Yet Another "Hire Al" Article to Follow...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Yet Another "Hire Al" Article to Follow...

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:02 pm

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Re: Yet Another "Hire Al" Article to Follow...

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:43 pm

When do we get a twitpic of Spaz and McGovern wearing hoodies, headbands and wristbands at the top of the Rocky steps in Philly?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:33 pm

GOD FORBID we think of re-associating with the winningest coach we ever had.

And the only black HC the Eagles ever had in a major revenue sport, by the bye.

Need proof?

Simply look at where we were when Al was here. - and where we are now.

The record speaks for itself, does it not?

We all owe Leahy & GDF a measure of BIG TIME gratitude for their astute handling of BC hoops.

Thanks to them, the Fire Dept will never have to shut down Conte for overcrowding.[quote][/quote]
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

And who is responsible for that?
MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby EagleDave on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:15 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:GOD FORBID we think of re-associating with the winningest coach we ever had.

Need proof?

We all owe Leahy & GDF a measure of BIG TIME gratitude for their astute handling of BC hoops.

Thanks to them, the Fire Dept will never have to shut down Conte for overcrowding.

Not that I don't find this gimmick amusing, but you're aware the Leahy/GDF consortium, that you praised for their "astute handling of BC hoops", also fired said winningest coach, right?
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:51 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:GOD FORBID we think of re-associating with the winningest coach we ever had.

Need proof?

Thanks to them, the Fire Dept will never have to shut down Conte for overcrowding.

Not that I don't find this gimmick amusing, but you're aware the Leahy/GDF consortium, that you praised for their "astute handling of BC hoops", also fired said winningest coach, right?

Eagle Dave,

Regrettably, but patently, you are in no danger of induction into MENSA.
BC once attracted stars like Abrams, Adams, Agbai, Austin, Bagley, Barros, Bell, Curley, Driscoll, Dudley, Eisley, Evans, Huckaby, Jackson, McCready, Murphy, O'Brien, Rice, Smith, Williams, et al.

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Location: St. Ignatius, praying for a leader who'll restore BC's trustworthiness.

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:53 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Need proof?

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:28 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Need proof?

In fairness to EagleDave, it's hard to read sarcasm into Rooney's post because... while Leahy did a terrible job in firing and replacing Al Skinner... he was also the guy who hand-picked Al Skinner for the job and then kept him employed for over a decade.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MaroonNGold on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Need proof?

In fairness to EagleDave, it's hard to read sarcasm into Rooney's post because... while Leahy did a terrible job in firing and replacing Al Skinner... he was also the guy who hand-picked Al Skinner for the job and then kept him employed for over a decade.

He's also the tyrant who had a temper tantrum when his agreement to lower admission standards for jocks was published in the Globe.

That tantrum - typical of this so-called cleric- led to the dismissal of Al's predecessor, Jim O'Brien, a truly good guy, who'd just won BC first Big East tourney.

Trust me on this: history will prove that Leahy was to BC what Jimmy Carter was to our nation.

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:04 pm

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Need proof?

He's also the tyrant who had a temper tantrum when his agreement to lower admission standards for jocks was published in the Globe.

That tantrum - typical of this so-called cleric- led to the dismissal of Al's predecessor, Jim O'Brien, a truly good guy, who'd just won BC first Big East tourney.

Trust me on this: history will prove that Leahy was to BC what Jimmy Carter was to our nation.

I'm pretty sure no one called him a cleric lol
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:07 am

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Need proof?

are you now or have you ever been dating and/or married to jim o'brien? if not, have you ever had at least one night of passionate monkey love with his wrinkled, grey body?

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!!!
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:49 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:if not, have you ever had at least one night of passionate monkey love with his wrinkled, grey body?

Did you know that Kathy Lee Gifford wants to make hot monkey love to Howard Stern?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:57 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:if not, have you ever had at least one night of passionate monkey love with his wrinkled, grey body?

Did you know that Kathy Lee Gifford wants to make hot monkey love to Howard Stern?

did anna nicole teach us nothing?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:29 am

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Need proof?

Leahy sided with Mahoney, a truly good guy and alum, when Obie tried to do an end-run around the admissions department. Obie, who I contend was not a "truly good guy" (based on what I heard from his very own players), left on his own for a big payday at tOSU. Alleged "truly good guy" took Scoonie Penn with him and apparently counselled other players to leave. Further, while trying to squeeze more money from his alma mater, said "truly good guy" claimed BC to be a racist institution. All this was done in a manner to make it nearly impossible for BC to succeed under their new head coach... "the only black HC the Eagles ever had in a major revenue sport" and who went on to become "the winningest coach we ever had." It is impossible for someone to be both pro-JOB and pro-Skinner.

Since you are new here, I'll state for the record that I don't like Leahy (never have), despised GDF and I have always been a HUGE supporter of Al. In my estimation, he was just about the perfect coach for BC and should have never been dismissed in the manner he was by the POS athletic-director-turned-football-for-dummies-instructor we employed for far too long. I also think JOB was a self-serving asshole who was a terrible, miserable person.
Last edited by HJS on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:14 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
roonie {l Wrote}:He's also the tyrant who had a temper tantrum when his agreement to lower admission standards for jocks was published in the Globe.

Leahy sided with Mahoney, a truly good guy and alum, when Obie tried to do an end-run around the admissions department. Obie, who I contend was not a "truly good guy" (based on what I heard from his very own players), left on his own for a big payday at tOSU. Alleged "truly good guy" took Scoonie Penn with him and apparently counselled other players to leave. Further, while trying to squeeze more money from his alma mater, said "truly good guy" claimed BC to be a racist institution. All this was done in a manner to make it nearly impossible for BC to succeed under their new head coach... "the only black HC the Eagles ever had in a major revenue sport" and who went on to become "the winningest coach we ever had." It is impossible for someone to be both pro-JOB and pro-Skinner.

Since you are knew here, I'll state for the record that I don't like Leahy (never have), despised GDF and I have always been a HUGE supporter of Al. In my estimation, he was just about the perfect coach for BC and should have never been dismissed in the manner he was by the POS athletic-director-turned-football-for-dummies-instructor we employed for far too long. I also think JOB was a self-serving asshole who was a terrible, miserable person.

looks like we need to reinstitute the quote-camp-for-dummies
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:03 am

MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:

Hold on, I'm confused -- Leahy is a decorated Naval officer who helped broker a historic peace agreement between two bitter enemies and assisted in the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons? Or just the BC equivalent?
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:17 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:

Hold on, I'm confused -- Leahy is a decorated Naval officer who helped broker a historic peace agreement between two bitter enemies and assisted in the non-proliferation of nuclear weapons? Or just the BC equivalent?

I thought he was saying that he was a peanut farmer.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:18 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:

i thought he was saying that leahy organized the construction of a bunch of low-rent housing
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:

i thought he was saying that leahy organized the construction of a bunch of low-rent housing

I don't know what the fuck he's trying to say. I guess the trick is first trying to figure out which agenda he's trying to push. :shrug
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:43 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:

I thought he was saying that leahy saw UFOs and was afraid of rabbits.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MaroonNGold on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MaroonNGold {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:

Need proof?

-----------------------------

[
[/b]

Since you are new here, I'll state for the record that I don't like Leahy (never have), despised GDF and I have always been a HUGE supporter of Al. In my estimation, he was just about the perfect coach for BC and should have never been dismissed in the manner he was by the POS athletic-director-turned-football-for-dummies-instructor we employed for far too long. I also think JOB was a self-serving asshole who was a terrible, miserable person.

--------------------------------------------

b]WHOA, HJS,

Sorry to have to debunk your "don't let facts get in the way" posting, but here goes:

1. Mahoney is reported to have said to JOB, re a minority recruit's mother, something to the effect that she or he was criminal or otherwise suspect in some way. THAT HAS NEVER BEEN DENIED, by Mahoney, Leahy, or BC!

2. JOB did ask Father Monan to intercede in past players' application, which was done, thus apparently angering Mahoney.

3. As to the 1997 admissions controversy, if I recall correctly, BC eventually decided that both recruits who'd been rejected would be offered admission. Neither accepted and played elsewhere: one went to UMass, the other to Miami.

4. WHICH players said to you that JOB was not a good guy?

5. JOB did NOT " leave on his own for a big payday at OSU". Rather, as I've posted, and the Globe has written, Leahy declined to enter a new contract with JOB once the Globe ran the story (also never denied, by the way) that Leahy had just OK'd lower admissions standards for jocks, but did not want that made public. Thus, Leahy ended JOB's BC career. Had that not happened, he would have remained here.

6. Scoonie decided to follow JOB to OSU. Where is the proof that anything wrong was done?

7. Likewise, what is your proof that JOB "apparently counselled other players to leave"?

8. JOB merely sought money due him. Period. Something wrong with that?

9. He did NOT call BC a racist institution. Instead, he noted what Mahoney allegedly said - which, as noted above, has NEVER been denied.

10. The initial situation Al faced was a result of the combination of (A) the depleted roster; and (B) the raging negative publicity accorded BC and Leahy because of axing JOB, who was well liked (BE Coaches named him Coach of the Year) and who was devoted to BC, and who had just won BC's first BE Conference Tournament.

11 it is NOT impossible to like both JOB and Al Skinner. They both are fine men, excellent coaches, who came from humble beginnings to star in high school, college and play pro ball, and who worked their way up the coaching ladder to reach BC. They BOTH, are also victims of the same person.

Though the folks here prefer the ostrich approach, reality is this: the way some things are done on this campus - and the M.O. of some in power - might shock the BC community, were it known.

In any event, one thing is not deniable: the seat of power has put the BC hoops program on the shoals, where it is likely to remain for some time.

Those days are gone.

MaroonNGold
Carney Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:32 am

Does someone have that picture of the dejected man with the caption "Not this shit again"? If so, please post it in response to Rooney's latest. Thanks in advance.

last edited by tre 8/6/2014 10:55AM
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:14 am

Since I had friends on the team from 1991 to 1998, all I will say is that Rooney's "facts" about O'Brien are either opinion or just plain wrong. I'd defer to Rooney if the topic was Cowboy Jack's handling of Shawn Halloran or the team's view of Flutie when arrived on campus (and quickly rose up the depth chart to be Matty Ice's Uncle's replacement). However... he is way out of his element when talking about "truly good guy" Jim O'Brien.

I'll point out a few more actual facts. Scoonie Penn was done at BC regardless if Obie stayed or not. He was slated to be suspended for the entire year due to academics (this after he was suspended for a semester due to academics). Scoonie was an academic risk that Obie pulled in (I believe he was still taking his SAT and classes the summer before he arrived at BC). Obie's staff failed to keep him eligible... this was on the heels of another risk that they jammed through admissions failing miserably (Chris Herren). I'd also like to point out that Elton Tyler was suspended multiple times (once for an entire year) for failing to meet the "academic" "rigors" of The U.

You are right, however, with regard to Leahy revoking the extension offer he made to Obie when Obie (via his staff) leaked to the press that BC would essentially not have admission standards for basketball players(immediately after being told that such would have to be kept in the strictest of confidences). That didn't mean that Obie had to leave (though the writing was likely on the wall). Nor, does it mean that he wouldn't have fled to tOSU if offered even after signing the extension.

One final note...
8. JOB merely sought money due him. Period. Something wrong with that?

There is nothing wrong with suing to get something that is owed. Anything owed to Obie would be based upon the four corners of the contract entered into between him and the University. What I find something wrong with... is JOB's decision to slander his alma mater (that he allegedly loved) in order to extort money from it. I will point out that the charges of racism was really an afront to the man who led the University the entire time Obie was in its employ... Fr. Monan.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:00 am

HJS is better at this maroonNgloid
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:08 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:HJS is better at this maroonNgloid

yes. though I don't usually believe a word either of them type.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:53 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:... maroonNgloid

while i still plan to refer to jobias's jock strap as "roonie" this is an excellent alternative
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:HJS is better at this maroonNgloid

yes. though I don't usually believe a word either of them type.

As the reader, I like to suspend disbelief on HJS posts when and if it fits my preconceived notions. Otherwise, I say Mo-J a lot.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Return to Conte Forum