is I wouldn't be shocked if BC finished anywhere from 2nd to 8th. I expect us to be fighting for a first round bye in the ACC tournament and make the tournament. We have a tough schedule as we play Duke and Clemson twice, but if we defend home court and beat the lesser teams on the road we will be in great shape. I'm really exited to see what this group can do.
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Chilltown on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:05 pm

I'd say we are clearly a better team than Wake and Maryland, and probably better than GTech. If there is one coach who manages to get the least out of his talent, its Paul Hewitt. This ranking just further illustrates that the "they lost Rice" storyline will dominate the early season headlines. It will be nice to prove "the experts" wrong again.
Chilltown
n00b

Postby 2008Eagle on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Yeah and they picked BC 11th last year. Nothing here to get worked up about; they were wrong then and they'll be wrong now.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:31 pm

I liked Rice a lot but I think they will be better without him. That's nothing on him but he clearly tried to do too much last year and it hurt them on more than one occasion.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:56 am

I haven't really thought about hoops in a while, but I remember watching last year's team and thinking they won't miss a beat with Rice gone, because everyone else on the team will be a year older.

They'll be fine. :screamyeagle
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby auggiebc on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:53 am

As I've said on other threads, the good news, regardless of preseason rankings, is that this team has a great opportunity early in the season to capture some respect and attention. There is a stong possiblity that this team will play Purdue, Providence, and Michigan in a 10 day span. 3 wins here and this will be a top 20 team by the 1st week of December. Circle the game @Michigan during the B10 challenge. A win in Ann Arbor will turn some heads.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby screagle on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:47 am

is the ACC taking bets on this? I'd be happy to put up all of my savings that we finish better than 9th. We're a lock for top 4 and will contend for the ACC title.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:13 am

Rice fucking sucked. There, I said it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:15 am

bcbcbcbcbc4444 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:9th? I guarantee we will not finish 9th or below. Gotta love the media.

yeah i was thinking the same thing, the worst BC will possibly finish is 9th. BC's never predicted to be were they should be, its always the worst case scenario

The worst BC finishes is third. Fuck that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:00 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Rice fucking sucked. There, I said it.

This premise deserves it's own thread. If you mean he sucked as a teammate (on the court), I disagree. If you mean his skill set and propensities limited the growth/ceiling for the team, I agree in part.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 pm

No. Not at all, actually. He was "oozing" with talent, but he just doesn't help a team that much.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:28 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

No. Not at all, actually. He was "oozing" with talent, but he just doesn't help a team that much.

I wouldn't even say he helped the team "that much". I don't think he helped the team at all.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:05 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

I wouldn't even say he helped the team "that much". I don't think he helped the team at all.

He did at times, but you can't deny his talent. He did some things that were way over his teammates' heads (which lead to turnovers).
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Brablc on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:56 am

Rice was at his best with he was that scoring threat off the bench for those good BC teams.

His style didn't really fit into the flex and it was evident in some games last year. Which wasn't great since the ball was in his hands most of the time.

Paris is a better fit for the offense, so let's hope he reminds some people of Louis Hinnant, one of the most underrated players to come through BC.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shredder on Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:41 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}: Paris is a better fit for the offense, so let's hope he reminds some people of Louis Hinnant, one of the most underrated players to come through BC.

I thought Rice helped the team the most his freshman and sophomore years. He played next to Louis his first year and had Craig and Dudley as scoring options, then the next year he had Dudley and Marshall (I don't think he played a lot with Marshall in 2005-06). In 2007-08 he was the primary scoring option as the team was young but didn't do a good job working the other guys in, then last year when he had to, he couldn't.

If Biko could be another Louis Hinnant, I like our chances.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:07 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

This premise deserves it's own thread. If you mean he sucked as a teammate (on the court), I disagree. If you mean his skill set and propensities limited the growth/ceiling for the team, I agree in part.

This is a fair question. I say he sucked because he was playing PG and didn't make his team better. He had talent, and if he weren't a midget, he might have been a great SG. But he played no defense, hogged the ball, stagnated the offense, and took bad shots. They will be better without him.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:But he played no defense, hogged the ball, stagnated the offense, and took bad shots. They will be better without him.

The strange thing is that he did play defense for his first two years...then inexplicibly stopped.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:02 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:But he played no defense, hogged the ball, stagnated the offense, and took bad shots. They will be better without him.

The strange thing is that he did play defense for his first two years...then inexplicibly stopped.

agreed.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

This is a fair question. I say he sucked because he was playing PG and didn't make his team better. He had talent, and if he weren't a midget, he might have been a great SG. But he played no defense, hogged the ball, stagnated the offense, and took bad shots. They will be better without him.

It's one thing to say that (and I agree with that whole statement), but to say he sucked is a whole other can of worms.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:

To split a hair, I'll say that while he certainly made the team better his junior year (there were no other scoring options and he did have games where he passed the ball around quite a bit), he didn't make his teammates better. There was a lot of standing around and watching, and his dribbling exhibitions were largely to blame.

His senior year was far more frustrating, because he had three sophs coming into their own but didn't facilitate their growth.

Now to be a pain in the ass- given Rice's positives (scoring, three point shooting, FT shooting), was he mis-used a la Haden by Spaz/Tranq? I'll answer the question in the negative, but mostly because Rice needed another scoring ballhandler (such as Dudley) to keep him honest.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum